Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport England report on transgender women

Comments

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    It isn't about right/left; it's about the right of women to compete in a fair and, more importantly, safe environment.

There's a transgender MMA fighter who used to be a special forces soldier in the US army who has been beating the shit out of women in the ring.  No amount of hormone therapy can fix the physiological advantage here, or in any physical sport for that matter.

Look at the following example:  

https://www.sportskeeda.com/mma/news-when-transgender-fighter-fallon-fox-broke-opponent-s-skull-mma-fight

Seriously, do you think that this fair or safe?

I think that it is nothing short of insane, quite frankly.
    Here are a few of my viewpoints:

1) It's probably not safe, inherently;
    2) Fallon Fox lost to Ashlee Evans-Smith, a cis woman, in one of her six fights;
    3) A fractured orbital is a not-uncommon injury;
    4) She hasn't fought since 2014, so it is potentially slightly disingenuous to bring up what appears to be a resolved thing.

I struggle immensely with the issue of trans women in sports but hysteria's not the way to combat it.
    Given the most vocal opponents of including transwomen in female sport are women, calling their objections "hysteria" is at best a really poor choice of words.
    This is very true, and I apologise unreservedly.

I'll substitute in "disingenuous moral grandstanding from one of CL's chief pseudo-intellectual wind up merchants" for this particular instance.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    aliwibble said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    It isn't about right/left; it's about the right of women to compete in a fair and, more importantly, safe environment.

There's a transgender MMA fighter who used to be a special forces soldier in the US army who has been beating the shit out of women in the ring.  No amount of hormone therapy can fix the physiological advantage here, or in any physical sport for that matter.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/mma/news-when-transgender-fighter-fallon-fox-broke-opponent-s-skull-mma-fight

2) Fallon Fox lost to Ashlee Evans-Smith, a cis woman, in one of her six fights;
    4) She hasn't fought since 2014, so it is potentially slightly disingenuous to bring up what appears to be a resolved thing.

I struggle immensely with the issue of trans women in sports but hysteria's not the way to combat it.
    Given the most vocal opponents of including transwomen in female sport are women, calling their objections "hysteria" is at best a really poor choice of words.

I'll substitute in "disingenuous moral grandstanding from one of CL's chief pseudo-intellectual wind up merchants" for this particular instance.
    Why, thank you very much. 

By 'wind up merchant' you mean 'someone who sometime disagrees with the self-proclaimed font of all knowledge and wisdom'? 

You consider yourself an ACTUAL intellectual, I assume?
  • Options
    I am generally of the opinion that self determination is the way forward in life and that people should be able to identify how they choose and that should not impact them on living a full life free from harassment and hindrance. However when it comes to elite level sport it does become more complicated, as anyone born male will have a different physiology to someone born female and this is not something that can be completely altered later.

Unfortunate as it may be for some people wanting to compete, I do think that in all elite sports where men and women compete separately the presence of a Y chromosome should exclude someone from competing in a Woman’s event. This may seem unfair to some, but it is not about excluding someone because of prejudice but maintaining a level playing field.

The alternative to this is to take the para sport approach and classify people according to their physical attributes, that’s certainly not something I think would be sensible.

Women’s sport for many years and in many disciplines has played second fiddle to men’s sport and is now starting to enjoy greater coverage. This can only be good for girls growing up interested in sport in seeing more role models they can identify with. A level playing field is needed to keep integrity of competition and continue the growth.
  • Options
    I am generally of the opinion that self determination is the way forward in life and that people should be able to identify how they choose and that should not impact them on living a full life free from harassment and hindrance. However when it comes to elite level sport it does become more complicated, as anyone born male will have a different physiology to someone born female and this is not something that can be completely altered later.

Unfortunate as it may be for some people wanting to compete, I do think that in all elite sports where men and women compete separately the presence of a Y chromosome should exclude someone from competing in a Woman’s event. This may seem unfair to some, but it is not about excluding someone because of prejudice but maintaining a level playing field.

The alternative to this is to take the para sport approach and classify people according to their physical attributes, that’s certainly not something I think would be sensible.

Women’s sport for many years and in many disciplines has played second fiddle to men’s sport and is now starting to enjoy greater coverage. This can only be good for girls growing up interested in sport in seeing more role models they can identify with. A level playing field is needed to keep integrity of competition and continue the growth.
    Agreed. A very good point about the greater profile and coverage of women's sport - not maintaining a level playing field would be a step back.  Very much not about excluding anyone but maintaining a fair and level playing field.

For the athletes who have transitioned, there is a difference between transitioning before and after puberty though, so not sure if there needs to be a further categories to take this into account
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    aliwibble said:
    PaddyP17 said:

Why, thank you very much. 

By 'wind up merchant' you mean 'someone who sometime disagrees with the self-proclaimed font of all knowledge and wisdom'? 

You consider yourself an ACTUAL intellectual, I assume?
    Find an instance in my comments where I proclaim myself the "font of all knowledge and wisdom". I look forward to you doing so.

Leuth's already covered it. You have misframed what I said, and you characterise me as a "principal bed-wetter" on any sort of social justice issue that I comment on, when I have perhaps contributed something like 10 comments on somewhere between six and a dozen threads in the last six months.

You do this thing, too, that really fucks me off, because it also happened to Seth to an extent. You - or in a thread from November, someone like [won't name the poster] or whatever - will dismiss whatever I'm saying as "typical" or "pot meet kettle" or "so predictable", without engaging with any of what I say, to try and caricature me as this weirdo rambly "ultra woke" or "social justice" or "PC gone mad" or "principal bed-wetter" type. In fact, the bulk of what I do on CL is just piss around on the NFL thread, the various comps, or post-match views etc.

---------------------

When it comes to trans issues, though, I feel it's something I just... have to speak up about. Trans people are orders of magnitude more likely to be murdered, abused/assaulted (sexually or otherwise), denied healthcare they need etc etc while they're just trying to live their lives. 

When it comes to the issue of trans women in sport, obviously I struggle with it, as all of my comments in the past have shown. When it comes to combat sports then I don't really think it should be allowed, but I'm a cishet man, so I don't really like to express my opinion on issues I have no literal stake in.

But I do want to call you out on saying "male on female violence". Not only is that disingenuous, it is also subtle erasure of someone who's trans, and disrespects the fact that Fallon Fox is female. But I suspect you know EXACTLY what you are doing when you slip nasty comments like that in.
  • Options
    If anyone should be allowed to call themselves the font of all knowledge (although, as far as I am aware, has never done so and I can't imagine ever would), it would be CL's Jazz Home Studio winner. 
  • Options
    I think people think this issue is a far far bigger problem than it actually is. 

The 'highest profile' debate on the topic was Caster Samenya and she wasn't even a transgender athlete. 
  • Options
    I think people think this issue is a far far bigger problem than it actually is. 

The 'highest profile' debate on the topic was Caster Samenya and she wasn't even a transgender athlete. 
    Similar issues though which give her an advantage.She was born inter-sex. So she's more both than either.

This thread is a about transgender women in sport and not about the issues of abuse, harassment and other things transgender people in general may suffer more than others. 

I can't think of an example immediately but it might be possible a transgender man may have advantages competing against men who have not transitioned.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Similar issues though which give her an advantage.She was born inter-sex. So she's more both than either.

This thread is a about transgender women in sport and not about the issues of abuse, harassment and other things transgender people in general may suffer more than others. 

I can't think of an example immediately but it might be possible a transgender man may have advantages competing against men who have not transitioned.

No she's a female assigned at birth. 

Denying her own gender just to suit your point doesn't really work. 
  • Options

I thought her test results were never published? But leaked results said she was inter sex with XY chromosomes as opposed to inter sex with XX. Being assigned at birth is more about living in one gender or the other as most people in society do.

I do feel immensely sorry for her with how it all played out in the public eye and the lack of respect payed to her dignity. However, having a Y chromosome does give a significant advantage to anyone competing in female sport. With blood passports now used in sport to help reduce drug cheating, this could be easily identified before it was questioned so publicly.
  • Options

I am not denying her gender. And certainly not to suit my point.

They did not appreciate her condition at birth

Semenya is an intersex woman, with XY chromosomes and naturally elevated testosterone levels.
  • Options

Semenya is an intersex woman, with XY chromosomes and naturally elevated testosterone levels.
    Not just testosterone also muscle development and body fat deposits and bone density to name just a few, are all connected to differences to XX and XY.
  • Options

Not just testosterone also muscle development and body fat deposits and bone density to name just a few, are all connected to differences to XX and XY.
    Exactly. Maybe others are denying the facts. To make their point?

I do feel sorry for her; it is no fault of hers that she has an unfair advantage
  • Options

I do feel sorry for her; it is no fault of hers that she has an unfair advantage
    Not denying the facts. 

Just saying the issue is more complicated than just saying ban all transgender people. 

The most high profile athlete for example was born a female. Never transitioned. 

Was treated like an animal and degraded because she wasn't born 'correctly'.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Not denying the facts. 

Just saying the issue is more complicated than just saying ban all transgender people. 

The most high profile athlete for example was born a female. Never transitioned. 

This thread is about transgender women, rather than women naturally born with a Y chromosome. People are individuals, but I have never thought or said ban all transgender people. In fact I have asked how those who trans before/after puberty can compete fairly.

I don't see that she was treated as an animal due to her unusual genetic circumstances. At least she was able to earn somewhat from her athletic success, albeit after hard work/training on her part but partly due to a very unusual genetic anomaly - not her fault but if it wasn't the case it is highly unlikely she would have been so successful without the advantage.

Not sure how she can compete but would like to think she should be able to, somehow.

She was not born a female. And no one has claimed she transitioned
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/itv-morning-criticised-over-interview-22931537
    ITV This Morning criticised over interview with woman who identifies as wolf.
  • Options

Not denying the facts. 

This thread is about transgender women, rather than women naturally born with a Y chromosome. People are individuals, but I have never thought or said ban all transgender people. In fact I have asked how those who trans before/after puberty can compete fairly.

I don't see that she was treated as an animal due to her unusual genetic circumstances. At least she was able to earn somewhat from her athletic success, albeit after hard work/training on her part but partly due to a very unusual genetic anomaly - not her fault but if it wasn't the case it is highly unlikely she would have been so successful without the advantage.

Not sure how she can compete but would like to think she should be able to, somehow.

Forced to undergo a 'sex verification test' and having her results leaked to the media is inhumane treatment. 

"After she won the African Junior Championships in 2009, Athletics South Africa—at the request of World Athletics—conducted sex-verification testing on Semenya; she was not given an explanation and thought the tests would be for doping."

'She was not born a female' is very incorrect. 

She is a woman with a DSD condition, that does not make her any less of a woman than you. She was assigned female at birth and has lived her entire life as a woman. 
  • Options

Not denying the facts. 

Forced to undergo a 'sex verification test' and having her results leaked to the media is inhumane treatment. 

"After she won the African Junior Championships in 2009, Athletics South Africa—at the request of World Athletics—conducted sex-verification testing on Semenya; she was not given an explanation and thought the tests would be for doping."

'She was not born a female' is very incorrect. 

She is a woman with a DSD condition, that does not make her any less of a woman than you. She was assigned female at birth and has lived her entire life as a woman. 
    'She was born a female' is not correct. Just because she was 'assigned' female at birth does not mean it was/is correct. They didn't know she had a Y chromosome nor that she had testes. And subsequently significantly elevated testosterone. Not her doing, just a rare condition.

She is not a woman as such but a rare subset of gender as defined in between genders. Maybe it could be said she doesn't even have to chose a gender, apart from when competing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    An NHS explanation of different types of indeterminate sex for those who are interested 
  • Options
    We either get rid of gender categories or assign a new one for transgender athletes.
  • Options
    We either get rid of gender categories or assign a new one for transgender athletes.
    The idea of a 'freak show' category isn't one I can really get behind. 

Testosterone limits is pretty much the only ruling you can do to make it 'fair'. However, like when athletes dope, there are ways of masking levels and bringing it back down in line ready for competition. 
  • Options

Testosterone limits is pretty much the only ruling you can do to make it 'fair'. However, like when athletes dope, there are ways of masking levels and bringing it back down in line ready for competition. 
    It will never be 'fair' or objective. Trans women are not the same as biological women physiologically.
  • Options

It will never be 'fair' or objective. Trans women are not the same as biological women physiologically.
    Exactly. It is not fair.

SELR_addicks why would it be a 'freak show'? You use the word 'freak'. Maybe a category for athletes who transition before puberty and one for those post.

Trans women are not the same as biological women and it is unfair to compete against
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Exactly. It is not fair.

SELR_addicks why would it be a 'freak show'? You use the word 'freak'. Maybe a category for athletes who transition before puberty and one for those post.

Trans women are not the same as biological women and it is unfair to compete against
    Because it is 'othering' trans people. Regarding them as lesser or separate from main society. 

Think about the reaction the mass public would have to a 'trans' category within the Olympics and whether that is beneficial to the athletes' mental health or not? 

Think of the abuse that women first received (and still receive) when the Women's Premier League was introduced and times it by a thousand. 
  • Options

Exactly. It is not fair.

Because it is 'othering' trans people. Regarding them as lesser or separate from main society. 

Think about the reaction the mass public would have to a 'trans' category within the Olympics and whether that is beneficial to the athletes' mental health or not? 

Think of the abuse that women first received (and still receive) when the Women's Premier League was introduced and times it by a thousand. 
    People who have transitioned are not lesser or separate but are different.

In the same way men are different to women. That difference means they compete separately in many sports because the difference means they cannot compete against one another fairly.

Trans women are not the same as biological women and it is unfair to compete against them in sports where the difference is an advantage. So that would be most, but not necessarily all, sports where men and women compete separately.

Some sports are even divided further to make competition fair, such as boxing, judo - mostly on weight or experience
  • Options

Exactly. It is not fair.

In the same way men are different to women. That difference means they compete separately in many sports because the difference means they cannot compete against one another fairly.

Trans women are not the same as biological women and it is unfair to compete against them in sports where the difference is an advantage. So that would be most, but not necessarily all, sports where men and women compete separately.

Some sports are even divided further to make competition fair, such as boxing, judo - mostly on weight or experience
    I broadly agree with you on this but I do not support an 'other' category. The solution is to find an objective way of establishing, on a case by case basis, whether or not an individual trans woman athlete can compete against other women on an equal basis without an unfair advantage based on biological make-up. If the result of that objective testing is that they cannot then the individual is ruled out of competing against other women. Don't ask me what that objective measurement would be!

The same goes for women transitioning to men, although that scenario is much less likely of course. 

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Exactly. It is not fair.

I broadly agree with you on this but I do not support an 'other' category. The solution is to find an objective way of establishing, on a case by case basis, whether or not an individual trans woman athlete can compete against other women on an equal basis without an unfair advantage based on biological make-up. If the result of that objective testing is that they cannot then the individual is ruled out of competing against other women. Don't ask me what that objective measurement would be!

The same goes for women transitioning to men, although that scenario is much less likely of course. 

Even if it were possible to determine IF an individual trans woman can compete in a particular sport fairly alongside naturally born women, what about those who are deemed not able to compete fairly, what happens to them? They need a category to be able to compete in and if transitioning after puberty is an advantage (for a particular person in a particular sport) then there may need to be 2 categories - it would not be fair on those who transitioned pre-puberty to have to compete with those who transitioned post-puberty.

It is about fair competition, not labelling anyone, just like in the para categories. They even had to assess if running with blades was any advantage on non-para athletics
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!