Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport England report on transgender women

Comments

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    Chizz said:
    If it's ok for a women to be a cox in a men's boat race (for what it's worth, I think it is), then, by extension, it should be ok for men to row in the women's boat race, since their bodies are likely to be more ideally matched to the requirements of the sport (for what it's worth, I don't think this is ok). 
    WTAF are you talking about Chizz? The marginal gains from having a lighter cox in a men's 8 are nothing like the same as having the additional power of a male rower in a female boat.
    I'm exaggerating the point to make it. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Anyone born a man should never be able to compete in women’s sport for obvious reasons and out of fairness it shouldn’t happen the other way round either . 
    Just my opinion. 
    Would you ban a female cox in a men's rowing eight? 
    Physicality is not an issue in that instance.
    Physicality is absolutely at the forefront of this issue.  Take two people who are matched in terms of presence, knowledge, understanding and authority, one male, one female, the only difference will be the physical size and, critically, weight of the two people.  What happens?  The female is usually chosen over the male, precisely because of her physicality and the gender-related size and weight of her body. 

In your scenario ("...out of fairness it shouldn't happen the other way round either") then men are going to be overlooked for the role of cox by women. Women's bodies are ideally matched to the requirements of the role of cox. 

If it's ok for a women to be a cox in a men's boat race (for what it's worth, I think it is), then, by extension, it should be ok for men to row in the women's boat race, since their bodies are likely to be more ideally matched to the requirements of the sport (for what it's worth, I don't think this is ok).  

In short, there's no blanket solution to the issue of gender barriers in sport. 
    Nonsense. Look at Sport England’s recommendations. Is that not a solution?
    Look at the report, which literally says there is no blanket solution. I mean, it literally says that. And it's okay to say there may be many varied solutions sport by sport, etc. I am uncomfortable with the idea of MtF trans women playing full contact sport in many scenarios tbf.

I'm also incredibly disappointed at the editorialising by the BBC headline: "Transgender inclusion, fairness and safety often cannot co-exist", says major review

This - if you didn't know it was about sport - just sounds anti-trans. And I think it's probably deliberate, given the BBC's inexcusable coverage of things like Tavistock.

There is an undercurrent of subtle - and some not so subtle - anti-trans sentiment throughout mainstream media at the moment, and it's absolutely growing. And it is really infuriating to read.
    Totally disagree. It’s like you’re looking for anti Trans sentiment. Don’t worry about buzzwords like “blanket solutions”. What they have recommended is a solution. You CAN have solutions to these difficult situations. Granted, it won’t please everyone but it doesn’t have to be binary. I’m sure you’ll agree that the Laurel Hubbard situation benefited no one. It wasn’t progress and Laurel said afterward that they just wanted to go home. 
    Laurel Hubbard competing as a trans woman in a woman's sport on the world's biggest stage is a hugely important landmark.

Was it... right? I don't know enough to pass comment. But I think it probably benefited trans people, who are grossly underrepresented in sport, to have some visibility - despite the attendant brouhaha.

She had to pass a load of testing to compete in the Olympics to prove she didn't have excessive testosterone. She did record a lift and a Brit got the silver which most people weren't as bothered about. You also get some trans v female MMA and Boxing matches in hick promotions which seem to just take place to wind people up. :/

It's a complex situation where people who aren't experts believe they are. I think Huskaris has summed it up for me.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Anyone born a man should never be able to compete in women’s sport for obvious reasons and out of fairness it shouldn’t happen the other way round either . 
    Just my opinion. 
    Would you ban a female cox in a men's rowing eight? 
    Physicality is not an issue in that instance.
    Physicality is absolutely at the forefront of this issue.  Take two people who are matched in terms of presence, knowledge, understanding and authority, one male, one female, the only difference will be the physical size and, critically, weight of the two people.  What happens?  The female is usually chosen over the male, precisely because of her physicality and the gender-related size and weight of her body. 

In your scenario ("...out of fairness it shouldn't happen the other way round either") then men are going to be overlooked for the role of cox by women. Women's bodies are ideally matched to the requirements of the role of cox. 

In short, there's no blanket solution to the issue of gender barriers in sport. 
    Nonsense. Look at Sport England’s recommendations. Is that not a solution?
    Look at the report, which literally says there is no blanket solution. I mean, it literally says that. And it's okay to say there may be many varied solutions sport by sport, etc. I am uncomfortable with the idea of MtF trans women playing full contact sport in many scenarios tbf.

I'm also incredibly disappointed at the editorialising by the BBC headline: "Transgender inclusion, fairness and safety often cannot co-exist", says major review

This - if you didn't know it was about sport - just sounds anti-trans. And I think it's probably deliberate, given the BBC's inexcusable coverage of things like Tavistock.

There is an undercurrent of subtle - and some not so subtle - anti-trans sentiment throughout mainstream media at the moment, and it's absolutely growing. And it is really infuriating to read.
    Totally disagree. It’s like you’re looking for anti Trans sentiment. Don’t worry about buzzwords like “blanket solutions”. What they have recommended is a solution. You CAN have solutions to these difficult situations. Granted, it won’t please everyone but it doesn’t have to be binary. I’m sure you’ll agree that the Laurel Hubbard situation benefited no one. It wasn’t progress and Laurel said afterward that they just wanted to go home. 
    Laurel Hubbard competing as a trans woman in a woman's sport on the world's biggest stage is a hugely important landmark.

Was it... right? I don't know enough to pass comment. But I think it probably benefited trans people, who are grossly underrepresented in sport, to have some visibility - despite the attendant brouhaha.
    Your right but I think it's so likley that we can consider it a fact that no trans man is ever going to be a world class athlete?

If you are a woman transitioning to a man you give up any chance you had of playing any elite sport. Is it so wrong that it works the other way round?  I don't know, my gut feeling though is it isn't.

That's before you consider potential abuse of any rules that are introduced. 
  • Options
    Funnily enough a male won a gold medal at a woman's event in the Tokyo Olympics.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Funnily enough a male won a gold medal at a woman's event in the Tokyo Olympics.
    Are you talking about one of the runners with a DSD, Seth? That's another can of worms entirely.
  • Options
    https://www.iwf.org/competition-report

Competitive sport is a zero-sum game where some athletes make the cut, and others do not; someone wins, and others lose. In a zero-sum competition, the inclusion of male-bodied athletes in women’s sport inevitably denies opportunities to female athletes. 

As the number of male-bodied athletes seeking to compete on women’s teams and in women’s events grows, the risks to female athletes also grow. Claims to the contrary deny science, defy logic, and undermine Title IX.

Independent Women’s Law Center and Independent Women’s Forum released a new report titled, Competition: Title IX, Male-Bodied Athletes, and the Threat To Women’s Sports. 

The report is available to download

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Competitive sport is a zero-sum game where some athletes make the cut, and others do not; someone wins, and others lose. In a zero-sum competition, the inclusion of male-bodied athletes in women’s sport inevitably denies opportunities to female athletes. 

As the number of male-bodied athletes seeking to compete on women’s teams and in women’s events grows, the risks to female athletes also grow. Claims to the contrary deny science, defy logic, and undermine Title IX.

Independent Women’s Law Center and Independent Women’s Forum released a new report titled, Competition: Title IX, Male-Bodied Athletes, and the Threat To Women’s Sports. 

Seems like a right-wing think tank that aren't bringing anything new to the debate. Just typical right-wing view points. 
    You've lost the plot. 
  • Options

Seems like a right-wing think tank that aren't bringing anything new to the debate. Just typical right-wing view points. 
    WTF????
  • Options
    I am alllll about them trans rights and I think the bathroom debates are horseshit but I do struggle with trans women in women's sport. My current thinking is that it's something that can really only be judged on a case by case basis. It definitely presents more of a problem in power sports than skill or endurance ones. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I am alllll about them trans rights and I think the bathroom debates are horseshit but I do struggle with trans women in women's sport. My current thinking is that it's something that can really only be judged on a case by case basis. It definitely presents more of a problem in power sports than skill or endurance ones. 
    And driving sports
  • Options

Why does it have to be about right (or left wing)? Is someone not allowed to have an opinion about something without it having to be right/left or whatever wing? 

Too much politics in sport and too much pigeon-holing opinions; we need to be more open-minded
    I generally agree with what you say. 

I just think the website is garbage. You could have posted your opinion about transgender athletes in sport and it holds as much weight as that website. 

The 'denial of women' in female sports don't really have enough transgender athletes within the sport to really look like it's having a major effect. We don't have full transgender female football teams winning the Women's Premier League etc. 

1 or 2 transgender athletes are getting a huge amount of coverage. Far outweighing how big the actual 'issue' is. 
  • Options

It isn't about right/left; it's about the right of women to compete in a fair and, more importantly, safe environment.

There's a transgender MMA fighter who used to be a special forces soldier in the US army who has been beating the shit out of women in the ring.  No amount of hormone therapy can fix the physiological advantage here, or in any physical sport for that matter.

Look at the following example:  

https://www.sportskeeda.com/mma/news-when-transgender-fighter-fallon-fox-broke-opponent-s-skull-mma-fight

Seriously, do you think that this fair or safe?

I think that it is nothing short of insane, quite frankly.
    https://www.outsports.com/2021/2/22/22296155/fallon-fox-trans-mma-fighter-lie-inclusion-misleading
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It isn't about right/left; it's about the right of women to compete in a fair and, more importantly, safe environment.

There's a transgender MMA fighter who used to be a special forces soldier in the US army who has been beating the shit out of women in the ring.  No amount of hormone therapy can fix the physiological advantage here, or in any physical sport for that matter.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/mma/news-when-transgender-fighter-fallon-fox-broke-opponent-s-skull-mma-fight

Here are a few of my viewpoints:

1) It's probably not safe, inherently;
    2) Fallon Fox lost to Ashlee Evans-Smith, a cis woman, in one of her six fights;
    3) A fractured orbital is a not-uncommon injury;
    4) She hasn't fought since 2014, so it is potentially slightly disingenuous to bring up what appears to be a resolved thing.

I struggle immensely with the issue of trans women in sports but hysteria's not the way to combat it.
  • Options

Why does it have to be about right (or left wing)? Is someone not allowed to have an opinion about something without it having to be right/left or whatever wing? 

Too much politics in sport and too much pigeon-holing opinions; we need to be more open-minded
    I generally agree with what you say. 

I just think the website is garbage. You could have posted your opinion about transgender athletes in sport and it holds as much weight as that website. 

The 'denial of women' in female sports don't really have enough transgender athletes within the sport to really look like it's having a major effect. We don't have full transgender female football teams winning the Women's Premier League etc. 

1 or 2 transgender athletes are getting a huge amount of coverage. Far outweighing how big the actual 'issue' is. 
    I have posted several times about my opinions on it. I posted about the report as just read about it.

Why does everything and every opinion have to politicised and right/left/whatever wing though? People can have independent thoughts and opinions that don't need to be pigeon-holed
  • Options

https://www.outsports.com/2021/2/22/22296155/fallon-fox-trans-mma-fighter-lie-inclusion-misleading
    Nice try, but another fail.

'The orbits are bony structures of the skull that house the globe, extraocular muscles, nerves, blood vessels, lacrimal apparatus, and adipose tissue. Each orbit protects the globe, while the supportive tissues allow the globe to move in three dimensions (horizontal, vertical, and torsional)'

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

So, part of the skull was broken.  All this article is trying to do is justify mean beating the shit out of women.

Are you also OK with domestic violence or is only alright when the male perpetrator puts on a dress?

• Options
    Pot meet kettle, Paddy.

You are one of the principal bed-wetters hereabouts when it comes to the latest woke moral panic.

Still, it's interesting to see who is making excuses for male on female violence on this thread.  Very interesting.
  • Options
    Wtf is a "cis woman"?

Is it the same thing as a woman?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Off_it said:
    Wtf is a "cis woman"?

Is it the same thing as a woman?
    Erm, yes.

It appears to be what was once known as a 'woman'.

Now f**k off and check your privilege, ya cis-scum. ;)
    Are you assuming my race and gender, girlfriend?
  • Options

'The orbits are bony structures of the skull that house the globe, extraocular muscles, nerves, blood vessels, lacrimal apparatus, and adipose tissue. Each orbit protects the globe, while the supportive tissues allow the globe to move in three dimensions (horizontal, vertical, and torsional)'

So, part of the skull was broken.  All this article is trying to do is justify mean beating the shit out of women.

Are you also OK with domestic violence or is only alright when the male perpetrator puts on a dress?

No it's merely pointing out the reality of combat sports. 
  • Options

I think you count the number of CL members who are OK with domestic violence on the fingers of one ear. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!