Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ongoing British Tennis…

Comments

• Options
    The thread goes quiet and Emma is winning, hmmmm i notice she is through to the Korea Open Semi final, she is 6th seed. Haven't seen anything about it, just thought i would update the thread, hopefully Emma can win.  Likely to play top seed Ostapenko who is currently playing
    Well observed.

I've been too preoccupied with Kent in the last day or two to keep up with the tennis.

I do know Ostapenko has been in bad form too by her own standards.
  • Options
    Really pleased to see Emma stringing a few victories together and staying injury free.

• Options
    Really pleased to see Emma stringing a few victories together and staying injury free.

Spoke too soon - retired injured in the semi-final when trailing 4-6, 6-3, 3-0
  • Options
    This is, I believe, Raducanu's fourth retirement of the year and of course she retired at Wimbledon last year too. How many players retire with that level of frequency? Either her body or her mind (or a combination of the two) just aren't up to it at the moment. Very sad as she is so talented. 
  • Options
    Oh FFS.

Emma really needs a good off season with a top fitness and conditioning coach, as this is getting ridiculous.
  • Options
    Oh FFS.

Emma really needs a good off season with a top fitness and conditioning coach, as this is getting ridiculous.
    As I say, is it her body or her mind? Injury is something all top level athletes have to face but some have a higher pain threshold than others. I would be inclined to play this down if we didn't have the evidence of her Wimbledon meltdown when there wasn't anything physically wrong with her but the situation caused her to hyper ventilate.

The other aspect is that she never had the experience to touring before she won the US Open - that would have been both her mental and physical grounding - but now she is having to learn how to cope as a Grand Slam winner. Which is quite unusual in itself and also creates more pressure by virtue of the weight of expectation she puts on herself.
  • Options
    My bet would be coaching, or a sport ambassador of some kind, and some guest commentary work…

or perhaps one of the huge cosmetics deals that turned her head immediately after the US Open win.
  • Options
    Is she related to Chuks ?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Disappointed to hear that after having a good Tournament to reach the semi final, Emma has again retired in a match.

It was a fantastic achievement to win the US open in 2021 which has/will make Raducanu rich beyond her wildest dreams.

With the qualifying she must've won about 12 matches without any injury problems.

A novice becomes a slam winner, and then the pressure with the mind and body out of sync and everyone gunning for you have resulted in injuries and instead of some stability she changes her coaches more often than Watford change their managers !

Those of you that follow the woman's game closely will know that many woman including teenagers can win a slam and then struggle. The feisty Ostapenko is just one of several young woman that find it difficult to win another slam after early success.
    Maria Sharapova won Wimbledon at 17 and not helped by her nemesis Serena Williams but it took her a long time to win more slams.

This sounds really negative but I would be astounded if Emma ever won another slam not because she lacks talent but just like a Royal Princess, she is now a big fish and unfortunately Raducanu is swimming against the tide and wisdom is difficult to find when you are the boss and those closest to you are on the pay role (not her parents).

The mind is our strength and weakness.
  • Options
    Shame for Emma particularly as she took the first set.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Raucanu's season is over. It's been a case of one injury/illness after another. Hopefully she returns next year fresh and fit.

Emma Raducanu’s season has come to a premature end with her withdrawal from next week’s Transylvania Open, caused by a minor wrist injury along with a desire to make an early start on her pre-season work.

The wrist problem, coming two days after she was beaten in the first round of the Agel Open in Ostrava by Daria Kasatkina, is the latest in a litany of injuries that have blighted Raducanu’s first full season on the WTA Tour.

Raducanu, the British No 1, had recently expressed her excitement at the prospect of returning to play in Romania, where her father grew up and where she still has family, but will now focus on strengthening her body in pre-season in the hope of a more consistent run next season. Although Raducanu, 19, had been offered a wild-card invitation to play in the Guadalajara Open later this month, she will not be travelling to Mexico.

Last year, after her extraordinary victory as a qualifier in the US Open, Raducanu’s pre-season was badly interrupted when she caught Covid in December. This year there is a determination to take more time to prepare for the rigours of regular competition on tour, in the hope of avoiding injuries.In the two other tournaments she had played in since being beaten in the first round of her US Open title defence by Alizé Cornet, Raducanu had been troubled by minor niggles. She sustained a thigh injury during her second-round defeat by Anna-Lena Friedsam in Portoroz, Slovenia, then made good progress to the semi-finals of the Hana Bank Open in Korea before she was forced to retire during her semi-final against Jelena Ostapenko.Earlier this year, she withdrew from the Italian Open in Rome with a back injury and then sustained an abdominal muscle strain in Nottingham. During her defeat by Cornet in New York, she was hampered by blisters on her hand.Now a wrist injury has prevented her from returning to play in Romania. “Unfortunately, Emma will not be with us at this edition of the Transylvania Open, due to an injury,” a statement from the tournament organisers said. “We know that many fans wanted to see the player with Romanian origins on the court, and we would have liked to offer them this experience. However, tennis is unpredictable, and in such situations the only solution is recovery. We wish Emma the best of health and to get back on the field as soon as possible.”
  • Options
    Emma reportedly sacked the coach who was her teacher and guide for months before her US victory. She is now being 'mentored' by long term LTA time server Jeremy Bates, BIG mistake Emma. I have said before and repeat, the US win was a one off and I doubt she will win another grand slam. Her future is in the media, she is personable, attractive and eloquent, she'll do well in that environment
    Saving this tripe for exposure at regular intervals over the next 15 years. 
    still 14 years to go
  • Options
    "Emma will not be with us at this edition of the Transylvania Open, due to an injury"

Relieved to hear it's not a bite injury 
  • Options
    "Emma will not be with us at this edition of the Transylvania Open, due to an injury"

Relieved to hear it's not a bite injury 
    I have visions of Christopher Lee's Dracula now...
  • Options
    Raducanu's coach has left her, so she's looking for another one.

More positively she's hired Jez Green, Andy Murray's former fitness coach and Charlton fan.
  • Options
    Surely with so many coaches being fired the problem is her?

Maybe Murray was a willing participant with this guy and worked with him.

Sounds like Raducanu is not willing to show any guts/fortitude and quits easily. 
  • Options
    Raducanu's coach has left her, so she's looking for another one.

More positively she's hired Jez Green, Andy Murray's former fitness coach and Charlton fan.
    I think Matt Little Murray's other fitness coach rather than Jez Green is the Charlton fan.

That said I agree with your point re Emma.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Shame you won't be able to afford to turn them on. Only joking.
    Well done. 
  • Options
    Not British tennis but couldn't see another relevant tennis thread.

Two-time Grand Slam champion Simona Halep has been provisionally suspended from tennis after testing positive for a banned substance.

The former world number one provided a sample, which tested positive for roxadustat, at August's US Open.

Roxadustat increases the production of oxygen-carrying red blood cells through the endogenous production of the hormone erythropoietin (EPO).

Romanian Halep, 31, said it came as the "biggest shock of her life".

"Today begins the hardest match of my life: a fight for the truth," she wrote on Twitter.

"Throughout my whole career, the idea of cheating never even crossed my mind once, as it is totally against all the values I have been educated with.

"Facing such an unfair situation, I feel completely confused and betrayed."

Halep, who won the French Open in 2018 and Wimbledon the following year, said that she had tested positive for roxadustat "in an extremely low quantity", adding she would "fight until the end".

Not really someone i'd consider as needing to cheat and it clearly didn't do much good as she's not had a great year and actually lost in the first round at the US Open. But it doesn't just appear from nowhere and maybe the 'extremely low quantity' is because it was on its way out of her system?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably get the usual 'my coach gave this to me and said it was harmless' excuse.
  • Options
    An inference that the reasons for Raducanu's constant change of coach lie close to home:

The former coach of Emma Raducanu has revealed that his decision to leave the former US Open champion’s support team this month was due to “red flags that just couldn’t be ignored”.

Raducanu, 19, is searching for a fifth mentor in 16 months after Dmitry Tursunov — a 39-year-old Russian who was ranked as high as world No 20 during his playing career — chose not to extend their trial partnership. He had worked with Raducanu for two months, guiding her through her last seven tournaments of this season.

Speaking for the first time since the split was announced, Tursunov confirmed that attempts to negotiate a permanent arrangement with Raducanu’s management team for next season had raised concerns. He has not wasted time in moving on to a new coaching role with Switzerland’s Belinda Bencic, the world No 13 who won Olympic gold in Tokyo last year.

“I was walking away from Emma regardless of whether there was another [player] available or not,” Tursunov told the Tennis Majors website. “We didn’t agree on the terms and there were some red flags that just couldn’t be ignored. I wasn’t hopping from one player to another. I wouldn’t do that.

“Our trial period was over at the US Open [in August] but I stuck around, trying to see if there was going to be a way to impress the team. I really wanted to make it work. I felt like there were going to be problems later and I wanted to avoid them for my own peace of mind.”

Tursunov refused to give specifics, preferring not to answer a question about the person responsible for overseeing Raducanu’s coaching logistics. In June, before he joined Raducanu’s team, he “liked” a Twitter post from a tennis fan that suggested her parents were “mismanaging” and likened them to the “owner of a major league sports team telling the GM [general manager] to change coaches annually”.

Raducanu has a reputation on the WTA Tour for instability in her coaching team. Since making her breakthrough at Wimbledon last year she has worked with Nigel Sears, Andrew Richardson, Torben Beltz and Tursunov. There has been speculation throughout this period that her father, Ian, is still heavily involved in the management of her tennis affairs.

Tursunov was highly complimentary of Raducanu’s ability and attitude on the court. She reached a career-high world ranking of No 10 in the summer but now sits at No 76 after the defence of her US Open title ended in the first round. “She’s absolutely great, she’s a hard worker and she doesn’t think or act like she’s a superstar,” Tursunov said. “She is hungry to improve and is obsessed with tennis.

“In my opinion she’s [at] minimum a one-year project but I would say that she’s probably a 2½-year project, to be on the safe side. Her game is very raw and in many ways it could use a lot of improvement. But as I said to her and to pretty much everyone on her team: ‘You just need to have one voice and just try that for a bit. And then if it doesn’t work, you cross that off your list.’ ”

Raducanu is working with Jez Green, Andy Murray’s former physical trainer, to develop the strength needed to withstand the rigours of the tour. She is next scheduled to play for Great Britain in the Billie Jean King Cup finals, starting on November 8 in Glasgow.

Raducanu’s camp were contacted about Tursunov’s remarks but declined to comment.

• Options
    Not looking good based on that, such a shame as she clearly has the talent but injuries, keep changing coaches its starting to look more like a one hit wonder. Hope she can turn this around..
  • Options
    Not looking good based on that, such a shame as she clearly has the talent but injuries, keep changing coaches its starting to look more like a one hit wonder. Hope she can turn this around..
    I think the positive thing is that Tursunov isn't questioning her ability or hunger to improve. He's saying the complete opposite in fact. What appears to be happening is that her father is having too big an influence on things and questions that he will be asking will only serve to undermine any message her coaches are trying to give. That will then lead to a breakdown between the coach and Raducanu. She still has to avoid the injuries that have stifled her progress and the recruitment of Jez Green is clearly designed to do just that. 

If "they" can find a coach that they are prepared to give a couple of years to work with Raducanu then I'm sure that we will see a difference. Let's face it, it's only the fact that Raducanu won the US Open that the weight of expectation is so high. And despite winning that, she was never the finished article. It just so happened that all the stars aligned for her in that tournament.

• Options
    An inference that the reasons for Raducanu's constant change of coach lie close to home:

The former coach of Emma Raducanu has revealed that his decision to leave the former US Open champion’s support team this month was due to “red flags that just couldn’t be ignored”.

Raducanu, 19, is searching for a fifth mentor in 16 months after Dmitry Tursunov — a 39-year-old Russian who was ranked as high as world No 20 during his playing career — chose not to extend their trial partnership. He had worked with Raducanu for two months, guiding her through her last seven tournaments of this season.

Speaking for the first time since the split was announced, Tursunov confirmed that attempts to negotiate a permanent arrangement with Raducanu’s management team for next season had raised concerns. He has not wasted time in moving on to a new coaching role with Switzerland’s Belinda Bencic, the world No 13 who won Olympic gold in Tokyo last year.

“I was walking away from Emma regardless of whether there was another [player] available or not,” Tursunov told the Tennis Majors website. “We didn’t agree on the terms and there were some red flags that just couldn’t be ignored. I wasn’t hopping from one player to another. I wouldn’t do that.

“Our trial period was over at the US Open [in August] but I stuck around, trying to see if there was going to be a way to impress the team. I really wanted to make it work. I felt like there were going to be problems later and I wanted to avoid them for my own peace of mind.”

Tursunov refused to give specifics, preferring not to answer a question about the person responsible for overseeing Raducanu’s coaching logistics. In June, before he joined Raducanu’s team, he “liked” a Twitter post from a tennis fan that suggested her parents were “mismanaging” and likened them to the “owner of a major league sports team telling the GM [general manager] to change coaches annually”.

Raducanu has a reputation on the WTA Tour for instability in her coaching team. Since making her breakthrough at Wimbledon last year she has worked with Nigel Sears, Andrew Richardson, Torben Beltz and Tursunov. There has been speculation throughout this period that her father, Ian, is still heavily involved in the management of her tennis affairs.

Tursunov was highly complimentary of Raducanu’s ability and attitude on the court. She reached a career-high world ranking of No 10 in the summer but now sits at No 76 after the defence of her US Open title ended in the first round. “She’s absolutely great, she’s a hard worker and she doesn’t think or act like she’s a superstar,” Tursunov said. “She is hungry to improve and is obsessed with tennis.

“In my opinion she’s [at] minimum a one-year project but I would say that she’s probably a 2½-year project, to be on the safe side. Her game is very raw and in many ways it could use a lot of improvement. But as I said to her and to pretty much everyone on her team: ‘You just need to have one voice and just try that for a bit. And then if it doesn’t work, you cross that off your list.’ ”

Raducanu is working with Jez Green, Andy Murray’s former physical trainer, to develop the strength needed to withstand the rigours of the tour. She is next scheduled to play for Great Britain in the Billie Jean King Cup finals, starting on November 8 in Glasgow.

Raducanu’s camp were contacted about Tursunov’s remarks but declined to comment.

We didn’t agree on the terms   might just be me but that reads as "they/she wouldn't agree to pay me enough".
    Sounds like she's taken his advice actually: I said to her and to pretty much everyone on her team: ‘You just need to have one voice and just try that for a bit. And then if it doesn’t work, you cross that off your list.  And she's crossed him off her list.  Pros all have numerous assistants/support/fitness/agent etc etc,  they're not gonna be mute are they?
    No need for the sour grapes as he's landed himself another job pronto.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

We didn’t agree on the terms   might just be me but that reads as "they/she wouldn't agree to pay me enough".
    Sounds like she's taken his advice actually: I said to her and to pretty much everyone on her team: ‘You just need to have one voice and just try that for a bit. And then if it doesn’t work, you cross that off your list.  And she's crossed him off her list.  Pros all have numerous assistants/support/fitness/agent etc etc,  they're not gonna be mute are they?
    No need for the sour grapes as he's landed himself another job pronto.
    It's the interference of the father that he is referring to. Raducanu isn't going to cross him off that list and will always rightly trust and listen to him unless relationship between them breaks down. But if this is true then he needs to trust her coaches too. At the other end of the scale there have been some truly awful parents of sports stars and in tennis in particular e.g. the fathers of Jelena Dokic, Jennifer Capriati and Mary Pierce to name three.
  • Options
    Murray through to Semi Final of Qatar Open. Up against Lehecka who knocked out the No 1 seed Rublev.
  • Options
    Murray through to Semi Final of Qatar Open. Up against Lehecka who knocked out the No 1 seed Rublev.
    Great run so far. He'll squeeze inside the world top 50 if he can win the next match. Hovering just outside the top 40 if he can win the tournament and a very real possibility that he might be able to grab a seeding by the time Wimbledon comes around.