Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ongoing British Tennis…

Comments

• Options
    Evans will play his second round tomorrow by the looks of it.
  • Options
    Evans today, looks like a 50/50 , but Evans with age and experience. I think he might lose today
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Norrie wins in straight sets 6-3 6-4 6-3. Karen Khachanov of Russia (21st seed) awaits in round three.

If Norrie wins, it would be his first ever 4th round appearance in a Grand Slam.
    Feels weird that a player can make the top 10 without getting past the 3rd round in any Slam!
  • Options
    Evans today, looks like a 50/50 , but Evans with age and experience. I think he might lose today
    Yep i was correct Evans lost, Norrie later with a potential tricky game 3-2 record in his favour, could be a close one. 
  • Options
    Norrie not going well. Is he carrying a leg injury?
  • Options
    Norrie loses in four sets 2-6 5-7 6-4 4-6. Still yet to make the fourth round of a Grand Slam.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Andy Murray is into the semi finals of the Surbiton Trophy where he is playing as number 1 seed (his ranking now sits at world number 67). Dan Evans won this event when it was last played in 2019.

Murray won his first three matches without dropping a set and now faces Denis Kudla (7th seed, world number 81) in his semi final.

The other semi final will be between Jordan Thompson (8th seed, world number 82) and either Otto Virtanen (qualifier, world number 375) or Ryan Peniston (Brit wildcard, world number 195).
  • Options
    Kudla beat Murray in 3 sets yesterday.
  • Options
    Raducanu pulled out injured in her Nottingham match. 
  • Options
    Raducanu pulled out injured in her Nottingham match. 
    Completely Charltonised since her US win. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can’t help but get the feeling Raducanu is going to struggle to fulfil the expectations on her.

Just a gut feel but something isn’t right. 
  • Options
    I can’t help but get the feeling Raducanu is going to struggle to fulfil the expectations on her.

The expectations are probably utterly unrealistic.
    It would be crass and wrong to say she fluked her US Open win but I think fair to mention she had no real pressure or weight of expectation going into it.
    To win a slam before she has barely started on the WTA tour has given her instant fame, an immediate high ranking and all the attendant pressure going forward.
    She is really still only finding her way and just starting to adjust mentally and physically.
    When we get past this year's US open her ranking will probably plummet ( assuming she doesn't pull off a back to back miracle).
    She just needs to readjust, find some form and fitness and start gutsing her way back into contention.
    She may never win another slam even if she gets back to the top echelons, but I am sure she has enough basic talent to get back into the later stages of tournaments regularly in the future
  • Options
    Think she needs to look at Coco Gauff’s trajectory and learn some lessons from that.
  • Options

Does she need to learn the difference between hurt and injured. ? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Does she need to learn the difference between hurt and injured. ? 
    Agree, she may have developed a psychological problem of thinking she’s injured, a bit like a child trying to get out of p.e. but may be her way of coping with the pressure, remember the stomach cramps when she first made an impact at Wimbledon and had real expectations placed on her.
  • Options
    Think she needs to look at Coco Gauff’s trajectory and learn some lessons from that.
    That was probably the original career plan.
    But you could ask how much Coco's measured progress, incremental improvement and mental stability might have been skewed by winning an early,  unexpected and "premature" slam ?
  • Options

Very early days yet.
  • Options
    She needs to sort herself out physically, as clearly her body can't cope with the strains of playing on the tour. A programme to build up her strength and conditioning.

I'm sure Andy Murray can help her, by showing her the level of work it took to get himself battle hardened
  • Options
    Murray beats Tsitsipas (no.1 seed and world number 5) in straight sets in Stuttgart. His first top five win since 2016.
    Murray beats Tsitsipas (no.1 seed and world number 5) in straight sets in Stuttgart. His first top five win since 2016.
    Love it, so much in fact i've quoted it twice. Well done Murray! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's a very good result
  • Options
    Fabulous victory for Murray.
  • Options
    Genuinely think he's got a bit of a chance of having a run at Wimbledon this year given who is missing.

Don't expect him to challenge for the title or anything but maybe the 2nd week.
  • Options
    Genuinely think he's got a bit of a chance of having a run at Wimbledon this year given who is missing.

On his day, tennis wise, he can give anyone a game still but physically and athletically he no longer appears to have the ability to play day in day out throughout a tournament.

Last week for example he lost to Denis Kudla in the semi final of the Surbiton Trophy largely because he ran out of gas physically. Won the first set but Kudla fought back and Andy, unlike a few years back, couldn't ride his good streak and come back again himself. Part of that could well be that he'd played 3 or more matches previously that week. For the first time since his hip op I believe.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

On his day, tennis wise, he can give anyone a game still but physically and athletically he no longer appears to have the ability to play day in day out throughout a tournament.

Last week for example he lost to Denis Kudla in the semi final of the Surbiton Trophy largely because he ran out of gas physically. Won the first set but Kudla fought back and Andy, unlike a few years back, couldn't ride his good streak and come back again himself. Part of that could well be that he'd played 3 or more matches previously that week. For the first time since his hip op I believe.
    I agree, that the concern is producing a string of performances, as big wins seem to take it out of his body
  • Options
    Playing 5 set matches at Wimbledon isn't going to help either. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    For Murray to get back to this level of performance after his op is pretty  incredible. Great determination.

Up to 53 in live ATP rankings.
  • Options
    Well done Muzza! Beat Kyrgios in the semi final today.
  • Options
    Would be brilliant if he could win it (obviously).  Berettini has been out for a while too so Murray has a decent chance.
  • Options
    Murray up to 47 in the live ATP rankings.