Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ongoing British Tennis…

Comments

• Options
    Raducanu sadly lost all belief/energy. That lack of effort to Kovinic's drop shot summed it up. She will learn from this as she always does and that is what it is all about. If she hadn't won the US Open we would still be talking about her as a "work in progress" but that is what she still is. Onwards and upwards but a bit of sideways and downwards along the way.

'
    She was injured, i think her hands were blistered. She got treatment in between sets and was doubled up in pain, it's actually an achievement she won the second set and then went the distance.
    Definitely
  • Options
    Raducanu sadly lost all belief/energy. That lack of effort to Kovinic's drop shot summed it up. She will learn from this as she always does and that is what it is all about. If she hadn't won the US Open we would still be talking about her as a "work in progress" but that is what she still is. Onwards and upwards but a bit of sideways and downwards along the way.

'
    She was injured, i think her hands were blistered. She got treatment in between sets and was doubled up in pain, it's actually an achievement she won the second set and then went the distance.

She'd have won without the injury.
    I hadn't realised that as I joined it in the third set. But she still proved to herself what she can go through the pain barrier. The lack of effort in making the drop shot return can't be blamed on her blistered hands though especially as she managed to play that "shxx or bust" pass for the penultimate point when she threw the kitchen sink at it. 
  • Options

'

She'd have won without the injury.
    I hadn't realised that as I joined it in the third set. But she still proved to herself what she can go through the pain barrier. The lack of effort in making the drop shot return can't be blamed on her blistered hands though especially as she managed to play that "shxx or bust" pass for the penultimate point when she threw the kitchen sink at it. 
    Not sure why she didn't go for that shot. It seems to effort of going through the pain barrier and having to adapt her game went in waves; sometimes rising above it and playing full on amazing shots and then periods of not. I think the combined physical and mental effort was just too much in the end - the commentators were amazed she was still in the match at all and managed to win the 2nd set
  • Options
    Always been a Dan Evans fan anyway...
  • Options
    Unlucky Emma and a shame the injury impacted her so much.  What I do find bizarre though is that a tennis player who has probably had a racket in her hand for hours a day for years can still get blisters! 
  • Options
    Good performance by Emma, no shame. She showed alot of courage to come back from her injury and just felt the other lady was slightly too powerful in some points. Still early in her career and hope she can be lucky with injuries and i am sure she is not a one hit wonder, in fairness who cares if she is, fantastic achievement whether too soon or not. Unlucky Emma

It's a shame, i never back Murray these days when he has come through a 5 setter. Heather gone too, so all on Dan Evans now isn't it? I was looking at his results over the last year and can see he has been consistent but rarely beats a higher seed, maybe thats a snap judgement but hopefully the extra round rest might do him a favour in his next? 
  • Options
    Unlucky Emma and a shame the injury impacted her so much.  What I do find bizarre though is that a tennis player who has probably had a racket in her hand for hours a day for years can still get blisters! 
    Has she got a new racket deal by any chance? 
  • Options
    Evans has started against FAA. On serve in the opening set.
  • Options
    Has she got a new racket deal by any chance? 
    She's just got a deal with Elastoplast though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well that’s that (for the singles anyway)
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    se9addick said:
    Well that’s that (for the singles anyway)
    Yup damp squib as Evans loses in three sets despite being afforded the extra rest.

Both singles draws into the round of 16…

Kecmanovic v Monfils [17]
    Carreno Busta [19] v Berrettini [7]

Zverev [3] v Shapovalov [14]
    Mannarino v Nadal [6]

de Minaur [32] v Sinner [11]
    Fritz [20] v Tsitsipas [4]

Rublev [5] or Cilic [27] v Auger-Aliassime [9]
    Cressy v Medvedev [2]
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited January 2022
    Auger-Aliassime is in really good form. Evans stayed with him up until the end of the 9th game, first set. Evans couldn't stay at Auger-Aliassime's level and it was all over quickly. Nadal played well, but fitness and recovery from injury may do for him later on. Mannarino has potential to be a long match.
    Medvedev in prime position.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    For the women…

Barty [1] v Asinimova
    Pegula [21] v Sakkari [5]
    Krejcikova [4] v Azarenka [24]
    Keys v Badosa [8]
    Collins [27] v Mertens [19]
    Halep [14] v Cornet
    Swiatek [7] v Cirstea 
    Kanepi v Sabalenka [2]

• Options
    vffvff
    edited January 2022
    Women's draw looking competitive. Barty or Halep for me. Barty favourite to win for me.
    Cillic has beaten Rublev - that will be a good match against Auger-Aliassime.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Feels odd providing updates on the Aussie Open here when there are no Brits left in the singles draws.

Both Joe Salisbury & Neal Skupski are into the quarter finals of the men's doubles with their partners Rajeev Ram and Wesley Koolhof respectively.

Women's QF:

Barty [1] v Pegula [21]
    Krejcikova [4] v Keys
    Collins [27] v Cornet
    Swiatek [7] v Kanepi

Men's QF:

Monfils [17] v Berrettini [7]
    Shapovalov [14] v Nadal [6]
    Sinner [11] v Tsitsipas [4]
    Auger-Aliassime [9] v Medvedev [2]
  • Options
    I think for future grand slams it will be worthwhile opening a whole new thread but for now, this is general Australian Open chat until the weekend. :-)

Keys takes the first set over Krejcikova 6-3.

Later: Shapovalov v Nadal followed by Barty v Pegula followed by Monfils v Berrettini
  • Options
    Keys wins 6-3 6-2.

Nadal v Shapovalov up next in about 20 minutes.
  • Options
    Nadal leads Shapovalov two sets to love. On serve in the third set.
  • Options
    Shapovalov wins the third set 6-4.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nadal won in 5
  • Options
    Nadal won in 5
    Shame - sounds like I went to bed and missed a thriller!

In the top half of the women’s draw, Barty defeated Pegula 6-2 6-0. She has barely broken a sweat on the way to the semi final. She has that untouchable Serena-like aura at the moment.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Berrettini beats Monfils in five sets in the last singles match of the day to set up a semi-final with Nadal.

The remaining QFs will be played tonight: Collins v Cornet followed by Swiatek v Kanepi followed by Sinner v Tsitsipas followed by Auger-Aliassime v Medvedev.

Women's QF:

Barty [1] v Pegula [21]
    Krejcikova [4] v Keys
    Collins [27] v Cornet
    Swiatek [7] v Kanepi

Men's QF:

Monfils [17] v Berrettini [7]
    Shapovalov [14] v Nadal [6]
    Sinner [11] v Tsitsipas [4]
    Auger-Aliassime [9] v Medvedev [2]
  • Options
    The Berretini game was great. Thought he was the better player overall but credit to Monfils for fighting back - that 4th set clearly just took it out of him and 2 games into the 5th set it was game over.

Berrettini v Nadal should be a great game - hope it's not a 4am start like Tsitsipas is tomorrow. Would love a Nadal v Medvedev final with Rafa winning but quite like Tsitsipas as well.
  • Options
    I'd like Berettini to win, but can't see him beating Nadal.
  • Options
    Collins beats Cornet in straight sets 7-5 6-1.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Swiatek defeats Kanepi in the second longest match of the tournament (on the women’s side) at 3 hrs and 1 minute. 4-6 7-6 6-3
  • Options
    Medvedev comes from 2 sets down to beat Auger-Aliassime, shame, would have been more interesting for Auger-Aliassime to have won, potential new finalist.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Women’s SF:

Barty [1] v Keys
    Collins [27] v Swiatek [7]

Men’s SF:

Berrettini [7] v Nadal [6]
    Tsitsipas [4] v Medvedev [2]
  • Options
     Joe Salisbury is through to the semis of the men's doubles, but Neal Skupski is out