Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Out and out now, he hasn’t got a clue. Leaving the best two players from Tuesday on the bench until 80 odd minutes was a disgrace….oh look what happened when they came on
    To be fair to Atkins- Davison did look exhausted on Tuesday night when he came off, so he made the right call in my book.
  • Options
    The squad showed fight today. That is a positive I haven't seen for a few games!
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/hZE1Fh1AgWQ

Nigel's favourite song - best day ever
    He is pretty much just Ted Lasso isn't he.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Don't know why he couldn't have said this Tuesday. Drawing with Portsmouth is not like drawing with Gillingham.
  • Options
    I think Adkins time should be up but I just don’t think Sandgaard will sack him, he’s his man at the end of the day. Like someone posted earlier at the FF all his talk is about giving him time. Plus he’s not gonna want to pay his contract up. 
    I sincerely hope those at work don’t have a rough time of it and get the boot after a coupe of months 
    Yeah, by tomorrow I’ll prob agree with you. Fingers crossed two draws have stopped the rot, coming back twice today is positive. Hopefully the team starts to gel & we can push on. 
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Put this on the post match thread but more relevant here….

I’m prepared to give Adkins a bit of time. The last two games have been more positive, especially today. I don’t think we should underestimate the effect on players who aren’t 100% match fit. I’m prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, at least for a few more games.  
    I think that’s why he’s been chopping and changing. But he will get a settled team. For example Clare looked a good player today but when he first came in he didn’t. Fitness plays a big part in professional sports. 
    I know the big part of that was the slow transfer window but it is what it is. That’s in the past. But I’m feeling a bit more positive today that Nigel has a plan. We’ll see anyway over the next few games. 
    Clare was perfectly fit earlier in the season, he had the full summer with us

Indeed if Adkins had stuck with his "summer" players and only integrated the "deadline" signings or injured/ill players when they were fit to play proper amounts of time, every game, it would have made sense. We started the season with a dull 0-0, with Morgan, Dobson and Clare in midfield and DJ on the wing, 7 weeks later none of them started today
  • Options
    Clare signed 21 July. Is that classed as a full summer? Anyway, match fitness isn’t all about stamina. It’s just as much about understanding the system and gelling with the other players, a lot of whom joined after that date. I think you’re splitting hairs. 
  • Options
    I imagine most clubs in L1 can make the same excuses as us...

• Options
    Failed at Reading
    Failed at Sheff U
    Failed at Hull. 

Doesn’t know what his best team is at CAFC. 
    Need him gone. 
    We will lose the next 2 anyway, so we might as well bite the bullet now and make a change. 
    Never failed at Hull…look what he done at Southampton and Scunthorpe..as well as missed out on the play offs on goal difference.. give the fella a chance 
    Both more than a DECADE ago… since then he’s spent his time doing shit corporate training on how to manage expectations and give feedback… he’s just a crap middle manager 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob said:
    Clare signed 21 July. Is that classed as a full summer? Anyway, match fitness isn’t all about stamina. It’s just as much about understanding the system and gelling with the other players, a lot of whom joined after that date. I think you’re splitting hairs. 
    The players can't gel with other players because Adkins keeps chopping and changing the team

Clare started the first 3 games of the season, when we played the same formation (as indeed we did in pre season) so he should know the system as well as anyone. We played with Clare as one of the 2 more defensive central midfielders, which is what he played when he came on today
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited September 2021
    Gelling happens in training as well. Anyway, let’s see how the next few games work out. I had originally said that Adkins had to go but I’ve seen signs of improvement last Tuesday and today so I think we should give him a few games to turn it around. 
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Gelling happens in training as well. Anyway, let’s see how the next few games work out. I had originally said that Adkins had to go but I’ve seen signs of improvement last Tuesday and today so I think we should give him a few games to turn it around. 
    We look much better with Clare in the middle of the park providing some running power, from all the games so far it's been noticeable that we look very pedestrian in midfield and people basically pass the ball around us.

Even when we win the ball back in midfield Watson, Morgan and the rest have no pace to burst forward and stretch the opposition, Clare provides that kind of running power that we used to get from Aribo when he was here.
  • Options
    A question for the Adkins in mob.

We are improving, slightly, I’ll agree there, just not enough for me.  

So with that in mind, between now and the end of the season could you see us getting more points than Wigan or Sunderland by a margin of 13?  The requirement for us have a shot at autos.

When it’s put like that I think it’s an obvious no, and for that reason, do you not think a manager that has killed automatic promotion off within just 9 games, should be sent packing?  For me that is unforgivable.
  • Options

So with that in mind, between now and the end of the season could you see us getting more points than Wigan or Sunderland by a margin of 13?  The requirement for us have a shot at autos.

When it’s put like that I think it’s an obvious no, and for that reason, do you not think a manager that has killed automatic promotion off within just 9 games, should be sent packing?  For me that is unforgivable.
    A fair question but aimed at the wrong people. I agree with what you say but I don't think Sandgaard is about to pull the trigger.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Wasn’t there a suggestion that TS started lining up a replacement for Bowyer before he left? 
    I wonder if he’s doing the same now, and that why there hasn’t been any sudden sacking?
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

A fair question but aimed at the wrong people. I agree with what you say but I don't think Sandgaard is about to pull the trigger.
    I think the question needs to be aimed at them, not as some “ah ha gotcha” moment, just asking the question a different way can sometimes help see other perspectives.

Ill be honest I don’t feel proud calling for the guys head, it’s not usually my style, I get the stability argument for sure.  This just doesn’t feel right for me.  And agreed I think TS will give him a decent crack at this maybe even till the end of the season.
  • Options
     said:
      Just so you know Thomas, not getting results is a sackable offence in football.
    No verbal warnings. No written warnings. No final written warnings. Don't reach for the capability procedure policy.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob said:
    On reflection I think this is where I am. If the last couple of games have stopped the rot, then we should expect the rot not to return and wins to start from here. I don't think Adkins has a lot of time and we need to start picking up the points or he is toast.
  • Options
    Failed at Reading
    Failed at Sheff U
    Failed at Hull. 

Doesn’t know what his best team is at CAFC. 
    Need him gone. 
    We will lose the next 2 anyway, so we might as well bite the bullet now and make a change. 
    Never failed at Hull…look what he done at Southampton and Scunthorpe..as well as missed out on the play offs on goal difference.. give the fella a chance 
    Hull
    first full season in charge - finished 13th. 
    Left by mutual consent at the end of the season. 
    Hardly success is it ?

Soton was 2010 - so far back it doesn’t mean anything now. 
    Now let's look at the full context. He took over a team in 20th and kept them up. Then the next season got them to 13th. That's a success based on the fact it's clear progression. Hull fans loved him.

He didn't leave by mutual consent, they offered him a renewed contract and he said no because he didn't feel the owner shared his vision on the clubs future.

The following season Hull finished bottom.
    That’s not the full context.  He kept them up and took them to mid table with Bowen,Grosicki, Campbell, scoring about 45 goals between them.  They lost all those players, he left and they finished bottom the next season.  

If you are clinging onto him doing the same for us, I think you are going to be disappointed. 
  • Options
    Rob said:
    On reflection I think this is where I am. If the last couple of games have stopped the rot, then we should expect the rot not to return and wins to start from here. I don't think Adkins has a lot of time and we need to start picking up the points or he is toast.
    I think if he doesn't win either of the next 2 games then he'll be gone over the international break.
  • Options
    Again.
    How long does the next manager get if we sack Adkins?

• Options
    clb74 said:
    Again.

How can anyone answer that?

If a manager comes in and loses 10 in a row and is the reincarnation of Karel Fraeye then obviously he won't get very long. If we're average but there's a clear style of play and a plan then he'll obviously get longer. At the moment i don't see a plan, he doesn't have a clue of his best XI and it feels like he's just changing 4/5/6 players every game in the hope something works.

He's been in charge for 21 games and we've won 7. In league one. If that becomes 23 i think he'll be gone after Fleetwood.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Again.

Not long if he only wins 1 in 9 and we play boring turgid dog ooo long ball football up to a lone striker

long enough if we improve and win football matches.
  • Options
    It’s when things aren’t going too well at Charlton that you realise how little your fellow supporters actually know about football. Adkins is responsible for the players on the pitch. The person who should be sacked is the person responsible for paying 2p an hour and dragging the window out so we get unfit players through the door who are crap. Maybe if Adkins can get this load of shit actually playing well he deserves manager of the season.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!