Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Belv said:
    Knew when the final whistle went yesterday it was the worst possible result. Draws at home are now simply not enough and it bought Adkins more time, further delaying the inevitable.

Low and behold, people are now saying stick with him until Christmas. Ffs.
    Can I distance myself from that last comment please...and also Thomas as well hopefully.... B)
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Last season, after 16 games, Oxford had 16 points. At the same stage we had 30 points. Oxford made the Play Offs and we didn't.

Seasons are littered with sides who start badly but end up getting promoted and teams that go the other way. Our season could be broken up into three distinct parts:

First 16: 30 points
    Middle 15: 14 points
    Final 15: 30 points

Adkins was very much a part of the final third to the season.

So, to those who say that we have no chance of making the Play Offs after 9 games I would look at our finish last season under Adkins and then consider that we need to take 10 points from our next 7 matches to be in the same position as Oxford were last year. 

Classic wishful thinking.

For every team that started badly and ended up getting promoted, I'll find you four or more who started badly and who didn't end up getting promoted.

The point with this current squad is that there are no obvious signs of where performances and results will improve.

Yes, we can all dream ... but please don't fall into the trap of believing that we are a lucky bounce away from promotion form.

Short on goals, vulnerable in defence and a collection of midfield players who either don't know what is expected of them, or who are unable to deliver it.

We have a squad of average League 1 players at best ... and guess what?  That's where we will end up.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I believe with he squad we have, we have more chance of a top six finish than relegation. But we have made it very hard for ourselves. I think the targets have to be incremental. In the next month we have to pull away from the bottom. At Christmas we need to be top half or close to it, then we can have a run at it.

But we haven't done the first bit yet!

Sounds a fine and dandy idea, wouldn't want too much success early doors would we, otherwise someone would have to start a Countdown to Promotion thread....ahh, now that's an idea :*
  • Options
    I wouldn't lose any sleep if Adkins got sacked today, tomorrow or when ever.

Saying that a lot of the problems we have got now are the same problems we had in our awful run under Bowyer last season.  Some with the same players, some with different ones.

We aren't fit enough, which is why we have to make so many changes, why we don't press and why we default to hoof ball.  Which is why our full backs get so exposed. 

Watson is, rightfully, in the team on merit at the moment.  We were a better team with him than without him last season, we are a  better team with him than with out him now.  That says a lot about our problems.

I saw Plymouth's head of strength and conditioning left last week.  Who is ours?  We also seem to have been without a head physio for a period of time?

I don't think, in this case, sacking the manager is a golden bullet.  If the next manager has the same restrictions Adkins has. 

In all probability we will be having the same conversation 3, 6 or 9 months after he goes about the next manager as well. 

• Options
    clb74 said:
    Again.
    How long does the next manager get if we sack Adkins?

Not long if he only wins 1 in 9 and we play boring turgid dog ooo long ball football up to a lone striker

long enough if we improve and win football matches.
    Same manager who lost one in 11 … last season short memories again 
    That was last season. Totally irrelevant to what is happening now. 
    How far can we go back then?
    Unbeaten in our last 2 games.
  • Options
    masicat said:
    It’s when things aren’t going too well at Charlton that you realise how little your fellow supporters actually know about football. Adkins is responsible for the players on the pitch. The person who should be sacked is the person responsible for paying 2p an hour and dragging the window out so we get unfit players through the door who are crap. Maybe if Adkins can get this load of shit actually playing well he deserves manager of the season.
    We literally net spent more than any other team.  

Well more than Ipswich, Sunderland, Wigan, Pompey unless there’s someone I’ve missed out.
    Maybe on transfer fees but I suspect our wage structure is substantially below that of Ipswich, Wigan and Sunderland at least.
  • Options
    I'd love Adkins to succeed but there have been virtually no positives so far and he seems clueless as to who to select. 

• Options
    I’ve done a bit of a u turn too. There has been signs of improvement. Unbeaten in two (I know, I know). But what does sacking a manager solve? Unless he’s lost the dressing room id keep him for a few more games. Can we turn those draws into wins with a settled style of play and starting 11 that has Josh, Gilby , Lee, Levelle and Mc as the spine? And CBT fit and pivotal? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd love Adkins to succeed but there have been virtually no positives so far and he seems clueless as to who to select. 

Yeah I agree with you & I wouldn’t lose much sleep if he was sacked. But I would say the selection issues & what tactics to play isn’t totally his fault. He wanted most of the squad in before the season started, that didn’t happen. Then he’s been given a load of players four weeks into the season, all at varying fitness levels. So let’s be honest he prob is still trying to work out who to play & when & what formation etc. I would say there are positive’s like two draws - they’re not losses. Coming from behind twice yesterday, earlier in the season we prob would’ve folded & lost. The subs he made yesterday had a positive impact, two scored & one assisted. Like I say I’m not particularly an Adkins fan but he needs time to turn it around, if he can’t then he’ll be gone. Also everyone who’s saying he’s out of his depth, come on he’s having a bad time, let’s not make things up. He’s managed promotion teams, he’s been promoted from the Championship & he’s managed in the Premier League. If that’s not depth then I don’t know what is. 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    masicat said:
    It’s when things aren’t going too well at Charlton that you realise how little your fellow supporters actually know about football. Adkins is responsible for the players on the pitch. The person who should be sacked is the person responsible for paying 2p an hour and dragging the window out so we get unfit players through the door who are crap. Maybe if Adkins can get this load of shit actually playing well he deserves manager of the season.
    We literally net spent more than any other team.  

Well more than Ipswich, Sunderland, Wigan, Pompey unless there’s someone I’ve missed out.
    Maybe on transfer fees but I suspect our wage structure is substantially below that of Ipswich, Wigan and Sunderland at least.
    Not sure about Sunderland, they've been far more frugal in their signings than I was expecting. Other than Alex Pritchard and Cory Evans, their other signings have all been relatively unknown youngsters. Their loan signings are also all young players, whereas we have experienced pros like Lee and Arter. And they've loaned Grigg out again and lost Wyke
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    I know a lot of people were underwhelmed with his appointment and I think that's why people have turned on him so quickly, but several people on this thread & the pre match thread have said they hope we lose tonight so that he gets sacked. 

HAVE A BLOODY WORD WITH YOURSELVES!!!!  I felt Bowyer should have gone a few weeks before he did, but I never once wanted Charlton to lose to make it happen.  Absolutely ridiculous!!
    I wasn't really aware of him before he arrived, but I admit I was taken in with the positive bullshit and felt really positive. The reason I have turned was purely on the farscical way we have played and the lack of any sort of plan to improve things. I just don't think he will turn it around.
    The trouble is everybody seems to be underperforming at Charlton at present - I'd like to think a new manager could turn things around but optimism is in short supply.
    Great idea. So like after  bows if we get a new manger who can get results for 10 games then rinse and repeat
  • Options
    Should have kept Darren Pratley... he would have put up a proper fight.   The wet fart that somehow got the job wanted him out. Well the chickens have now come home to roost.  Get him out. 
  • Options
    After reflecting on yesterday’s game, I’m finally in the “Adkins Out” camp. 

9 games played, 5 defeats and only 1 win.

He doesn’t know his best formation, he doesn’t know his best 18 let alone his best 11.

Players are in, out, in, out

We’ve won game and we started with a 4-4-2 yet he’s not started with that formation again

We’re not creating and we make average teams look like world beaters.

Defensively we’re all at sea and have been for some time - what does he do in training to address that?

It’s time for a change…
  • Options
    Suspect he needs 2 wins from the next 2 to stay in situ. Should be more than achievable on paper with the squad we’ve assembled, so over to team selection, formation choice and style of play…
  • Options
    He needs to win the next game to have any chance of keeping his job I reckon.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    And Bolton were unlucky to lose at Sunderland, apparently. Great timing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Presumably all those that think Adkins has had enough time to produce a team that is in the promotion shake up after nine games are totally mystified as to how Paul Cook still has a job at Ipswich - his record currently reads - 5 wins from 26 matches and just the one win in all comps this season from 11 games. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Presumably all those that think Adkins has had enough time to produce a team that is in the promotion shake up after nine games are totally mystified as to how Paul Cook still has a job at Ipswich - his record currently reads - 5 wins from 26 matches and just the one win in all comps this season from 11 games. 
    Don't care about Ipswich comparison (they can sort out their own problems), I am concerned about the shitfest emanating from Mr Adkins direction, which is a problem we need to deal with.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Funny isn't it, I didn't read it that way....I saw it as being a naive tweet by an owner who doesn't really know his football. I can't see him giving Adkins the bullet at the moment as much as I'm beginning to think it might be for the best.
  • Options
    NM18 said:
    Should have kept Darren Pratley... he would have put up a proper fight.   The wet fart that somehow got the job wanted him out. Well the chickens have now come home to roost.  Get him out. 
    How's it going at Orient, Darren?
  • Options
    I can’t believe he survived past last weekend. Pardew Lite.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Don't care about Ipswich comparison (they can sort out their own problems), I am concerned about the shitfest emanating from Mr Adkins direction, which is a problem we need to deal with.
    An expected reaction. Funny that though isn't it. All the time Ipswich were signing players left, right and centre posters on here were saying how they were going to run away with the League and that those players were the very targets we should have been going for. At the same time, when we've been manager less, Cook's name has come up on numerous occasions.

The point I was trying to make is that it takes time to bed a squad in especially when they come at various levels of fitness. Cook is finding that too and he has a very good managerial record and had longer to do so with their recruits. 

People are very selective. They want to choose to ignore the run that we had under Adkins that almost took us into the Play Offs as if that doesn't count on his Charlton CV. We had fit players used to playing with us like Maatsen, Millar, JFC, Gilbey and Aneke on that run. He's had to replace them with no pre season to gel the side. Anyone notice the improvement in Gilbey when he was brought back by Adkins last season? Adkins also explained to those who want to listen why he's had to make so many changes from game to game.

The chances are now that Adkins will be gone soon enough which will please many. so here's one question for the managerial experts on here. Who is the Manager who is going to be prepared to come in and turn this round straightaway. Paul Cook?

The other aspect of the vitriol towards Adkins that I do find strange is how some are throwing his as they would call it, his "happy clappy" persona and how he can't be a strong Manager as a result. Ask DJ whether he thinks that Adkins is incapable of making difficult decisions? Ask DJ whether Adkins sat him down and explained what he needs to do to become a better player. Ask DJ whether Adkins threw him against the wall in doing so. Ask DJ whether he publicly slated him and others and blamed them for our poor results. 

Almost every team goes through a bad run at some point in the season. Should they all be sacked? And how many games do we give the next one? Nine? That might mean we'll have half a dozen Managers this season.
    In no particular order:

John Coleman
    Gareth Ainsworth
    Ryan Lowe
    Matt Taylor
    Simon Weaver 
    Kenny Jackett

I don’t care if some of those teams are currently above us. It’s not being arrogant to say we’re a bigger pull than their current clubs if we offered them the job. All have recent success. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    And Bolton were unlucky to lose at Sunderland, apparently. Great timing.
    It would not matter how they played at Sunderland, their league position alone makes them favourites. I bet Big Josh is licking his lips looking at our defence.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!