Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nigel Adkins - Bromley Addicks - Now 13th October

124»

Comments

• edited October 2021
    He seems a nice guy, but I don't think he will ever win the fans back on his side.
    We need 22 wins from 35 games to get a ticket for the play off lottery,  - so that's another season gone West.
    LB was a hard act to follow, but getting beat 3-1 at home to Cheltenham in the league is a disgrace, and the buck stops with NADS.
    I thought we lost 2-1? 

Somewhat selective to make the comparison based on one result isn't it? This is the same LB, after all, that managed a side last season that picked up just 23 out of 54 points from the 18 home games when he was in charge. Perhaps, just perhaps, we'd been that little bit better at home we might have picked up that one point needed to take us into the Play Offs.

But LB was a hard act to follow!
  • His comment on the make up of an league one team was interesting but I couldn't get in to ask the follow up which was "do you have it".
    He said you need six "big 'uns" as a high percentage (he said what but I can't remember) of goals come from, for and against, set plays.

Then you need a left and a right footed set piece taker. You need a pacey player and a goalscorer (20 to 30 goals) as well as a captain.

The players need to be athletic, robust enough to play 40 games, warriors when things are hard, willing to learn and be coachable IE can improve, not set in their ways and have technical ability with 85% pass completion.
    Now I know why we are 4th from bottom...............we have none of these.
  • His comment on the make up of an league one team was interesting but I couldn't get in to ask the follow up which was "do you have it".
    He said you need six "big 'uns" as a high percentage (he said what but I can't remember) of goals come from, for and against, set plays.

Then you need a left and a right footed set piece taker. You need a pacey player and a goalscorer (20 to 30 goals) as well as a captain.

The players need to be athletic, robust enough to play 40 games, warriors when things are hard, willing to learn and be coachable IE can improve, not set in their ways and have technical ability with 85% pass completion.
    Maybe NA was making the point that that was what he wanted but didn't get
  • @aliwibble asked a good question about Covid19 which I'll let her talk about.
    Ironically, as I have that stinking cold that's going round at the moment, so I wasn't sure if I was coming through clearly, as I'm a bit huskier than normal. Basically just commenting on Adkins, Gilbey etc having had Covid, hoping they weren't feeling any on-going effects, and given we had the issue of Andy Hunt having to retire due to CFS, wondering what sort of monitoring the physios etc do for players coming back from Covid.
    Can't remember everything he said (I wasn't taking notes for this one), but he started off talking about the situation in the country with the on-going number of deaths etc, and then went into the specifics of how it affects the club. Apparently Gilbey's infection was probably a result of going to one of the Euro's games, and when asked why the club didn't explain why he was out and for how long, cited confidentiality, and said that given it was a new disease with extremely variable outcomes (eg long covid) they couldn't give an estimate of how long he was likely to be out. Was very complimentary about the club medical staff, but I can't remember any specifics about the kind of things he said they did in relation to this. Whether that's cos he didn't, or I'd just hit information overload for the night, I can't say.

Tbh that's what I was thinking.
    We didn't recruit much of what he said was needed apart from a pacey player. Weird.
  • aliwibble said:
    @aliwibble asked a good question about Covid19 which I'll let her talk about.
    Ironically, as I have that stinking cold that's going round at the moment, so I wasn't sure if I was coming through clearly, as I'm a bit huskier than normal. Basically just commenting on Adkins, Gilbey etc having had Covid, hoping they weren't feeling any on-going effects, and given we had the issue of Andy Hunt having to retire due to CFS, wondering what sort of monitoring the physios etc do for players coming back from Covid.
    Can't remember everything he said (I wasn't taking notes for this one), but he started off talking about the situation in the country with the on-going number of deaths etc, and then went into the specifics of how it affects the club. Apparently Gilbey's infection was probably a result of going to one of the Euro's games, and when asked why the club didn't explain why he was out and for how long, cited confidentiality, and said that given it was a new disease with extremely variable outcomes (eg long covid) they couldn't give an estimate of how long he was likely to be out. Was very complimentary about the club medical staff, but I can't remember any specifics about the kind of things he said they did in relation to this. Whether that's cos he didn't, or I'd just hit information overload for the night, I can't say.
    Citing confidentially is a strange one seeing as Gilbey himself tweeted that he had Covid.

Oh well, if it fits the narrative I suppose they have to trot out the lies.

• Then you need a left and a right footed set piece taker. You need a pacey player and a goalscorer (20 to 30 goals) as well as a captain.

Finally a manager who listens to the supporters.....well one supporter at least 😉😆
  • edited October 2021
    aliwibble said:
    But they didn't acknowledge he had Covid until that point, that was what he was saying. If the player himself is happy to announce it, that's one thing, but you don't do it for them.

You could get to the point where you have half the team missing from an ankle injury to Covid and Clubs just say they are indisposed. Can you imagine if that was said when Vennings, Dempsey, Davison etc were playing in the Championship when they were hardly ready for the U23, and we weren't told why Taylor, Cullen, Bauer etc were missing.

In the entertainment industry, and believe it or not Charlton are in that industry, people pay to watch players and want to know why they are not in the squad. If you pay £120 to watch a west end show with your partner and half the cast are missing then should you just be told their indisposed ? 

There is no shame in catching COVID-19 as 10 million( could be more from 1st wave) have in the UK. If we had more transparency in the first place with Covid from its source and the young Chinese doctor wasn't encouraged to stay silence then......

All players should be encouraged to share as I thought we needed to know who has Covid ?

Too many lives have been lost by suicide because families can't be told by Doctors a loved one is having a bad time. Many of us were good actors when our mental health sunk to a dangerous level.

Cafc are just following the national  guidelines which I understand but transparency really can stop a small problem shared becoming misery and guilt for families.

• Sponsored links:

• edited October 2021
    aliwibble said:
    But they didn't acknowledge he had Covid until that point, that was what he was saying. If the player himself is happy to announce it, that's one thing, but you don't do it for them.

You could get to the point where you have half the team missing from an ankle injury to Covid and Clubs just say they are indisposed. Can you imagine if that was said when Vennings, Dempsey, Davison etc were playing in the Championship when they were hardly ready for the U23, and we weren't told why Taylor, Cullen, Bauer etc were missing.

In the entertainment industry, and believe it or not Charlton are in that industry, people pay to watch players and want to know why they are not in the squad. If you pay £120 to watch a west end show with your partner and half the cast are missing then should you just be told their indisposed ? 

There is no shame in catching COVID-19 as 10 million( could be more from 1st wave) have in the UK. If we had more transparency in the first place with Covid from its source and the young Chinese doctor wasn't encouraged to stay silence then......

All players should be encouraged to share as I thought we needed to know who has Covid ?

Too many lives have been lost by suicide because families can't be told by Doctors a loved one is having a bad time. Many of us were good actors when our mental health sunk to a dangerous level.

Cafc are just following the national  guidelines which I understand but transparency really can stop a small problem shared becoming misery and guilt for families.

Yes, I don't understand why someone with Covid has to be kept secret, whereas if he had injured his calf, hamstring or knee, or indeed had chicken pox or flu, it would have been casually mentioned. For example with Purrington this summer

Adkins said: “Ben has got a hamstring injury. The diagnosis means he will miss the start of the season. How long he will actually be out for is another question but as I’ve said we’ve got excellent medical staff here.

Imagine if Adkins had said "Ben will be out for a while" without saying what it was, it would have created far more of a story

• aliwibble said:

Yes, I don't understand why someone with Covid has to be kept secret, whereas if he had injured his calf, hamstring or knee, or indeed had chicken pox or flu, it would have been casually mentioned. For example with Purrington this summer

Adkins said: “Ben has got a hamstring injury. The diagnosis means he will miss the start of the season. How long he will actually be out for is another question but as I’ve said we’ve got excellent medical staff here.

Imagine if Adkins had said "Ben will be out for a while" without saying what it was, it would have created far more of a story

Probably because you can put hamstring or knee injuries into social media articles without risking starting an absolute shitshow of conspiracy theories and trolling about social distancing and vaccines.

Not so with Covid. 
  • Suppose hamstring injuries are common place in the world of Football so clubs dont care so much - COVID attacks your breathing though, which is a massive factor as an Athlete.

You read how some people have taken a long time to get over it - Guess there is the concern that if it becomes common place then clubs might not want to know, as they may feel that said player may struggle with the levels of fitness required. 
  • it is not up to the employer to divulge details of an employee's illness, but should the employee do so that is their prerogative 

An extreme example would be is an employee contracted an STD, it would be wrong to tell everyone the nature of the indisposition but rather just say the employee is off sick, and so it should be with C19

Regarding a decent striker, Tommy was probably telling himself Ronnie would come good
    Which is criminal in itself
  • Suppose hamstring injuries are common place in the world of Football so clubs dont care so much - COVID attacks your breathing though, which is a massive factor as an Athlete.

You read how some people have taken a long time to get over it - Guess there is the concern that if it becomes common place then clubs might not want to know, as they may feel that said player may struggle with the levels of fitness required. 
    If a player had a series of hamstring injuries, and indeed was being written off because of them, they might not want it to be public knowledge and might PREFER it if the wider world thought they were out because of something else such as Covid
  • Did anyone change their opinion of Nige as a result of this meeting? Either from the perspective that you thought he was shite but now he's alright, or you feel you've heard enough now and he hasn't got the answers.
  • I didn’t feel I found out anything new from it. The meeting with Gallen and Roddy was a lot more interesting. The software used for the latter also worked better, I believe everyone was automatically muted and had their cameras off and it wasn’t possibly to turn either back on. Another positive was it allowed people to vote for questions and type their own.

Great to have a chance to watch these from home, hope it continues.
  • Scoham said:
    I didn’t feel I found out anything new from it. The meeting with Gallen and Roddy was a lot more interesting. The software used for the latter also worked better, I believe everyone was automatically muted and had their cameras off and it wasn’t possibly to turn either back on. Another positive was it allowed people to vote for questions and type their own.

Great to have a chance to watch these from home, hope it continues.
    I wasn't able to make the Adkins one, but the Gallen/Roddy one was on Zoom, presumably the paid version
  • edited October 2021
    thanks to Bromley Addicks for arranging the meeting but really you should know how to use the technology before the meeting commenced. We had a considerable break due to interference and it seemed that a number of people asked more than one question while others were possibly ignored. Of course NA did not go into detail of contracts or illness but I thought he was allowed to meander too long on his professional history when more time could have been given to answering CAFC questions.
    Not the best Zoom you have done but still an interesting evening while watching the women's team loose 1-0 to Spurs.
    Yeah that’s pretty much how I saw it. I’ve been to a couple of other meetings before and they’ve always well done. 

If any other meetings take place on zoom, you should pick a host who knows how to use the platform. I know I’m from a younger generation but watching people try and fix the technical delays was like watching a caveman trying to code a website. 
  • Sponsored links:

• NA:  "Ben Watson is the best player in training".

I really hope that's not true !

• NA:  "Ben Watson is the best player in training".

Think he was talking in terms of professionalism rather than ability as a player. He also mentioned Gunter.
  • Scoham said:
    NA:  "Ben Watson is the best player in training".

Think he was talking in terms of professionalism rather than ability as a player. He also mentioned Gunter.
    That is good to hear and is exactly what you want from the senior players. Because if the guy who has over 100 international caps is prepared to do that in training and accept that he might still not make the starting XI then that has to be a good example for the younger ones.
  • For Gunter and Watson to have 15 and 18 years as  Professionals I have no doubt they are excellent on the training ground and will no doubt stay in football as coaches. Gunter is still a current Welsh International.

Watson is still decent on the ball but he can't cover quick enough when the other team counter attack. This is why Nigel Adkins told him and Jason Pearce a lot of their work would be at Sparrows lane this Season.

For various reasons Ben and Jason still get games in the first teams
  • Gallen / Roddy was a CAST meeting, same as TS last Dec and Adkins in May. We hold them as Zoom webinars rather than meetings. The set-up is different as on a webinar the attendees are automatically muted /not on camera and questions are submitted online to the panel. It’s a bit less interactive but technically works well. For TS we had around 600 attendees so that would never have worked as a meeting. It is quite a bit more expensive to host a webinar rather than hold a Zoom meeting so can understand why others such as Bromley prefer meetings. 
  • Gallen / Roddy was a CAST meeting, same as TS last Dec and Adkins in May. We hold them as Zoom webinars rather than meetings. The set-up is different as on a webinar the attendees are automatically muted /not on camera and questions are submitted online to the panel. It’s a bit less interactive but technically works well. For TS we had around 600 attendees so that would never have worked as a meeting. It is quite a bit more expensive to host a webinar rather than hold a Zoom meeting so can understand why others such as Bromley prefer meetings. 
    Fair enough, wasn’t sure what the difference in cost was, if any.