Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel Adkins - Bromley Addicks - Now 13th October

Comments

• Options
    Clive R answered  more questions in his 5 minute cameo :)
  • Options
    Fair play to Adkins for taking the meeting. He’s definitely determined to turn things around. 

Only question which I would asked, but he wouldn’t have answered anyway, was how does he plan to navigate the January transfer window, knowing we only have 1 slot available in the squad (JFC spot, so not really spot left in the squad). 

• Options
    edited October 2021
    clb74 said:
    He was asked twice about Ronnie but stuck to its a shame it didn't work. He was obviously never going to say more.

Same when pressed about Gilbey and why weren't the fans told. He answered the question saying it was patient confidentiality and that also with Covid19 it's all new and not predictable, unlike a soft tissue injury.

They are talking to Deji and CBT (who NA raved about) and giving them longer contracts.

He said that young players needed to be playing, clearly a reference to Deji.
    That was a short day at work , 6 minutes.
    Quality not quantity is my motto.

Off to Whitechapel to see a client so Biegals for lunch.  Going back to my roots, yeah.
  • Options
    But it took longer than expected to get here.

When pushed as to why and his own role and choices he was clearly less comfortable but said it wasn't about me but we. We have a director of football, a technical director and an owner and we use a lot of analysis. They were collective decisions on players also based on what we could get for the budget. A lot of players we wanted went to the championship which he accepted was understandable as higher status and more money.
  • Options
    Asked if promotion was still possible he said "you've got to strive for it"

Said that with 35 games left 22 wins should be enough for the play offs.

We're not where we want to be but, we want to be in the championship and going for the premier league but it takes time, there's a lot that needed doing and were putting those things in place and developing good habits.

Management is always a challenge, lots of people (players, staff, academy) to improve to be a success. Loves his job and being in football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Highlights:
    Ray wetting himself laughing at Clive.
    Bertie not getting much of an answer to his question and immediately going for the bottle of whiskey.

Thanks for letting me attend, Bromley Addicks. I actually thought it was an interesting session.
  • Options
    @aliwibble asked a good question about Covid19 which I'll let her talk about.
  • Options
    Someone asked if it was formation first or players first too, as in do you have a preferred formation and the players must fit or do you fit the formation to the players at your disposal
  • Options
    His comment on the make up of an league one team was interesting but I couldn't get in to ask the follow up which was "do you have it".
    He said you need six "big 'uns" as a high percentage (he said what but I can't remember) of goals come from, for and against, set plays.

Then you need a left and a right footed set piece taker. You need a pacey player and a goalscorer (20 to 30 goals) as well as a captain.

The players need to be athletic, robust enough to play 40 games, warriors when things are hard, willing to learn and be coachable IE can improve, not set in their ways and have technical ability with 85% pass completion.
  • Options
    thanks to Bromley Addicks for arranging the meeting but really you should know how to use the technology before the meeting commenced. We had a considerable break due to interference and it seemed that a number of people asked more than one question while others were possibly ignored. Of course NA did not go into detail of contracts or illness but I thought he was allowed to meander too long on his professional history when more time could have been given to answering CAFC questions.
    Not the best Zoom you have done but still an interesting evening while watching the women's team loose 1-0 to Spurs.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I thought his level of candour reflected the situation, and he did the politicians thing of killing the questions by half answering in a wider point he wanted to make.
    To be honest if anyone expected any different given how things have gone so far I'm inclined think that's probably on them. 

Get that it is frustrating but he's doing his job and that means he's going to be very careful what he says. 
  • Options
    He seems a nice guy, but I don't think he will ever win the fans back on his side.
    We need 22 wins from 35 games to get a ticket for the play off lottery,  - so that's another season gone West.
    LB was a hard act to follow, but getting beat 3-1 at home to Cheltenham in the league is a disgrace, and the buck stops with NADS.
  • Options
    Well done Bromley Addicks for organising and thanks for the feedback Henners, CE and others👍.

Incidentally Ronnie White also played for us in the early 60s. Pretty sure I saw him play in the 5th round FA Cup defeat 2-1 away to Aston Villa Feb 62, who had a whinging Derek Dougan at Centre Forward every time Marvin Hinton slide tackled him 😉.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Well done Bromley Addicks for organising and thanks for the feedback Henners, CE and others👍.

Incidentally Ronnie White also played for us in the early 60s. Pretty sure I saw him play in the 5th round FA Cup defeat 2-1 away to Aston Villa Feb 62, who had a whinging Derek Dougan at Centre Forward every time Marvin Hinton slide tackled him 😉.
    I vaguely remember a 'Chalky White' playing occasionally in early 60's.
    Was he a left winger?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    A frustrating Zoom session which like a Charlton match started slowly and then became chaotic with everyone out of position and  Clive ! oblivious to the chatter coming from his end. 
    Bromley Addicks have put on some great evenings over the years but unfortunately this zoom session wasn't one of them.

No easy way to say this but having been on 50 odd Zooms over the last 18 months if the host doesn't mute from their end you have chaos and interference as some will always forget to mute.

Everyone was affected, including Nigel Adkins who forgot Pape's surname; Pape John's or Pape Smurf sprang to mind but I decided not to heckle and stayed mute.  Despite a much better 2nd half there was no flow and this made Nigel waffle far too much. It's probably why ex players and ex managers make for more candid guests.

I tried to ask a question by clicking on the reaction emoji or by raising my hand but just like the sub warming up for 90 minutes and trying to catch the managers eye it wasn't going to happen.

Ali asked a question about Sparrows lane which was similar to mine but my question was:

"During this International break do you feel you have made progress on the training pitch and did you do extra sessions on tactics on the pitch and with the analysis team and players in the room in the afternoon after a healthy lunch."

"Are you clear on your starting 11" 
  • Options
    Bromley Addicks can heed Jason Pearce's words of wisdom:

Save journey home, we move on to the next one.
  • Options
    Well, my salt beef biegal with gerkins and mustard from Brick Lane has cheered me up.

Curbs up next if we can find a date.

But not on ******* Zoom
  • Options
    Well, my salt beef biegal with gerkins and mustard from Brick Lane has cheered me up.

But not on ******* Zoom
    Whens the next Bromley meeting Henry?
  • Options
    clb74 said:

But not on ******* Zoom
    Whens the next Bromley meeting Henry?
    We're only letting loyal Bromley Addicks attend which is why you haven't had the email 😉

No date yet but early December is  he can make it.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    RedChaser said:

I vaguely remember a 'Chalky White' playing occasionally in early 60's.
    Was he a left winger?
    Yes he did play on the wing or inside forward. Basically anywhere in the forward line apart from centre forward.