Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What’s with the reduced interest?

Comments

• Options
    Regarding seeing a match in person, I've not been simply because although I'm now allowed in the country, the government make it too complicated once arrived. If any one person on my plane or train tests positive on the 2nd day then it's ten days isolation. Taking this worst case scenario it was logistically impossible two weeks ago because there would have been no-one home with the kids last week. If we'd gone last week then we could have missed our current barge trip. If I'd gone with the kids, we could be stuck in a hotel room together for ten days!

Regarding the international pass on Charlton TV I haven't bought one, not because the other teams play ugly football in this 3rd division but because we do. We are like watching the worst long ball bunch of cloggers the league has seen since Preston two seasons ago who had Stockley in their team. I know no-one here will agree with me but having this player is the root cause of our playing style. I will only begrudgingly accept it if we are top two-four placed. Instead unsurprisingly we are bottom four.

Finally I am of the minority opinion that Covid19 policy is inherently wrong. This thread is another consequence of the joy of life generally being (unnecessarily imo) slowly drained from us. Life is simply more difficult in many aspects than before and people get tired of the problems doing varied activities creates and so just stop. In sports, there seems to be fewer people at our tennis club, I'm playing less, my wife goes running less, my children have lost interest in their sports. Using football as an example, the reduced interest is not wholly due to the  football at our club. Attendances are down generally, aren't they?
    In total, the opening weekend fixtures in Sky Bet League One amounted to a divisional-high over the past six years, as more than 134,000 supporters cheered on their teams, surpassing the benchmark of 116,444 set in 2018/19.
    https://www.efl.com/news/2021/august/crowds-flock-back-to-efl-after-restrictions-are-lifted/
  • Options
    clive said:
    Regarding seeing a match in person, I've not been simply because although I'm now allowed in the country, the government make it too complicated once arrived. If any one person on my plane or train tests positive on the 2nd day then it's ten days isolation. Taking this worst case scenario it was logistically impossible two weeks ago because there would have been no-one home with the kids last week. If we'd gone last week then we could have missed our current barge trip. If I'd gone with the kids, we could be stuck in a hotel room together for ten days!

Regarding the international pass on Charlton TV I haven't bought one, not because the other teams play ugly football in this 3rd division but because we do. We are like watching the worst long ball bunch of cloggers the league has seen since Preston two seasons ago who had Stockley in their team. I know no-one here will agree with me but having this player is the root cause of our playing style. I will only begrudgingly accept it if we are top two-four placed. Instead unsurprisingly we are bottom four.

Finally I am of the minority opinion that Covid19 policy is inherently wrong. This thread is another consequence of the joy of life generally being (unnecessarily imo) slowly drained from us. Life is simply more difficult in many aspects than before and people get tired of the problems doing varied activities creates and so just stop. In sports, there seems to be fewer people at our tennis club, I'm playing less, my wife goes running less, my children have lost interest in their sports. Using football as an example, the reduced interest is not wholly due to the  football at our club. Attendances are down generally, aren't they?
    In total, the opening weekend fixtures in Sky Bet League One amounted to a divisional-high over the past six years, as more than 134,000 supporters cheered on their teams, surpassing the benchmark of 116,444 set in 2018/19.
    https://www.efl.com/news/2021/august/crowds-flock-back-to-efl-after-restrictions-are-lifted/
    Don't read too much into those figures. The total attendance greatly inflated by 31500 at Sunderland, 21000 at Ipswich, 17600 at Charlton and 16000 at Bolton. I very much doubt the last 3 clubs will carry on getting those sort of crowds. 
  • Options
    Ticket bought for Portsmouth now, went for the £33 might as well as don't do it every week.
  • Options
    Until you have the 3 front players on hot form with support from a progressive midfield, this system is dull. We don't have to be world beaters, but we do need to attack and do need to entertain, otherwise it's just too depressing. Makes it hard to think of a random away game as the hopeful, fun experience it should be.
  • Options
    Loan players for Luton, AIDs football.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Quite frankly £30 to watch third division football for players who given half a chance will leave or refuse to play despite their unreal salaries… has quite quickly lost its appeal for me. 
    Slowly trying to convince myself to watch dartford/welling the more i watch league football. 

Will still end up going after lee scores a hatrick on saturday 😂
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    I was also enjoying it less because of the whole stand-up, sit-down issue and some of the knobhead's following us away.
    I go to aways with my gf who is shorter then me, and it only takes a medium sized dude to be standing in front of us and then my gf wont be able to see anything and the day is ruined for her. If theres room to change seats that issue can be mitigated, but if its a sellout its pot luck on if she will actually be able to watch the game.
    I don't think goldfishes care that much about football anyway mate.
    Thats a woosh from me. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lack of interest after Bowyer went to be honest. Not entirely sure why, as I like Adkins. Lack of investment over the summer has not made we fancy streaming a single game whereas I streamed nearly all of them last season. 
  • Options
    clive said:

Don't read too much into those figures. The total attendance greatly inflated by 31500 at Sunderland, 21000 at Ipswich, 17600 at Charlton and 16000 at Bolton. I very much doubt the last 3 clubs will carry on getting those sort of crowds. 
    Dont read too much into the figures?
    They are the figures.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clive said:

They are the figures.
    Point I was making (or at least trying to make) is let's not pretend crowds in League 1 are going to continue to be a Divisional high as the opening day crowds were inflated by 3 clubs (and sorry to say, yes I do include us in that statement) who are not going to get that level of attendance too often.

And if you think there will be 17,000 plus at Charlton tomorrow for a game against Crewe, I think you might be disappointed. 
  • Options
    Massively into football and (sadly) Charlton.  Can't wait for the kids to get a little bit older so I can haul them all round the country to glamourous locations like Accrington and Fleetwood.  

Hopefully by then we'll be facing more prestigious opponents in a higher league and we can look forward to weekends in Rotherham and Blackburn.

Joking aside I am genuinely looking forward to doing the aways. Have had season ticket in the main for years so do most homes but never really did the aways regularly and am looking forward to doing them regularly for years to come with the kids because find them more enjoyable than home games in a lot of ways.

• Options
    clb74 said:
    clive said:

They are the figures.
    Point I was making (or at least trying to make) is let's not pretend crowds in League 1 are going to continue to be a Divisional high as the opening day crowds were inflated by 3 clubs (and sorry to say, yes I do include us in that statement) who are not going to get that level of attendance too often.

And if you think there will be 17,000 plus at Charlton tomorrow for a game against Crewe, I think you might be disappointed. 
    Clive was talking about the opening weekend fixtures, which were the highest for a few years.
    No one was talking about the whole season apart from you.
    I'm not talking about 17000 being at the game tomorrow , you are.
    The fact is on the opening weekend fixtures in league one it was the highest in attendance since 18/19.

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    I was also enjoying it less because of the whole stand-up, sit-down issue and some of the knobhead's following us away.
    I go to aways with my gf who is shorter then me, and it only takes a medium sized dude to be standing in front of us and then my gf wont be able to see anything and the day is ruined for her. If theres room to change seats that issue can be mitigated, but if its a sellout its pot luck on if she will actually be able to watch the game.
    I don't think goldfishes care that much about football anyway mate.
    Thats a woosh from me. 
    I was pretending that I thought gf meant goldfish.
  • Options
    Razor1890 said:
    What is AIDS football?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I loved Curbishley because he was a great manager who achieved something special. I loved Powell because he was a terrific manager who loved the club back and was part of Curbishley's success as a player. Bowyer had the potential to be in that category but he just got worn down by all the crap that is Charlton and that crap wears some of us down too and whilst ESI are no more, RD is still hanging around. He is somebody who it is hard to love. 

I like Adkins and I hope to end up loving him and some people may call it entitled but I think we have been in League One for enough cumulative years recently to be critical and a little more disengaged.
  • Options
    Massively into football and (sadly) Charlton.  Can't wait for the kids to get a little bit older so I can haul them all round the country to glamourous locations like Accrington and Fleetwood.  

Hopefully by then we'll be facing more prestigious opponents in a higher league and we can look forward to weekends in Rotherham and Blackburn.

Joking aside I am genuinely looking forward to doing the aways. Have had season ticket in the main for years so do most homes but never really did the aways regularly and am looking forward to doing them regularly for years to come with the kids because find them more enjoyable than home games in a lot of ways.
    So was I but god knows why, the kids don’t always want to do what we want them to do. Disappointing. 
     :-(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not going again today. 

Main reason is COVID, really can't afford to risk it with the current infection rates.
  • Options
    Razor1890 said:
    What is AIDS football?
    Adkins Inspired Dull Shite
  • Options
    It's compulsive to 'follow' Charlton's progress (or lack thereof) for me but I am not attending matches this season for a combination of various health, family and financial reasons. Like @eaststandmike I too shed tears when Len Glover was sold.
  • Options
    Lack of interest after Bowyer went to be honest. Not entirely sure why, as I like Adkins. Lack of investment over the summer has not made we fancy streaming a single game whereas I streamed nearly all of them last season. 
    Bowyer leaving was a bit of a turning point for me too. I think he was one of the remaining people that I felt had some real passion and had a link to the 'good old days' of Charlton. Adkins' positive stuff just doesn't do it for me. We need a manager who sticks fireworks up the players' arses and looks like they give a fuck.
  • Options
    another 3 good signings and I think some of u will look back on this thread and feel a bit embarrassed - if not then the signings are either crap or watching football just ant for u any more
  • Options
    Promotion teams always create bonds with fans - how many of the players in the legends lists were involved in non event sides ? Let’s see how disconnected to the players u feel this time next year if we are promoted 
  • Options
    The win has certainly helped.

Don't look back, look forward
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Jessie said:
    The extra time goal by JJ against QPR, and the Wembley final... Those are my recent happy memories of following this club from afar but sadly they seem like ten years ago to me now. 

I follow a West Ham fan account on Chinese social media (I started to follow it around 2014 but rarely read what they post nowadays) and noticed the other day that it has got over 110k followers, while the account I set up for us in 2016 currently only has 2900+ followers. I know we can't compete with clubs like West Ham but I really envy that account, envy how big it has become in just a few years time. Like someone said above, it's frustrating that we are so far behind not just Palace but even Millwall now... I don't even talk about Charlton with anyone in my life now because there's nothing to talk about. I still do match results updates using my social media account I just mentioned above but there's been very little to be excited for really. Like others I used to like a lot of the players in the squad, JJ, Yann, Rhoys Wiggins, (even Laurie Wilson😆), Jordan Cousins, Chris Solly, Lile Taylor, Patrick Bauer, Josh Cullen, Jonny Williams even though we were in the third division. But now I'm not particularly interested in anyone...maybe except JFC... 

I'm sure if and when form starts to pick up and results start to get better, the mood will change but in the last couple of seasons the posts on CL have become more interesting than the football itself... 
    That's the same with me Jessie, and I live with two other Charlton fans.
    Your sister is your brother, your father is Ged Roddy 

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    The win has certainly helped.

Don't look back, look forward
    I think the fact most of the team are new, doesn’t help with the bond. For example, the only starter from pre behind close door football was Matthews. So it’s basically a whole new team we are supporting. Haven’t been able to build a bond with any of them yet.