Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What’s with the reduced interest?

Comments

• Options
    If apathy had a value, we would be sitting on a goldmine at the Valley.
  • Options
    Personally, after my Roland boycott, I feel that I have lost the urge to go to games. I held a season ticket for 20+ years until I started my Valley Boycott and now I feel more distant from the club and the home fans (my season ticket was for J block about six rows from the back, so I am not an old git, I just feel I wouldn’t fit in there anymore).
    I feel that asking me to pay £400+ is no longer realistic anymore.
  • Options
    A realignment of what's important in life and how best to use what time we have?

3 hours travel and rubbish football or a stream and some extra time to spend with people. 
  • Options
    living in Dorset means a day out at the Valley will cost the two of us over £100, add to that the Covid thing and a trip to watch Charlton becomes less inviting. As for away games there are few near us unlike when in Lancashire when we went to so many away games.
    Then there is the football, I don't really mind L1 but would prefer the Championship but not the Prem, however I don't identify with any of the current players or the manager which reduces the anticipation and  excitement. So I think we'll stay in Dorset, watch Charlton TV and hope for better days ahead.
    But if they sign a few good players and start winning.................????????
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Been there, seen it, got the tee shirt. The traffic getting away from the ground is appalling and I have to consider the GLW. I can’t spend all of my time on Charlton Life and then justifying spend a whole day away from home only for me to be in a bad mood every time we lose … which is quite often these days 

edit : The only exceptions to away games is going to a place where there’s a shopping centre that the GLW likes. In particular, Portsmouth and Oxford. 
  • Options
    I started boycotting after the Burnley Championship winning match after being practically ever present since 65/66. Although I missed coming to the Valley I had other things to occupy myself with, so after I while it became a habit to just follow the game online. When the scum arrived I was on the verge of buying a half season but something held me back but I came to see the West Brom league match & then with Mouthalls  interview when he couldn't stop the lies flowing from his disgusting mouth there was no way I was giving him my money. When Sandgaard arrived the wave of optimism that swept the club had me excited & I would have bought a season but of Course Covid was upon us. End of last season we were led to believe that  we would be building a squad capable of pushing for automatic promotion or at least the play offs & I waited for some decent signings & waited ............................. & waited. Now as we all know we had been led once more up the garden path & I just can't be bothered anymore. Of course we have Sandgaard to thank for saving our club from possible extinction & for paying the operating costs etc & we will always be grateful for that but if we can't even be competitive in Division 3 I will carry on supporting on line & maybe one day I get that urge back to come to the Valley & watch some live footie.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
  • Options
    I guess that having rekindled my love of football in 2015 the fire still burns quite brightly, especially as I’m glass half full by nature. 
    Less so for my boys who loved the playoff final, but have limited patience for L1 when all their mates are flippin’ Chelsea or Arsenal. Hoping to bring one of them to the Crewe game, although it’ll have to come with a health warning. 
    For me the current mess is all part of the drama you expect with Charlton. BUT, another Slade-like season of struggling in the lower reaches of L1 is bound to dim the passion a little. Can only imaging what it’s like for you real long term fans who’ve had to put up with this stuff for much longer; since Curbs moved on, I guess. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm a fair-weather
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    I was well up for Saturdays game - my first since the game before lockdown. Had a couple of beers, chatted to my boys about how good it was to go back. Sitting down half an hour before in the ground looking around thinking how good it was to be back….then the team was read out…..the lack of interest started, by half time is was bored of it, by the final whistle I was hoping for another lockdown.  I actually think I spent more time looking up results of other matches than watching the game.

Got my season tickets, and for me it’s spending quality father and son time with my boys - but the 90 min bit in the middle of the day totally ruins it. 

Hopefully a few new signings will happen and reignite the flame.
    And theres the problem.
    Too many go to the football to watch the football.

I know - I might have a skinful before the game Saturday, move my ticket to the west stand and have a siesta between 3-4.45
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    I was well up for Saturdays game - my first since the game before lockdown. Had a couple of beers, chatted to my boys about how good it was to go back. Sitting down half an hour before in the ground looking around thinking how good it was to be back….then the team was read out…..the lack of interest started, by half time is was bored of it, by the final whistle I was hoping for another lockdown.  I actually think I spent more time looking up results of other matches than watching the game.

Got my season tickets, and for me it’s spending quality father and son time with my boys - but the 90 min bit in the middle of the day totally ruins it. 

And theres the problem.

I know - I might have a skinful before the game Saturday, move my ticket to the west stand and have a siesta between 3-4.45
    Might be best to get in the boozer for 11am.
    Get to the ground for when the turnstiles open 1.30pm , take in the pre match build up then 3pm back down the boozer.

• Options
    There is only one real factor as always, the team need to start wining games.
    If we had 10 points instead of 1 point, Gillingham would be sold out.

Sold out, despite finances, Covid, loss of habit, online possibilities, etc.
  • Options
    There is only one real factor as always, the team need to start wining games.
    If we had 10 points instead of 1 point, Gillingham would be sold out.

Sold out, despite finances, Covid, loss of habit, online possibilities, etc.
    and if we had say 6 points from 4, had scored maybe 6 goals in those games, and had a clear structure to the team, a game plan to go with it, while needing to bed new players in and recruit a couple of back ups in the squad?

Reckon that would be enough for a sell-out too.

• Options
    clb74 said:

And theres the problem.

Maybe the club needs a new hospitality package where you pay £2000 for food and drink while watching Charlton TV, but don't actually have a ticket for the match
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    I was also enjoying it less because of the whole stand-up, sit-down issue and some of the knobhead's following us away.
    I go to aways with my gf who is shorter then me, and it only takes a medium sized dude to be standing in front of us and then my gf wont be able to see anything and the day is ruined for her. If theres room to change seats that issue can be mitigated, but if its a sellout its pot luck on if she will actually be able to watch the game.
    I wouldn't worry too much. If you keep taking her to Charlton games you'll be single soon anyway. 
    Not sure about that, its been nearly 12 years!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Streaming for me, pure and simple.  I typically attend matches on my own as my sons have lost nearly all interest.  For £10 I can watch the game in the comfort of my house and not waste most of my Saturday.  Not sure I will attend another unless we get back to the Prem where it's at least a proper experience again.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    I was also enjoying it less because of the whole stand-up, sit-down issue and some of the knobhead's following us away.
    I go to aways with my gf who is shorter then me, and it only takes a medium sized dude to be standing in front of us and then my gf wont be able to see anything and the day is ruined for her. If theres room to change seats that issue can be mitigated, but if its a sellout its pot luck on if she will actually be able to watch the game.
    I wouldn't worry too much. If you keep taking her to Charlton games you'll be single soon anyway. 
    Not sure about that, its been nearly 12 years!
    In which case you might be single soon if you don't pop the question mate!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I’m very much picking and choosing away games, depending on how the teams doing / whether it’s a ground I’ve not been to or not before, I’m not interested in gillingham or Wycombe, these days there’s got be a blooming good reason to go, because it takes up so much time, if I was retired then I would go to more away games, I’d make a thing of it, stay in a hotel, maybe do some sight seeing and make it a bit of a break, but when you’re working it’s a lot harder, and I have less free time.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    I don't think goldfishes care that much about football anyway mate.
  • Options
    Covid
  • Options
    Regarding seeing a match in person, I've not been simply because although I'm now allowed in the country, the government make it too complicated once arrived. If any one person on my plane or train tests positive on the 2nd day then it's ten days isolation. Taking this worst case scenario it was logistically impossible two weeks ago because there would have been no-one home with the kids last week. If we'd gone last week then we could have missed our current barge trip. If I'd gone with the kids, we could be stuck in a hotel room together for ten days!

Regarding the international pass on Charlton TV I haven't bought one, not because the other teams play ugly football in this 3rd division but because we do. We are like watching the worst long ball bunch of cloggers the league has seen since Preston two seasons ago who had Stockley in their team. I know no-one here will agree with me but having this player is the root cause of our playing style. I will only begrudgingly accept it if we are top two-four placed. Instead unsurprisingly we are bottom four.

Finally I am of the minority opinion that Covid19 policy is inherently wrong. This thread is another consequence of the joy of life generally being (unnecessarily imo) slowly drained from us. Life is simply more difficult in many aspects than before and people get tired of the problems doing varied activities creates and so just stop. In sports, there seems to be fewer people at our tennis club, I'm playing less, my wife goes running less, my children have lost interest in their sports. Using football as an example, the reduced interest is not wholly due to the  football at our club. Attendances are down generally, aren't they?