Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oxford United v Charlton Athletic | Saturday 14th August | Match Preview

Comments

• A paper over the cracks win for a below average side.
    Right now I'd take that.
  • unchanged team and a draw

Oxford United 0 v CAFC 0 .. a boring yet (I M O) quite satisfactory start, along with the home draw, to what will be a long and tough season
    Right now I'd take that.
    A win is a win. I'd take promotion however it comes, whether that be a mix of 0-0 & 1-0 results or 2-2 & 3-2
  • Would love a win but as things are at the moment a draw is fine, 1-1.
  • As long as we eliminate the donations at the back,a clean sheet is on the cards,can see us causing problems at corners with our height,but and it is a great big but,we have to get the ball to the far post.We have had so many corners in our first 2 games without once troubling the keeper.
  • 2-0 Charlton win, people to go from one extreme to the other saying we’re going to smash this tinpot league!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    A paper over the cracks win for a below average side.
    Right now I'd take that.
    A win is a win. I'd take promotion however it comes, whether that be a mix of 0-0 & 1-0 results or 2-2 & 3-2
    Based on the first couple of games I'd take survival however it comes.

• Think we’ll win, everyone will think our team is amazing, and we’ll only realise after the transfer window slams shut that it isn’t. 
  • Oxford United v Charlton Athletic
    Saturday 14th August 2021 … 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Thomas Bramall

Introduction
    A goalless draw against Sheffield Wednesday last Saturday wasn’t the worst start to a league campaign in the world but wasn’t exactly the best either – Hopefully it’ll end up being a hangover from pre-season with sharpness still lacking for a few weeks, but it’s an “excuse” that can’t last for long. August will throw up some tough fixtures, whilst promotion / relegation can’t be decided as yet; it’s not ideal playing catch up.

This Saturday the Valley faithful head to Oxford, the transfer window may be open for a few more weeks, but we can’t be sitting on our hands, hoping that new bodies will come in – The season has started so let’s not get left behind where it truly matters

The Opposition
    Name: Oxford United | Manager: Karl Robinson
    Ground: Kassam Stadium
    Previous Meeting: Oxford United 0-0 Charlton Athletic

Unfortunately the Kassam Stadium is for many where our dreams of the Play-Offs ended last season and to an extent they have a point – A penalty in the dying moments, Ronnie Schwartz with a chance of redemption… Well in true Charlton fashion we know what happened next and what transpired.

Our opponents last week (with their off the field issues) may not be a threat this season, but you’d certainly expect to see Oxford challenging again this term.  Evidence of that is the reminder that this appears a team that starts a season slowly (they’d only obtain four wins before the end of November last year), yet get stronger as the season progresses, a 1-1 draw on the opening day of the season at Cambridge, although not in the middle of the River Thames for once, is potential proof of that.

Just four permanent signings have been made by our opponents along with three loans, perhaps evidence of where others are struggling to find the right targets as well as ourselves…

My pick of those to watch is firstly Billy Bodin, still only 29 yet released from Preston in the summer… Whilst the left winger struggled in the Championship he knows where the goal was at this level, scoring 13-goals for Bristol Rovers in his last full season in League One – Gavin Whyte on the other hand is their loan signing to watch, and another International team mate that Conor Washington will know well, a threat when Oxford played us at the Valley in 2018/19, scoring an impressive solo goal in what would be a 1-1 draw.

Charlton Team News
    Until we see new bodies it’s unlikely that we’ll see huge changes to the starting eleven – Something that was probably stressed by the performance last night when the Addicks once again disappeared from the League Cup just as quickly as they entered… next year will be our year I’m sure of it.

So with the squad picking itself it’s on to those currently absent, well sadly there isn’t much to report there either, for those who didn’t see the article yesterday, it’s likely that Ben Purrington, Alex Gilbey and Ronnie Schwartz will remain out of the team for a little longer, that’s if the latter is ever seen amongst the first team again.

MacGillivray
    Matthews – Inniss – Famewo – Gunter
    Clare – Dobson
    Morgan
    Jaiyesimi – Stockley – Washington

Substitutes Bench: Harness – Pearce – Elewere – Watson – Clayden – Davison – Ghandour

Prediction
    If there has been one positive from this last week it’s the fact that against Sheffield Wednesday, our defence for the most part looked impenetrable… Ryan Inniss and Akin Famewo at the very least have picked up where they ended last term, provided those two stay fit (a concern for the whole team) it’s likely that we’ll be able to record a clean sheet.

Unless Jayden Stockley’s gorgeous head can be found in the box, it’s likely that we’ll be looking at another stalemate – For those making the journey, I really wouldn’t expect this to be a classic, but what do I know.
    Cheers, wanna buy a ticket to this match ?
    Im away in Hastings for the weekend so I'm good
  • cant see us winning but maybe, just maybe, we get a clean sheet draw again. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm going to this and I am not entirely sure why
    Hoping for a couple of 11th hour signings to come off the bench and turn the match in our favour.
    Right now I'd take that.
    That's what I admire...

Positivity..
  • Return train tickets less than face value, no priority sale.
    Please.
    Whoever buys the tickets can have a full refund if we win.
    I cannot say fairer than that.
  • Get updating your team predictions peoples!!

Reckon we'll see Kirk on the bench ahead of Ghandour at the very least this Saturday
  • I'm going to this and I am not entirely sure why
    Hoping for a couple of 11th hour signings to come off the bench and turn the match in our favour.
    That's what I'm talking about  :)
  • Do we need to start kirk right away or should be eased into it as a sub? 
  • I'm not sure he will even be available mate. It would be asking him alot in the current circumstances. I would imagine he has returned to Crewe
  • Do we need to start kirk right away or should be eased into it as a sub? 
    How we start him will have a lot to do with his state of mind following the death of his father.
    Hopefully start him Saturday but if he needs a bit of time he should be given it.
  • With no threat up front and a defense that still switches off then 2-0 to Oxford.
  • Sponsored links:

• msomerton said:
    With no threat up front and a defense that still switches off then 2-0 to Oxford.
    It's people like you that really inspire me...

Not
  • I want to change an under 22 ticket I have purchased to a full adult one. My son's friend has Covid! I presume this is possible via the ticket office. Does anybody know?
  • We probably need to calm a bit about Kirk. Might well take him time to settle, might make a few mistakes and disappoint at first. We as fans are so jumpy could see him being given stick if he doesn’t hit the ground running. 
  • edited August 2021
    Whatever happens, the football is going to be so much better this year. Last year it was unwatchable - stomach churning at times. I'll never forget the heart-dropping feeling every time I saw that Pratley-Watson midfield lineup announced. We've got a much more energetic and technical team and it should produce some good stuff. 
  • edited August 2021
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/6113a4eb6adc7/watch-charltontvs-pre-shows-live-on-youtube-this-season

Supporters all over the world will be able to watch CharltonTV’s popular pre-shows live on YouTube this season, starting this Saturday (August 14th).

Saturday’s programme will start at 2.15pm and fans based in the UK and Ireland will be able to watch up until five minutes before kick-off on YouTube.
    I love this - will have it ready and waiting on the tele.
  • edited August 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    We probably need to calm a bit about Kirk. Might well take him time to settle, might make a few mistakes and disappoint at first. We as fans are so jumpy could see him being given stick if he doesn’t hit the ground running. 
    Given everything that’s gone on in his personal life, I don’t expect to see him involved in either this weekend’s game, or midweek against MK.

Wouldn’t be shocked if he makes his debut off the bench against Wigan and then starts against Crewe.

His situation is well publicised at this point so I’d like to think he’s going to get a lot of slack from the supporters. He’s picked the right club to join at this point in his career and in his life.
  • Take a score draw if offered 
  • A no score draw and melt down city on CL