Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oxford United v Charlton Athletic | Saturday 14th August | Match Preview

Oxford United v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 14th August 2021 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Thomas Bramall

Introduction
A goalless draw against Sheffield Wednesday last Saturday wasn’t the worst start to a league campaign in the world but wasn’t exactly the best either – Hopefully it’ll end up being a hangover from pre-season with sharpness still lacking for a few weeks, but it’s an “excuse” that can’t last for long. August will throw up some tough fixtures, whilst promotion / relegation can’t be decided as yet; it’s not ideal playing catch up.

This Saturday the Valley faithful head to Oxford, the transfer window may be open for a few more weeks, but we can’t be sitting on our hands, hoping that new bodies will come in – The season has started so let’s not get left behind where it truly matters

The Opposition
Name: Oxford United | Manager: Karl Robinson
Ground: Kassam Stadium
Previous Meeting: Oxford United 0-0 Charlton Athletic

Unfortunately the Kassam Stadium is for many where our dreams of the Play-Offs ended last season and to an extent they have a point – A penalty in the dying moments, Ronnie Schwartz with a chance of redemption… Well in true Charlton fashion we know what happened next and what transpired.

Our opponents last week (with their off the field issues) may not be a threat this season, but you’d certainly expect to see Oxford challenging again this term.  Evidence of that is the reminder that this appears a team that starts a season slowly (they’d only obtain four wins before the end of November last year), yet get stronger as the season progresses, a 1-1 draw on the opening day of the season at Cambridge, although not in the middle of the River Thames for once, is potential proof of that.

Just four permanent signings have been made by our opponents along with three loans, perhaps evidence of where others are struggling to find the right targets as well as ourselves…

My pick of those to watch is firstly Billy Bodin, still only 29 yet released from Preston in the summer… Whilst the left winger struggled in the Championship he knows where the goal was at this level, scoring 13-goals for Bristol Rovers in his last full season in League One – Gavin Whyte on the other hand is their loan signing to watch, and another International team mate that Conor Washington will know well, a threat when Oxford played us at the Valley in 2018/19, scoring an impressive solo goal in what would be a 1-1 draw.

Charlton Team News
Until we see new bodies it’s unlikely that we’ll see huge changes to the starting eleven – Something that was probably stressed by the performance last night when the Addicks once again disappeared from the League Cup just as quickly as they entered… next year will be our year I’m sure of it.

So with the squad picking itself it’s on to those currently absent, well sadly there isn’t much to report there either, for those who didn’t see the article yesterday, it’s likely that Ben Purrington, Alex Gilbey and Ronnie Schwartz will remain out of the team for a little longer, that’s if the latter is ever seen amongst the first team again.

MacGillivray
Matthews – Inniss – Famewo – Gunter
Clare – Dobson
Morgan
Jaiyesimi – Stockley – Washington

Substitutes Bench: Harness – Pearce – Elewere – Watson – Clayden – Davison – Ghandour

Prediction
If there has been one positive from this last week it’s the fact that against Sheffield Wednesday, our defence for the most part looked impenetrable… Ryan Inniss and Akin Famewo at the very least have picked up where they ended last term, provided those two stay fit (a concern for the whole team) it’s likely that we’ll be able to record a clean sheet.

Unless Jayden Stockley’s gorgeous head can be found in the box, it’s likely that we’ll be looking at another stalemate – For those making the journey, I really wouldn’t expect this to be a classic, but what do I know.

Comments

• Not seen us win there in recent years with much better teams than the current threadbare one . 

I’ll be there and I’ll have my fingers crossed that we can get something but I’m not confident. 

2-0 Oxford 
  • I think we are more effective away from home . We are strong defensively and with the height we have in the team look quite dangerous at corners . It won't be pretty  , but 1-0 away win .
  • Robinson has had the benefit in recent meetings of being able to set his team up to beat players and a manager he knew really well. Might be not so easy for him this time around 
  • I think the next 2 games are going to be really tough for us, unless we can quickly bring in reinforcements, as our squad is so light. Can Innis play both the Oxford and MKD games for example?

We might get a draw, but I suspect another 1-0 defeat
  • Nothing I've seen or heard so far this season has given me any encouragement. 2-0 Oxford.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    0-1 CLEAN SHEET WIN! 
    Ronnie Schwartz penalty to settle things. He'll be a late addition to the bench After Stockley pulls out with a headache. 
  • edited August 2021
    I think we’re rubbish up top but outstanding defensively. It sort of reminds me of Sunderlands first season in League One.

This is going to be the second of many, many 0-0 draws
  • I have confidence in our first 11. We have a good spine. 

I have very little confidence if we need to make an attacking substitution as we do not possess a single player with any proven first team prowess on the bench. 

1-0 to us, Karl Robinson own goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• 0-0 or a loss if they score. 

Just don't think we have enough quality to give Stockley any service at all. 

Defense will be tested for most of the game and let's see if we can keep them out for 90 minutes. 
  • Charlton 0.....................
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I think we’re rubbish up top but outstanding defensively. It sort of reminds me of Sunderlands first season in League One.

This is going to be the first of many, many 0-0 draws
    You realise we drew 0-0 on Saturday right?
    I rest my case…. 

Cheers just edited the above 
  • Charlton 0.....................
    Welcome to Charlton Life, Jim Davidson!
  • Two games to get the summer legginess out of our systems

Season starts Saturday - 1-3 to the Addicks
  • 0 - 0 and the pressure mounts on the ‘recruitment team’ in finding some firepower. Seeing us get another clean sheet draw may be dull, but further proves that we have what it takes at the back.
  • edited August 2021
    I said in the preview for Sheff wed 0-0.
    I have also stated we could draw every League game in August because of the way we are set up and the players we have available.
    0-0 or 1-1; edging to 1-1 as we score from set piece and a mistake at the back leads to their goal.

I wonder if we will have a 4-2-3-1 stalemate as the Mersey boys cancel each other out ?

Or a 4-3-3 stalemate. 

• Return train tickets less than face value, no priority sale.
    Please.
  • What’s happened to the new signing from Crewe?
  • Sponsored links:

• What’s happened to the new signing from Crewe?
    His Dad has passed away, sounds like still potential but has added doubts.
  • Exact same XI as the last league game, exact same score.
  • Oxford are quite a short team so can see us causing them some problems especially from set pieces.. unless said set piece is a penalty.
  • edited August 2021
    Jac_52 said:
    Oxford are quite a short team so can see us causing them some problems especially from set pieces.. unless said set piece is a penalty.
    Unless they scamper through our legs.

Complete Walkthrough of quotGiants and Dwarves TDquot - LevelSkip
  • Sage said:
    We will score and it will come from a corner. Oxford are weak at the near post so whether that’s an area we exploit or an area as a decoy to create space elsewhere, we shall see. I would be disappointed if it’s something the staff have not identified.

Same starting 11, and we can only hope we manage to bring in some players soon because we simply don’t have the players on the bench to change a game or to replace with similar quality.

With the type of side we have right now, I think we are suited to playing away. With that in mind, we pick up our first 3 points of the season.

Oxford United 0-1 Charlton Athletic
    Inniss
    I wish I was like you Sage, I admire the way you are usually so positive and enlightened. After nearly 70 years of watching Charlton I should be used to it and once I think I was like you and positive, but not for many years but I suppose one can hope and it cheers me up reading your comments and for a while believing them
  • We won’t score. 1 - 0 Oxford
  • I don't think Oxford will defend their box as well as Wednesday did. Expect us to grab a 0 - 2 win. 
  • A paper over the cracks win for a below average side.