Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ted Lasso

Comments

• Options
    CafcWest said:
    Anyone watching Ted Lasso to see a programme about football is missing the point - IMO.  The football club is just a vehicle for a show that's all about life, people, doing the right thing and overcoming hardships, disagreements, ups and down's.  It has used the football scenario to make some valuable moral points and get some messages across.  It's very clever.

It’s pretty obvious that the football is not what the show is about as you say.
    I’d be very surprised if many people are tuning in to see a programme about football. It’s pretty obvious that it’s a character based show, so I don’t think people are really missing the point like you suggest.
    My point was that the storylines seem to be a bit incomplete, pointless and, well, just a bit crap really. Nothing to do with the football bit.

(For what it’s worth, in my view, the football action is pretty ridiculous, but then it was always going to be, so that’s not a problem. I really don’t mind it actually, as it’s so outlandish, it’s kind of amusing. Surely nobody seriously expected the football part of the show to be convincingly realistic?)
    Are you seriously suggesting a dog wouldn't get killed from a penalty?
    spoiler alert! 

• Options
    I’m now only still watching because there’s not long to go now. It’s inoffensive easy to watch tv, so there’s no harm, I guess.

I was a bit puzzled this week though - it felt like I’d missed an episode. Nathan’s story, in particular, felt like it had leapt forward a long way with no real explanation. A bit weird.
    There's a real pacing issue that the show does nothing to address. In order to fit a full Premier League season into 12 episodes they have to jump things forward really quickly but they've really struggled this season with getting across how that time has progressed. It didn't matter in earlier seasons when everything was just based around the training ground and the pub but now everyone is split all over the place and having big moments you've got people having an argument in January and then that argument is still fresh as if it's the next week like it is for the viewer but for the characters it's now March. Now they're rushing to the finish they're doing the opposite; they're assuming the viewer is aware that loads of time has passed and loads of growth and thinking has happened in characters despite telling you the opposite up to this point. This season feels like they've tried to get bigger while simultaneously ending the show before it gets too bloated and the effect is that it's in conflict with itself. It's a shame, they could have just had Keeley work in Richmond and cut a lot of unnecessary new stuff to give more time to Nate's arc but instead he was the villain for the space between series 2 and 3 and I guess we have to do the writing for that in our heads. It's odd.
    I agree with all of that, which I think is why I’ve kind of checked out.
    However, the Nate thing this week specifically was quite jarring. (I was trying not to say too much in my earlier post to avoid giving spoilers - suffice to say, we saw a bit of tension in the previous episode, but it’s ludicrous to think it was enough to cause the outcome we were fed at the beginning of this episode.)
    It was a real wtf moment. And in an unsatisfactory way. (I don’t mind some of the other wtf moments, like Chris Powell’s weird comments, Tony Head’s attempt at a working class accent, the ridiculous football action - all of this is wtf but also kind of amusing.)

Anyway, I’m just waiting for it to end now.
    Nearly there! 😎
    I hadn't actually seen this week's episode when I posted but I watched it last night and I thought it was one of the better episodes this series. They've tied off their biggest mistakes (the stupid PR firm storyline, the random Kent/Keeley break up) and did some good stuff (Nate growth, Rebecca getting to actually do something, the scene with Jamie and Kent at the party). I agree with you on how jarring the thing with Nate was but I can only imagine or hope that that's because what happened will be revealed in a conversation between Nate and Ted. Wouldn't put it past them to just lol on past it and never explain though.
  • Options
    I think it's incredible and the character development/writing is very good.

Quite surprised at the feedback it's getting on this thread rather than accepting it for what it actually is, a cheesy, goofy comedy series with a hint of rom-com. It also does surprisingly well in the moments of seriousness, will obviously avoid examples because of spoilers. 

I think it's done very well and wouldn't be surprised if it goes for another 2 or 3 seasons with the amount of traction it's getting now.
    This is the final season.
  • Options

Quite surprised at the feedback it's getting on this thread rather than accepting it for what it actually is, a cheesy, goofy comedy series with a hint of rom-com. It also does surprisingly well in the moments of seriousness, will obviously avoid examples because of spoilers. 

I think it's done very well and wouldn't be surprised if it goes for another 2 or 3 seasons with the amount of traction it's getting now.
    They all say that, wouldn't be surprised if it carries on in some shape or form, it doesn't feel like it's anywhere near ready to be concluded just yet 
  • Options
    Its reminds me in a way of the Netflix comedy Sex Education.  When it first started, it was really good.  1st 2 seasons was very watchable then it sort of went off the rails a bit 3rd season.  The 4th season is due out shortly I believe.  No Maeve in it this time, sadly.  Will be interesting to see how the new season pans out.
  • Options

Apparently it's still undecided.  My guess is that the success its having may mean another series.
  • Options
    I was lucky enough to catch up with Toheeb who plays Sam a few months ago.
    From what he said it is unlikely there will be another series anytime soon. The show is a huge hit in America and several members of the cast are getting involved in some fairly big projects moving forwards. Maybe some sort of spin off but I wouldn't expect a fourth season.
  • Options
    This series has got better each episode and the character development and life lessons it has given is why this show is great. How they dealt with Colins own story arc shows exactly why this show has touched many.
  • Options
    I’m now only still watching because there’s not long to go now. It’s inoffensive easy to watch tv, so there’s no harm, I guess.

I was a bit puzzled this week though - it felt like I’d missed an episode. Nathan’s story, in particular, felt like it had leapt forward a long way with no real explanation. A bit weird.
    That Nathan, a third of the time I can't hear him, another third of the time I can't understand what he's saying. Thought he was stealing a living but has an impressive CV.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't agree with all the comments 'season 3 is shit' and anyone who thinks it's a programme trying to explain football probably would think M*A*S*H was a tv programme looking to explain medical efforts in a war. 

When we've watched the Netherlands one, the coming out one and even the job loss one, we've thought they were funny and bang on the money. 
  • Options
    Think it took its time to find its way again. The first couple of episodes, focusing on the annoying Rupert/Rebecca storyline, Keeley being lost at her new firm, Roy just being lost, and the unbalanced Zava (and Nate), plus a lack of classic Ted, were definitely sub-par for me, but since then, and partly due to the groundwork laid then, it's been right back on the money. But needing to sacrifice 2-3 episodes of a series to develop scenarios to get back to the best is probably a good reason to stop it after Season 3.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Jonniesta said:
    Think it took its time to find its way again. The first couple of episodes, focusing on the annoying Rupert/Rebecca storyline, Keeley being lost at her new firm, Roy just being lost, and the unbalanced Zava (and Nate), plus a lack of classic Ted, were definitely sub-par for me, but since then, and partly due to the groundwork laid then, it's been right back on the money. But needing to sacrifice 2-3 episodes of a series to develop scenarios to get back to the best is probably a good reason to stop it after Season 3.
    Agree.  I’m enjoying it again after the first four or five episodes of this season. It’s cheese but it’s dealing with some quite difficult topics so fair play. Really annoying not being able to binge it though. Shows how our viewing habits have changed. 
  • Options
    Proper fitting ending to the series but there's hope that there's either more Ted Lasso or spin offs at least. Whilst some critiqued the slow build up to this series, the ending made it all fit in nicely. I feel they would need to bring Ted back for the series to properly to succeed for a 4th series.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Its reminds me in a way of the Netflix comedy Sex Education.  When it first started, it was really good.  1st 2 seasons was very watchable then it sort of went off the rails a bit 3rd season.  The 4th season is due out shortly I believe.  No Maeve in it this time, sadly.  Will be interesting to see how the new season pans out.
    Thought Maeve was going to be in it but not a few others, like the stepsister, and the alien fan one.
  • Options
    Thought it was a fantastic end and I won't lie I truly loved all 3 season and will miss it. Even my wife who hates football loved it as well
  • Options
    Just watching the last episode. No spoiler I hope, but watching Anthony Heads character leaving the stadium, makes me think of how TS might be treated if he ever tried to walk our touchline again.
  • Options
    I also loved all three seasons. 

As I understand it, this isn't the last of Ted. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I also loved all three seasons. 

As I understand it, this isn't the last of Ted. 
    I'm so hoping it isn't. They could start a new series with Ted, his wife and kid in London. They've packed their bags and moved to the UK. I honestly thought towards the end we was going to see them rekindle as you could tell she just got irritated with the other guy. But then what would happen to Roys role..
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Well, in the end I think it finished quite well. 
    I struggled at times this season due to some fairly dull, pointless or seemingly unresolved subplots and the previously mentioned bizarre time warp in Nate’s story, but it was harmless viewing. It also made a couple of good societal points about homophobia, mental health, misogyny and more, which were, in the main, reasonably well handled.
    *Warning - small spoiler next*
    I was pleased to see Rebecca’s romantic arc resolved too. It had bothered me how they left that.
    *End of spoiler*

As for the football element, I actually think the balance is pretty good - It looks pretty slick, but the action and football storylines are silly enough for nobody (in Britain, at least) to take it too seriously. I do wonder if the target American audience thinks it’s true to life though!

Overall, not bad. First series was good, second was ok and third was alright but meh in places - but a strong finish meant it was decent overall.
    I’d give a fourth series a go, but wouldn’t be too upset if they don’t do it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Don't agree with all the comments 'season 3 is shit' and anyone who thinks it's a programme trying to explain football probably would think M*A*S*H was a tv programme looking to explain medical efforts in a war. 

When we've watched the Netherlands one, the coming out one and even the job loss one, we've thought they were funny and bang on the money. 
    It's nothing to do with it being an accurate potrayl, the issue was that a good chunk of season 3 was all over the place. Ted was hardly in the first 7 or 8 episodes, there was too many plots being shoehorned in and they made a mess of Nate's story arc

It was still entertaining and it improved near the end but probably the weakest of the 3 seasons

• Options
    I enjoyed it, agree the third series wasn't as ground-breaking or funny but still overall a great show and i hope they do some sort of spin off. I kind of didn't expect too much from it and really enjoyed it, i wasn't ever looking from a football side, i just felt it was a great series which tackled some interesting topics and enjoyed the comedy side of it and the Americanised bits
  • Options
    enjoyable show, but definitely suffered the fate of many tv shows in having a pretty lacklustre and wayward final series. As i said, i think there's a real potential market for a women's team spin off for afc richmond. 

They've definitely left the door open for ted in the future to maybe come back with a reunion series later on down the line in ten years or so when his kid is all grown up. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Spoiler alert.

Totally unrealistic ending. As if fans could afford £1BN to buy a 49% stake.

😉

Otherwise I loved it. And SCP’s Cinderella to pumpkin comment will stay with me for a very long time. 

Oh and my Dons mate’s house was used as a location in it - nice little earner for him. 
  • Options
    I've never watched Apple TV but got a free 3 month subscription with a new iPhone, so we binge watched Series 1 a couple of weeks ago. A bit daft but a fun and entertaining watch. Series 2 wasn't as strong but picked up towards the end after some silly episodes in the middle. The Roy Kent character is clearly modelled on Roy Keane, even to the point of having a gig as a Sky TV pundit. Not watched series 3 yet.

Plus points:
    - Hannah Waddingham: what a woman ! I'd never heard of her until someone forwarded me a tweet with her extraordinary range of facial expressions as the Eurovision co-host 
    - we live in Twickenham, so much of it is filmed locally in Church Street and, in particular, around Richmond Green and the Prince's Head pub, where American tourists can be spotted taking selfies. 
    - the occasional appearances of Chis Powell - although, much as I love him, his acting is the very definition of 'wooden'. It's clearly not as easy as it looks..
  • Options
    Binged all 3 series in last 4 weeks and thoroughly enjoyed it .
    SCP I’ll let that one slide , please don’t attempt to do it again .

• Options
    Richard Curtis meets football.
    Football Actually. Etc.

Good news is, even my wife likes it!
  • Options
    Really enjoyed the first 2 seasons and for some reason I’ve watched the first 15 minutes of the 1st episode of season 3 and it’s really turned me off.  

I think the script has been awful and I must be bored with the characters.  Mad how it’s changed for me
  • Options
    And S3 pretty much wraps it up nicely.