Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ted Lasso

Comments

• Options
    Enjoyed the first two seasons. As others have said, it’s cheesy and dramas about footy are always cringeworthy to a degree. But this has, so far been excellent stuff. I’ve watched the first two episodes of season 3 and I’m not getting the same warm feeling about it. I’ll persevere. Is it just me or has Juno lost a worrying amount of weight?
  • Options
    Mrs went away last week for work and I wondered what to watch and seeing the ads for Season 3, I started Season 1.  Bloody loved it.  God knows when I'll get to watch Season 2 now she's back!
  • Options
    Season 3 has been pretty terrible. Feels like it should have ended after 2 seasons which is probably about the average length of tenure of a football manager!
  • Options
    I think its a series that needs to be watched in bulk to get into the mood of it. 1 episode per week makes it come across as really cheesy.
  • Options
    For those that don't have the subscription service is there anyway (legally preferably) to watch this show? 
  • Options
    For those that don't have the subscription service is there anyway (legally preferably) to watch this show? 
    Not technically legal, but nothing to get cops smashing down your door. Do you have a VPN?
  • Options
    finally caught up on this. Season 1 is fantastic, season 2 was a bit eh, a few filler episodes (incl the pretty pointless xmas episode). Season 3 is alright so far i think, better that there's a villain again (season 1 was rebecca, season 2 was ??).

Has certainly filled that office/parks and rec hole in that its a comedy with a bit of heartfelt moments and generally people being really nice to each other. As a football fan, and some one who's been around at least semi pro dressing rooms you need to seriously suspend your disbelief. 
  • Options
    Really not getting into series 3. It's been pretty crap so far.
  • Options
    Finally started watching Season 1 after hearing so many liked it. Watched 4 episodes last night and enjoyed it.
  • Options
    As I posted on the tv series thread….

The new series of Ted Lasso has failed where the first two succeeded in that it has finally descended too far into parody and cliché. The new star striker character is such a Zlatan rip off it’s untrue.  I realise it’s supposed to be a comedy based in parody but this is a season too far in my view. Should have quit while they were ahead. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As I posted on the tv series thread….

The new series of Ted Lasso has failed where the first two succeeded in that it has finally descended too far into parody and cliché. The new star striker character is such a Zlatan rip off it’s untrue.  I realise it’s supposed to be a comedy based in parody but this is a season too far in my view. Should have quit while they were ahead. 
    Diffidently run it's course it was good but it's not got the same appeal as say only fools & horse's 
  • Options
    The problem is that Ted Lasso is at its absolute best when the team are rubbish but the key players are developing as people not players. When they were getting relegated but Ted was getting Kent, Jamie, Nathan and Sam to be better people it was excellent. Now he's sort of fixed them and there aren't any interesting characters left to grow. There's the long game where something will happen with Nathan and there's Ted's mental health but Ted has never actually been very interesting as a focus character, you learn who he is through how he interacts with people. Rebecca isn't interesting now she's nice and Rupert hasn't ever been an interesting villain. It's still pretty good as TV shows go, it's just not at the level it was at its peak
  • Options
    I'm still enjoying the third season though I can see what they're building here. West Ham will buy Zava in January and Richmond will fall down the league. Ted's panic attacks are back in force and he'll go back to coach in the MLS at the end of the season. 
  • Options
    TS and Palace… why didn’t I put it together before?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Am still loving it and actually enjoying Series 3 even more.  Glad it's released weeky and not all at once.  Still think Roy Kent is modelled on Ryan Inniss.
  • Options
    Gave up watching it just don't enjoy it the same as I did the first two seasons 
  • Options
    Season 3 has been poor. Season 1 was good, season 2 not so much 
  • Options
    I’m now only still watching because there’s not long to go now. It’s inoffensive easy to watch tv, so there’s no harm, I guess.

I was a bit puzzled this week though - it felt like I’d missed an episode. Nathan’s story, in particular, felt like it had leapt forward a long way with no real explanation. A bit weird.
  • Options
    I’m now only still watching because there’s not long to go now. It’s inoffensive easy to watch tv, so there’s no harm, I guess.

I was a bit puzzled this week though - it felt like I’d missed an episode. Nathan’s story, in particular, felt like it had leapt forward a long way with no real explanation. A bit weird.
    With you on the missed episode, found myself checking back what the last episode was about to make sure.

It's the last season apparently so they must be cutting things to squeeze it all in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

There's a real pacing issue that the show does nothing to address. In order to fit a full Premier League season into 12 episodes they have to jump things forward really quickly but they've really struggled this season with getting across how that time has progressed. It didn't matter in earlier seasons when everything was just based around the training ground and the pub but now everyone is split all over the place and having big moments you've got people having an argument in January and then that argument is still fresh as if it's the next week like it is for the viewer but for the characters it's now March. Now they're rushing to the finish they're doing the opposite; they're assuming the viewer is aware that loads of time has passed and loads of growth and thinking has happened in characters despite telling you the opposite up to this point. This season feels like they've tried to get bigger while simultaneously ending the show before it gets too bloated and the effect is that it's in conflict with itself. It's a shame, they could have just had Keeley work in Richmond and cut a lot of unnecessary new stuff to give more time to Nate's arc but instead he was the villain for the space between series 2 and 3 and I guess we have to do the writing for that in our heads. It's odd.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I gave up 3 episodes into this series. The novelty wore off and it just come across corny and unfunny. Shame, as seasons 1-2 were great.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

There's a real pacing issue that the show does nothing to address. In order to fit a full Premier League season into 12 episodes they have to jump things forward really quickly but they've really struggled this season with getting across how that time has progressed. It didn't matter in earlier seasons when everything was just based around the training ground and the pub but now everyone is split all over the place and having big moments you've got people having an argument in January and then that argument is still fresh as if it's the next week like it is for the viewer but for the characters it's now March. Now they're rushing to the finish they're doing the opposite; they're assuming the viewer is aware that loads of time has passed and loads of growth and thinking has happened in characters despite telling you the opposite up to this point. This season feels like they've tried to get bigger while simultaneously ending the show before it gets too bloated and the effect is that it's in conflict with itself. It's a shame, they could have just had Keeley work in Richmond and cut a lot of unnecessary new stuff to give more time to Nate's arc but instead he was the villain for the space between series 2 and 3 and I guess we have to do the writing for that in our heads. It's odd.
    This season has been the worst for football fans - a friendly in the middle of the season vs Ajax? How does that work?!

this week’s episode has, admittedly been the best in the series so far imo. Thought the Keeley and Jack storyline was crowbarred in there just to buy some time whilst they could show Roy getting his head together. I get the point of “sexuality is fluid” etc but there hadn’t been anything imo to suggest she was bi beforehand. Glad Nathan’s now returned to normal, think the writers missed a trick by turning him into a villain and not kept the nice anxious bloke at the beginning.
  • Options

This season has been the worst for football fans - a friendly in the middle of the season vs Ajax? How does that work?!

this week’s episode has, admittedly been the best in the series so far imo. Thought the Keeley and Jack storyline was crowbarred in there just to buy some time whilst they could show Roy getting his head together. I get the point of “sexuality is fluid” etc but there hadn’t been anything imo to suggest she was bi beforehand. Glad Nathan’s now returned to normal, think the writers missed a trick by turning him into a villain and not kept the nice anxious bloke at the beginning.
    I feel like for this series they've recognised that their audience is primarily American and started catering to them more. In the first series there were a lot of jokes about Ted not understanding the jargon and Beard explaining it him but this series it's all reverted. Roy talking about rosters and practice and everyone, even Nate at West Ham being referred to as 'Coach'. The commentary is also a million miles away from what you'd hear in a football match even taking away the Chris Powell banter sections. I found the Total Football stuff excruciating as well, the players getting a lecture on a tactical idea from the 70s that has been modernised constantly in that time and acting like it was the first a lot of them had heard of it. Ted still doesn't know anything about football but instead of that being a plot point and the course of some jokes it's just ignored now. It's odd.
    On the plus side though, this series I got to hear actual Chris Powell talk about Timecop, essentially two of my favourite things combined, which I never thought would happen in my life.
  • Options
    I recently started it and binged up until this weeks episode, the first two series were brilliant and really worth a watch. It feels like the third season its hit its wall a bit, but i still enjoy it and will see it through. 

Highly recommend it to anyone with access to Apple TV or firestick. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Pretty sure I know where the ending’s headed, Nate taking over as Richmond manager after ted getting a job managing Kansas in the mls, or a women’s football team over there to be with his family (definitely think one of the coaching staff might get a job at woman’s football team for a potential spin off)

But yeah agreed re total football, as the modern equiv is how guardiola sets up his teams. I thought they’d continue to play pretty but ineffective and eventually get relegated is how I’d thought they’d end it in a kind of bittersweet fashion. But think the above is what will happen now
  • Options

I agree with all of that, which I think is why I’ve kind of checked out.
    However, the Nate thing this week specifically was quite jarring. (I was trying not to say too much in my earlier post to avoid giving spoilers - suffice to say, we saw a bit of tension in the previous episode, but it’s ludicrous to think it was enough to cause the outcome we were fed at the beginning of this episode.)
    It was a real wtf moment. And in an unsatisfactory way. (I don’t mind some of the other wtf moments, like Chris Powell’s weird comments, Tony Head’s attempt at a working class accent, the ridiculous football action - all of this is wtf but also kind of amusing.)

Anyway, I’m just waiting for it to end now.
    Nearly there! 😎
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Anyone watching Ted Lasso to see a programme about football is missing the point - IMO.  The football club is just a vehicle for a show that's all about life, people, doing the right thing and overcoming hardships, disagreements, ups and down's.  It has used the football scenario to make some valuable moral points and get some messages across.  It's very clever.

It’s pretty obvious that the football is not what the show is about as you say.
    I’d be very surprised if many people are tuning in to see a programme about football. It’s pretty obvious that it’s a character based show, so I don’t think people are really missing the point like you suggest.
    My point was that the storylines seem to be a bit incomplete, pointless and, well, just a bit crap really. Nothing to do with the football bit.

(For what it’s worth, in my view, the football action is pretty ridiculous, but then it was always going to be, so that’s not a problem. I really don’t mind it actually, as it’s so outlandish, it’s kind of amusing. Surely nobody seriously expected the football part of the show to be convincingly realistic?)
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Anyone watching Ted Lasso to see a programme about football is missing the point - IMO.  The football club is just a vehicle for a show that's all about life, people, doing the right thing and overcoming hardships, disagreements, ups and down's.  It has used the football scenario to make some valuable moral points and get some messages across.  It's very clever.

It’s pretty obvious that the football is not what the show is about as you say.
    I’d be very surprised if many people are tuning in to see a programme about football. It’s pretty obvious that it’s a character based show, so I don’t think people are really missing the point like you suggest.
    My point was that the storylines seem to be a bit incomplete, pointless and, well, just a bit crap really. Nothing to do with the football bit.

(For what it’s worth, in my view, the football action is pretty ridiculous, but then it was always going to be, so that’s not a problem. I really don’t mind it actually, as it’s so outlandish, it’s kind of amusing. Surely nobody seriously expected the football part of the show to be convincingly realistic?)
    Are you seriously suggesting a dog wouldn't get killed from a penalty?