Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A petition to ban racists from football.

Comments

• Options
    I’ve not been following things too closely so looking to be educated as it’s the number one topic on the news. Have their been any reports at all of racist abuse inside the stadiums at any UK hosted game this championship?

Social media is clearly the pinch point problem with this and all the headlines are on the post game racist abuse. Has anything been said of the extent of it? I know one lad from Manchester has been outed, but are we talking about a very small handful of posts that have generated a huge amount of noise, or has it been far more widespread than that (in the hundreds)? 
    Certainly read about anti-semetic abuse at Wembley from a bunch of blokes in their 50s. 

• Options
    So so sick of it, we should be celebrating our boys effort and instead the whole thing has been soured by far too many evil human beings. Their actions need severe consequences. That maths teacher as an example should be publicly named and should never teach again, scum. 
  • Options
    Having been going to Charlton matches since the 70s, I think other oldies will agree, it was very common to hear racist language (every game). I recall us playing Palace away and bananas were thrown on the pitch and many making monkey chants aimed I think at Ian Wright. The club made efforts to change this and I think they were successful. There may be a few isolated examples, but I honestly haven't seen any going back around 30 years. Of course racists may attend, but they don't feel comfortable making it known they are racists at the Valley.

England is a different matter as there are a group of people who have a very nationalistic motivation that will be attracted to the national team for symbolic purposes. I used to attend a decent number of England games but every game you could see somebody make a Nazi salute for the national anthem and I packed it in. Now you see a representation of ethnic minorities in the crowds and they are there in noticeable numbers which is great and suggests things have even changed with England. I think if you are looking for the problem and where people should be banned, it is England though. I am confident Charlton and, to be fair, most other clubs would deal with racism by banning individuals already.

I agree, it is a minority of supporters but it should make it even more important to weed them out and get rid of them as they are having a disproportionate impact.
  • Options
    Having been going to Charlton matches since the 70s, I think other oldies will agree, it was very common to hear racist language (every game). I recall us playing Palace away and bananas were thrown on the pitch and many making monkey chants aimed I think at Ian Wright. The club made efforts to change this and I think they were successful. There may be a few isolated examples, but I honestly haven't seen any going back around 30 years. Of course racists may attend, but they don't feel comfortable making it known they are racists at the Valley.

England is a different matter as there are a group of people who have a very nationalistic motivation that will be attracted to the national team for symbolic purposes. I used to attend a decent number of England games but every game you could see somebody make a Nazi salute for the national anthem and I packed it in. Now you see a representation of ethnic minorities in the crowds and they are there in noticeable numbers which is great and suggests things have even changed with England. I think if you are looking for the problem and where people should be banned, it is England though. I am confident Charlton and, to be fair, most other clubs would deal with racism by banning individuals already.

I agree, it is a minority of supporters but it should make it even more important to weed them out and get rid of them as they are having a disproportionate impact.
    Couldn't think of much worse than going to an England away game for this reason, just attracts the worst kind of people. They spoil it for everyone else
  • Options

Couldn't think of much worse than going to an England away game for this reason, just attracts the worst kind of people. They spoil it for everyone else
    They are the ones we should ban.
  • Options
    Signed.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    I’ve not been following things too closely so looking to be educated as it’s the number one topic on the news. Have their been any reports at all of racist abuse inside the stadiums at any UK hosted game this championship?

Social media is clearly the pinch point problem with this and all the headlines are on the post game racist abuse. Has anything been said of the extent of it? I know one lad from Manchester has been outed, but are we talking about a very small handful of posts that have generated a huge amount of noise, or has it been far more widespread than that (in the hundreds)? 
    Certainly read about anti-semetic abuse at Wembley from a bunch of blokes in their 50s. 

no doubt they were also singing "football's coming home" - 2/3rds of the songwriter/performers are jewish. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    cafc999 said:
    clb74 said:
    iainment said:
    clb74 said:
    Before I sign.
    Is this a petition to ban all racists or just the ones we want banned.
    Does this petition want players banned if they use racist language to another player?

Read the petition. Personally I’d ban both.
    When I see the football authorities and football clubs take racism seriously in the game , I will then sign that petition.
    Fair point but unless we take the lead then they will never take it seriously 
    I might be on my own with my views.
    We are now seeing in football fans banned for life /getting sacked from thier jobs for racist abuse.
    I want them same rules applied to a football player who racially abuses a fellow player, I would like to think that's what we all would like.
    Really in 2020 Football takes racism seriously.
    An 8 game ban for a player who racially abuses another player, surely that's unacceptable?

I totally agree with you
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are racist tweets more acceptable if your 18 the tweets are 10 years old and you play cricket for England and apologise?
  • Options
    I intend to boo if I see any players taking the knee at the Valley next season.

I believe that I am simply expressing my rights under the freedom of speech laws. But I am sure some other fans will call me a racist.

Therefore I will delay signing this petition until I see what the reaction is to my booing.

• Options
    clb74 said:
    Are racist tweets more acceptable if your 18 the tweets are 10 years old and you play cricket for England and apologise?
    Not more acceptable, but there needs to be a context. If you've changed then there shouldn't be a pile on about something you did when you were younger/stupider. I'm 100% behind banning idiots who can't have a few pints of lager and a mobile phone without being racist, but lifetime bans should be for people who aren't going to change. Surely what we want is for people to stop doing it? Not sure exactly how we make that happen, but that's got to be the aim.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I believe that I am simply expressing my rights under the freedom of speech laws. But I am sure some other fans will call me a racist.

Therefore I will delay signing this petition until I see what the reaction is to my booing.

Can’t believe what I’ve just read, considering what happened Sunday evening. Absolute joke of a post from you. Many of the English players have said that the disgusting racial abuse seen Sunday night shows why they continue to take the knee. But of course your freedom of speech in booing is more important than ensuring black players feel respected on the pitch. 
    Sadly I can believe it . This country is full of morons with these racist views . It’s a problem that won’t go away I’m afraid.
  • Options
    What's even more worrying is the private messaging posts that aren't in the public eye by these evil humans. 

I follow a few people on instagram that are abused daily via direct messaging and only choose to screen shot the odd few if they happen to read them (they must get thousands of Dm's positive and negative) the admin involved in reporting these disgusting people must be huge and a time burden that people shouldn't have to deal with.

There should be an automatic flag for abuse, that filters these messages from ever being received by the recipient and bans issued automatically to the sender. 

If they can tag some covid info into a instagram post automatically then they can filter other things as well and protect people. 

• Options

Care to explain why you will boo?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!