Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A petition to ban racists from football.

Comments

• Gawd people on here who used to pal around with the EDL getting moralistic is always something to behold
  • Rothko said:
    Gawd people on here who used to pal around with the EDL getting moralistic is always something to behold
    There will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.
  • Rothko said:
    Gawd people on here who used to pal around with the EDL getting moralistic is always something to behold
    Times change, things move on, people see the wrong if what they previously did and change who they are. Others stay in the dark ages.
  • edited July 2021

Racist abuse is completely unforgivable. But according to Channel 4 news there were167 racist tweets during the Euros out of 850,000 , hardly an epidemic.
    This is a classic moral panic.

A cynic might also  say that somebody's PR agency wanted to deflect a nation's attention away from its client being blamed for losing a game with a twattish penalty by shouting 'racism' which gets everybody's attention.

Thankfully I am not a cynic.
  • I always think of the bellends that support us and England when we lose and think that’s what them pricks deserve …
    ffs we must have more than I thought the last 15 years of shite we’ve been through 
  • I suppose if anyone boos the players for taking a knee then the club will at least be able to identify them and take action. It also seems like a completely embarrassing thing for an adult to do.
    If they are wearing a mask, would the club be able to identify if somebody in a crowd is booing or not ?
  • Sponsored links:

• So what should be the punishment for Dave if he decides to boo the taking of the knee?
  • clb74 said:
    So what should be the punishment for Dave if he decides to boo the taking of the knee?
    He has to get a season ticket and sit next to Golfie and me 

• Those people who seem to believe that believing that black lives matter can be a thing without meaning that the person saying it supports a Marxist organisation must be confused when their partners go in  to labour and they hear about my catholic tastes in music.
  • I suppose if anyone boos the players for taking a knee then the club will at least be able to identify them and take action. It also seems like a completely embarrassing thing for an adult to do.
    'Take action' - what would you like to happen to somebody that boo's? What would the 'taking action' be for? The booing or the fact the person booing is possibly racist. Good luck trying to prove that.
  • I hope those that choose to boo are able to do so without let or hindrance, as much as they want to. 

But only if the process of taking the knee, pre-match, is adjusted slightly, so that, in future, the players take the knee until there has been one, continuous minute of perfectly-observed silence, throughout the whole ground.  

So, if you just want to turn up and watch the football without worrying whether it's 'getting political', all you have to do is shut the fuck up.  
  • clb74 said:
    So what should be the punishment for Dave if he decides to boo the taking of the knee?
    I think and expect that at The Valley there would be quite a lot of peer pressure directed towards the booing person to stop. I’m guessing that in most cases that would be enough. It’s more difficult I guess for the club to do very much although personally I would support the club in saying that anyone booing players taking the knee would be removed from the ground and given a season long ban. I expect that’s a step too far though. It would be interesting if the players, as a group specifically asked for the fans support when taking the knee because that really does shift emphasis onto the twats considering booing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I would say that, if the reporting by the New Statement and Newsnight are correct and the overwhelming number of racist tweets received by the players came from overseas, then several things can be true at the same time:

1, Whether 5 or 25 people saying racist things in England then that is still 5 or 25 too many and those people are still morons who should be shunned.

2, I am sure that it makes it no less hurtful that the messages came from overseas, but I do hope it gives the players some comfort that, overwhelmingly, they are not actually living amongst those morons.

3, Some of the more extreme claims about the scale of just how racist Britain is, which we have seen since Sunday night, appear to be something of a moral panic.

4, The comments by Tyrone Mings and Phil Neville about Priti Patel, although no doubt well meant, seem increasingly inaccurate and ill-judged.
  • Chizz said:
    I hope those that choose to boo are able to do so without let or hindrance, as much as they want to. 

But only if the process of taking the knee, pre-match, is adjusted slightly, so that, in future, the players take the knee until there has been one, continuous minute of perfectly-observed silence, throughout the whole ground.  

So, if you just want to turn up and watch the football without worrying whether it's 'getting political', all you have to do is shut the fuck up.  
    the taking of the knee isn't done in silence though is it?
  • Looks like the shit might of hit the fan in football.
    BBC just said Portsmouth have put a statement out something to do with the u18s
  • edited July 2021
  • I would say that, if the reporting by the New Statement and Newsnight are correct and the overwhelming number of racist tweets received by the players came from overseas, then several things can be true at the same time:

1, Whether 5 or 25 people saying racist things in England then that is still 5 or 25 too many and those people are still morons who should be shunned.

2, I am sure that it makes it no less hurtful that the messages came from overseas, but I do hope it gives the players some comfort that, overwhelmingly, they are not actually living amongst those morons.

3, Some of the more extreme claims about the scale of just how racist Britain is, which we have seen since Sunday night, appear to be something of a moral panic.

4, The comments by Tyrone Mings and Phil Neville about Priti Patel, although no doubt well meant, seem increasingly inaccurate and ill-judged.
    I would say there are many more ways of being racist than booing a knee or sending tweets, and that the government have been stoking the fires for a long time.
  • "Portsmouth have launched an investigation amid allegations their academy players aimed racial abuse at England players after the Euro 2020 final."

Really? Care to expand on that?
  • Chizz said:
    I hope those that choose to boo are able to do so without let or hindrance, as much as they want to. 

the taking of the knee isn't done in silence though is it?
    No.  That's the point.  

Totally agree with your first point.  The other three are simply rubbish.  
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!