Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Saka

Comments

• Options
    Comes across so well too. That’s what makes this even worse :(
  • Options
    Like a lot of things in life it’s a state of mind when taking a penalty. Most players want the glory of scoring from the penalty kick but few like the thought of actually taking it. I remember Clive Mendonca saying that he loved taking them. It added to his goal tally. That was his mindset when stepping up. He’d scored in his mind before striking the ball. He didn’t have that fear. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Did he miss any? I don't recall him missing a pen. Yoni Buyens, you could celebrate the goal before he took it!
  • Options
    Poor kid should never have been put in that position, and I'd love to know Southall's logic, given the heartache he himself suffered for missing a vital pen.
    It's not as if he's scored loads of pens for Arsenal.
    I had zero confidence in him putting it away. He looked petrified and that keeper was an absolute giant.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I don’t blame any player for missing a penalty, they had the balls to step up and take one, but I massively blame their Manager who should know better for putting them in that position. 
    I feel like this is such a simplistic outlook. The players said they’ve practiced penalties every day since meeting up. If Saka is consistently tucking them away and clearly states he wants to take one, do you say no sorry son you’re too young? This is a boy that’s carried arsenal all season and gave seasoned internationals a torrid time over the last 4 weeks remember.
    I don’t blame any player for missing a penalty, they had the balls to step up and take one, but I massively blame their Manager who should know better for putting them in that position. 
    I feel like this is such a simplistic outlook. The players said they’ve practiced penalties every day since meeting up. If Saka is consistently tucking them away and clearly states he wants to take one, do you say no sorry son you’re too young? This is a boy that’s carried arsenal all season and gave seasoned internationals a torrid time over the last 4 weeks remember.
    Its a very simplistic outlook to assume because he can score in training with zero pressure, he can do it in a final in front of 60,000 people. 
    As I said, this is a kid that’s carried a major club all season and embarrassed seasoned pros in games. We get told all the time ‘he has no fear’. Great, let him take a pen.  

Pretty sure yesterday you wanted to ‘build the team around him’
    Bang on. Up until yesterday he was arguably our best attacking threat. Add to that the fact that he was in all likelihood the best taker in practice outside of Kane (otherwise why give him the fifth pen?)

Practice is different to the pressures of a final for everyone, whether you're 19 or 39.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    You can say one thing about Grealish and that is he has the personality to take a penalty in those circumstances. It was a little bizarre seeing Southgate apologising to him for going with Saka if that interpretation is correct. What Grealish tweeted later suggests it was.

But hey ho. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saka is unbelievable. Gonna be a force. 

I think its obvious that southgate has taken the blame for the pens but really those players picked themselves (again no blame). Rash probably put that pen away 10/10 times in practice as did saka and sancho and jorginho .Just one of those things. 
  • Options
    Taking a pen in training is nothing like taking a pen at Wembley to win the Euros. No comparison. Saka has had a decent Euros but I wouldn’t say he’s given anyone a ‘torrid’ time.
  • Options
    Taking a pen in training is nothing like taking a pen at Wembley to win the Euros. No comparison. Saka has had a decent Euros but I wouldn’t say he’s given anyone a ‘torrid’ time.
    Indeed other than the 2nd half vs Ukraine, England haven't given anyone a torrid time! Our success has been based on all round effectiveness, and a tight defence
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    MrOneLung said:
    It is generally the nature of things that when a footballer (and a multi-millionaire one at that!) misses a penalty in a huge match of national importance, he gets stick for it...Messrs Waddle, Pearce, Southgate et al can certainly vouch for that.

The rather modern idea that we cannot possibly direct any stick at a player because he is a) too young b) black c) had a great tournament ... seems a bit potty to me. 

There is certainly a good argument that Sir Gareth ballsed up in subbing Henderson and Trippier and Walker (seasoned pros all having vast experience in the highest pressure games and consummate penalty takers) and bringing on Rashford and Sancho with 20 seconds of extra time to play and then expecting effectively a sixth former to score the decisive penalty in the biggest game this country has played in 55 years!! but it still doesn't get away from the fact that giving stick to a millionaire footballer for missing a penalty is not such a bad thing. Let us not forget how Pearce responded to HIS stick. He responded with impeccable professionalism by scoring in the next penalty shootout and his punch in the air was that defiant punch in the air we all do when we work really hard to redeem ourselves, right a wrong, and persevere to the next level. 

I fear that if we outlaw giving millionaire footballers stick (after all, we don't outlaw stick given to the lads down the local park!) then we rob them of their greatest victory - the victory of self improvement of fighting to get things right and for self mastery. 

Give them all some stick. It is just what they need if we are going to get to the next level in Qatar in November 2022 

My rather modern view is that you Sir, are a prick

You can give someone stick for being shit
    You can give someone stick even if they are young

You cannot give someone stick for being black
    As bad as the post is, and I completely disagree with everything said, I think he is (incorrectly) trying to say that you can't criticise someone who is black, rather than because he is black. 

It is generally the nature of things that when a footballer (and a multi-millionaire one at that!) misses a penalty in a huge match of national importance, he gets stick for it...Messrs Waddle, Pearce, Southgate et al can certainly vouch for that.

The rather modern idea that we cannot possibly direct any stick at a player because he is a) too young b) black c) had a great tournament ... seems a bit potty to me. 

There is certainly a good argument that Sir Gareth ballsed up in subbing Henderson and Trippier and Walker (seasoned pros all having vast experience in the highest pressure games and consummate penalty takers) and bringing on Rashford and Sancho with 20 seconds of extra time to play and then expecting effectively a sixth former to score the decisive penalty in the biggest game this country has played in 55 years!! but it still doesn't get away from the fact that giving stick to a millionaire footballer for missing a penalty is not such a bad thing. Let us not forget how Pearce responded to HIS stick. He responded with impeccable professionalism by scoring in the next penalty shootout and his punch in the air was that defiant punch in the air we all do when we work really hard to redeem ourselves, right a wrong, and persevere to the next level. 

I fear that if we outlaw giving millionaire footballers stick (after all, we don't outlaw stick given to the lads down the local park!) then we rob them of their greatest victory - the victory of self improvement of fighting to get things right and for self mastery. 

Give them all some stick. It is just what they need if we are going to get to the next level in Qatar in November 2022 
    Read this back a few times & I still can't believe what I'm reading. 

Fucking hell!!

Huskaris said:
    MrOneLung said:

As bad as the post is, and I completely disagree with everything said, I think he is (incorrectly) trying to say that you can't criticise someone who is black, rather than because he is black. 
    I would recommend you either reread the original post once again or read Huskaris' point in this thread. Nowhere at all am I saying or even hoping to convey the idea that Saka should be given stick for being black. That's absurd. As Huskaris points out I am simply suggesting that by being black he shouldn't forego the stick that any player endures. And beyond this I am also pointing towards his development as a player and as a man and hoping that by Nov 2022 in Qatar he and all this brilliant team will go one step further again. Maturer and better. Southgate included. And  hopefully SCP will be there also! 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    MrOneLung said:

Read this back a few times & I still can't believe what I'm reading. 

Fucking hell!!

Huskaris said:
    MrOneLung said:

I would recommend you either reread the original post once again or read Huskaris' point in this thread. Nowhere at all am I saying or even hoping to convey the idea that Saka should be given stick for being black. That's absurd. As Huskaris points out I am simply suggesting that by being black he shouldn't forego the stick that any player endures. And beyond this I am also pointing towards his development as a player and as a man and hoping that by Nov 2022 in Qatar he and all this brilliant team will go one step further again. Maturer and better. Southgate included. And  hopefully SCP will be there also! 
    Oh do fuck off
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I would imagine all players that miss a key penalty a) feel terrible about it and b) didn't intend to miss. It is wrong to give any player stick over it until they cash in on it by doing a tv commercial. The racist element goes beyond that wrongness and is as low as it is possible to go.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:
    Oliver Dowden. "It's the social media companies' fault that racists get to say racist things". 

Enjoy your next Cabinet meeting, Ollie. And don't forget to ask the Prime Minister if he still defends the fans' right to boo taking the knee. 
    What do you think the solution is with social media companies? What protest or action would be effective?

We need to find a solution within society, social media just reflect the worst of that. They are not the cause. 
    I think Social Media allows people to indoctrinate others with their hate speech, such as racism. Therefore they tighten up their bit, the voice of racism is quietened and indoctrination via social media slows until it stops. 

You will never stop racism, but you can make it clear that it is evil behaviour and widely condemn those condoning it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poor kid should never have been put in that position, and I'd love to know Southall's logic, given the heartache he himself suffered for missing a vital pen.
    It's not as if he's scored loads of pens for Arsenal.
    I had zero confidence in him putting it away. He looked petrified and that keeper was an absolute giant.
    Bloody hell Queenie, I just threw up in my mouth. 🤮
  • Options
    edited July 2021
  • Options
    I have no IT knowledge but I do know that more could be done. I also know when these vile individuals should be tracked down and the penalties should be draconian. 
    How can you possibly track down and prove the guilt of someone who posts something from an account where the nearest thing you have to contact details for them is a username like JayBob8779?
    There will be a name and address linked to the account
    Only an email address. And that can be a burner address. 
  • Options
    Its a very simplistic outlook to assume because he can score in training with zero pressure, he can do it in a final in front of 60,000 people. 
    But experienced players can miss them too (see Italy). If your experienced players aren’t very good at taking penalties and don’t fancy taking one, you’re more likely to allow a talented 19 year old to have a pop aren’t you? 
    In the 2018 World Cup we won two penalty shoot outs, and from memory the players were smashing them into the top corners, or hitting them down the middle. Shame more didn’t try that approach this time maybe.

• Options
    Toxic masculinity is probably a rather empty form of life and it mostly just sounds like an embarrassing trait.

Toxic is the key word though. 

The owner of Twitter and or the major shareholder/spokesperson needs to open up to the public.

They have some explaining to do.

I don't trust the people who work for Twitter and wouldn't be surprised if they were up to no good... but they are very sneaky at hiding it. The lust for power. A few bribes.

The people responsible need to be exposed. 

Social media is beyond dangerous. The negative comments are the ones that stay with people. 

90% love 10% hate

The hate will stick and stay in people's memory.

Fake accounts need to stop. I don't have Twitter and I don't miss it at all. I think it's awful.

I would only be interested in seeing tweets from sanguard.

• Options
    Still dunno of Southgate was telling the truth last night or whether he remembered the attention he got after '96 and wanted to shield his players for doing that. 

If so its certainly worked as so far seen both the Daily Mail and BBC on twitter reporting about how Southgate picked the takers and nothing about those who missed. 
    Telling the truth about what?
    Downplaying or failing to remember how much stick he got.