Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Saka

Comments

• Options
    You can't blame the 5 lads who stood up and we're brave enough to take them, huge pressure.  Anyone who does is an idiot who should simply be ignored.

60,000 supporters in the ground. 55million English people watching at home.

That walk to the penalty spot. The pressure is likely to be beyond belief.

Saka, Sancho and Rashford probably put every single pen in the back of the net during training. Most likely make it look easy. 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Possibly the breakout player of the tournament. 

Other than today had a fantastic tournament and made himself undroppable in a squad with Sancho, Grealish and Foden behind him. 

Doesn't matter for some though, go on his social media now and there's a torrent of racial abuse for him to go home to. 

Hope he deletes the app for the next month and his friends/family are around him giving him support. 

Just disgusting and absolutely vile.

The racism is pathetic and a national embarrassment.
    Honestly can't understand what makes people tick at times. I was as angry as anyone last night, with what were 3 pretty poor pens but how some can go on-line and post crap like this is beyond me.
  • Options
    In truth, he seemed to struggle a bit in the time that he was on, but the pressure and general situation of the game was horrendous and he certainly was not the only one. It must take tremendous courage to even step up to take it, so kudos to him although I would have preferred the more experienced players to take them. I will say, despite everything, if you look at his Twitter timeline it is full of page after page of supportive messages, which is just the way it should be.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    It is generally the nature of things that when a footballer (and a multi-millionaire one at that!) misses a penalty in a huge match of national importance, he gets stick for it...Messrs Waddle, Pearce, Southgate et al can certainly vouch for that.

The rather modern idea that we cannot possibly direct any stick at a player because he is a) too young b) black c) had a great tournament ... seems a bit potty to me. 

There is certainly a good argument that Sir Gareth ballsed up in subbing Henderson and Trippier and Walker (seasoned pros all having vast experience in the highest pressure games and consummate penalty takers) and bringing on Rashford and Sancho with 20 seconds of extra time to play and then expecting effectively a sixth former to score the decisive penalty in the biggest game this country has played in 55 years!! but it still doesn't get away from the fact that giving stick to a millionaire footballer for missing a penalty is not such a bad thing. Let us not forget how Pearce responded to HIS stick. He responded with impeccable professionalism by scoring in the next penalty shootout and his punch in the air was that defiant punch in the air we all do when we work really hard to redeem ourselves, right a wrong, and persevere to the next level. 

I fear that if we outlaw giving millionaire footballers stick (after all, we don't outlaw stick given to the lads down the local park!) then we rob them of their greatest victory - the victory of self improvement of fighting to get things right and for self mastery. 

Give them all some stick. It is just what they need if we are going to get to the next level in Qatar in November 2022 
    You're an idiot. 

And I mean that in the spirit that you'll go away for a while, work really hard to redeem yourself and come back and right this particular wrong and persevere to the next level. 

Thanks for saving me the trouble @Chizz, and using milder terms than I would have.

'stick'. FFS.

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    You can't blame the 5 lads who stood up and we're brave enough to take them, huge pressure.  Anyone who does is an idiot who should simply be ignored.

60,000 supporters in the ground. 55million English people watching at home.

That walk to the penalty spot. The pressure is likely to be beyond belief.

Saka, Sancho and Rashford probably put every single pen in the back of the net during training. Most likely make it look easy. 
    agree with that, and fair play to those that stepped forward - the only thing I would say is that Rashford put the other 2 under pressure with his stupid stuttering run up before virtually standing still before hitting it. Run up, pick your spot and go for it - I would hope that if he'd done his stupid run up in training someone would've pulled him up on it. Yes it looks great when it goes in, but at least make the keeper save it.

Power all day long.
  • Options
    Oliver Dowden. "It's the social media companies' fault that racists get to say racist things". 

Enjoy your next Cabinet meeting, Ollie. And don't forget to ask the Prime Minister if he still defends the fans' right to boo taking the knee. 
  • Options
    So sad that there are cowardly moronic individuals that think it is acceptable to abuse players who have given everything for their country.

The pressure on a 19 year old must have been immense, he has nothing to be ashamed about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Oliver Dowden. "It's the social media companies' fault that racists get to say racist things". 

Enjoy your next Cabinet meeting, Ollie. And don't forget to ask the Prime Minister if he still defends the fans' right to boo taking the knee. 
    What do you think the solution is with social media companies? What protest or action would be effective?

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    It is generally the nature of things that when a footballer (and a multi-millionaire one at that!) misses a penalty in a huge match of national importance, he gets stick for it...Messrs Waddle, Pearce, Southgate et al can certainly vouch for that.

The rather modern idea that we cannot possibly direct any stick at a player because he is a) too young b) black c) had a great tournament ... seems a bit potty to me. 

There is certainly a good argument that Sir Gareth ballsed up in subbing Henderson and Trippier and Walker (seasoned pros all having vast experience in the highest pressure games and consummate penalty takers) and bringing on Rashford and Sancho with 20 seconds of extra time to play and then expecting effectively a sixth former to score the decisive penalty in the biggest game this country has played in 55 years!! but it still doesn't get away from the fact that giving stick to a millionaire footballer for missing a penalty is not such a bad thing. Let us not forget how Pearce responded to HIS stick. He responded with impeccable professionalism by scoring in the next penalty shootout and his punch in the air was that defiant punch in the air we all do when we work really hard to redeem ourselves, right a wrong, and persevere to the next level. 

I fear that if we outlaw giving millionaire footballers stick (after all, we don't outlaw stick given to the lads down the local park!) then we rob them of their greatest victory - the victory of self improvement of fighting to get things right and for self mastery. 

Give them all some stick. It is just what they need if we are going to get to the next level in Qatar in November 2022 

My rather modern view is that you Sir, are a prick

You can give someone stick for being shit
    You can give someone stick even if they are young

You cannot give someone stick for being black
    👏🏻 Good response. You even insulted the guy in a polite way.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

What do you think the solution is with social media companies? What protest or action would be effective?

We need to find a solution within society, social media just reflect the worst of that. They are not the cause. 
  • Options
    Saka has gone up in my estimation after having the bollocks to take that penalty.  Great player and seems like a nice kid!  The country need to show him our support now, Rashford & Sancho too! 
    As for any racial abuse well unfortunately it’s so predictable with the meatheads out there.  Same old story until the platforms get real & prosecute! 
    Social media platforms are all about money and don't give a stuff about racism. There either needs to be government action or effective protests.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    MrOneLung said:

My rather modern view is that you Sir, are a prick

You can give someone stick for being shit
    You can give someone stick even if they are young

You cannot give someone stick for being black
    As bad as the post is, and I completely disagree with everything said, I think he is (incorrectly) trying to say that you can't criticise someone who is black, rather than because he is black. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:

We need to find a solution within society, social media just reflect the worst of that. They are not the cause. 
    It’s not the social media companies fault, but they give a platform to the dickheads. Put up something that incorporates copyrighted material and it’ll be removed almost instantly, so they can police the content posted on their sites.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Read this back a few times & I still can't believe what I'm reading. 

Fucking hell!!
  • Options
    If this thread goes in a bad direction. Starting to appear that way.

I will appreciate it if it just gets closed. 

Hopefully maybe re-open it again 3/4 months next season. Saka scores a belter and or good things happen with him in Englands qualifiers.

My mistake.

Please, and thanks
  • Options

have a day off pal.

• Options
    Saka was brilliant for me in this tournament.

Would love to see Charlton play against him just so I can give him a standing ovation. 

the guy is 19 and will be a massive player.

• Options
    se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:

It’s not the social media companies fault, but they give a platform to the dickheads. Put up something that incorporates copyrighted material and it’ll be removed almost instantly, so they can police the content posted on their sites.
    It is their fault - they host it and choose not to remove it. They only care about money and aren't bothered about racism. 
  • Options
    I don't understand why footballers are on social media, as they know that if there's a bad result they will get slaughtered, whether racially or otherwise, as sadly those people are out there and probably always have been, but they now have an anonymous forum to peddle their hatred.

Partially they are on social media to keep in touch with their true fans, but also in the modern world success is also measured by your number of followers, something which makes you more marketable to advertisers. Given the choice, I'd sacrifice some of this commercial income, and stay off.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:

It is their fault - they host it and choose not to remove it. They only care about money and aren't bothered about racism. 
    They are culpable of providing a largely uncensored platform for hate speech - they are not responsible for racism,
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Saka has gone up in my estimation after having the bollocks to take that penalty.  Great player and seems like a nice kid!  The country need to show him our support now, Rashford & Sancho too! 
    As for any racial abuse well unfortunately it’s so predictable with the meatheads out there.  Same old story until the platforms get real & prosecute! 
    Social media platforms are all about money and don't give a stuff about racism. There either needs to be government action or effective protests.
    I think social media is one of the few human advances that have set mankind back, on balance, it does a lot more harm than good in my opinion, and I'm not just talking about things like this. Mental health, unrealistic expectations and pressures on young people etc...
    Agreed.

although I’ve just seen a video of two English scum bags inside Wembley hitting random people as they are trying to leave the stadium. Including getting one guy on the floor and kicking him, more scum bags joined in for this. They guy on the floor had a Mediterranean complexion, it’s frustrating that we can be proud of our once but have to share our island with these scum. I hope the police are spending time on social media today in an attempt to catch these people
  • Options
    I don't understand why footballers are on social media, as they know that if there's a bad result they will get slaughtered, whether racially or otherwise, as sadly those people are out there and probably always have been, but they now have an anonymous forum to peddle their hatred.

Partially they are on social media to keep in touch with their true fans, but also in the modern world success is also measured by your number of followers, something which makes you more marketable to advertisers. Given the choice, I'd sacrifice some of this commercial income, and stay off.
    Money comes first as usual.
  • Options

Probably because they feel they shouldn't be kept from using a service they want to use by abusive arseholes. It's up to the social media companies to be held accountable for the content they allow on their sites, not for Twitter to become a haven for racists because they've bullied all the people they don't like out of it. I know that's an ideal world where SM companies actually give a damn, but I don't think I'd want to be chased off something I want to use by dickheads