Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bird, as in avian, recognition.

1235»

Comments

• Leuth said:
    This is where everyone says 'ooh ooh ptarmigan!' but it's actually a white-phase Willow Grouse EDIT no it IS a (rock) ptarmigan, viz. the following extract:  the male willow ptarmigan lacks the rock ptarmigan's black stripe between the eyes and bill.
    Very good

I currently have Gold Finches in my garden - lovely little things - re-filled our feeders this morning, and they were watching me and twittering away - I imagined them saying to each ‘about bloody time, you lazy git, should have done that yesterday’ !!
    Goldfinches can flock to over 100 in NZ. Quite the sight.
    Collective term is a charm
  • lolwray said:
    Leuth said:
    This is where everyone says 'ooh ooh ptarmigan!' but it's actually a white-phase Willow Grouse EDIT no it IS a (rock) ptarmigan, viz. the following extract:  the male willow ptarmigan lacks the rock ptarmigan's black stripe between the eyes and bill.
    Very good

I currently have Gold Finches in my garden - lovely little things - re-filled our feeders this morning, and they were watching me and twittering away - I imagined them saying to each ‘about bloody time, you lazy git, should have done that yesterday’ !!
    Oh and on an unrelated matter what is the collective noun for know-it-alls? 😉
  • lolwray said:
    Leuth said:
    Very good

interested to know how far south do people see parakeets? Couldnt move for them in south east London but never seen a single one down here in deepest darkest Sussex.
    We are very lucky not to have them down here the diversity of birdlife in this area is fantastic..on a day to day basis I can see 
    Gold Crest (one of my favourites as they 
    Woodpeckers ( both species)
    Nuthatch 
    Sparrows 
    Blackbirds
    Robin
    Blue/coal/long tailed tits 
    Pheasant (born in the wild) 
    Jay (and the more boring corvids) 
    Buzzard

Often see gold and green finch 

Have also seen 
    Mistle thrush 
    Woodcock (at night) 
    An odd red kite
  • lolwray said:
    Leuth said:
    Very good

😊lolwrays maybe ? but I am sure you ll know the collective term for sarcastic feckers from NZ
  • lolwray said:
    Leuth said:
    Very good

An encyclopaedia?
    Or, to be more up-to-date, a Wikipedia?

Oh...
  • Interesting little black and white (almost pied) bird down here in the school fields flies around 18" off the ground, I used to find it worrying that Bowyer in particular would chase them but they wouldn't fly off. They keep returning almost dive bombing him but keeping far enough away not to get caught, a relief teacher told me that were feeding off the insects Bow was kicking up from the grass and he was actually feeding them and not chasing them.
    Ive no idea what they are called, but Im sure the Twitchers on here would know. ;)
  • T_C_E said:
    Interesting little black and white (almost pied) bird down here in the school fields flies around 18" off the ground, I used to find it worrying that Bowyer in particular would chase them but they wouldn't fly off. They keep returning almost dive bombing him but keeping far enough away not to get caught, a relief teacher told me that were feeding off the insects Bow was kicking up from the grass and he was actually feeding them and not chasing them.
    Ive no idea what they are called, but Im sure the Twitchers on here would know. ;)
    Not sure where you live but could be a pied flycatcher 

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/pied-flycatcher/
  • Wilma said:
    T_C_E said:
    Interesting little black and white (almost pied) bird down here in the school fields flies around 18" off the ground, I used to find it worrying that Bowyer in particular would chase them but they wouldn't fly off. They keep returning almost dive bombing him but keeping far enough away not to get caught, a relief teacher told me that were feeding off the insects Bow was kicking up from the grass and he was actually feeding them and not chasing them.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/pied-flycatcher/
    Minster on sea, Sheppey.
    The Pied wagtail looks similar Ive got on video somewhere I'll try and nick a photo from it. 

• T_C_E said:
    Wilma said:
    T_C_E said:

Minster on sea, Sheppey.
    The Pied wagtail looks similar Ive got on video somewhere I'll try and nick a photo from it. 

Pied wagtails are frequently seen in supermarket carparks, they do not seem at all bothered by humans! 
  • lolwray said:
    Leuth said:
    Very good

A Karen. 
  • Sponsored links:

• T_C_E said:
    Wilma said:
    T_C_E said:

Minster on sea, Sheppey.

Sounds like a pied wagtail. If it lands at all, and wags its tail, that's your bird. 
  • edited October 2021
    Here's an interesting bird from NZ. The wrybill. It's endemic to NZ and it's bill is completely unique globally. It fossicks under stones for little beasties.

Wrybillngutu pare Birds

Edit: More info: https://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/native-animals/birds/birds-a-z/wrybill/ 
  • On the subject of asymmetry in nature. It is pretty rare i think because of balance issues generally being selected against evolutionarily. I can think of sole and flounder (to risk exciting some fish puns). Can anyone else think of some asymmetrical animals (excluding abnormalities).... what an interesting thread this is.  

Flounders39 Eyes Face Skyward How Do They See the Ocean Floor
  • edited October 2021
    There's the fidler crab - one of its front claws is much larger than the other

Atlantic marsh fiddler crab Uca pugnax

and snails and shellfish like welks which have a spiral shell have either a left-handed or a right-handed spiral, which because it is a spiral cannot be symetrical!

• This was seen in a local park to me

• edited October 2021
    N01R4M said:
    There's the fidler crab - one of its front claws is much larger than the other

Atlantic marsh fiddler crab Uca pugnax

and snails and shellfish like welks which have a spiral shell have either a left-handed or a right-handed spiral, which because it is a spiral cannot be symetrical!

Interestingly all the examples apart from the Wrybill are underwater - where managing gravity is less of an issue. Can anyone think of another above water example.
  • okay forget it i found a list which speaks to my theory about water v land animals. The asymmetry noted in other land animals is generally much more subtle and less likely to affect balance... an extra tooth here (Honey Badger) a pair of non aligned ears there (owls).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_featuring_external_asymmetry

And the list is really very short so, yeah. Interesting.

Maybe something like an ibis?

Glossy Ibis?
  • I have been following the wonderful work being done to save the critically endangered NZ bird the Kakapo. I saw a tv programme about it and found them to be fascinating birds.

https://www.doc.govt.nz/kakapo
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:
    This was seen in a local park to me

Glossy Ibis?
    Wikipedia suggests Britain is now in its distribution- exciting. Apparently a rare visitor to NZ shores as well super exciting. Wikipedia said a pair hung out with some spoonbills ! 
  • I saw an American ibis in Sevenoaks nature reserve a few years ago, that was pretty wild
  • Leuth said:
    I saw an American ibis in Sevenoaks nature reserve a few years ago, that was pretty wild
    Starring Jenny Agutter as the love interest, obviously 
  • So I caught up with some spoonbills today. Also there’s the wrong end of a Pied Stilt if you look closely 

Pied Stilt

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pied_stilt