Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bird, as in avian, recognition.

Comments

• Options
    Well yeah a Corn Bunting then
  • Options
    I’ve never seen one sadly. 
  • Options
    Keep guessing…..
  • Options
    Lapland Bunting. Final gues
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Fete bunting 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    You're playing with the big boys now Mr One Lung 
    Wing Commander Leuth is nearest so far..
    It’s a Big Boy?
  • Options
    Corn Bunting
  • Options
    Lapland Bunting?
  • Options
    Is it a femaleyellowhammer?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    FUCK me I could only name about 20 different bird species this morning. 
    Looks like there's hundreds of the little buggers 
  • Options
    It’s actually a female Cirl Bunting. The yellow underbelly is not easily recognisable in females. The pic could also be of a juvenile.

Kudos goes to Wing Commander Leuth though for identifying as one of the Buntings.

Cirl Buntings are in sharp decline and only a few pairs in The UK, which is its most northerly location. It can be seen in a few places in Devon/Cornwall.
  • Options
    Come on then. Thoughts?

• Options
    Ciro Immobile? 
  • Options
    Black-Throated Ciro Immobile, to be more precise 
  • Options
    Looks a bit like a Loon
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I photographed it in Scotland and thought it probably was a BTD, but wasn’t 100%. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    It’s actually a female Cirl Bunting. The yellow underbelly is not easily recognisable in females. The pic could also be of a juvenile.

Kudos goes to Wing Commander Leuth though for identifying as one of the Buntings.

Cirl Buntings are in sharp decline and only a few pairs in The UK, which is its most northerly location. It can be seen in a few places in Devon/Cornwall.

fck me I was going to say cirl bunting … I actually was. And before any other Mention of any other bunting. But when other buntings were dismissed I didn’t bother. Someone give me a like. I knew.
  • Options
    3 pages in, and I'm impressed no-one's mentioned jizz yet...
    (that's about the limit of my birdwatching knowledge, and even that comes from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H92EPyxDBk
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One from yesterday. I think some will get it pretty easily, but I hope it's a reasonable test at an intermediate level.  

• Options
    Black-Tailed Godwit imo...
  • Options
    Stig said:
    One from yesterday. I think some will get it pretty easily, but I hope it's a reasonable test at an intermediate level.  

Some sort of godwit. We have eastern bar tailed godwits visit our shores from Siberia (!!!!) every year . They fly non stop and lose a third of their body weight or some such . Longest migration on the planet . Any further and they are practically on the way back. Incredible little fckrs. Love em . They do go back at the end of summer.
  • Options

What’s this ?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    This is where everyone says 'ooh ooh ptarmigan!' but it's actually a white-phase Willow Grouse EDIT no it IS a (rock) ptarmigan, viz. the following extract:  the male willow ptarmigan lacks the rock ptarmigan's black stripe between the eyes and bill.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    This is where everyone says 'ooh ooh ptarmigan!' but it's actually a white-phase Willow Grouse EDIT no it IS a (rock) ptarmigan, viz. the following extract:  the male willow ptarmigan lacks the rock ptarmigan's black stripe between the eyes and bill.
    Very good

I currently have Gold Finches in my garden - lovely little things - re-filled our feeders this morning, and they were watching me and twittering away - I imagined them saying to each ‘about bloody time, you lazy git, should have done that yesterday’ !!
  • Options
    A lovely bubbling call they have too. Rightly known as a collective charm. The past 20 years have seen them go from an occasional sighting to ubiquitous in suburban London
  • Options

Should be an easy one for you experts ?
  • Options
    Dartford Warbler?
  • Options
    Dartford warbler. Not that you're likely to see one near Dartford. Heathland bird under a lot of pressure from habitat loss.