Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bird, as in avian, recognition.

Comments

• Options
    rananegra said:
    Dartford warbler. Not that you're likely to see one near Dartford. Heathland bird under a lot of pressure from habitat loss.

Dartford Heath is still untouched heathland, but yes a rarity in these parts
  • Options
    Got bitten by a dog whilst trying to find these early one morning in Suffolk. Didn’t find any but went back and saw them another time. They were almost extinct in the UK in the 60s and developed a bit of a mythical status as a result. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    This is where everyone says 'ooh ooh ptarmigan!' but it's actually a white-phase Willow Grouse EDIT no it IS a (rock) ptarmigan, viz. the following extract:  the male willow ptarmigan lacks the rock ptarmigan's black stripe between the eyes and bill.
    Better than going “Do, do, do the funky chicken”. 
  • Options
    Yep, Dartford Warbler. Great birds. Good chance of seeing them in the New Forest on heathland. In spring, most commonly seen perched on top of gorse. If you go looking for them, you may also see Stonechats.. another great bird.
    Re Goldfinches, I always wanted to see them in my garden. Never did.... bought nijer seed, the works, but no joy. Then I started using sunflower hearts and in they came. Definately a favourite food of many garden visitors.

Sadly, the same cannot be said of Greenfinches. Used to see loads in DA1 but not seen in my garden for a good 4 years or so. Numbers in decline nationally due to a virus, often spread by dirty feeders, so we all need to keep 'em clean. Chaffinch also reducing in numbers in my garden. 

• Options
    I've started seeing Greenfinches at my parents' house in Lee again this year, and elsewhere. Think they're on the way back
  • Options
    I think the birds had a good lockdown. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    This is where everyone says 'ooh ooh ptarmigan!' but it's actually a white-phase Willow Grouse EDIT no it IS a (rock) ptarmigan, viz. the following extract:  the male willow ptarmigan lacks the rock ptarmigan's black stripe between the eyes and bill.
    Very good

I currently have Gold Finches in my garden - lovely little things - re-filled our feeders this morning, and they were watching me and twittering away - I imagined them saying to each ‘about bloody time, you lazy git, should have done that yesterday’ !!
    Goldfinches can flock to over 100 in NZ. Quite the sight.
  • Options
    interested to know how far south do people see parakeets? Couldnt move for them in south east London but never seen a single one down here in deepest darkest Sussex.
  • Options
    Here's a map of Rose-ringed Parakeet sightings I just ripped from the brilliant iNaturalist website:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Very good

I currently have Gold Finches in my garden - lovely little things - re-filled our feeders this morning, and they were watching me and twittering away - I imagined them saying to each ‘about bloody time, you lazy git, should have done that yesterday’ !!
    Goldfinches can flock to over 100 in NZ. Quite the sight.
    you’ll have to take my word for it but there are are about 20 goldfinches in and just out of frame … plus a few starlings which the French call the rather lovely Etourneau Sansonnet  

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    You say that, but it was once known as the Furze Wren and that can still be spotted in Bexleyheath.

• Options

What about this one? Was well chuffed to see this today (oops, yesterday now).
  • Options
    Stig said:

Beautiful. It’s got the body profile of a spoonbill but no spoonbill bill
  • Options
    Stig said:

Where was it? I saw spoonbills earlier this year at Rainham Marshes which was a highlight for me.
  • Options
    You're right guys it's a spoonbill. Here's a better angle of it (and better lighting):

I saw it yesterday at Wallasea Island. When I say 'at' I mean it just flew over. Interestingly is seemed to be being followed by two little egrets. Couldn't get a good shot of them all together though. 
  • Options
    We get them in low numbers around our coastline. Love watching them sifting for dinner. 
  • Options
    I live in Chatham and every now and again someone will get really excited that they have seen someone's escaped parrots in a fruit tree and its parakeets. Ive never seen any down here personally and used to work in South London where they thrive so am very familiar with them. 

We had a noisy garden this morning with Jays, Magpies, Doves, Wood Pigeons, a few crows or corvids, Chatham pigeons, a flock of insane starlings, a couple of blue tits and a Robin. The sparrows usually visit in the afternoon
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I live in Chatham and every now and again someone will get really excited that they have seen someone's escaped parrots in a fruit tree and its parakeets. Ive never seen any down here personally and used to work in South London where they thrive so am very familiar with them. 

We had a noisy garden this morning with Jays, Magpies, Doves, Wood Pigeons, a few crows or corvids, Chatham pigeons, a flock of insane starlings, a couple of blue tits and a Robin. The sparrows usually visit in the afternoon
    Can you get a vaccine for corvids? 

• Options
    Carter said:

Can you get a vaccine for corvids? 

Flyzer is effective I’m hearing …
  • Options
    We get them in low numbers around our coastline. Love watching them sifting for dinner. 
    What other birds do you get in NZ, @KiwiValley ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Gribbo Are sheep a sort of bird? 

Wekas are good fun. They’re about the size of a chicken, can’t fly and like to steal thing from people like magpies. One minute you’re having a sandwich enjoying the view . Next minute you’re running through the undergrowth after a weka that’s swiped your Swiss Army knife. Keas are also cool. They’re  alpine parrots that are devilish clever and like to rip the rubber of the windows of skiers’ cars. Birds are pretty much the only native animal we have. We have one native mammal only ( excluding seals) take a guess …

• Options
    What really amazes me these days is the amount of change I have witnessed over my own lifetime.
    I grew up in Woolwich and Abbey Wood and when we moved lock, stock and barrel to Dorset in 1987 I had never seen a Buzzard in my 33 years.
    The bird books showed no resident Buzzards east of Dorset.
    Now they are common and present in every county in the UK.
    On a visit to Shaftesbury in 1989 my wife and I witnessed a Red Kite gliding majestically over the town pursued by a dozen corvids.
    There were precisely zero nesting Red Kites in England at that time and our specimen must have been either a stray from the 50 nesting pairs in Wales or more likely and wanderer from the continent.
    Now since the successful re-introduction they are abundant in many areas.
    Saw my first Little Egret also in 1989, not listed as a UK species, now we have 3 types of Egret resident.
    Saw a migrating Osprey in the early 90's, now they are nesting in Poole Harbour.
    We have Dartford Warbler present and Nightjar visiting the heath next to where we live.
    In addition to birds, we have Otters returned to our local rivers spotted by various friends and family (though sadly not yet by myself)
    Although not uncommon, we have had Roe Deer in our front and back garden.
    On the downside, I don't seem to see anything like the numbers of Sparrows and Song Thrushes that I used to see as a boy on Erith Marshes and over the Royal Arsenal back in the days when Abbey Wood was the last outpost before Kent and Thamesmead was just a pipedream.
    The Sparrows used to build their untidy nests in the top of the Hawthorn trees and in the crook of the drainpipes on the tops of the 2-storey maisonette blocks.
    These days they wouldn't stand a chance against Magpie predation.
    Hard to believe Magpies were once considered a bird of the countryside.

• Options
    Come on let’s be Having ya… only NZ native non marine mammal?
  • Options
    Possum!

(only kidding, I know they're considered an invasive pest there)
  • Options
    Would have to be some sort of bat. Unless you're counting humans, but we were definitely brought to NZ with human assistance.
  • Options
    Would have to be some sort of bat. Unless you're counting humans, but we were definitely brought to NZ with human assistance.
    Holy flying mammal Batman, you’re right!
  • Options
    What really amazes me these days is the amount of change I have witnessed over my own lifetime.
    I grew up in Woolwich and Abbey Wood and when we moved lock, stock and barrel to Dorset in 1987 I had never seen a Buzzard in my 33 years.
    The bird books showed no resident Buzzards east of Dorset.
    Now they are common and present in every county in the UK.
    On a visit to Shaftesbury in 1989 my wife and I witnessed a Red Kite gliding majestically over the town pursued by a dozen corvids.
    There were precisely zero nesting Red Kites in England at that time and our specimen must have been either a stray from the 50 nesting pairs in Wales or more likely and wanderer from the continent.
    Now since the successful re-introduction they are abundant in many areas.
    Saw my first Little Egret also in 1989, not listed as a UK species, now we have 3 types of Egret resident.
    Saw a migrating Osprey in the early 90's, now they are nesting in Poole Harbour.
    We have Dartford Warbler present and Nightjar visiting the heath next to where we live.
    In addition to birds, we have Otters returned to our local rivers spotted by various friends and family (though sadly not yet by myself)
    Although not uncommon, we have had Roe Deer in our front and back garden.
    On the downside, I don't seem to see anything like the numbers of Sparrows and Song Thrushes that I used to see as a boy on Erith Marshes and over the Royal Arsenal back in the days when Abbey Wood was the last outpost before Kent and Thamesmead was just a pipedream.
    The Sparrows used to build their untidy nests in the top of the Hawthorn trees and in the crook of the drainpipes on the tops of the 2-storey maisonette blocks.
    These days they wouldn't stand a chance against Magpie predation.
    Hard to believe Magpies were once considered a bird of the countryside.

Thamesmead and the marshesused to be home to :

Farmsteads,
    Skylarks, 
    Lapwings,
    Partridges, 
    Green Shanks,
    Red Shanks,
    Countless species of duck,
    Various plovers,
    Some Pheasants,
    Reed and Marsh Warblers and many other birds. 

Sadly it is now not so.

The winter of 62-63 even brought Dotterels to the area instead of Cumbria 

Skylarks , oh such pretty songs they sing. They make me intensely happy when I hear them. I’m not even joking. I get totally blissed out when I hear their ‘profuse strains of unpremeditated art’ … (Shelley)
  • Options
    I was gonna say that, but I thought you lot in NZ classified bats as birds?  :|

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/11/consternation-in-new-zealand-as-native-bat-included-in-bird-of-the-year-poll
  • Options
    I was gonna say that, but I thought you lot in NZ classified bats as birds?  :|

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/11/consternation-in-new-zealand-as-native-bat-included-in-bird-of-the-year-poll
    Identity politics have reached our shores, what can I say?