Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

My dog

Comments

• Re. RVC, my vet sent Bob my cocker spaniel there when he was ill, as there wasn’t anything they could do, he had blood in his poo. We took him there, told me they would run some tests. If it was what there thought it was, it would be £6-8k and they wanted 25% of that upfront. Bob had internal bleeding and also his blood wasn’t clotting. They were prepared to operate, but due to his age and his condition, it would be taking a big risk.
    Had to say goodbye to him, it broke my heart.
  • I am in a very similar situation Greenhithe, hope you don't mind if I share your post.

My one eyed Border collie/Beagle cross called Nelson  is losing the use of his back legs, he also has constipated diarrhea.

He's around 13 years old, we've had him for 11 years ( from Dog Trust rescue )

Our vet, (park vet's, Welling ) given him med's for diarrhea but unsuccessful.
    He has been on Metacam for around 2 years now to relieve his arthritis, vet stopped that & substituted another med'n to help his arthritis condition but he wouldn't tolerate it.
    He has a lot of attitude!

So from yesterday he's been on antibiotics ;- metrobactin, attempting to stop the diarrhea.
    Unfortunately the strength in his back legs has worsened considerably in last two days and I fear the end is near.

I may have to decide, have Nelson put to sleep. 
    This is such a hard thing, it's difficult to even post about it.
    Their is also the guilt, I've decided not to have him x- raye'd. If he needs an operation I couldn't afford it.
    The vet is scheduled to call me in 15 minuets so I must stop posting.

Hiya, @Addictedoldgit, unfortunately as you say at 13+ his time may have come and I wish you only well in making that decision, with 3 dogs now in the senior age bracket and have made the decision not to operate should they ever need it I can only imagine the pain you are all going through please take care. 

• Have there been any other symptoms mate? Did it all come on suddenly? Could he have eaten something whilst out on a walk? There's some nasty bastard's around you know! Not trying to frighten you I'm just thinking of other possible causes if this was a sudden deterioration!
    Happened recently in Kent (poisoning of cats in Folkestone from memory)
    @Lordflashheart it's becoming a regular occurrence in both cats and dogs. Where I live people are leaving scraps of food in areas where many people walk their dogs, a few have been poisoned sadly.
    Dogs should be trained not to accept food or eat food off the ground unless given by the owner's.

Just why would someone want to do that - I agree with you re feeding, unfortunately some dogs it’s impossible to train in that way, or many owners would not know how to train them not to do it

As alternative to training, can we not just shoot the people who leave out the poison 🤔
    Bowyers advanced training at 12 months "Take and Leave" at distance, if you want basic stuff I have that too just shout. I discourage my dogs from taking food from anyone and or drinking water from bowls left out by the lovely intentioned people locally sadly there are people that leave poison food out for animals or would not hesitate to drop something into a bowl of water. 

• T_C_E said:
    Have there been any other symptoms mate? Did it all come on suddenly? Could he have eaten something whilst out on a walk? There's some nasty bastard's around you know! Not trying to frighten you I'm just thinking of other possible causes if this was a sudden deterioration!
    @Lordflashheart it's becoming a regular occurrence in both cats and dogs. Where I live people are leaving scraps of food in areas where many people walk their dogs, a few have been poisoned sadly.
    Dogs should be trained not to accept food or eat food off the ground unless given by the owner's.

Just why would someone want to do that - I agree with you re feeding, unfortunately some dogs it’s impossible to train in that way, or many owners would not know how to train them not to do it

As alternative to training, can we not just shoot the people who leave out the poison 🤔
    Bowyers advanced training at 12 months "Take and Leave" at distance, if you want basic stuff I have that too just shout. I discourage my dogs from taking food from anyone and or drinking water from bowls left out by the lovely intentioned people locally sadly there are people that leave poison food out for animals or would not hesitate to drop something into a bowl of water. 

Wow !!!

Buster & Bodie (my 2 English Springer Spaniels), well the less said the better in that situation !!!
  • @Greenhithe I'm a good mate of Rays
    My fecking Lawyer is looking at that statement! ;)

• @Greenhithe
    Has he had Lepto 4 jabs or Flea treatments recently?
    if so which ones?

• I am in a very similar situation Greenhithe, hope you don't mind if I share your post.

My one eyed Border collie/Beagle cross called Nelson  is losing the use of his back legs, he also has constipated diarrhea.

He's around 13 years old, we've had him for 11 years ( from Dog Trust rescue )

Our vet, (park vet's, Welling ) given him med's for diarrhea but unsuccessful.
    He has been on Metacam for around 2 years now to relieve his arthritis, vet stopped that & substituted another med'n to help his arthritis condition but he wouldn't tolerate it.
    He has a lot of attitude!

So from yesterday he's been on antibiotics ;- metrobactin, attempting to stop the diarrhea.
    Unfortunately the strength in his back legs has worsened considerably in last two days and I fear the end is near.

I may have to decide, have Nelson put to sleep. 
    This is such a hard thing, it's difficult to even post about it.
    Their is also the guilt, I've decided not to have him x- raye'd. If he needs an operation I couldn't afford it.
    The vet is scheduled to call me in 15 minuets so I must stop posting.

SO sorry to hear about dear Nelson, bless his heart.

Thinking of you both at this difficult time. 
  • T_C_E said:
    Catching up now @Greenhithe
    The bloods were tested for?
    The X-rays of what were taken? 
    I'm assuming hips as you mentioned back leg?

The blood tests were kidny and liver function etc
    X Ray was stomach as its solid and he aint pooing or urinating
    Back right leg went last night when we picked him up  - just went limp and gammy - he cant walk unless he does a Ray Wilkins sideways shuffle 
  • Sorry to sorry to hear your sad news @Greenhithe Wishing you & your dog all the best for a happy outcome
  • T_C_E said:
    @Greenhithe
    if so which ones?

No he hasnt mate.

• Sponsored links:

• T_C_E said:
    @Greenhithe
    if so which ones?

No he hasnt mate.

I’m firing these answers to pals around the world mate so bear with me. 👍
  • edited June 2021
    Have there been any other symptoms mate? Did it all come on suddenly? Could he have eaten something whilst out on a walk? There's some nasty bastard's around you know! Not trying to frighten you I'm just thinking of other possible causes if this was a sudden deterioration!

Why people do it? Not a fucking clue @Lordflashheart, my Mrs has trained all our dogs for last 20 years not to accept food, some nasty bastard's even throw it over people's fences!
    Shoot them.....hell yes! 
  • T_C_E said:

Back right leg went last night when we picked him up  - just went limp and gammy - he cant walk unless he does a Ray Wilkins sideways shuffle 
    My questions ;)
    Stomach full…….. what’s being done about that and what’s he fed on.
    if it’s kibble, do you feed it dry?
  • @Greenhithe Have there been any other symptoms mate? Did it all come on suddenly? Could he have eaten something whilst out on a walk? There's some nasty bastard's around you know! Not trying to frighten you I'm just thinking of other possible causes if this was a sudden deterioration!
    he had a nasty tick buried in his face 2 weeks ago on holiday in Cornwall. We paid a cornish vet to take it out and that was that - we had to give him a course of anti biotics but he seemed fine.

The vets have tested for Limes disease and given him teh all clear

then he became lethargic and wasnt himself this weekend gone and started hiding under my bedside table for hours on end. Then i took him for his evening walk on Monday and he was basically shuffling and moving really weirdly. We then took him to the Vets Tuesday morning and we are now where we are.
    I’m still catching up with this so bear with me………
    you had a buried tick removed……… When was this?
    you had the dog tested for Lymes ………When was this? 
    And how long after the tick was removed was the test?
    And when did the symptoms start?
  • T_C_E said:
    @Greenhithe Have there been any other symptoms mate? Did it all come on suddenly? Could he have eaten something whilst out on a walk? There's some nasty bastard's around you know! Not trying to frighten you I'm just thinking of other possible causes if this was a sudden deterioration!
    he had a nasty tick buried in his face 2 weeks ago on holiday in Cornwall. We paid a cornish vet to take it out and that was that - we had to give him a course of anti biotics but he seemed fine.

The vets have tested for Limes disease and given him teh all clear

then he became lethargic and wasnt himself this weekend gone and started hiding under my bedside table for hours on end. Then i took him for his evening walk on Monday and he was basically shuffling and moving really weirdly. We then took him to the Vets Tuesday morning and we are now where we are.
    I’m still catching up with this so bear with me………
    you had a buried tick removed……… When was this? 2 weeks ago
    you had the dog tested for Lymes ………When was this? today
    And how long after the tick was removed was the test? 2 weeks
    And when did the symptoms start? Monday

• T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:

My questions ;)
    Stomach full…….. what’s being done about that and what’s he fed on. Not alot it looks like
    if it’s kibble, do you feed it dry? We feed him sachets of beef and lamb from Pets at home and Sainsburys etc

• Right firstly, you can’t accurately test for lymes within 4 weeks. 
    Everything I’ve read so far is indicated Lymes and others are saying similar 
    personally I’d be asking for second set of bloods taken. 

• edited June 2021
    T_C_E said:
    Right firstly, you can’t accurately test for lymes within 4 weeks. 
    Everything I’ve read so far is indicated Lymes and others are saying similar 
    personally I’d be asking for second set of bloods taken. 

Having Lyme, as soon as I read that he’d been bitten by a tick I didn’t need to read anymore.
    The dog has a tick born infection, it may not be Lyme there are many variations.
    The poor pet will need a full course of antibiotics.
    Do not take a negative Lyme test as a reason to rule out a tick born disease.

Good luck wee pet & Greenhithe ❤️
  • edited June 2021
    T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:

My questions ;)
    Stomach full…….. what’s being done about that and what’s he fed on. Not alot it looks like
    if it’s kibble, do you feed it dry? We feed him sachets of beef and lamb from Pets at home and Sainsburys etc

Maybe nothing but there was a load of pet food recalled by sainsburys and pets at home this week.  Let me see if I can find it.

Edit it was all cat food
    https://news.sky.com/story/sainsburys-and-pets-at-home-recall-dry-cat-food-products-over-link-to-outbreak-of-potentially-deadly-feline-disease-12334199

But may help someone else? 
  • We cancelled our pet insurance as we thought it was a better choice to put the money aside every month and effectively insure JJ ourselves. It is important to put it away though.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
    @Greenhithe I’ve just checked if doxycycline is safe for dogs, it is in correct doses.
    Thats the antibiotic any human gets put on if bitten by a tick.
    Ask your vet for this.
  • Fingers crossed for you. 
  • Good luck mate
  • I cant  thank you all enough for your help advice and kind words. Last night and today have been mad but positive.

The Super Vet tells us at 5.30 they haven't got slots for his scan etc as its an emergency.
    When we go to pick him up at 6.30 last night the Vet tells me hes got worse and he will try and get an emergency MRI etc at the RVC in Potters Bar (which some of you had advised so i was happy) . But he was also saying that the way Freddie was looking its getting bad and he may have a tumour or something on his spine etc etc and we might have to make a decision soon (alluding to the worst outcome) - i was distraught at the thought of that. He says take him home and he will ring soon and when he does we will have to hot foot it to RVC last night.  20 minutes later the vet rings to say we cant have a scan until Saturday morning at RVC, which aint ideal but we'll try and get in there tomorrow and there aren't any other places to go to.

So we take him home. Fuss over him for a few hours, and in those few hours he perks up a little. We then take him for toilet in the garden and he stands on his back legs and walks, not perfect but good enough. An hour later i say "wanna go for a walk" to him and he jumps off the settee and i put his lead on. He walks pretty well to the end of the road with me, but is then knackered and i carry him back, but all good. He tries to go to wee against walls but cant lift his back leg to cock it.  During the night he goes in the garden and cocks his leg and walks better. He also eats his dinner and poos and is drinking.

In short we took him to the vets this morning and took his canula out and got more anti biotics and have him at home. he aint perfect and theres something wrong but he seems to be getting better from a dog i was told we may have to put down a few hours before.

We may still have the scan tomorrow we are confused.

My god i m happy though.

Weird.

Well it’s sounding better - pleased for you and of course him in particular

Definitely keep investigating what’s wrong, as there must something wrong judging by your description of him even given his improvement

Our previous Springer Spaniel - Scooby - was really ill once - stopped doing wee’s, very lethargic etc etc - took him vet, they couldn’t work it out - then he perked up, so we thought maybe he had shook off whatever it was - but next morning I came downstairs and he was in a dreadful way - rushed him to vet, they x-rayed him, and said he had a growth in his gut, and they would operate immediately - a few hours they rang us, not a growth, he had swallowed a conker whole, and it was blocking his guts 

What numpties dogs can be sometimes !!
  • That’s very encouraging that he’s perked up with the antibiotics.
    Fingers crossed there’s nothing in the MRI because that would mean it probably is a tick born infection & that can be managed.

Keeping everything crossed 🤞🏼 ❤️
  • I cant  thank you all enough for your help advice and kind words. Last night and today have been mad but positive.

The Super Vet tells us at 5.30 they haven't got slots for his scan etc as its an emergency.
    When we go to pick him up at 6.30 last night the Vet tells me hes got worse and he will try and get an emergency MRI etc at the RVC in Potters Bar (which some of you had advised so i was happy) . But he was also saying that the way Freddie was looking its getting bad and he may have a tumour or something on his spine etc etc and we might have to make a decision soon (alluding to the worst outcome) - i was distraught at the thought of that. He says take him home and he will ring soon and when he does we will have to hot foot it to RVC last night.  20 minutes later the vet rings to say we cant have a scan until Saturday morning at RVC, which aint ideal but we'll try and get in there tomorrow and there aren't any other places to go to.

So we take him home. Fuss over him for a few hours, and in those few hours he perks up a little. We then take him for toilet in the garden and he stands on his back legs and walks, not perfect but good enough. An hour later i say "wanna go for a walk" to him and he jumps off the settee and i put his lead on. He walks pretty well to the end of the road with me, but is then knackered and i carry him back, but all good. He tries to go to wee against walls but cant lift his back leg to cock it.  During the night he goes in the garden and cocks his leg and walks better. He also eats his dinner and poos and is drinking.

In short we took him to the vets this morning and took his canula out and got more anti biotics and have him at home. he aint perfect and theres something wrong but he seems to be getting better from a dog i was told we may have to put down a few hours before.

We may still have the scan tomorrow we are confused.

My god i m happy though.

Weird.

Well it’s sounding better - pleased for you and of course him in particular

Definitely keep investigating what’s wrong, as there must something wrong judging by your description of him even given his improvement

Our previous Springer Spaniel - Scooby - was really ill once - stopped doing wee’s, very lethargic etc etc - took him vet, they couldn’t work it out - then he perked up, so we thought maybe he had shook off whatever it was - but next morning I came downstairs and he was in a dreadful way - rushed him to vet, they x-rayed him, and said he had a growth in his gut, and they would operate immediately - a few hours they rang us, not a growth, he had swallowed a conker whole, and it was blocking his guts 

What numpties dogs can be sometimes !!
    Ours ate loads of grass as a puppy and had to be operated on when it clogged her up. We now tell her to stop whenever she's sneaking a bit of grass.  

Have to say I am in awe of the knowledge and compassion on this thread. Hope things continue to improve for you and Freddie, @Greenhithe

I pay over £100 a month on pet insurance for dog and cat. It feels like a lot but the minute there's anything wrong it just zooms up in cost immediately. 

• Wow @T_C_E that is fucking unbelievable - so, just to check, you sued and got all your money back ?