Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Window - Non Charlton Signings / Rumours (Dday from p43)

Comments

• Options
    Sterling off to City, another striker we've missed out on
    Dont you mean Chelsea - Cant go from City to City ;)
  • Options
    Hourihane and Chester are decent signings. McGoldric has only had a couple of profilic seasons in his career. Could still see him hitting 10 goals but be surprised if it's more than that. Wouldn't have wanted him here to be honest. 
    McGoldrick's been in the Championship for years so I assume there's more to his game than goals. We've seen ourselves that players around that age can decline quickly and whatever happens most will need replacing in a year or two. If we've got our signings right we won't need such a big rebuild every summer.
  • Options
    Derby have signed Conor Hourihane, James Chester and David McGoldrick today... they aren't messing around.
    On paper! On paper harry arter was a good signing. The combined age of those 3 players is 98, 101 by the end of the season. Could be risky
    If you spend money on good players you invariably do well, sometimes it doesn't work, but on the most part it does. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't have mcgoldrick ahead of stockley, nor chuks if we could keep him fit (I realise that's a big ask)
  • Options
    Sterling off to City, another striker we've missed out on
    Dont you mean Chelsea - Cant go from City to City ;)
    They're so rich, they're buying their own players  :D
  • Options
    Sterling off to Chelsea, another striker we've missed out on
    I can't decide if it's a good signing or not. It's a good move for Sterling as he'll play more and on the face of it they've got an England forward for less than 50m. But if i was a Chelsea fan who obviously want to try and catch Man City, i wouldn't be overly happy at signing their cast offs.
  • Options
    Derby have signed Conor Hourihane, James Chester and David McGoldrick today... they aren't messing around.
    Looking on social media their fans are very confident of 'pissing the league' with the signing of Hourihane.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Hourihane, who most people think is an excellent player is on a 2 year deal, whereas the other 2 are only on 1 year deals, so not a massive long term risk
    We've seen what players are like towards the end of their 1-year deals... 
    The frequency of games is also a killer and injuries seem to take longer to recover from. 
    I think one to three in a team is doable if you have young players doing the real leg work.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Chunes said:
    Hourihane, who most people think is an excellent player is on a 2 year deal, whereas the other 2 are only on 1 year deals, so not a massive long term risk
    The frequency of games is also a killer and injuries seem to take longer to recover from. 
    I think one to three in a team is doable if you have young players doing the real leg work.
    Cambridge got promoted from L2 with Wes Hoolahan in his late 30s using his class to run the midfield and getting everyone else to do the running 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Chunes said:
    Cambridge got promoted from L2 with Wes Hoolahan in his late 30s using his class to run the midfield and getting everyone else to do the running 
    There is no magic cut off either.  Rooney was finished at 32, Milner is probably the fittest, or one of the fittest, players in the prem.  Solly was finished at 28.

Injuries, genetics, how you look after yourself etc all play apart.  Ronaldo could play in league 1 well into his 40s, the other Ronlado probably couldn't play in the park at 40.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Chunes said:
    There is no magic cut off either.  Rooney was finished at 32, Milner is probably the fittest, or one of the fittest, players in the prem.  Solly was finished at 28.

Injuries, genetics, how you look after yourself etc all play apart.  Ronaldo could play in league 1 well into his 40s, the other Ronlado probably couldn't play in the park at 40.
    Phillip Gilbert celebrated his 40th birthday Monday whilst riding in the Tour De France.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Chunes said:

Phillip Gilbert celebrated his 40th birthday Monday whilst riding in the Tour De France.
    Exactly, one of the lady semi finalists at Wimbledon is in her mid 30s.

This guy is nearly 60!

• Options
    Carlton Morris has left Barnsley and joined Luton.....he was one of their better players.
    Prick still should have been sent off against us!!
  • Options
    Carlton Morris has left Barnsley and joined Luton.....he was one of their better players.
    I can't remember!!! The Shrewsbury game was it?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Chunes said:

Killerflash confirms what I was saying by using the example of Wes Hoolahan having young legs around him.
    Milner is an outstanding example of a professional footballer who can still cut it at the very top. But players like him and the that you quote don’t leave their club for free for that very reason, they stay because they are good.
    Derby are signing quite a few so it is difficult to see where the young legs are to carry them. 
    I think it should be enough quality to avoid relegation and give them a year to consolidate and then move forward. I just don’t think (and hope) it will not be enough for a promotion push.
  • Options
    Yeah Play-Off Semi-Final 2nd Leg... Elbow on Bauer

Referee was awful that game
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Hourihane and Chester are decent signings. McGoldric has only had a couple of profilic seasons in his career. Could still see him hitting 10 goals but be surprised if it's more than that. Wouldn't have wanted him here to be honest. 
    McGoldrick's been in the Championship for years so I assume there's more to his game than goals. We've seen ourselves that players around that age can decline quickly and whatever happens most will need replacing in a year or two. If we've got our signings right we won't need such a big rebuild every summer.
    Sam Vokes was in the league 1 team of the season last year. Season before he got 1 in the championship. Will be interesting to see whether he gets anywhere near 20+ this season again.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Sam Vokes was in the league 1 team of the season last year. Season before he got 1 in the championship. Will be interesting to see whether he gets anywhere near 20+ this season again.
    Very possible McGoldrick has a great season, like I said he’s been at a higher level for years without ever being a prolific goalscorer so must have a lot more to his game.

I guess a key thing to look out for with older players is whether they’ve still got their legs. Arter and Watson hadn’t but Pratley was still very fit and fairly mobile. Kishishev at Brighton is another good example.

If they haven’t then they need to play in a position where it’s less of an issue and they have the quality to make up for it. Arter and Watson’s passing and reading of the game didn’t sadly.
  • Options
    I'm about as confident of McGoldrick scoring as Washington. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62081212

Forest sign Nico Williams from Liverpool for £17m

Crazy sums for a player who's played so few games in the PL
  • Options
    Sheffield Wednesday make another good signing, Reece James on loan from Blackpool.

• Options
    Yeah Play-Off Semi-Final 2nd Leg... Elbow on Bauer

Referee was awful that game
    Yeah i remember it.... tried to forget it though 😂🤣
  • Options
    Sheffield Wednesday make another good signing, Reece James on loan from Blackpool.

That is a good signing 

The best Left Back in L1 a couple of years ago when at Doncaster.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Neco Williams going for £17mil is another example of how good Liverpool are at getting value for British players.

That’s now about £36mil for Williams and Solanke, who combined made a grand total of 11 Premier League starts for them.
  • Options
    Does make you wonder how much someone like Conor Gallagher would cost for a club to sign him from Chelsea. He’s an incredible talent but you’d have to be looking north of £30mil 
  • Options
    I think Omole was mentioned last summer wasn't he?
  • Options
    Let’s hope it was their new managers philosophies and not their old one! 😳