Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Window - Non Charlton Signings / Rumours (Dday from p43)

Comments

• Options
    Richard J said:
    Two players have moved today who I have previously liked.

Graham Carey who took us apart for Plymouth a couple of times has left CSKA Sofia to join St Johnstone.

Lincoln Left Back Cohen Brammall has joined Rotherham. Could this free up Tolaji Bola the ex Arsenal trainee who we were once linked with?
    Bramall is another one who has made his way from non league to forge a good career in the EFL .. a very steady defender and a good signing for the Millers
  • Options
    He wants to play Charlton Life. Sign him up!
  • Options
    Christ those are some good signings... Bet Mendez-Laing wont sleep well tonight, he'll be too off his face.
  • Options
    Christ those are some good signings... Bet Mendez-Laing wont sleep well tonight, he'll be too off his face.
    So Derby start recruiting players from this league and above whilst we sign players from this League & below.

I wonder who has the best strategy...?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    So Derby start recruiting players from this league and above whilst we sign players from this League & below.

We've been trying that strategy for the last two years... Might be worth trying something a bit different and going for hungry players, wanting to prove themselves - Rather than ones willing to drop down, because they want one last paycheck, or are reluctant to admit that their legs cant handle professional football anymore.

Of course its impossible at this stage to truly work out who has the better Recruitment strategy.
  • Options

Gunter, Watson, Maddison and Bogle all came from Championship clubs (or were on loan with one).

Looking at their signings two were young Derby players. Two were with Sheff Wed and should be decent signings.

Would you have been happy with Barkhuizen as our main and possibly only striker signing of the summer?

• Options
    Tom Barkhuizen is 28 and spent 5 1/2 seasons in the Championship with Preston, being a regular for most of that time. That's a very decent signing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hasn't played since January this year, hasn't scored since December 2020. Plays right wing mostly, an assist every 11 games on average and a goal every 7ish games. Obviously that's all in a division above but he hasn't done much in 18 months or so now
  • Options
    Tom Barkhuizen is 28 and spent 5 1/2 seasons in the Championship with Preston, being a regular for most of that time. That's a very decent signing
    He scored 1 goal every 6 games for Preston.
    4 in the last 58 games.
    Seems a poor return for a striker, but I don't really know him, other than I've heard of him.
  • Options
    Josh Parker on trial at afc Wimbledon. Guessing this is Jackson doing him a favour rather that Wimbledon are interested
  • Options
    He scored 1 goal every 6 games for Preston.
    4 in the last 58 games.
    Seems a poor return for a striker, but I don't really know him, other than I've heard of him.
    Not a striker. More a winger or wide midfielder
  • Options
    Josh Parker on trial at afc Wimbledon. Guessing this is Jackson doing him a favour rather that Wimbledon are interested
    Not played for over a year. At L2 level he ought to be a decent player though
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    There are exceptions of course but if a Champ player doesn't have any Championship clubs wanting him, he's likely just a league one player on the way down in his career

We have had a lot of experience with that

"Recruit from the league above" doesn't seem like a good recruitment strategy
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Hasn't played since January this year, hasn't scored since December 2020. Plays right wing mostly, an assist every 11 games on average and a goal every 7ish games. Obviously that's all in a division above but he hasn't done much in 18 months or so now
    I'm pissed we havent signed him now... Sounds perfect for us!!
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

Derby County sign a load of players their clubs didn't want and we sign players that their clubs wanted to keep. I wonder who has the best strategy...?

The truth is, time will tell. But players on their way down are not, by default, better than players on the way up.
    It also doesn't automatically follow that players their clubs wanted to keep are better than the ones clubs wanted to let go. Especially as it depends on the level the player is at

While we have signed some lemons from higher divisions, if you look at the 18/19 squad the likes of Pearce, Purrington, Pratley, Fosu and Williams were all unwanted by their previous sides, and originally moved "downwards" when they joined us.

Stockley was unwanted by Championship Preston, while Dobson was unwanted by Sunderland, a bigger L1 club
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

Derby County sign a load of players their clubs didn't want and we sign players that their clubs wanted to keep. I wonder who has the best strategy...?

The truth is, time will tell. But players on their way down are not, by default, better than players on the way up.
    It also doesn't automatically follow that players their clubs wanted to keep are better than the ones clubs wanted to let go. Especially as it depends on the level the player is at

While we have signed some lemons from higher divisions, if you look at the 18/19 squad the likes of Pearce, Purrington, Pratley, Fosu and Williams were all unwanted by their previous sides, and originally moved "downwards" when they joined us.

Stockley was unwanted by Championship Preston, while Dobson was unwanted by Sunderland, a bigger L1 club
    I fully agree. I was purely pointing out the inaccuracies of the generalisation above. Yann was clearly unwanted by Leicester and has been my favourite player of the last 15 years. There is no right or wrong way to sign a player, only whether or not they are the right fit for us.

FWIW, I think Derby's signings are strong and Wildsmith in particular is a really good keeper at this level. But I think our signings have been strong too and I am really enjoying the fact that they have all been signed with a clear purpose and objective.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:

The ultimate point is there is no profile for a guaranteed good, or bad, signing. 

We have signed good players of all sorts of profiles, we have signed bad players of all of them as well. 

I did notice in the Bradford City team of the decade I shared earlier the midfield pairing was a teenager on loan from the prem and a 35 year old free transfer from Rochdale.

I think it's human nature to want the opposite to what failed last time. The number of people that wanted a "proven manager" after Jackson but thought that Adkins was too old......
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Arsenal have signed Gabriel Jesus from City for £45m.
    City have spent the money straight away on Kalvin Phillips for the same fee.
  • Options
    City despite their signings have actually spent very little on transfers this summer by shifting out a load of reserves/kids from around their network.

Bazunu, Edozie, Porro, Gyarbi, Itakura, Egan-Riley, Lavia all gone for a total that covers the Haaland fee and there is barely a senior appearance between the lot of them. If they sell Sterling as well then they're well in profit this summer.

But Tebas will cry and tell everyone City are ruining football because they signed Haaland and Barca/Real couldn't.
  • Options
    City despite their signings have actually spent very little on transfers this summer by shifting out a load of reserves/kids from around their network.

Bazunu, Edozie, Porro, Gyarbi, Itakura, Egan-Riley, Lavia all gone for a total that covers the Haaland fee and there is barely a senior appearance between the lot of them. If they sell Sterling as well then they're well in profit this summer.

But Tebas will cry and tell everyone City are ruining football because they signed Haaland and Barca/Real couldn't.
    Well run club, it's similar to Chelsea in the way the profit they make from youngsters tends to pay for the actually incoming transfers.

Compare that to say, Manchester United, where they've got the outgoings but not the incom9ng transfer fees that cover anywhere near it.
  • Options

We'll ignore the billion pounds that was spent putting that infrastructure into place. 
    You don't need to ignore it, but they've certainly invested wisely. Great management structure in place, regenerated an entire area of Manchester, impressive academy, a network of clubs across the world and have a squad that is probably worth more than the billion pounds you mention.

Contrast that with Man United who've spent a billion in the last decade going backwards or Everton who've spent well over 500m to almost be relegated.
  • Options

We'll ignore the billion pounds that was spent putting that infrastructure into place. 
    You don't need to ignore it, but they've certainly invested wisely. Great management structure in place, regenerated an entire area of Manchester, impressive academy, a network of clubs across the world and have a squad that is probably worth more than the billion pounds you mention.

Contrast that with Man United who've spent a billion in the last decade going backwards or Everton who've spent well over 500m to almost be relegated.
    Manchester United aren't a good comparison, in the time Man City have had a billion pound investment United have paid a billion out in dividends.
  • Options
    Gunter to Wimbledon 
  • Options
    Rangers signing Zak Lovelace from Millwall. Kick in the teeth for them, minimal fee for going cross border. Rangers at it again!