Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Naomi Osaka & mental health

Comments

• Options
    Nobody is saying she should be banned from playing tennis, just that big tournaments, venues, and prize-funds need to be paid for by somebody, and that generally means fulfilling the contract that you have signed up to (particularly when, if you do not fulfill that contract you are potentially giving yourself a significant competitive advantage over the poor fools who do).
    Secondarily, it is not unreasonable for any employee to give independent medical confirmation of a medical problem to their employer and expect that employer to make reasonable compromises over time, but as far as I can see, this was not done. People are no better at accurately self-diagnosing damage done to their own mental-health as to their own physical health.
    I suspect that this would all be a very different scenario if, in good time, she had gone to the tennis authorities with independent medical opinion that real damage was being done to her mental-health.

I think that should be the long and short of it. 
  • Options
    Outrage on behalf of the sponsors, I've seen it all. If her sponsors don't like it, there will be contractual mechanisms to express that. I'd suggest the amount of coverage this is getting means sticking by her and showing some understanding will be the better option...similarly the LTA and their sponsors.
  • Options
    @PrincessFiona "She's probably faking it"

Also @PrincessFiona
    She should be banned. Not doing her job plus she’s happy to take the money in endorsements / Adverts etc ...
    That is the bit that annoys me. It can't be new to her yet she signed up for the dish. Then says sorry folks, I am a shy Mary Helen. 
    Thankfully not everyone is as horrible and nasty as you are . Let’s hope none of your family suffer from depression or anxiety because with your attitude, you will put them over edge . Idiot 
    Why does it mean anyone questioning this has to be horrible and nasty and would not be sympathetic to a family member, friend or colleague? People leap to illogical conclusions.

This extreme reaction doesn't help the discussion - no wonder some people feel they can't question anything if they are immediately labelled as nasty. So be kind to those suffering but not to those exploring the situation

• Options
    I don't think people are saying that at all. I agree it is wrong to accuse somebody of faking it and the best solution is to find a solution which all parties should work to. Personally, I think we should spare more thought for  everyday people who don't get reasonable allowances within their workplace or even lose their jobs, who are not earning multi millions a year. 

The fact is, sponsors are behind the huge financial rewards in tennis and other sports and this does have to be acknowledged whilst finding a way that address the issues for the individual. Surely Osaka could employ somebody to find a way to achieve this rather than just refuse to do the interviews in the way she seems to have done so.
  • Options
    no doubt those complaining about osaka's withdrawal are the same who complain about how money has ruined sport. The irony.
  • Options
    Surely that is a different argument, but one in which you can't take your usual moral high ground on. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/naomi-osaka-docuseries-coming-to-netflix-in-july-2021/

Good timing for Netflix, their 3 part documentary on Osaka arrives in July...

The docu-series was first announced to be in development back in February 2020. Alongside the announcement, Naomi Osaka shared her excited for the docu-series saying:
    “To be able to tell my story and let people in during this big year, working with a team that really understands me, has been a rewarding experience. It won’t look like a traditional sports documentary, and I’m so excited to share it with everyone.”
    Here’s how Netflix describes the new series:
    “What does it feel like to be one of the best tennis players in the world? An intimate look inside the life of one of the most gifted and complex athletes of her generation offers insight into the tough decisions and ecstatic triumphs that shape Naomi Osaka as both an elite global superstar and a young woman navigating a pressure-filled world.”
  • Options
    Surely that is a different argument, but one in which you can't take your usual moral high ground on. 
    Except it seems to be what the argument is, isn’t it? They should suck it up, go see and talk to the press because they’re paid for it. 
  • Options
    Barty retired due to injury - top 2 seeds both pulling out in round 2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Except it seems to be what the argument is, isn’t it? They should suck it up, go see and talk to the press because they’re paid for it. 
    I'd say that was pretty much the argument of one person on this thread.
  • Options

Also @PrincessFiona

Why does it mean anyone questioning this has to be horrible and nasty and would not be sympathetic to a family member, friend or colleague? People leap to illogical conclusions.

This extreme reaction doesn't help the discussion - no wonder some people feel they can't question anything if they are immediately labelled as nasty. So be kind to those suffering but not to those exploring the situation

Please do not mis-quote me, this is ridiculous and actually libellous.  The way you have written it looks like that it was I said. And I didn't. I didn't even suggest it. Unfortunately, as you seem to care about the topic, you seem to be incapable of having a reasonable discussion and leap to incorrect conclusions about what others say.

Shame, as you probably mean well.  You are undermining your own argument and possibly doing more harm than good.
  • Options

Also @PrincessFiona

Please do not mis-quote me, this is ridiculous and actually libellous.  The way you have written it looks like that it was I said. And I didn't. I didn't even suggest it. Unfortunately, as you seem to care about the topic, you seem to be incapable of having a reasonable discussion and leap to incorrect conclusions about what others say.

Shame, as you probably mean well.  You are undermining your own argument and possibly doing more harm than good.
    It isn’t, when that’s the crux of your argument. That people fake it to get ahead, so why should we assume people aren’t faking it. 

Still waiting on that evidence that this behaviour is “on the rise” by the way.
  • Options

It isn’t, when that’s the crux of your argument. That people fake it to get ahead, so why should we assume people aren’t faking it. 

Still waiting on that evidence that this behaviour is “on the rise” by the way.
    It isn't what? I said some people were claiming it (and in my experience is appeared to be on the increase) and and you didn't understand the difference between "claiming it" and "pretending to have", which is hardly rocket science.

I never said you should assume someone is or isn't faking it.

As others have pointed out, you really do seem incapable of understanding someone else's point of view and not only misinterpret what they have said but mis-quote them!!
  • Options
    I'd say that was pretty much the argument of one person on this thread.
    Which was my point. I think most posters have said the authorities need to support her and find a way to best do that. I think the theme from most is this could probably have been handled better from both sides. I know people who have depression and when in the depths of it, they are unable to function. Osaki is not only competing but earning more money than any other woman tennis player so I don't think it is unreasonable for her or a representative of hers to sit down with the tennis authorities and work something out.
  • Options
    She should be banned. Not doing her job plus she’s happy to take the money in endorsements / Adverts etc ...
    That is the bit that annoys me. It can't be new to her yet she signed up for the dish. Then says sorry folks, I am a shy Mary Helen. 
    Thankfully not everyone is as horrible and nasty as you are . Let’s hope none of your family suffer from depression or anxiety because with your attitude, you will put them over edge . Idiot 
     It is not about horribleness or nastiness.  Stop being sentimental.  She earned 37.5million squids last year largely on advertising promotions yet she is shy after a match and when needing to perform contractual duties she volunteered for. 

What you suggest is not the same. Clive Mendonca was a really shy guy. He still went onto a show to after the 1998 play off.  Largely  because he was the man expected to. 
    He was my kid's choice to meet for winning the price but he liked even less meeting strangers in such events so Carl Leaburn , 2nd choice stepped in.

It wasn't  a problem.  What I said was , "Why sign up for interviews when you know you have issues?"  I have no sympathy for that . Please read what I said and don't put wrong  interpretation on it .

F anything you are the idiot for failing to comprehend plain English. And kindly please don't associate my remarks with others. 

Also remember forums are for all views not just yours if put reasonable and are not racist etc.,
    You are a dinosaur pal. If you think being shy is the same as having depression or severe anxiety then you are more stupid than I originally thought . 
    That’s the last I’m saying on the matter .
     I now realise I am dealing with a person who clearly has no time for anyone's views but his own.

A forum is " A place or medium where views can  exchanged and discussed " .

Sadly you are at the level where your second repost is an insult.  

My issue is with sports people  and contracts. Dear Jesus, do you really lack such basic understanding. 

Plus she took the money , banked it and then cried off. 

I don't buy that any more than I accepted another contract reneging money keeping sports person called Taylor was right either. 
    This tennis player has enough  money to get the best mental health care. Personally I think she needs to man up. She had just played a game of tennis in the spot light.  

One of  daughters had to abort a child for medical reasons. She needed help and believe me answering a fee questions from the press is very minor compared with that. Luckily her firm helped with her counselling in her employment package. So did we. 

She now acts as a councillor in house for her firm.

Before you gob of consider what you say. 

And I am not your mate so don't address me as thus.

You’re asking people to consider your views on this when you’re asking someone with mental health issues to ‘man up’ ???

Do you not think you also need to consider what you say before you ‘gob off’??
     Yes I am because I know people in a farce worse position than a very rich woman who decided to sign up to something she isn't now prepared to do but was happy with the money for all sorts of promotions including promoting herself. She has resources to immediately access help. 

Others don't or will have to wait. 

So yes, in a nutshell I am.  

My added my own experience  because  Beddsaddick asked me to consider what my view would be if it was my family. Hardly gobbing off.

All I said was "Why sign up for sponsors money and then use this to cry off having earned  millions doing nor a lot but promote some crap products and talk to a few journalists and possibly hit a ba now and then.
    So what you are actually saying is that you only think poor people with mental health issues deserve to be treated with any sort of dignity by others?

Because if you’re rich you can buy your way out of it and therefore aren’t entitled to any kind of sympathy from anyone else?

And I thought I didn’t understand mental health and it’s many nuances 😳
    Caroline Flack should've just used some of her money to buy her way out of her depression.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
     It is not about horribleness or nastiness.  Stop being sentimental.  She earned 37.5million squids last year largely on advertising promotions yet she is shy after a match and when needing to perform contractual duties she volunteered for. 

What you suggest is not the same. Clive Mendonca was a really shy guy. He still went onto a show to after the 1998 play off.  Largely  because he was the man expected to. 
    He was my kid's choice to meet for winning the price but he liked even less meeting strangers in such events so Carl Leaburn , 2nd choice stepped in.

It wasn't  a problem.  What I said was , "Why sign up for interviews when you know you have issues?"  I have no sympathy for that . Please read what I said and don't put wrong  interpretation on it .

F anything you are the idiot for failing to comprehend plain English. And kindly please don't associate my remarks with others. 

Also remember forums are for all views not just yours if put reasonable and are not racist etc.,
    You are a dinosaur pal. If you think being shy is the same as having depression or severe anxiety then you are more stupid than I originally thought . 
     I now realise I am dealing with a person who clearly has no time for anyone's views but his own.

My issue is with sports people  and contracts. Dear Jesus, do you really lack such basic understanding. 

I don't buy that any more than I accepted another contract reneging money keeping sports person called Taylor was right either. 
    This tennis player has enough  money to get the best mental health care. Personally I think she needs to man up. She had just played a game of tennis in the spot light.  

One of  daughters had to abort a child for medical reasons. She needed help and believe me answering a fee questions from the press is very minor compared with that. Luckily her firm helped with her counselling in her employment package. So did we. 

You’re asking people to consider your views on this when you’re asking someone with mental health issues to ‘man up’ ???

Yes I am because I know people in a farce worse position than a very rich woman who decided to sign up to something she isn't now prepared to do but was happy with the money for all sorts of promotions including promoting herself. She has resources to immediately access help. 

My added my own experience  because  Beddsaddick asked me to consider what my view would be if it was my family. Hardly gobbing off.

All I said was "Why sign up for sponsors money and then use this to cry off having earned  millions doing nor a lot but promote some crap products and talk to a few journalists and possibly hit a ba now and then.
    So what you are actually saying is that you only think poor people with mental health issues deserve to be treated with any sort of dignity by others?

Because if you’re rich you can buy your way out of it and therefore aren’t entitled to any kind of sympathy from anyone else?

Dear God....give me strength.  Why is it that people are so preoccupied  with their own interpretation on something they just make it up.

Look ..... she signed up for a deal knowing she had issues , yet managed to earn £37.5 million by being in the public spotlight. 

I have no sympathy for people  who renege on contracts .

My own family member who had need of counselling had to abort a pregnancy due to two genetic defects which are extremely rare and together became only the 2nd case in Europe.  However  it cause extreme emotional anxiety even though the choice was inevitable.

I am sick of celebrities going on about themselves as if only they count. 

This tennis player can get her own treatment and will. 

Others can't afford this and have no idea what to do . 

I am not sure why poor people  have entered into a forum about a tennis player. 

She signed up to play tennis. She is the number two player in the world and will be guaranteed invites to the world's best tournaments because of it.

Do you seriously think she sits there and combs through "contracts" for every tournament she plays in every week?

As soon as she realized not doing press conferences are not an option, she pulled out of the tournament. To the detriment of no-one but herself.

Not sure why you're so worked up, unless it's a troll. That wouldn't be a surprise seven pages later. In which case I say bravo.
  • Options

Dear God....give me strength.  Why is it that people are so preoccupied  with their own interpretation on something they just make it up.

Look ..... she signed up for a deal knowing she had issues , yet managed to earn £37.5 million by being in the public spotlight. 

My own family member who had need of counselling had to abort a pregnancy due to two genetic defects which are extremely rare and together became only the 2nd case in Europe.  However  it cause extreme emotional anxiety even though the choice was inevitable.

I said............ So what you are actually saying is that you only think poor people with mental health issues deserve to be treated with any sort of dignity by others? Because if you’re rich you can buy your way out of it and therefore aren’t entitled to any kind of sympathy from anyone else?

You just said exactly that in your reply above. 
    Not making anything up am I?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doing promotional work and doing press conferences are two completely different things.

In one everybody is lovely to you, it's scheduled for your convenience and you're pretty much in control of the situation.

In a press conference, especially if you've lost, it can feel like you're being attacked. You're outnumbered 20+ to 1 whilst those 20± journos are trying to extract a printable quote. Some will do that by attacking or trying to provoke a response. It is completely out of the athlete's control and often at a time when the last thing they want to do is subject themselves to that sort of situation.

Why do people keep saying "well she earned X do easy promo work, how can she have a problem with a press conference straight aftee a physically and mentally demanding performance". 

In Osaka's case she has had very little time to get used to the sort of scrutiny she now experiences. Until she beat Williams in a final she was just a promising young kid. The press would have soft batted her easy questions, gushed a bit over how mature she was and then moved on. Even for the first year or two after that victory they would have been relatively gentle, seeing if she was a genuine challenger or a flash in the pan. It's only the last 12-18 months she's cemented herself at the top of the rankings, making the expectations and scrutiny that much more.

That a young girl feels a bit overwhelmed is to be unexpected, but apparently she's earned a load of cash, so is fair game to be attacked for daring to admit she's struggling with some aspects of her new found fame.

I know I'd find it a lot lot easier to rock up to a studio for a couple of hours to film an advert. Where I'm pampered and made to feel special, rather than a press conference where my every action and decision for the last few month (because that's what it is, not just questioning of decisions during that one match, but their whole training plan, coaching setup, etc.) is dissected and attacked.

It's possible that both the tennis authorities and Naomi Osaka are being less than honest but given the way the whole thing has been conducted we'll never know. 
  • Options

It has been reported that a lot of the stress that she is currently feeling is due to being grilled in press conferences,  about whether the Japanese Olympics should go ahead. Hugely contentious issue in her homeland, and she is damned if she goes either way, but understandably as the poster girl for the games, the press are hungry for her opinions, and she is equally understandably reluctant to give them.

• Options
    brownbear said:

It has been reported that a lot of the stress that she is currently feeling is due to being grilled in press conferences,  about whether the Japanese Olympics should go ahead. Hugely contentious issue in her homeland, and she is damned if she goes either way, but understandably as the poster girl for the games, the press are hungry for her opinions, and she is equally understandably reluctant to give them.

Especially when the press have a proven record for taking things out of context or spinning innocuous comments into controversy to sell better.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I believe that being rich can be an advantage to somebody with a mental illness. For a start, they will be in a position to buy help and support that a poor person has to rely on their health services for. And I have seen at close hand how under funded and sporadic that can be. I recall a couple of years ago waiting for hours in hospital with a friend suffering with depression and threatening suicide only to eventually be told the team couldn't see him. They insisted on giving us a number to ring as they chucked us out that when I finally got through to it, I was told he needed to go to hospital. So money does come into it.

Of course, rich people can suffer greatly due to mental illness despite having access to treatment that poorer people haven't and that should be respected but there is a way to do things and a way not to. Osaka has been earning millions so must have been functioning at a high level. I know from my friend that they were unable to focus on anything and the simplest tasks were incredibly difficult. It seems entirely reasonable that she could have negotiated with tournaments and raised the profile of her condition rather than do it the way she did.

What I believe we need is to have a situation where there isn't a stigma attached to mental illness, and people can be open and honest about it. Where that is not the case, resentment can breed and more pressures created. An openness should allow all parties to find the best solutions and I believe that is the best way forwards and I believe that is the way forward for Osaka. Not to throw it in like a bomb shell, but to work with the authorities to find a way which will also benefit other tennis players with similar issues in future. I'm confident that will now happen and she will be competing in the next major, if she is able to.
  • Options
    no doubt those complaining about osaka's withdrawal are the same who complain about how money has ruined sport. The irony.

are you Alanis Morrisette?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I think the discussion has largely been around how well Osaka has tried. What you will have, as a reality, is if people can just say they have a mental illness and can't do this or that in a workplace out of the blue, some colleagues will resent it and be disbelieving and be more likely to be antagonistic. If they know they have a mental illness, they are more likely to be understanding and flexible, well you would hope and expect so anyway. 

The question is whether Osaka discussed her issues with the tournament rather than just decided she wasn't going to do interviews in the moment without consultation. Of course we won't have the full picture and have views based on what our understanding of that situation is which could be incorrect. Where there is an issue I am concerned about is not from the world of multi million pound tennis players, but people who may be afraid to share their mental health issues and be right to do so in terms of keeping their jobs. I think what will be more interesting in terms of Osaka is how tennis deals with her depression from this point now it knows about it.  
  • Options
    edited June 2021

She signed up to play tennis. She is the number two player in the world and will be guaranteed invites to the world's best tournaments because of it.

Do you seriously think she sits there and combs through "contracts" for every tournament she plays in every week?

As soon as she realized not doing press conferences are not an option, she pulled out of the tournament. To the detriment of no-one but herself.

Not sure why you're so worked up, unless it's a troll. That wouldn't be a surprise seven pages later. In which case I say bravo.
     I am sure her agent made her aware before that. I am not a troll but it pushes me off that sports people have problems with contracts but not taking the money.
    Jesus H Christ, her problem is not with the contract it’s with her mental health. In her state of mind right now I doubt she gives a feck about the contract.