Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Naomi Osaka & mental health

Comments

• Options
    What we don't know is if there were any discussions in the previous weeks. Did she approach them and ask for press conferences to be delayed, or if she could send her coach in her stead if she didn't feel she could handle it at the time. If that happened and the response was just being reminded of her obligations with no hint of compromise, then she may have felt that the nuclear "no press" options was the only option she was left with. 

If there were no previous discussions then it wasn't a great move by her and was guaranteed to cause problems.
  • Options
    Re-work the whole prize money side of things. Have a two tiered system. One whereby you have the prize money that the tournament would put forward. A statutory one, if you like, minus any financial additions generated by the media/broadcasting rights etc.

Then have a second prize pot that includes the top-ups from sponsors and all the media/broadcasters that pay for the rights and hugely increase the prize pot, on the proviso that they get their pound of flesh after completed matches.

Players can then state at the start of each tournament which prize pool they will be playing towards.

One will include media duties to be undertaken and the other wont. One prize pool will be greater than the other, naturally.

Players will be able to safeguard their mental health whilst also still earning prize money.
    Agreed.

I want to see the best tennis players - not media personalities.

I don't care if the best tennis player in the world is so shy they throw up if asked to speak publicly. That's the person I want to see play! 
  • Options
    What we don't know is if there were any discussions in the previous weeks. Did she approach them and ask for press conferences to be delayed, or if she could send her coach in her stead if she didn't feel she could handle it at the time. If that happened and the response was just being reminded of her obligations with no hint of compromise, then she may have felt that the nuclear "no press" options was the only option she was left with. 

If there were no previous discussions then it wasn't a great move by her and was guaranteed to cause problems.
    Yes, and admittedly I have been assuming that she had not made any attempts to communicate instead of reaching out and being rebuked - if this is not the case then it makes the organisation look much worse.

The reporting gives the impression the first time this came up was after her first match when she refused to speak but that could be misleading.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    thenewbie said:
    LenGlover said:
    thenewbie said:
    I suppose that is for the sport and sponsors to decide rather than you or me, but I am not against them trying to.
    I think there's definitely something that needs to be done. While I am sympathetic to her, I am still very aware that sponsors and organisers etc do have certain expectations and obligations to keep as well and her unilateral decision to just announce she just wasn't going to do questions was a bit heavy handed and perhaps naive.

They did handle it badly but she didn't give them much to work with in terms of compromise or even discussion.
    They threatened to kick her out of the tournament so she pre-empted them.
    Yes, which is why I am saying neither party handled the initial incident very well. If she had started by saying she struggled with the interviews and asked if there was anything they could do to help then maybe there could have been a discussion.

Instead both of them ended up in the position that it's either play and do all the interviews or don't play at all. Which isn't ideal. No room for compromise.
    But she was responding to a threat to kick her out. Someone with mental health problems doesn't need the aggro, in my opinion, so she took the authorities at their word and resolved the issue in her own mind.
    but she was refusing to carry out media obligations that she agrees to with her participation in the tournament. someone conscious enough of their mental health to refuse to talk to the press would have been conscious of that entering the tournament.

leave me alone and pay me 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    thenewbie said:
    LenGlover said:
    thenewbie said:
    I suppose that is for the sport and sponsors to decide rather than you or me, but I am not against them trying to.
    I think there's definitely something that needs to be done. While I am sympathetic to her, I am still very aware that sponsors and organisers etc do have certain expectations and obligations to keep as well and her unilateral decision to just announce she just wasn't going to do questions was a bit heavy handed and perhaps naive.

They did handle it badly but she didn't give them much to work with in terms of compromise or even discussion.
    Yes, which is why I am saying neither party handled the initial incident very well. If she had started by saying she struggled with the interviews and asked if there was anything they could do to help then maybe there could have been a discussion.

Instead both of them ended up in the position that it's either play and do all the interviews or don't play at all. Which isn't ideal. No room for compromise.
    But she was responding to a threat to kick her out. Someone with mental health problems doesn't need the aggro, in my opinion, so she took the authorities at their word and resolved the issue in her own mind.
    but she was refusing to carry out media obligations that she agrees to with her participation in the tournament. someone conscious enough of their mental health to refuse to talk to the press would have been conscious of that entering the tournament.

Is that an unreasonable position? She turns up, plays the game, the press is just a side show. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    thenewbie said:
    LenGlover said:
    thenewbie said:

Is that an unreasonable position? She turns up, plays the game, the press is just a side show. 
    yes it is, sponsors pay a fortune and someone else would have to do it.
  • Options
    I'm just wondering if she was having a bit of an episode of her mental health problem in the lead up to the tournament she might have wanted to pull out but was persuaded by others - eg her coach - to carry on. If you are not feeling right but just get told 'you'll be fine' and yet you really don't feel up to it the only way is to totally back out . Look at other sports players with mental health problems - Ronnie O'Sullivan for example, got to the point in one tournament that he just couldn't face going on and shook Hendry's hand and walked off. He'd got to the point where he didn't care about the consequences (I think a fine) but just had to go. I've got a good idea how he felt but if you haven't then it's easy to be critical.
    I don’t think that’s a fair comparison with R O’S at all
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I am surprised she has managed to be as successful as she has been in the circumstances then. Many sports stars have had to take a step back or quit sport because they can't deal with the pressures etc. Obviously it affects people individually but am surprised she can deal with the pressure of the sport, particularly an individual sport like tennis with the precision and composure etc needed to win points and the scoring system (with game/break/set and match points etc) but cannot deal with a tv interview.

Before anyone leaps to any incorrect conclusions, I am not making any comment about the veracity or otherwise of her situation/condition, just expressing surprise considering the pressures of the actual game, particularly tennis.
  • Options
    I am surprised she has managed to be as successful as she has been in the circumstances then. Many sports stars have had to take a step back or quit sport because they can't deal with the pressures etc. Obviously it affects people individually but am surprised she can deal with the pressure of the sport, particularly an individual sport like tennis with the precision and composure etc needed to win points and the scoring system (with game/break/set and match points etc) but cannot deal with a tv interview.

Before anyone leaps to any incorrect conclusions, I am not making any comment about the veracity or otherwise of her situation/condition, just expressing surprise considering the pressures of the actual game, particularly tennis.
    It's how people are affected though. Everyone can be affected differently and by different things. When she's on the court, it's in her own hands and she can win or lose based on her own skill versus that of her opponent, it's instinct and reflex.

When answering questions she has to actually stop and think (albeit very briefly for some of the more inane questions perhaps) and there's the chance what she says will be twisted or edited to mean something else in order to manufacture a story.

Different types of pressure, different ways of coping, different things.
  • Options
    Why do they have to have a press conference straight after the match anyway?
    It could wait until the player has had a chance to shower, change and reflect surely.
    I’m not even sure what benefit there is for the sponsors anyway.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    She should be banned. Not doing her job plus she’s happy to take the money in endorsements / Adverts etc ...
    Sorry I didn’t realise the job of a tennis player was to do press conferences and then participate in a little bit of actual sport for fun afterwards.
  • Options
    She should be banned. Not doing her job plus she’s happy to take the money in endorsements / Adverts etc ...
    That is the bit that annoys me. It can't be new to her yet she signed up for the dish. Then says sorry folks, I am a shy Mary Helen. 
    She signed up to play tennis.

When she was told she had to take part in press conferences, she resigned from the tournament.

What’s the problem? You seem to be implying that she is trying to have it both ways and that’s not the case at all.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

It's how people are affected though. Everyone can be affected differently and by different things. When she's on the court, it's in her own hands and she can win or lose based on her own skill versus that of her opponent, it's instinct and reflex.

When answering questions she has to actually stop and think (albeit very briefly for some of the more inane questions perhaps) and there's the chance what she says will be twisted or edited to mean something else in order to manufacture a story.

Different types of pressure, different ways of coping, different things.
    I can see that. But how can you pick and choose what bits of the sport work for you; interviews, crowds, live televising, drug testing etc? Will more sportspersons want to customise their set up? Or those in other spheres. It will be interesting how this evolves
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:
    Why do they have to have a press conference straight after the match anyway?
    It could wait until the player has had a chance to shower, change and reflect surely.
    I’m not even sure what benefit there is for the sponsors anyway.
    potential ly better for the players, but would that be enough?
  • Options
    That is the bit that annoys me. It can't be new to her yet she signed up for the dish. Then says sorry folks, I am a shy Mary Helen. 
    Thankfully not everyone is as horrible and nasty as you are . Let’s hope none of your family suffer from depression or anxiety because with your attitude, you will put them over edge . Idiot 
     It is not about horribleness or nastiness.  Stop being sentimental.  She earned 37.5million squids last year largely on advertising promotions yet she is shy after a match and when needing to perform contractual duties she volunteered for. 

What you suggest is not the same. Clive Mendonca was a really shy guy. He still went onto a show to after the 1998 play off.  Largely  because he was the man expected to. 
    He was my kid's choice to meet for winning the price but he liked even less meeting strangers in such events so Carl Leaburn , 2nd choice stepped in.

It wasn't  a problem.  What I said was , "Why sign up for interviews when you know you have issues?"  I have no sympathy for that . Please read what I said and don't put wrong  interpretation on it .

F anything you are the idiot for failing to comprehend plain English. And kindly please don't associate my remarks with others. 

Also remember forums are for all views not just yours if put reasonable and are not racist etc.,
    You are a dinosaur pal. If you think being shy is the same as having depression or severe anxiety then you are more stupid than I originally thought . 
    That’s the last I’m saying on the matter .
  • Options
    Thankfully not everyone is as horrible and nasty as you are . Let’s hope none of your family suffer from depression or anxiety because with your attitude, you will put them over edge . Idiot 
     It is not about horribleness or nastiness.  Stop being sentimental.  She earned 37.5million squids last year largely on advertising promotions yet she is shy after a match and when needing to perform contractual duties she volunteered for. 

What you suggest is not the same. Clive Mendonca was a really shy guy. He still went onto a show to after the 1998 play off.  Largely  because he was the man expected to. 
    He was my kid's choice to meet for winning the price but he liked even less meeting strangers in such events so Carl Leaburn , 2nd choice stepped in.

It wasn't  a problem.  What I said was , "Why sign up for interviews when you know you have issues?"  I have no sympathy for that . Please read what I said and don't put wrong  interpretation on it .

F anything you are the idiot for failing to comprehend plain English. And kindly please don't associate my remarks with others. 

Also remember forums are for all views not just yours if put reasonable and are not racist etc.,
    You are a dinosaur pal. If you think being shy is the same as having depression or severe anxiety then you are more stupid than I originally thought . 
    It is a comparison and he didn't say it was the same. I appreciate where you are coming from but you aren't helping yourself or your point making such extreme judgements on others. People who feel passionately about a subject would do better taking time to understand others like they want them to understand the issue being discussed; rather than let their 'passion' take over
  • Options
    edited June 2021

I now realise I am dealing with a person who clearly has no time for anyone's views but his own.

A forum is " A place or medium where views can  exchanged and discussed " .

Sadly you are at the level where your second repost is an insult.  

My issue is with sports people  and contracts. Dear Jesus, do you really lack such basic understanding. 

Plus she took the money , banked it and then cried off. 

I don't buy that any more than I accepted another contract reneging money keeping sports person called Taylor was right either. 
    This tennis player has enough  money to get the best mental health care. Personally I think she needs to man up. She had just played a game of tennis in the spot light.  

One of  daughters had to abort a child for medical reasons. She needed help and believe me answering a fee questions from the press is very minor compared with that. Luckily her firm helped with her counselling in her employment package. So did we. 

She now acts as a councillor in house for her firm.

Before you gob of consider what you say. 

And I am not your mate so don't address me as thus.

Uh oh.....  :D
  • Options
    Was she forced to take up these sponsorships? Just play tennis.