Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Naomi Osaka & mental health

Comments

• Options
    I have to say I have felt suspicious of a number of celebs who have played the mental health angle and it doesn't always ring true to me. 

Sports people don't set out to be celebrities, they set out to be top sports people. Fame gets thrust upon them if they are successful at their sport. Some love the fame that comes as a by product, some loath it, but if you pulled aside 12 year old Andy Murray and asked him what his ambition was, it'd be to win Wimbledon because, to a British person, it's the most prestigious tennis tournament. I very much doubt he would have said he wanted to win it so he could get on the telly and in the papers and leverage his fame to make a load of money.

He has never really played the PR game.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    She's been treated awfully in this.

Press conferences are less important than any individual player's mental health.

Absolute scum.
    It's part of her job/contract - why should she be exempt if other players aren't. Has she communicated effectively with the tennis authorities regarding this?

• Options
    edited May 2021
    The two statements are clearly written by two different pens. The first is hers which appears to be straight from the heart and the second by her PR machine. Apparently the organisers tried to reach out to her find a resolution after the first statement but she declined to interact with them. There was an interesting debate on itv4 between John inverdale, Jim courier and Anne Keothavong. They seemed to think that she hasn’t handled the situation particularly well and that the pastoral care of her had been lacking. They were of course unanimous in that her welfare was the most important thing.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Press conferences are less important than any individual player's mental health.

Good luck treating Nadal, Djokovic, Murray or Federer in that way.

Both sexist and bullying behaviour.
    They haven't refused to do the interviews. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Absolute scum.
    It's part of her job/contract - why should she be exempt if other players aren't. Has she communicated effectively with the tennis authorities regarding this?

I don't care if she's communicated effectively.

If she's said she's not doing interviews due to her mental health issues and has communicated just that, then that should be enough. 
    What if people weren't telling the truth? 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Absolute scum.

If she's said she's not doing interviews due to her mental health issues and has communicated just that, then that should be enough. 
    Then it's sad that anyone would falsely use mental health as an excuse, but you can't ignore it just because there's a chance someone may be lying. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    She had to speak to the press and do interviews. All the players have too. She was very naive to think otherwise. The sponsors pay an absolute fortune and the prize money on offer is incredible. Without sponsors and tv money the players would earn a fraction of what they get now. 
    She doesn’t have to speak to anybody.  If the sponsors want to pay an absolute fortune, that’s their look out.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Reading some of the comments on here it just goes to show that some people don’t have a clue how anxiety can overwhelm a person . I’ve been there. 

I hope she has the support she needs . 

I think the general issue is that people are suspicious of celebrities sometimes which is separate to the mental health issue. 

Unless their mental health issue is genuine.

Then it is absolutely NOT a separate issue and is cruel to be suspicious of someone without anything to support that.

Who you are in terms of publicity does not negate the fact that you can be as mentally unwell as the next person.

How many celebrities have to take their own lives before people get that we ALL have mental health that needs taking care of and we are all at risk of becoming mentally unwell no matter who we are or what jobs we do.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Absolute scum.

Then it's sad that anyone would falsely use mental health as an excuse, but you can't ignore it just because there's a chance someone may be lying. 
    Not saying to ignore it obviously but as with physical health just for it to be evidenced. It doesn't seem an unreasonable request.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Absolute scum.

What if you ignore it and something happens?

How often do people with Mental Health conditions have to have an episode to be believed? 

• Options
    I mean what goes on at these pressers that’s so bad, it affects someone’s mental health? Just had a look at her Instagram and she doesn’t seem that introverted. I’ll be interested to see what her fellow pros say and how this plays out. I doubt any sponsor or organisation wants to be associated in a negative way to do with mental health. 
    https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/fair-or-not-johanna-konta-and-the-ordeal-of-tennis-press-conferences

Tennis used to be my second favourite sport.  It tells you how far it has slipped from that position by the fact I have never even heard of Naomi -so I looked her up to find that she's Japanese and ranked second in the World (and I've never heard of the top-ranked player either).

Anyway, I digress. But let's assume that you are Japanese. Add into the mix that you are exhausted from a hard match and know you have another one tomorrow.  These pressers go on for an hour or so after a game, they will be in a variety of languages and you are having to concentrate really hard to understand the questions and come up with a reply that doesn't sound dumb knowing that vast numbers of people are hanging on your every word and all too ready to make fun of you if you mess up.

As Johanna Konta found out, people will ask you stupidly dumb questions when you are both physically and mentally exhausted.  This cannot be an easy thing to deal with. If you doubt that try giving it a go sometime. I know from my own experiences of being a witness in court on numerous occasions and having to deal with members of the press that these things are far from being a pleasant experience. I found them very difficult to deal with.  I wouldn't wish the attentions of the media on anyone.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Talal said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Absolute scum.

Not saying to ignore it obviously but as with physical health just for it to be evidenced. It doesn't seem an unreasonable request.

You obviously don't get how hard it is to prove/disprove. It can take weeks or months of sessions with a counselor or psychologist to receive an official diagnosis.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Absolute scum.

How often do people with Mental Health conditions have to have an episode to be believed? 

That's the job of medical professionals not tennis authorities. If I wanted an exemption I'd expect to provide proof- that's the way the world operates. 

The tennis authorities surely have to follow guidelines? 

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Absolute scum.

That's the job of medical professionals not tennis authorities. If I wanted an exemption I'd expect to provide proof- that's the way the world operates. 

The tennis authorities surely have to follow guidelines? 

If a family member came to you and said they were struggling mentally, would you ask them to provide a doctor's note or would you try to help them? 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Talal said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Absolute scum.

You obviously don't get how hard it is to prove/disprove. It can take weeks or months of sessions with a counselor or psychologist to receive an official diagnosis.
    I do realise and she has said she has an ongoing issue with social anxiety/depression. If you were trying to get time off work with depression you would need to provide a certificate.

Guidelines have to be followed surely?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Talal said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Absolute scum.

I do realise and she has said she has an ongoing issue with social anxiety/depression. If you were trying to get time off work with depression you would need to provide a certificate.

Guidelines have to be followed surely?
    Or you would jack the job in
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    The two statements are clearly written by two different pens. The first is hers which appears to be straight from the heart and the second by her PR machine. Apparently the organisers tried to reach out to her find a resolution after the first statement but she declined to interact with them. There was an interesting debate on itv4 between John inverdale, Jim courier and Anne Keothavong. They seemed to think that she hasn’t handled the situation particularly well and that the pastoral care of her had been lacking. They were of course unanimous in that her welfare was the most important thing.

These kinds of situations are usually nuanced and complicated. I don't doubt that Osaka could've done things differently and perhaps better, but in today's society, where attitudes towards mental health have changed a lot even in just the last couple of years, the tournament organiser's response feels, to me, a bit tone deaf. I think the onus is more on the tennis governing bodies to set the right example here, not so much Osaka.
  • Options
    It would be nice to see at least some support from fellow players
  • Options
    Serena has come out in support - “I wish I could give her a hug ... “
  • Options
    Serena has come out in support - “I wish I could give her a hug ... “
    when asked during her post match interview? 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Meanwhile in Coco Gauff’s post match interview...

• Options
    I hope that the young lady gets the help and support she so clearly needs and can deal with her issues away from the glare of the spotlight. Anxiety issues can come in many forms and can overwhelm some people and shouldn’t be taken lightly

I don’t get the need for interviews with players immediately after games whether that is tennis, football or cricket etc. Most are banal and the interviewers ask such stupid questions anyway I don’t see the point. A player scores the winner in the FA Cup final and is asked how do you feel after scoring the winning goal, err? Why bother.
    Because they’re raw and topical. You honestly telling me you didn’t enjoy Bauer and Bielik’s interview after the final?