Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Herne Bay experience any lifers living close?

Comments

• Options
    Curb It - apart from the all you can eat breakfast we have not eaten at the Imperial, we prefer the Nepalese restaurant mentioned above but the fish restaurant on the front  is supposed to be excellent.  We will probably be there a day or two earlier as we like to disappear for a day or so during Folk Week.  Will use this time to investigate Samdgate and Seabrook further.

• Options
    mendonca said:
    I enjoy walking into Broadstairs from Ramsgate, starting off by parking at the Boating Pool. 

For my taste, the pub and restaurant scene lacks a bit of variety and flair, so I use Broadstairs as a destination for an 'off peak' trip midweek.
    We go the other way - thru the park or along the beach and have lunch at Flavours by Kumar
    or slum it in Wetherspoons.

Think we have quantity over quality restaurant wise in Broadstairs - where do you feed ?

• Options
    Interesting question clb74, except I am your parents age!.
    I would not expect my sons  to worry about us to be coming down here, Ironically we are hoping to move part of the way back, to look after there two children, with another two arriving in August. Despite having twins ourselves, most of our friends have made it quite clear, that they will not be used as 'on tap' child minders.
    However with a daughter 'up North' we see little of them, and miss them dearly.

When we moved down here, yes there was a price reduction, but  now not in this area as  great as it was.
    I guess it is like Blackheath and Charlton, and I was born and lived in Charlton! .

The Pandemic, and people working from home has made  people 'review' there lifestyle. Sadly, both sets of parents had passed away, and the wife  had had her fill of teaching, and took redundancy. There is also a great variety of clubs, and interest down in Hythe, I belong to several art groups, photographic clubs, although most are on Zoom at present. 
    I was also before the pandemic, heavily involved with the arts in Folkestone, and blues music, but like most places that has been hit really badly the past 15 months. 
    Hopefully that will resolve itself shortly, having met several 'creatives' there seems to be far more folk prepared to explore  these groups than I originally expected. 
    We do not regret moving down here, but we did know the area quite well, and also rented for a week down here, near to  the street where we bought. 

However the M20 trip looks a bit daunting, especially with the rolling barrier ready to be imposed when the French blockade Dover is a bit daunting.

Still no idea wether we will move  to West Malling, but  I guess we shall see?
    Personally I can see us staying down here, with my dodgy knee cap, due to  football from decades ago, I am waiting for the operation  date to be confirmed ...... it could be some time. Meanwhile, I hope to enjoy retirement in a great place to live.

• Options
    Curb It - apart from the all you can eat breakfast we have not eaten at the Imperial, we prefer the Nepalese restaurant mentioned above but the fish restaurant on the front  is supposed to be excellent.  We will probably be there a day or two earlier as we like to disappear for a day or so during Folk Week.  Will use this time to investigate Samdgate and Seabrook further.

Sorry I meant trying the Nepalese not the hotel.

Ate in the seafront restaurant when in Sandgate for a week in April. It has changed now.it’s called Hythe Bay bar and grill. Going there one of the nights. 
  • Options
    Interesting article on the impact of the pandemic on seaside property prices, including Herne Bay. Lots of second homers or those no longer needing to commute is drastically effecting the market, especially for those looking to rent. 

I've heard of estate agents around my area bounding around increases in house prices of 20%+ plus for the last year. Ridiculous, but when 2 bed Airbnb's are renting at £2k a week down my road at the moment maybe not so outrageous. 
  • Options
    Where's the lovely sunshine predicted.  It's freezing down here.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Was also down in herne bay today and see another addick wearing a charlton jacket. And you're right it was bloody cold and miserable. Got back to sunny barnehurst and burnt me forehead 🙄
  • Options
    Keeping on topic, just seen Solly on the pier in Bay with his kids. Looks well, wearing a Bowyer out Tshirt still mind.
  • Options
    Was also down in herne bay today and see another addick wearing a charlton jacket. And you're right it was bloody cold and miserable. Got back to sunny barnehurst and burnt me forehead 🙄
    We were also down on Sunday. Weather was ok I thought but we had a meal booked at The Minnis Birchington at 6pm outside and by then the wind picked up and it was damn cold. We also returned to Barnehurst 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well...... House valued and should be on the market by the weekend. This moving to the coast idea is starting to get real 😬
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Well...... House valued and should be on the market by the weekend. This moving to the coast idea is starting to get real 😬
    Will you still go North of the river?  :)
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Will you still go North of the river?  :)
    Early retirement planned   Just think of all that golf time ⛳️😬
  • Options
    Think coast life is overrated personally if seen as a better life. Temps always a lot cooler than inland and dreadful winters also 
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    Good to hear a few different responses.
  • Options
    Drove down to Tankerton this evening for a swim. Was only cold for the first 10 seconds or so. Love having that option 10/15 minutes from the house. We moved from Maidstone and our lives are so much richer for having made the move. We must be down by the coast 2/3 times a week.

Surprisingly, the coast wasn't what drew us this way. We just liked Canterbury and found a nice house. The coast has just been a huge bonus!
  • Options
    As I’ve commented earlier up the list - I live in Herne Bay.  Was in the centre of town after moving down from Orpington in 2015 but recently moved up the hill to outskirts of Beltinge.  Love it down here, but had a ride out on my Bonneville last week to Deal and visited the castle there and sea front…another beautiful seaside resort well worth a look.
  • Options
    Think coast life is overrated personally if seen as a better life. Temps always a lot cooler than inland and dreadful winters also 
    It never fails to amaze me when go away to the Suffolk coast, Dorset etc, if it’s 25 degrees in Sunny Sidcup then it’s 17 degrees out on the coast. Amazing how it can be so different in just a couple of hours 
  • Options
    I am always amazed (in a smiley way) as to how many people park up to Herne Bay, and base themselves on the builders sand right in front of the parked cars by the pier. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It never fails to amaze me when go away to the Suffolk coast, Dorset etc, if it’s 25 degrees in Sunny Sidcup then it’s 17 degrees out on the coast. Amazing how it can be so different in just a couple of hours 
    You can drive from Bromley to Biggin Hill and that's like 2 different Countries.
  • Options
    Thing is what about when you get the days in october/November February/march when the weathers quite pleasant and hardly anyone is down there.
  • Options

Having lived by the sea (well. 700 yds away) for the last nine years I will not move inland.

Will argue about the winters being dreadful – since we have been here we have not had the snow that North Kent / South London has had, Places like Dymchurch and surrounding areas might be a little more exposed but here in Broadstairs we have a little protection. Yes, summer days are a couple of degrees off SE9 / SE7, mainly due to sea breezes but this Mon/Tues/today it is appreciated. With regards to the remark about coastal life being overrated – it depends where you end up and of course you need to experience before commenting. As I said earlier our social life and quality of life here is far superior to anything we experienced in Eltham / Bexleyheath.

Will finish on the only negative …

FUCKING SEAGULL …

Down here they are the size of pit ponies and perform extracts from Riverdance on our conservatory roof also some bugger had half of my sandwich in the garden yesterday and repay you by shitting on the car.

Obviously the sea and beach, but can I ask how else your quality of life is far superior? 
    I'm thinking about it...few years time still.
    But I've grown up in London and living here you get used to certain things like 24/7 shops, transport etc. And Charlton of course.
    Ive lived and worked in Spain,France, Italy,Holland,Denmark and loved it but sometimes  I felt isolated and lonely. 
    I have kids, not living with me, but for that reason I will stay in England but I'm fed up of London if I'm honest and probably selfishly looking for an in-between. Not too isolated if you know what I mean.

• Options

OrpingtonRED:

Take a look at my initial post, probably on page 2.

Fresher/cleaner air, nice walks, people say hello and talk to you in bars/pubs, big choice of eating/drinking places all within walking distance (for me) in fact everything on my doorstep (except CAFC) Decent music scene and place doesn't close down during winter (except some restaurants may close on Tuesday. This applies to Broadstairs, there are quieter resorts but Broadstairs is lively enough without being tacky.

• Options

OrpingtonRED:

Take a look at my initial post, probably on page 2.

Fresher/cleaner air, nice walks, people say hello and talk to you in bars/pubs, big choice of eating/drinking places all within walking distance (for me) in fact everything on my doorstep (except CAFC) Decent music scene and place doesn't close down during winter (except some restaurants may close on Tuesday. This applies to Broadstairs, there are quieter resorts but Broadstairs is lively enough without being tacky.

Thank you. I've read your previous post that I missed.
  • Options
    What are 24/7 shops? Don’t get them in deepest, darkest Sussex ;-))

It all depends as to what you term quality of life I suppose. If you want quiet country pubs, lovely countryside, walks along the beach, abundance of wildlife, quaint towns and villages, castles to visit, country parks, clear night skies, less people about etc etc then you can’t beat it. If you want hassle and bustle, shopping, banged out Weatherspoons etc then it’s probably not for you. Been living near Battle, ten minutes from the coast, for ten years now. Wild horses couldn’t drag me back. And the winters are actually quite mild near the coast and I’d beg to differ about the temperature being a lot lower.  
  • Options

Having lived by the sea (well. 700 yds away) for the last nine years I will not move inland.

Will argue about the winters being dreadful – since we have been here we have not had the snow that North Kent / South London has had, Places like Dymchurch and surrounding areas might be a little more exposed but here in Broadstairs we have a little protection. Yes, summer days are a couple of degrees off SE9 / SE7, mainly due to sea breezes but this Mon/Tues/today it is appreciated. With regards to the remark about coastal life being overrated – it depends where you end up and of course you need to experience before commenting. As I said earlier our social life and quality of life here is far superior to anything we experienced in Eltham / Bexleyheath.

FUCKING SEAGULL …

Down here they are the size of pit ponies and perform extracts from Riverdance on our conservatory roof also some bugger had half of my sandwich in the garden yesterday and repay you by shitting on the car.

Gonna sound odd but the Broadstairs seagull seems to be a complete different species in their utter shithousery and anti social behaviour.   Normally you can jog a flock of seagulls on with relative ease but the ones on Broadstairs beach are relentless sly fuckers.  

One literally nicked a chicken leg out of the missus's hand a few years back.   Getting any item of food out on Broadstairs beach is a magnet akin someone dishing out free WKDs in the Venue in the 90s for the crowd of shrieking birds it attracts.

Noticed one of the beach- side restaurants had a faux hawk kite flying from its roof when I got there and by the time we cracked open the sarnies could see why.

Never known it to that extent at any other beaches.
  • Options

FUCKING SEAGULL …

Gonna sound odd but the Broadstairs seagull seems to be a complete different species in their utter shithousery and anti social behaviour.   Normally you can jog a flock of seagulls on with relative ease but the ones on Broadstairs beach are relentless sly fuckers.  

One literally nicked a chicken leg out of the missus's hand a few years back.   Getting any item of food out on Broadstairs beach is a magnet akin someone dishing out free WKDs in the Venue in the 90s for the crowd of shrieking birds it attracts.

Noticed one of the beach- side restaurants had a faux hawk kite flying from its roof when I got there and by the time we cracked open the sarnies could see why.

Never known it to that extent at any other beaches.
    Seagulls in Hastings are pretty tasty...