Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Herne Bay experience any lifers living close?

Comments

• Options
    Living in Broadstairs for a year. Loving it. Wake up every morning to a wonderful sea view. Lots of walking. Now, how do I get to the Valley for the first match...
  • Options
    Living in Broadstairs for a year. Loving it. Wake up every morning to a wonderful sea view. Lots of walking. Now, how do I get to the Valley for the first match...
    This is kind of our thinking, we love walking but South East London has lost its appeal over the last year. We ended up staying for a large part of last year in Lanzarote (where we aim to retire) near the sea and it just worked for us.  So deciding to move out of London to have that while we are still working in London is the aim. What we can get in North Kent vers London is also far more.  

Again thanks to everyone who has commented, good to know some many are in the area and enjoying it. 
  • Options
    I don’t live far from Herne Bay …. Bexley. Takes about 45mins #You’reWelcome
  • Options
    Carter said:
    You have a good selection of places I wouldn't mind living down that way too. Westgate and Broadstairs are nice Margate and Birchington are up and coming/re-emerging if they haven't already been priced up as such. Faversham and Teynham are nice but the locals are less welcoming. Whitstable in my humble opinion whilst being good for an afternoon on the piss is now too full of Islington obnoxious poshos every weekend.

Good property value in Herne Bay and the surrounding area however be prepared to not return to the bright lights once you move down there. Fingers crossed this new way of working for office staff stays and you get to work from home or find something down that way and keep a good work and life balance 
    Agree about Whitstable lovely to visit for us but not worth the price when it's an easy walk along the coast with regular bus back! 

Both our jobs will be remote, permanent for me and at worst 2 days for Mrs S. Train into London is not to bad at about 90 minutes and the few flexible season ticket if coming to the area is a bonus.  
    Whitstable is lovely but bloody expensive to park there, and the charges go on till 21.30. If you can take the walk, park at the station all day for about £3.50.
  • Options
    Moved from Barnehurst to Beltinge (Herne Bay) about six years ago. Moved mainly for my special needs Daughter as opportunities and options here for her are excellent compared to Bexley. Complete change of life and all for the better. Didn't know so many lifers lived in this area
    Me neither!  We'll have to have a pub meeting up for an away Sky game or something when things are all a bit more normal!
    Sounds good to me
  • Options
    It's only an hours drive to home games and I park about 20 min walk from ground. Leave Beltinge about 1 and in my seat by 2.45.
  • Options
    Hello Strasburger, lived in Herne Bay (the Hampden end), moved from Petts Wood about
    23 years ago, love it here. I know Beltinge is very nice. Also know a few Addicks supporters who live there.
    Think you will be happy here, quite a few down here from Eltham, Bexley, Bexleyheath etc.
    Get the Valley Express for home games to save looking for a parking spot and be
    able to have a beer or two.
  • Options
    Moved from Barnehurst to Beltinge (Herne Bay) about six years ago. Moved mainly for my special needs Daughter as opportunities and options here for her are excellent compared to Bexley. Complete change of life and all for the better. Didn't know so many lifers lived in this area
    Me neither!  We'll have to have a pub meeting up for an away Sky game or something when things are all a bit more normal!
    The micro pub in the High Street - Parkerville would be good.  Mark the owner is a life long Charlton fan!
  • Options
    I've lived in Whitstable for 14 years now. I was brought up in Broadstairs and lived in London in between Broadstairs and Whitstable for over a decade. I agree, Whitstable is getting much busier and whilst it's great to have visitors, I'm finding it too busy. I would happily move away to somewhere quieter but the wife loves it here. Herne Bay is much improved with investment and small businesses over the last ten years. I like walking or cycling across the sea front to Herne Bay for a coffee or drink. You'll probably get a lot more for your money purchasing a house in Herne Bay than Whitstable. Beltinge is a nice quiet area. 
  • Options
    Hi, I’ve lived on the outskirts of the town in Herne Bay for 12 years now. We love it here. Walk the dog down the front most days. Lovely local walks both ways, along the cliffs to Reculver and beyond or to Tankerton, Whitstable in the other direction. Currently HB has three micro pubs, with another on the way apparently, plus a pub on the pier! 
    Also I previously lived in Beltinge for a year. It’s a nice village with a couple of convenience stores, a few takeaways and a pub. Just to say there is disquiet among locals there about a large housing development proposed to be built on the edge of the village (Osborne Gardens). This may not be a factor for you but thought it worth mentioning. 
    I had no idea so many Addicks lived locally either! A meet up in Parkerville sometime seems a good idea. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chartham, Herne Bay, Bridge, Beltinge, all good places to live and as others have said, you will never want to go back. 
  • Options

Moved from SE9 to CT10 (Broadstairs) 9 years ago – early retirement.

It's great, would thoroughly recommend it.

In my opinion:

Herne Bay is nice and better value property wise to Broadstairs.

Whitstable was our initial choice but after a couple of visits there and to Broadstairs our mind was made up. I think Whitstable is overrated.

Westgate is nice but quiet.

Margate is Margate (not a fan)

Ramsgate is good in parts.

I like Deal and Hythe a lot

Folkestone is OK.

Why I love Broadstairs:

From where I live (fairly central and including St Peters)) I can walk to 25+ Pubs, Micro pubs and Bars. 25+ restaurants and cafes and numerous coffee shops.

Half a dozen sandy beaches.

Good music scene (pre plague) mostly Blues and some folk)

We have the Blues Bash 3rd wk Feb. when most of the pubs put on acts over 2 days/3 evenings

and Folk Week 2nd wk August when the place gets banged out and just about every pub/bar puts on acts sometimes twice a day.

One other thing that cemented Broadstairs as our choice is its Dog Friendly – most Pubs/Bars allow dogs in fact it may be compulsory to own a dog !

For kids there are Gala weekends and quite a few firework nights

There are at least 4 other lifers in Broadstairs.

Give it a try for a day or two preferably weekdays as last year and almost certainly this year the place is manic a weekends/

Also most kind of shop down the High St. and Westwood Cross Shopping/Industrial Estate is 5 mins drive away as is QEQM hospital.

Stacks more I could mention – one downside Valley coach trip takes forever.

Good luck in your search.

Bang on. Why we are loving Broadstairs. Though we don't have a dog... yet.
  • Options
    Moved to birchington 10 years ago. My mum in herne bay now 4 years. We love it. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Moved from SE9 to CT10 (Broadstairs) 9 years ago – early retirement.

It's great, would thoroughly recommend it.

In my opinion:

Herne Bay is nice and better value property wise to Broadstairs.

Whitstable was our initial choice but after a couple of visits there and to Broadstairs our mind was made up. I think Whitstable is overrated.

Westgate is nice but quiet.

Margate is Margate (not a fan)

Ramsgate is good in parts.

I like Deal and Hythe a lot

Folkestone is OK.

Why I love Broadstairs:

From where I live (fairly central and including St Peters)) I can walk to 25+ Pubs, Micro pubs and Bars. 25+ restaurants and cafes and numerous coffee shops.

Half a dozen sandy beaches.

Good music scene (pre plague) mostly Blues and some folk)

We have the Blues Bash 3rd wk Feb. when most of the pubs put on acts over 2 days/3 evenings

and Folk Week 2nd wk August when the place gets banged out and just about every pub/bar puts on acts sometimes twice a day.

One other thing that cemented Broadstairs as our choice is its Dog Friendly – most Pubs/Bars allow dogs in fact it may be compulsory to own a dog !

For kids there are Gala weekends and quite a few firework nights

There are at least 4 other lifers in Broadstairs.

Give it a try for a day or two preferably weekdays as last year and almost certainly this year the place is manic a weekends/

Also most kind of shop down the High St. and Westwood Cross Shopping/Industrial Estate is 5 mins drive away as is QEQM hospital.

Stacks more I could mention – one downside Valley coach trip takes forever.

Good luck in your search.

Soon to be 5 🤞🤞🤞
  • Options
    If I could I would happily move to the Kent coastline.
  • Options
    Good news Taxi Lad - Broadstairs Reds five a side team sorted.
    Dodgy knees and age mean i;m in goal.  Get Strasburger in and we have a sub.

also your moniker indicates mates rate for airport runs ?
  • Options
    We live in Chestfield between Whitstable and herne bay. Nice quiet area easy drive to Canterbury etc. Nice pub and golf course  Valley express pick up point half a mile away iwould never move back to Bromley 
  • Options
    DPFC said:
    We live in Chestfield between Whitstable and herne bay. Nice quiet area easy drive to Canterbury etc. Nice pub and golf course  Valley express pick up point half a mile away iwould never move back to Bromley 

We are having lunch in The Old Barn the week after next - great pub with decent grub ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still hankering after Sandgate. Have visited many times over the years. It has all we need a few pubs and places to eat. Just a shame the property is going up so much. I could settle down the road in Hythe too. 

How do you cope with the crowds in Broadstairs in the summer? 

When the time comes will definitely look all round but Sandgate is current favourite. 

• Options
    Left Sandgate off my list - was including it with Hythe as just about walkable from there.
    A ;little gem of a place but appears a little quiet but if we moved away from here Sandgate would be on our list.
    The crowds last year especially at weekends would have been acceptable if they took litter away and didnt shit in the street (which actually happened near Botany Bay) discarded used nappies as well as 
    those little takeaway BBQs were left on the beaches.
    Anyway i am not a Nimby and god knows we need their revenue after the last 18 months.
    Broadstairs is more of a year round living resort and unlike some resorts in Kent it is not desolate in 
    winter.  Folk week packs the place out and restaurants need to be booked in advance of FW starting.
    We head off to Hythe (the Imperial) for a day or two during FW but we also  take the opportunity to take in some acts as the vibe in the town is great during this time.
    The Broadies (locals) tell us DFLs (Down from London) that we have a micro climate, which is Bollocks ...

Next time you visit Sandgate Pop along to Hythe - the Taste of Katmandhu Nepalese restaurant is recommended, slightly different from Indian and nice staff.

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    Still hankering after Sandgate. Have visited many times over the years. It has all we need a few pubs and places to eat. Just a shame the property is going up so much. I could settle down the road in Hythe too. 

When the time comes will definitely look all round but Sandgate is current favourite. 

Good choice Curb it, it can be a bit quite, and too many of the shops only open up at the weekend, Seabrook is a good choice as you can walk to both Sandgate and Hythe  very easily, and a lot less expensive especially away from the seafront, mind you, most people want the sea front! .They are also moving the coastal road, so do your research! There is going to be a large development along 'Princes parade' and it has divided opinion among locals. There is a great area from the Great Norfolk Hotel to the lower leas park, which has a Cafe and bar, along the coastal path, and you can walk into Folkestone, plenty of bars  around the harbour arm. 
  • Options
    My question to those who have moved down the coast.
    Did the move turn out like you thought it would?
    A move to the coast is something me and the wife have thought about doing in about 10 years time.
    The question I ask myself is , would we top up being back up this way half the time.
    Both sets of parents would be around 80 then and if they were of I'll health I know the wife would be back up this way quite a lot.
    Did the economics of the move to the coast turn out different to what you thought it would?
  • Options
    Am very happy with the move, it is a good fit for us but we are retirees.
    Do not expect to sell a flat in Swanley and buy a 3 bed detached bungalow - it doesnt work out like that.  Basically we sold our 3 bed semi in New Eltham and bought a 3 Double bed detached bungalow with garage and conservatory and had enough left over to fit a new kitchen to be fitted.
    I miss popping on the train and being in the West End in 28 minutes and i have only been to the valley once in the last 5 years but last summer i was grateful to be down here.  Obviously you will see family less which is a big bonus but friends tend to use you as their 2nd holiday destination.  Have talked to lots of people in bars down here who hail from SE London / North Kent, in fact i think 25-30 percent do.  Walking on the beaches gave our elderly Arthritic Springer Spaniel a new lease of life and gave her2 or 3 more years.  Cleaner air also.    Many more pluses than minuses IMO but needs careful thought.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I enjoy walking into Broadstairs from Ramsgate, starting off by parking at the Boating Pool. 

For my taste, the pub and restaurant scene lacks a bit of variety and flair, so I use Broadstairs as a destination for an 'off peak' trip midweek.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Good choice Curb it, it can be a bit quite, and too many of the shops only open up at the weekend, Seabrook is a good choice as you can walk to both Sandgate and Hythe  very easily, and a lot less expensive especially away from the seafront, mind you, most people want the sea front! .They are also moving the coastal road, so do your research! There is going to be a large development along 'Princes parade' and it has divided opinion among locals. There is a great area from the Great Norfolk Hotel to the lower leas park, which has a Cafe and bar, along the coastal path, and you can walk into Folkestone, plenty of bars  around the harbour arm. 
    I love the two ladies that run the Norfolk. Good fun. I’d love to live that in that part! 

I’ve noticed that Seabrook is more reasonable. I like the idea of Sandgate for the quiet but have Folkestone and hythe as options for a night out. I think what they’ve done with Folkestone is fantastic. 

@Broadstairs_Red I’ve got a weekend in August at the Imperial. I’ve not eaten there yet so will see if we can go there. 
  • Options
    DPFC said:
    I'm a member at Chelsfield Golf Course, really nice place and course with some history to the club house. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    My question to those who have moved down the coast.
    Did the move turn out like you thought it would?
    A move to the coast is something me and the wife have thought about doing in about 10 years time.
    The question I ask myself is , would we top up being back up this way half the time.
    Both sets of parents would be around 80 then and if they were of I'll health I know the wife would be back up this way quite a lot.
    Did the economics of the move to the coast turn out different to what you thought it would?
    I did the move for my special needs Daughter as so much for her here and goes to a farm 4 days a week. She loves it as loves animals also daily visits to the beach in the summer which she rwally enjoys, literally 10 mins from my front door. It's the best thing I could of done for her and myself even though I have no one down here which can be lonely at times. My Mum stills lives in Bexleyheath and make weekly visits to her infact more lately as she has been unwell, also have to drop my Daughter at her Mums once a month and that's in Lee Green. Works out perfectly well when Charlton are at home. 
  • Options
    Also will add my Daughter and myself now have a tradition which we could of never had if still living in Barnehurst. Christmas Day walk on the beach, before the drive to visit daily. Lovely way to start Christmas Day.