Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hodgson calls it a day.

Comments

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    I won't wish him well. Did a shite job with England over three tournaments and a decent job for Palace. Can't think of many managers we should dislike more!
    You won’t wish a man well who is retiring after a long fairly successful career? Someone like Roy regardless of the Palace connection?

I wish him a long, healthy and happy retirement. 
    I don't wish anybody ill health, but I can't wish any Palace manager well. Well maybe one who relegates them.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Is Dowie still around?
    Just spotted him in a cafeteria in Croydon 
    you should have stuck 19 sugars in your tea and thrown it at the c***
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    Let's hope whomever the manager is that comes in, they spend an absolute bucket load of cash on awful players and get them relegated.  That they then go bust, their owners walk,  they get deducted 10 points and are relegated again. 

Then the administrators sell their ground and training ground for peanuts; they get relegated again, Southall buys them and asset strips anything else still there, they are relegated again then go out of business whilst having their entire history and records wiped from all records and that Selhurst becomes a municipal dump with Zaha working on the gate.
    Do you not like Palace?
    I would rather spend an evening with the Southalls than watch Match of the Day at any point in the last 8 years such is my loathing.

Given his obvious taste for beer and takeaways, I'd happily spend an evening there.

Mens Football Neville Southall standing up for LGBT rights in football   Morning Star

• Options
    The beginning of the end, about time too.

Especially if they get a Lampard type in, they survive because they are a well drilled organised difficult side, with a spark of magic from Zaha.  

You can’t go from this to a modern footballing side in a summer, unless they spend ridiculously big, which history says they won’t. And Zaha is ageing and getting more injury prone.

22/23 we play them twice, promote this post please admin.
  • Options
    Woy
  • Options
    The beginning of the end, about time too.

Especially if they get a Lampard type in, they survive because they are a well drilled organised difficult side, with a spark of magic from Zaha.  

You can’t go from this to a modern footballing side in a summer, unless they spend ridiculously big, which history says they won’t. And Zaha is ageing and getting more injury prone.

22/23 we play them twice, promote this post please admin.
    Eze is out until next year.

Their two best players by a mile.
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    Let's hope whomever the manager is that comes in, they spend an absolute bucket load of cash on awful players and get them relegated.  That they then go bust, their owners walk,  they get deducted 10 points and are relegated again. 

Then the administrators sell their ground and training ground for peanuts; they get relegated again, Southall buys them and asset strips anything else still there, they are relegated again then go out of business whilst having their entire history and records wiped from all records and that Selhurst becomes a municipal dump with Zaha working on the gate.
    Do you not like Palace?
    I would rather spend an evening with the Southalls than watch Match of the Day at any point in the last 8 years such is my loathing.

Given his obvious taste for beer and takeaways, I'd happily spend an evening there.

Mens Football Neville Southall standing up for LGBT rights in football   Morning Star

Southall is worryingly obese.  He makes Shipperley look slim.
  • Options
    Which one is Southall, the front or the back? 
  • Options
    Which one is Southall, the front or the back? 
    He looks to be tipping 30 stones, why get like that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Hope Liverpool give him a 'nice' send off at the weekend. 10 goals would be a good start 😉
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Hope Liverpool give him a 'nice' send off at the weekend. 10 goals would be a good start 😉

I disagree. For me, this weekend is a rare occasion of wanting Palace to win a game.
    1) Makes pretty much zero difference to their season.
    2) Gives Hodgson a deserved send off.
    3) Potentially fucks Liverpool.

(To be fair, number 3 is the main reason) 😀
  • Options

I disagree. For me, this weekend is a rare occasion of wanting Palace to win a game.

My second team Liverpool......what’s your problem with them?
  • Options

Oh SoundAs what have you done? Cue 100 posts about how Scousers are the Devil’s spawn. See above for starters.
  • Options

I knew it!
  • Options

Word for word what I wished when I last blew out the candles on my birthday cake.
  • Options
    I quite like Hodgson, the right time for him to go as Stripey fans have been complaining about the "style " of football for some time. I hear Big Sam is available again :smiley:  
    Whoever it is that replaces him, I hope they're as big a success as Wayne Rooney at Derby. But they'll probably get someone good as they are the flukiest outfit going. I love how there was media b****cks about Dyche leaving Burnley and going there (I hope he doesn't) as it would be a step up. Yes, that's Burnley who have won things in the past and got European football since they went up against Palace whose record consists of losing the FA Cup Final twice. 
  • Options

Oh SoundAs what have you done? Cue 100 posts about how Scousers are the Devil’s spawn. See above for starters.
    Scousers are the spawn of the devil
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Have you missed anything?
  • Options
    He did a good job there .. I know in the Prem, all the clubs spend cash like drunken sailors. Hodgson has spent a good few quid like everyone else but spent pretty wisely and got value at the bottom end of the 'market' .. I suspect that Palace will go right down the tubes when he leaves, and presumably his 'right arm' Lewington will go with him .. At age 73 he must cure his football management addiction, put his feet up, spend a lot of the cash he must have stashed away and retire gracefully  B)  (That'll be the day )
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    I quite like Hodgson, the right time for him to go as Stripey fans have been complaining about the "style " of football for some time. I hear Big Sam is available again :smiley:  
    Whoever it is that replaces him, I hope they're as big a success as Wayne Rooney at Derby. But they'll probably get someone good as they are the flukiest outfit going. I love how there was media b****cks about Dyche leaving Burnley and going there (I hope he doesn't) as it would be a step up. Yes, that's Burnley who have won things in the past and got European football since they went up against Palace whose record consists of losing the FA Cup Final twice. 
    They've only lost the FA Cup Final once since they went up - just to keep the record straight - we don't want to give them false honours.
  • Options
    Good time to share my favourite Roy moment:

https://youtu.be/nGxEADmjDAo
    I can't believe that the journalist still asked him about the decision the 2nd time around! I would have liked to see R.H. thump him.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Parking the rivalry aside, can say what we want about Palace but they're run pretty well and managed to get a solid Prem foundation sorted at the exact right time in terms of PL money/TV rights. Its painful to admit. They're in a strong position.

They've already had the dodgy foreign appointment project go wrong, so I'd imagine having learned from that it will be a young Englishman. Eddie Howe/Frank Lampard seem the most obvious. They need young players to replace their old guard, I think a Lampard appointment would tempt Loftus-Cheek back, maybe a Gilmour loan and the most painful admission of the lot, I think Conor Gallagher is absolutely prime candidate to do a year somewhere like Palace. Lookman/Perreira of the relegated teams to fit in with Zaha & Eze behind a striker. Maybe they'd punt for Ivan Toney if Brentford dont go up. There's potential for them to build a young and exciting team.

To clarify, I hope NONE of the above happens and works out well for them. Just from a footballing point of view.

They could quite easily be at the position we were post Curbs. Most of the squad out of contract and/or old, terrible recruitment with wrong manager appointment over Summer and they are relegation fodder next year. 

That would be a nicer outcome...

Ps. Keeping to the thread, Hodgson's had a great career and seems a very decent bloke. Good luck to him in retirement 
  • Options
    I know I'm in the minority but I've always thought Hodgson to be a bit of a prick. The interview where he lost it for absolutely no reason has already been posted, but I also remember when he was sacked from England for managing two atrocious tournaments. He was asked to give a press conference about it the next day and he was an absolute spoiled child throughout, moping about how he didn't think he had to be there. When he was Liverpool manager he didn't understand how to manage the Liverpool fans and the club and constantly said negative, defeatist things even when he was playing a League Two team. He kept the same mentality he had as when he was at an underdog team and whenever anyone tried to point out the problems he refused to listen to any suggestions that he wasn't always right and needed to adapt. He's great for a team with low expectations but he refuses to accept that and thinks he's a top manager whose failures in good jobs are someone else's fault not his. I don't like that
  • Options
    He did a good job there .. I know in the Prem, all the clubs spend cash like drunken sailors. Hodgson has spent a good few quid like everyone else but spent pretty wisely and got value at the bottom end of the 'market' .. I suspect that Palace will go right down the tubes when he leaves, and presumably his 'right arm' Lewington will go with him .. At age 73 he must cure his football management addiction, put his feet up, spend a lot of the cash he must have stashed away and retire gracefully  B)  (That'll be the day )
    I doubt it, unfortunately.

De Boer aside, Parrish takes on decent managers.

(I must go to confession now). Please forgive for saying something nice about 'them'.
  • Options
    I doubt it, unfortunately.

De Boer aside, Parrish takes on decent managers.

(I must go to confession now). Please forgive for saying something nice about 'them'.
    Consider yourself grounded til the end of term.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Everything crossed that the jammy diving cheating Surrey twats play a wrongun here.

I can take us being crap, after all 80% of my Charlton supporting life has been bang average at best.  It is the fact that THEY are where THEY are that twists MY mellon.
  • Options
    Everything crossed that the jammy diving cheating Surrey twats play a wrongun here.

I can take us being crap, after all 80% of my Charlton supporting life has been bang average at best.  It is the fact that THEY are where THEY are that twists MY mellon.
    Talk about luck.......there was never a better time to get promoted into The Prem with the huge money that Sky pumped in the season they were promoted.
    Shit lucky they were.🤨