Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Have I missed anything?
  • Yep not sold on Paul Mullin, one good season. Novak/Ajose/Benson come to mind
  • Yep not sold on Paul Mullin, one good season. Novak/Ajose/Benson come to mind
    Yep a lot of his goals last season were pens and tap ins, not sure what he brings that Ronnie Schwartz does to be honest

• CH4RLTON said:
    Yep not sold on Paul Mullin, one good season. Novak/Ajose/Benson come to mind
    Yep a lot of his goals last season were pens and tap ins, not sure what he brings that Ronnie Schwartz does to be honest

Wasn’t there a rumour Schwartz was going back to Belgium? If so Mullin makes a bit more sense plus I doubt he’d be demanding too much. A gamble but could work out.
  • Got to love them, good job we have a good manager and background  staff who research our signings.
  • Dont know why but getting a touch of the Paul Bensons about Paul Mullin..... 
    Surely not, Benson was our number 1 striker for a while ( think we paid around £200k for him? )

Mullin will probably be third in pecking order and a free transfer.

Must admit I'm impressed by his goals video, and I should know better.
  • You lot want 3 strangled cats on this thread - voila

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m-DZQ80vEVI
    Oops I must have misread your post, I though you mentioned entertainment
  • Did that centre half sign in the end?
  • Sponsored links:

• Did that centre half sign in the end?
    The source Tuckered up the rumourer
  • cblock said:
    Got to love them, good job we have a good manager and background  staff who research our signings.
    This.  I wouldn't sign him based on this season's record.  I know some would.  Some are saying he is the "best of league 1 and 2" exactly the sort of player we should be signing etc.

If, and it's a big if, we do sign him I honestly doubt it's because Nigle was flicking through the Sun Goals pull out and saw the league 2 top goal scorers table.   Let's be honest that's why some people want us to sign him.  That and his amazing season at Morecambe ;-)

He will have been watched, as well as you can in the current circumstances, due diligence done etc.  More importantly Adkins will want him.  I think that's more than good enough for me and it should be for everyone else. 

• One of those dodgy journo accounts has posted this about Ibe. Probably reads CL for his source 😂
  • Ibe won't be commanding wages anything like what he's been on before, dumped out of a poor Derby team, there won't be clubs wanting him unless he agrees to a drastic wage cut
  • RedRobin said:

One of those dodgy journo accounts has posted this about Ibe. Probably reads CL for his source 😂

Would be more of a punt than a statement of intent. Hasn't really done particularly well anywhere he's been and sounds like he needs some time out after leaving derby.
  • edited July 2021

• edited July 2021
    mendonca said:
    These kind of signings very rarely work at Charlton. Avoid.
    I generally agree but this kid is a few years removed from a £15m move, plus, if it is true that it’s down to mental demons I think we must have the best manager in the world to deal with him. If Thomas is willing to pay the wages why not.
  • It's a risk for sure but it can't work out any worse than Marcus Maddison did...

Imagine if someone told you two years ago we were signing this player. I think everyone would've snapped your hand off for him.

• Crack pot theory alert.  Mullin will sign for Plymouth freeing up their current star striker for a move to........ 
  • Sponsored links:

• RedRobin said:
    One of those dodgy journo accounts has posted this about Ibe. Probably reads CL for his source 😂
    This screams Marcus Maddison
  • It's a risk for sure but it can't work out any worse than Marcus Maddison did...

Imagine if someone told you two years ago we were signing this player. I think everyone would've snapped your hand off for him.

Yeah but look at Marcus Maddison's stats he must be much better! He scores about as many goals as Johnny Williams.  Bring back Ricky Holmes!!!!! /sarcasm and fake outrage.

Ibe is still an outstanding prospect, who's best years could be still ahead of him.  Is he a footballer who is suffering from depression or is being a footballer contributing to or causing his depression?

I have no idea and I wouldn't like to guess.  If it's the later I hope he takes the time and help he needs to help himself. If it's the former maybe "getting back on the horse" is what he needs, maybe it can provide him with some escape and peace with a ball at his feet.

Good luck to the lad, what ever he does next. 
  • Was about to post this myself. He's not a man of many words, but some of his accounts were pretty moving. The message from a random 12 yr old Argentinian fan, helping him to step back from the brink after he posted about his depression. The effect that being robbed at gunpoint as a nineteen year old boy had on him. The significance his daughter has to his life and wellbeing. I hope that whatever becomes of his footballing career he can stay well, with the support of his family and friends.
  • edited July 2021
    there are obvious comparisons to Marcus Maddison or even Ravel Morrison when talking about Ibe.  He is a very talented player but clearly has flaws in his game and in his mental health. Sounds like he would be a bit of a project for Nigel and I can’t think of many better to do the “arm around  the shoulder “
    having said that he may well come with baggage and be best left to his own devices.  Intriguing one it must be said

i’m fairly sure he has made multi millions over his career so money shouldn’t really be his driver.  Much like Marcus Maddison he may just want to get back to playing football and enjoying life again without the pressure of his ridiculous price tags and wages.  £16m Bournemouth paid for him a few years ago….that’s a huge amount of pressure 
  • RedRobin said:

In the words of McGregor, who the fuck is that guy?

55 followers and looks like he works at an American legal firm.
  • One things for sure if we do sign Jordan Ibe (I don't think we will for what it's worth), I imagine a large section of the fan base won't be willing to give him a chance or defend him unlike they seemingly do with Schwartz. 
  • Ibe wouldn't have agreed to cancel his Derby contract if he didn't have a new club lined up already, or at least cast iron offers on the table.

However, Henry Irving broke this rumour and since he's quite a recognisable face for the club, I don't think he would have done it if it was a genuine tip-off.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!