Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunderland v Charlton | Sat 10 Apr | 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    I’d like to see Shinnie and JFC in the midfield we really struggled to put passes together against Doncaster and this might help.

• Options
    Shrew said:
    I’d like to see Shinnie and JFC in the midfield we really struggled to put passes together against Doncaster and this might help.

47%
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    I fear this match may reveal the gaping chasm in quality between the two sides which no amount of effort or positive talk will paper over,

3-0 Sunderland. 
    Is 12 points a gaping chasm in quality? Is their 59 goals scored to our 55 goals scored a gaping chasm in quality? 

Defensively you may have a point, but last time out we held them to a 0-0 draw with Pratley in-between Purrington and Famewo in defence.

We're unbeaten in 7 and nobody expects the play offs, but I cannot see this being a whipping.
    Sunderland gd : 30
    Charlton gd: 5.

12 points advantage.

Pretty gaping I'd say.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I fear this match may reveal the gaping chasm in quality between the two sides which no amount of effort or positive talk will paper over,

3-0 Sunderland. 
    Is 12 points a gaping chasm in quality? Is their 59 goals scored to our 55 goals scored a gaping chasm in quality? 

Defensively you may have a point, but last time out we held them to a 0-0 draw with Pratley in-between Purrington and Famewo in defence.

We're unbeaten in 7 and nobody expects the play offs, but I cannot see this being a whipping.
    Sunderland gd : 30
    Charlton gd: 5.

12 points advantage.

Pretty gaping I'd say.

• Options
    I was told by all the Bowyer loyalists the only reason we had not pissed the league was because Inniss an Famewo were not playing. Well here we go Adkins plays them and no way we concede. So it’s Sunderland 0 Charlton.... ?

• Options
    I was told by all the Bowyer loyalists the only reason we had not pissed the league was because Inniss an Famewo were not playing. Well here we go Adkins plays them and no way we concede. So it’s Sunderland 0 Charlton.... ?

I concur it is just a matter of how many we will score AND the Lee Bowyer Glee Club can wipe our noses in it!
  • Options
    2-1 away win. 
  • Options
    Famewo has to replace Pearce for me.
    Sunderland press very high and are very well organised when they do so, with their front players all closing down at the same time. 
    Full backs and midfielders push up at the same time trying to get players to play long. They wait until the ball has been played to a central defender and try and cut off the sideways pass. I don’t think this would suit Pearce. We need a player who can play out if the options are all closed down.
    For that reason I would play both Chucks and Stockley up front so we stand a chance of keeping possession if we do play long.

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Sunderland press very high and are very well organised when they do so, with their front players all closing down at the same time. 
    Full backs and midfielders push up at the same time trying to get players to play long. They wait until the ball has been played to a central defender and try and cut off the sideways pass. I don’t think this would suit Pearce. We need a player who can play out if the options are all closed down.
    For that reason I would play both Chucks and Stockley up front so we stand a chance of keeping possession if we do play long.

Yes replace the in-form one after a clean sheet for the one that may as well have scored an oggy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m not sure why I bought the pass as I expect to be cowering behind the sofa like a kid in the 70s watching Dr Who.

If we manage to nick the points I will join in with everyone else claiming I always had the faith.

Despite our desperate need for the points Sunderland away seems like a free hit. 

Come on you Addicks.
  • Options

I concur it is just a matter of how many we will score AND the Lee Bowyer Glee Club can wipe our noses in it!
    I don’t think anyone said that. But clearly people were creaming that Innis was back last week.

so you point is a bit void
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:

Yes replace the in-form one after a clean sheet for the one that may as well have scored an oggy.
    It’s all about opinions and I know there are a lot that like to keep a winning team together. There is a lot to be said for it, and Pearce has been playing well, but I personally believe that it is sometimes worth tweaking a team if it will help win the game. 
  • Options
    Sunderland are on a roll even without fans. Wyke on 22 goals? Wow? Unbelievable. We struggle to create and this match will be tough. 1-0 to Sunderland.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Sunderland are on a roll even without fans. Wyke on 22 goals? Wow? Unbelievable. We struggle to create and this match will be tough. 1-0 to Sunderland.
    It's strange how well he's done this season, he was dog poo in the play off final and only managed 5 goals the following season. No fans to get on his back. 

Even more impressively, Wycke has only scored more than one goal in three games. He has 9 goals from those three (2, 3 & 4) and is currently on a 4 game drought.

I wonder if it could be the reason Lyle has struggled this season? No fans to cheer/jeer him on?
  • Options
    Let's go at the Mackems hard and return from the North Esst with all.3 points....up the Addicks
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    It's strange how well he's done this season, he was dog poo in the play off final and only managed 5 goals the following season. No fans to get on his back. 

Even more impressively, Wycke has only scored more than one goal in three games. He has 9 goals from those three (2, 3 & 4) and is currently on a 4 game drought.

I wonder if it could be the reason Lyle has struggled this season? No fans to cheer/jeer him on?
    It helps having McGeady, playing on the wing, I believe he is the top assiter in the league and didn't play a game until about December. 
  • Options
    I feel we are missing some variety and pace up top without Washington.

Aneke or Stockley. Washington or Ronnie were our initial thoughts but not worked out like that.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I feel we are missing some variety and pace up top without Washington.

Aneke or Stockley. Washington or Ronnie were our initial thoughts but not worked out like that.
    Washington adds mobility, Aneke and Stockley bring presence. To me, Ronnie looks like he could bring both and that goal in front of the covered end was a Mendonca type classic finish but without a run of games he brings neither at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would honestly be very happy to take a point from this game. NA has had a full week to work on the style of play and pick the best players for the job in hand.....get a point here (at least) and lets see how we can build on it. COYR's!!
  • Options
    Gutted to be missing this game but 1-2 to CAFC
  • Options
    I think to get something out of argubably our toughest away match,we need to start with a back five . Matthews:Innis:Famewo: Pearce: Purrington: Pratley (Sheilding the back five) Jfc: Gilbey: Maatsen: Stockley: that’s what I’d start with for maybe 65 Mins  then maybe go to a flat back four taking off the worst performing defender along with pratley and gilbey and bringing on Aneke: Shinnie and Jaiyesimi to nick the match 0-1 with Aneke scoring the winner ( I see it all now, I hope)👍👌🤞
  • Options
    Probably the first game this season that I am truly gutted that I cannot attend. Can imagine it would be a huge crowd of Sunderland today 40k+ for what is a massive game for both teams
  • Options
    Davo53 said:
    I think to get something out of argubably our toughest away match,we need to start with a back five . Matthews:Innis:Famewo: Pearce: Purrington: Pratley (Sheilding the back five) Jfc: Gilbey: Maatsen: Stockley: that’s what I’d start with for maybe 65 Mins  then maybe go to a flat back four taking off the worst performing defender along with pratley and gilbey and bringing on Aneke: Shinnie and Jaiyesimi to nick the match 0-1 with Aneke scoring the winner ( I see it all now, I hope)👍👌🤞
    Slightly toooooo defensive imo. Basically 7 defenders & a lone striker. Are you Bowyer in disguise....😀
  • Options
    I think we will show some quality/what were truly made of with Nigel adkins today and pretty much all key players fit except for washington. we'll probably still lose though. I'll be watching a illegal sunderland biased stream for this game probably :# , gotta mute the commentary.

1-1 or 2-1 to them. cmon you reds.
  • Options
    Sunderland is a great away day, but the away section in the SoL isn't much fun really. Apart from the endless climb, you're stuck up next to the roof, completely cut off from the players and indeed the home fans

This is to me a bonus fixture, in that by my calculations this isn't a game we have to get something from to reach the playoffs, but obviously we still want something from it. Sunderland are clearly a far better team that they were when we played them earlier in the season, Parky's decision to freeze out McGeady  - a top class player at L1 level - for nearly a year looking like a career ending one, it's that bad.

They've been grinding out the wins, so on that basis I think we'll lose 1-0 or 2-1, but we won't be swept aside. I've NO idea what team we'll put out today.
  • Options
    Anyone said Innis in the 94th yet?

Millar Stockley
    Maatsen JFC Pratley Shinnie Matthews
    Famewo Pearce Innis
    Amos
  • Options
    Just following the CAFC build up to this match and,IMO, there’s far too much of ‘rubbing their noses in it’ by featuring play-off wins and our big wins in the premier league days. Just hope it doesn’t come back to bite us on the R’s. What with the steaming purchases, this has an ‘Operation’ feel to it and we all know how they end up. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I copy what @grumpyaddick said.

Edit: his first post. After that he seems to have got more grumpy again.