Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunderland v Charlton | Sat 10 Apr | 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    We won’t win this but imo Sunderland are a lot more likely to be in a higher division than us next season.
    After our 98 play off final win in the following 19 seasons Sunderland had 4 seasons in the 2nd tier of which 3 of them they went up as Champions and 1 was losing play off semi final intermittent with 15 seasons of Premiership football .
    they then had back to back relegations and are now in their 3rd consecutive season of league one 
    they may have lost the play off battles but we got relegated both times straight away after beating them , hopefully we can do what we did after the 99 relegation and bounce straight back but that’s gonna need a miracle run in that I think we’ll full just short of .

Sunderland 2 -1 or 1-1

• Options
    2-0 away win for the mighty Addicks...
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    We still have defensive issues and although I think the lads will put in an encouraging display I do think Sunderland will win 3-1.
  • Options
    I think this is our only game in April that isn't must win.  Saying that a win would be massive and a draw would at least keep the run going.

Blackpool are playing Lincoln and have then got to play Sunderland twice. 

Only 12 points separate 4th and 16th I don't think that will last much longer.

The play offs could have a very 1998 vibe to them.

Could we see Matthews in front of Gunter and Maatsen in front of Purrington in a 442?  Stop McGeady and others getting crosses in.  Be very harsh to drop Pearce on recent form.  I would always prefer Watson to Pratley but I do wonder if Watson is only a game or so off triggering his extra year? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I think this is our only game in April that isn't must win.  Saying that a win would be massive and a draw would at least keep the run going.

Blackpool are playing Lincoln and have then got to play Sunderland twice. 

Only 12 points separate 4th and 16th I don't think that will last much longer.

The play offs could have a very 1998 vibe to them.

Could we see Matthews in front of Gunter and Maatsen in front of Purrington in a 442?  Stop McGeady and others getting crosses in.  Be very harsh to drop Pearce on recent form.  I would always prefer Watson to Pratley but I do wonder if Watson is only a game or so off triggering his extra year? 
    In order to gain the momentum needed to crack the top 6 we need to win every game as it comes.

Therefore whilst we may be able to lose one or two during the run in, before each game the upcoming game is definitely MUST win.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Its also early enough in the run in not to effect the form... Lose tomorrow and we can still go into the Play-Offs having won the next seven and potentially be the form team going into them - Three years ago when we lost to Rochdale on the final day of the season so already went into them on a downer
  • Options
    1-0 win, with the winner in the last minute.

Huge result which starts the journey to a Sunderland/Charlton play off final in May.
  • Options
    Sunderland 3-1 or 2-0.

If no Washington then Chuks must start and hope the ball sticks and we play to feet as well as the hit and hope balls in the air.

I hope I'm wrong but this Sunderland team are much improved under Johnson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bauer, Cullen and Pearce to re-live Wembley winner on Saturday | CAFC
    Catch up with Cullen, Pearce and Bauer prior to kick off, should be good
  • Options
    Good marker to see where we are at...dont think we have enough up front to worry them, so either a 1-0 /2-0 win for Sunderland. If we are to get anything out of the game other than a 0-0 we must score first.
  • Options
    It shows how poor this league is when carthorses like Charlie Wyke can score so many goals . 

It will be tough but they are not as good at home as away and our away form is good . 

2-1 to The Addicks 
  • Options
    Good marker to see where we are at...dont think we have enough up front to worry them, so either a 1-0 /2-0 win for Sunderland. If we are to get anything out of the game other than a 0-0 we must score first.
    If Aneke plays well i think we do espeically if maatsen and dj/millar start we do have enough attacking threat.
  • Options
    1-1 nothing between us form wise at the moment, results rarely go as expected, so Sunderland fans will be a bit frustrated, we will continue on to the next game tails up. Innis continues to make the difference at the back, Aneke gets the equaliser. Looking forward to it, whichever way it goes to be fair, as we should see some half decent football.
  • Options
    I think Inniss is a bigger player for us than Famewo. He is the player we have missed.
  • Options
    I'm optimistic and have bought into this match...so it probably means we will lose. Same team as last week.
  • Options
    I think Inniss is a bigger player for us than Famewo. He is the player we have missed.
    I agree, but also think there's a red card in Inniss,let's hope it's not against Sunderland 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I fear this match may reveal the gaping chasm in quality between the two sides which no amount of effort or positive talk will paper over,

3-0 Sunderland. 
    Is 12 points a gaping chasm in quality? Is their 59 goals scored to our 55 goals scored a gaping chasm in quality? 

Defensively you may have a point, but last time out we held them to a 0-0 draw with Pratley in-between Purrington and Famewo in defence.

We're unbeaten in 7 and nobody expects the play offs, but I cannot see this being a whipping.
  • Options
    A draw will be seen as a better result for us than them. That in itself will bring its own pressures. We need to start well and turn the screw on them a bit.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    I fear this match may reveal the gaping chasm in quality between the two sides which no amount of effort or positive talk will paper over,

3-0 Sunderland. 
    Is 12 points a gaping chasm in quality? Is their 59 goals scored to our 55 goals scored a gaping chasm in quality? 

Defensively you may have a point, but last time out we held them to a 0-0 draw with Pratley in-between Purrington and Famewo in defence.

We're unbeaten in 7 and nobody expects the play offs, but I cannot see this being a whipping.
    In fairness it wouldn't matter who we were playing his post would be very similar.

If ever a user name summed a person up perfectly it would be his.  :(  
  • Options
    Is it going to go ahead? Been looking forward to this. 
  • Options
    Why wouldn't it be? 
  • Options
    Best guess is sporting cancellations are more likely on the day of the funeral.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

3-0 Sunderland. 

In fairness it wouldn't matter who we were playing his post would be very similar.

If ever a user name summed a person up perfectly it would his.  :(  

Fair dos. Maybe not a gaping chasm then- but certainly a large gap.

Actually, I'm feeling rather optimistic that with Innis and Famewo back we might not be so porous at the back and can avoid humiliation but I saw nothing from the Darlington game to inspire any throbbing positivity. 

It was a typical Lee Bowyer performance played at 45 rpm rather than 33rpm but with less attacking threat. 

Very happy if Mr Adkins has sprinkled some magic dust about since then. 

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

3-0 Sunderland. 

Actually, I'm feeling rather optimistic that with Innis and Famewo back we might not be so porous at the back and can avoid humiliation but I saw nothing from the Darlington game to inspire any throbbing positivity. 

It was a typical Lee Bowyer performance played at 45 rpm rather than 33rpm but with less attacking threat. 

I didn't see the Darlington game, how did we get on?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Dazzler21 said:

3-0 Sunderland. 

Didn't realise we had slumped to the National League just yet, Grumps ;)
  • Options
    Think this will be a very close game, they are going to be just as reluctant to go behind as we will be, and for that reason hopefully we can keep it tight and snatch a late win, 0-1 Chucks pinches it.