Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Coffee.

Comments

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Where have people been getting their coffee from during lockdown? I've tried Dark Arts, Union, Caravan and Monmouth.

From the local coffee bars, putting money into the local community in the hope there's something to come back to post-Lockdown.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Where have people been getting their coffee from during lockdown? I've tried Dark Arts, Union, Caravan and Monmouth.

We bought an espresso machine last year and started off with espresso grind from Rave. 

Coffee was great but the grind was really inconsistent, sometimes it was too fine so our machine wouldn’t pressurise enough. So we switched to Pact which isnt as fine but is more consistent which works well for the machine, tastes good too. 

Really need to invest in a grinder but the machine takes up enough room as it is. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Sainsburys
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Rothko said:

From the local coffee bars, putting money into the local community in the hope there's something to come back to post-Lockdown.
    No local coffee roasteries round here, So putting money into indies who would have been supplying the coffee shops in Whitechapel I use 
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Try Kiss the Hippo and Nude if you get a chance mate.

Nude beans are roasted in Shoreditch.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Rothko said:

Try Kiss the Hippo and Nude if you get a chance mate.

Nude beans are roasted in Shoreditch.
    Completely forgot about Nude, have to be the next order, alongside Climpson and Son. I Will try Kiss the Hippo as well, cheers for the tip
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Last two were from Whittards - Guatemalan elephant and Cameroon Western Highlands. There's a stall on Chelmsford high street that does monsooned Malabar which I'll get next, and I'm holding out for some old government java from a deli in Colchester. Great stuff.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    If its a real coffee (ie: one made properly, not from Starbucks or Costa), Cappuccino before 11, Black Americano after. Don't like Espresso - even a really good one - because my palate isn't refined enough to enjoy it over the bitterness (I hate bitter tasting things). I'm happy watering it down though, it removes enough of the bitterness for me to enjoy it.

If I'm in Spain, cafe bombon ftw (espresso with a sachet of condensed milk) 

If it's a Starbucks or Costa, it's generally in the middle of a long bike ride, and I'll have a latte - usually with caramel or vanilla syrup in it because at that point I'm drinking it to replace lost calories. They don't count as 'coffee' as far as I'm concerned though - same as instant coffee, which is generally vile (it's basically coffee with all the natural coffee taste taken out and an artifical flavour mixed into it instead) - but of the instant varieties, Azera makes a decent drink.

I'm sure we've had this chat on here before? 
  • Options
    Taylor’s Coffee Bags aren’t too bad.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

I get mine delivered by Pact. I've got a referral code for £5 off if you or anyone else wants it then PM me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Instant coffee. 3 heaped spoons. No milk, no sugar. Can’t help it. Just love really strong and bitter black coffee.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

We bought an espresso machine last year and started off with espresso grind from Rave. 

Coffee was great but the grind was really inconsistent, sometimes it was too fine so our machine wouldn’t pressurise enough. So we switched to Pact which isnt as fine but is more consistent which works well for the machine, tastes good too. 

Really need to invest in a grinder but the machine takes up enough room as it is. 
    Grind is one of the most important variables in making espresso. I’m no expert, it took me almost 2lbs of beans before I managed to get it right. But you do need a burr grinder - and good ones are not cheap. 

Hugely frustrating to start with, but when you get it right it’s really good. 
  • Options
    With whiskey.
    I'm with you... but forget the coffee ;)
  • Options
    Rothko said:

I get my delivered from Pact
  • Options
    There are some right coffee snobs on here. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I have said this before on here, I try and 'do' coffee for the social aspect and paying 3quid for a bag of green tea in hot water revolts me. I just can't get past how much it tastes similar to the taste of smoking a Rothmans afterwards. My missus is mad for coffee and like a lot of people will not baulk at paying best part of a fiver for a paper cup of something from Costa or Starbucks. I really want to like coffee, I like the effect it has and use it if I need to jolt myself awake but I derive no joy from it 

I've recently started having a bit of milk in Lady Grey tea and it is the perfect morning brew. 
    Starbucks coffee is horrible, harsh, bitter without depth and leaves a nasty aftertaste.  Go to Italy.  Any cheap cafe will serve you good coffee.
  • Options
    My coffeemaker. No bitterness, great taste

https://www.aeropress.co.uk/products/aeropress-coffee-maker
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    Instant coffee. 3 heaped spoons. No milk, no sugar. Can’t help it. Just love really strong and bitter black coffee.
    Christ that must be very bitter!
  • Options
    As much as I love the aroma of fresh coffee, I'm not a great lover of the taste. My go to is just instant Nescafe, strong with milk and one sugar

• Options
    Danepak said:
    Christ that must be very bitter!
    Yep and like a kick in the arse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dulce Gusto Americano pods and then move onto decaf version. 

My Mrs oddly only likes instant coffee, I would rather drink a warm can of Carling. 
  • Options
    Normally from this.....

Sometimes from this.....

It’s only a Nespresso thing but makes a decent enough cup. 

It doesn’t really matter what type of coffee because I drown it in milk anyway. 

Can’t be doing with strong coffee. 

I’ve tried to like espresso etc.....but just find it all way to bitter for me. 

• Options
    James86 said:
    Taylor’s Coffee Bags aren’t too bad.

I buy these for work, three or four get me through a shift. When at home I drink Taylor’s Hot Lava Java made in a cafetière. Black with two sugars.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    MrWalker said:
    Kopi Luwak all day long.

Have you tried it? I have - my recollection is that it was interesting, but not something I'd have again, especially as it was very expensive.
    Not tried that exact version, though I did a home experiment with some coffee beans and our cat.
    Coffee tasted like s@#t though.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    How do you take yours?

Me;

As Nan would say, What a load of old shit!
    That's a cirrus cup of coffee.
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    ... but seriously, if you ever start suffering from palpitations it'll be the coffee.

I've suffered from arrhythmias and tachycardia (fast heart beat) and excess coffee can start it off.  To prove the point, when I had an MRI scan on my heart the medics were not quite ready and asked me to return half an hour later.  They also directed me not to drink any coffee as it speeds the heart and could possibly spoil their pictures.   

Just saying.

• Options
    My coffeemaker. No bitterness, great taste

https://www.aeropress.co.uk/products/aeropress-coffee-maker
    How easy is this to use? I've been curious for a while about these. 
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    ... but seriously, if you ever start suffering from palpitations it'll be the coffee.

I've suffered from arrhythmias and tachycardia (fast heart beat) and excess coffee can start it off.  To prove the point, when I had an MRI scan on my heart the medics were not quite ready and asked me to return half an hour later.  They also directed me not to drink any coffee as it speeds the heart and could possibly spoil their pictures.   

Just saying.

Yep, I appreciate this.
    I haven’t experienced any of the above though.

Always loved strong black coffee. That bitterness...it’s addictive, I guess.
    A mystery to me why anyone would add milk (and even worse - sugar) to coffee, but hey, luckily we don’t all like the same.
  • Options
    Gave up having any sort of milk in coffee years ago because we used to 'share' milk in the place I worked in. That usually meant there wasn't any or it had separated into solids and yellow liquid so you had to have it black anyway. Now if someone makes me a coffee with milk I can't stand it.
  • Options
    My doctor has advised I should give caffeine a swerve. This limits choice but I am currently using Lavazza Dek beans. They do the job for a lot less money than some brands want to charge.