Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Charlton v Shrewsbury | Sat 13 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    That was a meh performance, I was surprised we equalised as I couldn’t see us scoring apart from that awful miss by Chuks. Whatever slim hopes we had for play offs is now over. I know we’re only two points off but with other teams above and below games in hand and the run in we’ve got in April, we’re be finishing mid table. Rebuild in the summer, smash the league next season 😎
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Redrobo said:
    The old guard the disappointments yet again. Just ooze players coming to the end of their careers and only going one direction on the form chart. I’d rather Smith and Morgan started in centre mid than Pratley and Watson. 

There is a tiny tiny chance that we can make playoffs this season, we aren’t going down, so why not just attack teams? Try and actually play some sort of fluent football.

It just so boring and then becomes desperate. Not fun at all to watch.
    This x100. 

The future is NOT Prately & Watson. As we are neither going up or down this season it's time to start with young & hungry players that we can build a team around. Players like Morgan, Shinnie & DJ. Shame we have so many loanees that wont be here next season (Millar, Famewo, Maatsen & very likely Smith) and might be an idea to try out a couple of the U23's to see if they can step up. Now is the perfect time.
    Thought we had a poor side in October, a couple of good signings in January to keep us safe and an outside chance of the playoffs. I have asked several times which of OUR players would you like to see us play in the Championship. We are a bang average side who have to work very hard for anything.
    Totally agree with golfie. Do a Chris Powell and find out who is good enough to step up game after game and see who can make the step up.
    Jaiyesimi Stockley Famewo Millar Maatsen Watson.  "Our" players or loanees doesnt matter. All players who clearly had a bit of class when they came to us.  how would we know who would be good for us in the Championship when none of these players are playing to their potential.  Where does the responsibility for that lie is the question.
  • Options
    Too bored with the abject mediocrity.

2 points still above the mighty Gillingham though, that's  good enough for me...
  • Options
    It was drab at best. 
  • Options
    Need to start positive from the start with an attacking line up:

Amos
    Gunter  Pearce  Famewo
    Matthews  Shinnie  Caskey  Maatsen
      Morgan   Millar
    Aneke

• Options
    Wipe this whole season (and year) from the memory - looking forward to being able to actually go again and have a beer with my mates.
  • Options
    Is it just me or do we seem to hit the woodwork more often than we used to (or than other teams seem to)? It seems every game we hit the post or bar at least once. And it pops back out and gets cleared. 

Dunno, whether that's true, what that means or what we can do about it but it's getting right on my nerves. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is it just me or do we seem to hit the woodwork more often than we used to (or than other teams seem to)? It seems every game we hit the post or bar at least once. And it pops back out and gets cleared. 

Dunno, whether that's true, what that means or what we can do about it but it's getting right on my nerves. 
    Stevie Brown explained how to put those chances in on the commentary - just keep
    it down.
  • Options
    Consider myself lucky I was working today as I avoided forking out for what sounds like a turgid, excitement-free ninety minutes of what passes for football at the Valley these days. Not going to ask if was down to LBs tactical decisions as I don’t want to be accused of sniping. 
  • Options
    Hope I am proved wrong but I think a play-off spot has gone. And, come the end of the season, we will be looking back at all the silly points we have dropped and thinking "if only". 
     Am looking forward to the summer rebuilding.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    The old guard the disappointments yet again. Just ooze players coming to the end of their careers and only going one direction on the form chart. I’d rather Smith and Morgan started in centre mid than Pratley and Watson. 

There is a tiny tiny chance that we can make playoffs this season, we aren’t going down, so why not just attack teams? Try and actually play some sort of fluent football.

It just so boring and then becomes desperate. Not fun at all to watch.
    This x100. 

The future is NOT Prately & Watson. As we are neither going up or down this season it's time to start with young & hungry players that we can build a team around. Players like Morgan, Shinnie & DJ. Shame we have so many loanees that wont be here next season (Millar, Famewo, Maatsen & very likely Smith) and might be an idea to try out a couple of the U23's to see if they can step up. Now is the perfect time.
    Thought we had a poor side in October, a couple of good signings in January to keep us safe and an outside chance of the playoffs. I have asked several times which of OUR players would you like to see us play in the Championship. We are a bang average side who have to work very hard for anything.
    Totally agree with golfie. Do a Chris Powell and find out who is good enough to step up game after game and see who can make the step up.
    Jaiyesimi Stockley Famewo Millar Maatsen Watson.  "Our" players or loanees doesnt matter. All players who clearly had a bit of class when they came to us.  how would we know who would be good for us in the Championship when none of these players are playing to their potential.  Where does the responsibility for that lie is the question.
    If you think they are all Championship players we will never agree. 
  • Options
    Also...apart from being well organised...Shrewsbury are a pile of shit...like woeful.

• Options
    Bowyer on VP:

”Pros and cons. First half we started well, should have been leading at HT”
    ”We didn’t do the same second half. Stopped doing the things that caused them problems. We were slow and the tempo stopped”
    ”they got a goal and we had to make changes as we were sluggish”
    ”we became better team again. If Chuks scores we win the game. Conor took his chance well”
    ”but we could have lost the game. Vulnerable on the counter attack”
    ”point better than nothing. Disappointed. But players should be proud of themselves how many games they’re playing. They kept fighting until the end”

This has been a complaint of LB's for the duration of the season.

We have a bigger squad than the majority of teams in this division. Ignoring the Football League Trophy, when we played the kids, we've had 38 games in all competitions. Hull have played 41 games and are 16 points clear of us. Both teams have had 5 games in the last 15 days - Hull have taken 15 points (and beaten Peterborough and Oxford in the process) and we've managed 8 points. Burton have won all 6 of their games in the last 19 days and of course beat us as well as Peterborough on that run.

The good news is that we have 56 days to play our final 11 games. So let's hope that this is the last we hear about "how many games they’re playing". 
    Glad it's not just me that thinks all this "oh, the players are tired because they are playing sat, tues, sat" is bollox. Said it so many times this season - look at pre Premier league era when teams regularly played 50 or 60 games per season. Games went to replays and with poorer drainage games were either played on mud heaps for 2 months of the season or they were postponed and clubs played catch up in mid April. And then there was only 1 sub until the 1990's.
    It is bollocks because the teams we are playing are playing Saturday Tuesday too.
  • Options
    Maybe the last two games were an outlier because Pratley was suspended so Bowyer was forced to not play them together? 

First chance Bowyer gets he sticks Pratley and Watson straight back in and we regress. 
    Pratley played in the last game...

Famewo for Forster-Caskey was the only difference to the eleven
    Fed up with you coming on here with your facts 😉
  • Options
    Unbeaten run continues 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BFG94 said:
    Hope I am proved wrong but I think a play-off spot has gone. And, come the end of the season, we will be looking back at all the silly points we have dropped and thinking "if only". 
     Am looking forward to the summer rebuilding.
    But in many of these games where we've dropped points, we can't really claim that we deserved to win. Our position in the table correctly reflects our season and our side
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Maybe the last two games were an outlier because Pratley was suspended so Bowyer was forced to not play them together? 

First chance Bowyer gets he sticks Pratley and Watson straight back in and we regress. 
    Or JFC was injured...

*already noted by FA sorry
  • Options

True, though they weren't both in midfield last time. 
  • Options
    Talal said:

But then Bowyer would have been forced to make two changes and that would probably have been too many for most on here ;) 
  • Options
    Another week another tedious pedestrian under performance where we never looked like winning - knew what negativity was in store as soon as I saw that team sheet. Another week which demonstrates Bowyer's weakness as a manager he can't set up a team and motivate them to play fast pressing football - so what if we looked comfortable in the first half - it was still 0-0 and we'd only created 1 clear chance which at home in Div 3 is just not good enough. When we concede the heads drop and there's no urgency in the team at all. 
  • Options
    Talal said:

But then Bowyer would have been forced to make two changes and that would probably have been too many for most on here ;) 
    Touché. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I think, whilst a little better, there is still a hang up from our over passing approach from earlier in the season. This doesn't suit us because we find it hard to make space for ourselves and we don't seem to care if the person we are passing to is in a worse position or not.

I don't think missing pace to get behind sides is such an issue at The Valley as opponents get bodies behind the ball. Where we have had success it is by maximising a superior attribute. Innes' height all over the pitch provided options and problems for opponents. I think Bowyer should be looking were he may find superior attributes elsewhere.

There seems to me to be one thing that he has criminally underused or at least under tested. That is playing with two strikers with physical characteristics. It gives you the option of mixing things up so you are not only trying to thread balls through an eye of a needle which hard work can negate, but also throwing the odd longer ball in.

Defensively, when being pressed it is an outlet and it would give opponents more to think about. If it is tried and it doesn't work fair enough but if Stockley is coming off Aneke replaces him and visa versa. Bowyer has tried so many different things but the same issues persist. I suppose he may think he is too clever to try basic solutions although what Innes brought to us was pretty basic. It worked though!  
  • Options
    Talal said:

We've never lost with Pratley and Watson in CM roles.

P5 W3 D2.