Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Charlton v Shrewsbury | Sat 13 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    Player for player the current squad is a shadow of the the team we had at Wembley two years ago. We are weaker in every single position.

Goals scored are a real concern.
    Goals are only scored by our forwards. Our defenders and midfielders rarely score.
    In 2019 we had Aribo & Belik scoring regularly from midfield. This doesn’t happen any more. You cannot be successful with just 1 or 2 people scoring.

Tactically we are shite, so predictable. Every move forward is the same.

Something needs to change.

• Options
    We aren't getting into the play-offs. 

We should ban that word until August now. Zero chance this season. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Not the world's most exciting game. We probably had the better of the 1st half without getting much on target, went behind in the second but were rescued by Conor Washington. Could've taken the lead when Chuks hit the bar, but also handed Shrewsbury two gilt-edged chances towards the end that we were lucky they wasted.
    Your thoughts?
    Think we were 0-1 down when Chucks hit the bar 
    Thanks, have amended accordingly.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    When you put 8 or above players in your defensive area you know we have trouble breaking through it. It has been what every team does against us at the Valley. We have to rely on beating the incompetent teams that play it as we don't have the answers against remotely competent ones. I think a physicality overload could be of interest but Bowyer doesn't even want to try it.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Feck me you lot need the pubs open pronto 🙄

A point when a few weeks back we would have got none.
    Still capable of getting in the play offs.
    Lawrie Wilson to stare at, sorry listen to.
    Stevie Brown excellent comms.
    And Big Bob on Tuesday.

LLLBH 🙂
    Oh well, we've moved on from "a few weeks ago we were staring oblivion in the face, at least we still have a club to support". 

LLLBH.  Is that our form?  I know that L = "lost" but not sure what B and H stands for.

• Options
    Feck me you lot need the pubs open pronto 🙄

A point when a few weeks back we would have got none.
    Still capable of getting in the play offs.
    Lawrie Wilson to stare at, sorry listen to.
    Stevie Brown excellent comms.
    And Big Bob on Tuesday.

LLLBH 🙂
    Oh well, we've moved on from "a few weeks ago we were staring oblivion in the face, at least we still have a club to support". 

LLLBH.  Is that our form?  I know that L = "lost" but not sure what B and H stands for.
    B = Bloody hell, we kept a clean sheet @ Oxford
    H = How the hell did we manage to win at home
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My biggest fear is another season with Bowyer in charge.
    Mine too 
  • Options
    Washington did well again today , which is a bonus and Pearce had another good game , but they are the only positives for me . Not sure what has happened to Millar and Stockley and Maatsen gives the ball away far too much . We need JFC back for Tuesday .
  • Options
    The old guard the disappointments yet again. Just ooze players coming to the end of their careers and only going one direction on the form chart. I’d rather Smith and Morgan started in centre mid than Pratley and Watson. 

There is a tiny tiny chance that we can make playoffs this season, we aren’t going down, so why not just attack teams? Try and actually play some sort of fluent football.

It just so boring and then becomes desperate. Not fun at all to watch.
    This x100. 

The future is NOT Prately & Watson. As we are neither going up or down this season it's time to start with young & hungry players that we can build a team around. Players like Morgan, Shinnie & DJ. Shame we have so many loanees that wont be here next season (Millar, Famewo, Maatsen & very likely Smith) and might be an idea to try out a couple of the U23's to see if they can step up. Now is the perfect time.
    Thought we had a poor side in October, a couple of good signings in January to keep us safe and an outside chance of the playoffs. I have asked several times which of OUR players would you like to see us play in the Championship. We are a bang average side who have to work very hard for anything.
    Totally agree with golfie. Do a Chris Powell and find out who is good enough to step up game after game and see who can make the step up.
  • Options
    The one thing which wins matches is pace,we have none,Millar now a shadow of the player who joined us,Martsaan wont go forward any more,just stops and plays the ball back.I have said before,every team we play against has one or two players who run at us and cause problems,today,no different,Watson and Pratley offer no attacking threats at all,one of them fine,but both?.I dont think play offs are on now,it is time to give some of our youngsters a run out,instead of giving lads from other clubs valuable experience.
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I told u about the Blackpool team talk - every game has followed this - oppo league scud have the ball, we create f all then they go for it start of second half and nick a goal or 2 - we are a poor team made worse by a poor manager - Gunter is abysmal and why we have to wait 60 minutes for chucks and shinnie is anybody’s guess - doesn’t matter really, we are nowhere near a promotion team 
    You also told us Washington offers nothing up front. 
    U shouldn’t hang in every word I say - I don’t get everything right - tbf Washington has upped his game massively the last 3 weeks since he’s come back in 
  • Options
    I don't think have a poor group of player's. We have a group of player's playing poorly. Every player seems to have dropped their form from their former clubs. 

Much spoke on club site about Watson maybe wanting a final year on his contract. If it was based on today's showing, he wouldn't get another week. Aside Maatsen won't be coming back, neither will Millar. Our defence is like a static caravan. Up front Chuks was strolling around like a bloke in a night club trying to pick up girls. There was very little urgency or skill shown today. Shrewsbury only ever looked like they were coming for a point. They very nearly got all three. It keeps happening, getting results that reflect the performance. We aren't unlucky. We are out of form. Out paced. Out played. Out performed. Bowyer doesn't have a clue what to do to turn it around. "You don't know what you're doing" would have been sung loud and clear if The Valley had fans in today. Boo's would be a regular occurrence during and post games too. 

It's up to Thomas!
  • Options
    he clearly taken my advice and worked on it 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We seem to have 2 modes
    Attacking - we create lots of chances, but also leak goals for fun
    Defensive - we look solid, but look pretty toothless up front

Indeed we saw both modes in this match, with a solid, "professional" first half with the Watson and Pratley in which we created little, and a kamikaze last 15 when we brought on attacking players and lost the plot defensively. It does feel that despite all the players we have, we still haven't managed to get the balance right between defending and creating.

• Options
    Incredible mistake by Phillips in the Cardiff game - he must be embarrassed. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    That Barnsley manager is something special 
    Barnsley had great success with their model of german managers. Very high press that is impossible to play through, even chelsea struggled. And very direct passes into space. 
  • Options
    https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2021/03/13/charlton-1-shrewsbury-town-1-report/

A very comprehensive report from the Shrewsbury pov. One geographical howler aside, worth a read. An interesting comment near the start which shows that other people think about us

The flurry of late drama left the visitors, without boss Steve Cotterill and led by Aaron Wilbraham, a little disappointed with just a share of the spoils.
    It also highlights the progress made by Salop against a good Charlton side, who were well below what their talented side should be capable of.
    Reporter has a good sense of humour..
  • Options
    A points a point but it's a pointless point 😖
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    Pratley and Watson in the middle and morgan on the right of a flat 4 midfield your having a laugh Bowyer. Absolute sick of this shit, his love for Pratley and Watson has killed us this season.
    Yeah but they wouldn’t dare jump out of a tackle.

The whole playing side of the club needs a re-think...and yes that starts with the head coach.
  • Options
    Pompey lose the Papa John's trophy on penalties to Salford. No goals, even after extra time