Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Charlton v Shrewsbury | Sat 13 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The reason we had to play Watson AND Pratley today is that JFC wasn't available.

If we play more than 2 of Millar, DJ, Morgan, Smith, Shinnie and Gilbey we concede at least 2 goals.  We aren't good enough going forward to ensure we score 3 to win games.

No team, in my memory, has been successful conceding 2 goals a game.  Now you can blame that on the manager, the head of recruitment, the previous owner, the one before that, father Christmas or the Easter bunny. But unfortunately it's a fact.

I'll defend Bowyer in as far we should have won today despite the team he picked, which hasn't always been the case.

The fact that we are outside the play offs, still, firmly rests on him. 
    This is....extremely spurious. How do you know we'd concede two goals? With Smith in our midfield we've barely conceded any, for starters
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    The old guard the disappointments yet again. Just ooze players coming to the end of their careers and only going one direction on the form chart. I’d rather Smith and Morgan started in centre mid than Pratley and Watson. 

There is a tiny tiny chance that we can make playoffs this season, we aren’t going down, so why not just attack teams? Try and actually play some sort of fluent football.

It just so boring and then becomes desperate. Not fun at all to watch.
    This x100. 

The future is NOT Prately & Watson. As we are neither going up or down this season it's time to start with young & hungry players that we can build a team around. Players like Morgan, Shinnie & DJ. Shame we have so many loanees that wont be here next season (Millar, Famewo, Maatsen & very likely Smith) and might be an idea to try out a couple of the U23's to see if they can step up. Now is the perfect time.
    Thought we had a poor side in October, a couple of good signings in January to keep us safe and an outside chance of the playoffs. I have asked several times which of OUR players would you like to see us play in the Championship. We are a bang average side who have to work very hard for anything.
    Totally agree with golfie. Do a Chris Powell and find out who is good enough to step up game after game and see who can make the step up.
    Jaiyesimi Stockley Famewo Millar Maatsen Watson.  "Our" players or loanees doesnt matter. All players who clearly had a bit of class when they came to us.  how would we know who would be good for us in the Championship when none of these players are playing to their potential.  Where does the responsibility for that lie is the question.
    If you think they are all Championship players we will never agree. 
    You didn't ask us which of our players are "Championship players" you asked which of our players we would like to see us play in the Championship.  I would like to see all of these play in the Championship, under a competent coach who understands how to develop talent and potential.
    You are pulling my leg aren’t you? If we got into the Championship and then played those players in the first team, I don’t care who the manager is, we would go down. 
    Clubs do not loan out players to clubs at a level that does not suit the players development. It has to be stretching but achievable. Famewo is the one player that stands out as having the quality to move up a level, Stockley maybe. The rest? Your having a laugh. Watson at 36 tearing up the Championship 😂. 
    Please, do tell, which club have you identified currently outside the bottom three who would be looking to sign any of those?

Calm down.

Yes. "Tearing up the championship". That's what I said.

Away to your LB fan club meeting. You're late.
    Only a handful want him in our starting 11, But you think he is good enough for the Championship!

And while we are at it, I don’t want Bowyer to be sacked as I think we need stability. Still do.
    I like and appreciate good discussion, but will not accept joke criticisms like ‘he never discusses tactics’ and your type of assertion that he and our management team do not develop players. There is enough to stick into an argument as to team selection and formation to have a sensible discussion. No need to make it up as you go along. In fact I think I was the first person to suggest who should replace him if it came to that!

Morgan, who is one player who I think has developed enormously over the last two years, was on VP only today saying how much he has improved because of them. Or do you think he and all the others that have said that are liars?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leuth said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The reason we had to play Watson AND Pratley today is that JFC wasn't available.

If we play more than 2 of Millar, DJ, Morgan, Smith, Shinnie and Gilbey we concede at least 2 goals.  We aren't good enough going forward to ensure we score 3 to win games.

No team, in my memory, has been successful conceding 2 goals a game.  Now you can blame that on the manager, the head of recruitment, the previous owner, the one before that, father Christmas or the Easter bunny. But unfortunately it's a fact.

I'll defend Bowyer in as far we should have won today despite the team he picked, which hasn't always been the case.

This is....extremely spurious. How do you know we'd concede two goals? With Smith in our midfield we've barely conceded any, for starters
    No but 2 of his 3 starts he played with Watson and JFC.  The other one was Fleetwood were would should have conceded at least 2.

I know we would conced 2 goals because we did almost every time we tried it, for months. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

We did not have to play Watson and pratley today. Bowyer decided to do so, big difference.

smith or shinnie could have started
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

We did not have to play Watson and pratley today. Bowyer decided to do so, big difference.

Did you read passed the first sentence? 
  • Options
    Is it just me or do we seem to hit the woodwork more often than we used to (or than other teams seem to)? It seems every game we hit the post or bar at least once. And it pops back out and gets cleared. 

Dunno, whether that's true, what that means or what we can do about it but it's getting right on my nerves. 
    Improve our finishing. A lot of the chances that hit the woodwork are from 10 yards. Poor finishing rather than bad luck
  • Options
    Is it just me or do we seem to hit the woodwork more often than we used to (or than other teams seem to)? It seems every game we hit the post or bar at least once. And it pops back out and gets cleared. 

Dunno, whether that's true, what that means or what we can do about it but it's getting right on my nerves. 
    Improve our finishing. A lot of the chances that hit the woodwork are from 10 yards. Poor finishing rather than bad luck
    Keep it down and aim at the middle of the goal. If it doesn’t go in, it might deflect off a defender and in or be spilled by the keeper to one of our other players.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Did you read passed the first sentence? 
    Yes. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    There shouldn't be any much better sides in this league 
    Think there are 7 better sides at the moment and when the games in hand are sorted I think there could be more 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A bang average game of mid table league 1 football 
  • Options
    Can't believe those comments about DJ. Wonder who Bowyer thinks he is some times. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Can't believe those comments about DJ. Wonder who Bowyer thinks he is some times. 
    Same as his post match comments, I swear he watches another game sometimes.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    First things first this was not a bad performance in fact I think it was better then Tuesday but we came up against a team who were not interested in attacking just trying to stop us .. there tactic was we get one chance we take it then defend and that what they did they worked incredibly hard .... in this sort of game chances are very few so when they come you need to take them .. Stockley first but the miss of the season from Aneke 6 yards out open goal hits the bar .. that’s your chance ... but all credit to us we kept going and Conor brilliant but in trying to win it we have them a couple of chances .. sometimes just accept the point 

Washington, Watson and Pearce again the outstanding players .. but we worked hard and kept trying  

I thought Watson was poor, especially in the first half. Kept giving the ball away. Shame, after he’d had a couple of good games. 
    He has games sometimes where it looks like he’s playing in concrete boots. All the effort is there but the first touch is heavy, the pass is heavy and wide etc...
  • Options
    Our best player on the ball was a loanee. He was also playing on wrong side of CB, for a left footer playing on the right.

Speaks volumes about the rest of the team's control,touch, awareness and passing. We need more Famewo's and less slow, weak and turgid players.
  • Options
    I think Cullen, Bielik and Gallagher fed off the crowd at the Valley. Is it any wonder that the current crop of loanees don’t seem quite so highly motivated when they’re playing in empty stadiums?
  • Options
    We take the point
    It is what it is
    We go again
    Stay safe
    Repeat

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    The old guard the disappointments yet again. Just ooze players coming to the end of their careers and only going one direction on the form chart. I’d rather Smith and Morgan started in centre mid than Pratley and Watson. 

There is a tiny tiny chance that we can make playoffs this season, we aren’t going down, so why not just attack teams? Try and actually play some sort of fluent football.

It just so boring and then becomes desperate. Not fun at all to watch.
    This x100. 

The future is NOT Prately & Watson. As we are neither going up or down this season it's time to start with young & hungry players that we can build a team around. Players like Morgan, Shinnie & DJ. Shame we have so many loanees that wont be here next season (Millar, Famewo, Maatsen & very likely Smith) and might be an idea to try out a couple of the U23's to see if they can step up. Now is the perfect time.
    Thought we had a poor side in October, a couple of good signings in January to keep us safe and an outside chance of the playoffs. I have asked several times which of OUR players would you like to see us play in the Championship. We are a bang average side who have to work very hard for anything.
    Totally agree with golfie. Do a Chris Powell and find out who is good enough to step up game after game and see who can make the step up.
    Jaiyesimi Stockley Famewo Millar Maatsen Watson.  "Our" players or loanees doesnt matter. All players who clearly had a bit of class when they came to us.  how would we know who would be good for us in the Championship when none of these players are playing to their potential.  Where does the responsibility for that lie is the question.
    If you think they are all Championship players we will never agree. 
    You didn't ask us which of our players are "Championship players" you asked which of our players we would like to see us play in the Championship.  I would like to see all of these play in the Championship, under a competent coach who understands how to develop talent and potential.
    You are pulling my leg aren’t you? If we got into the Championship and then played those players in the first team, I don’t care who the manager is, we would go down. 
    Clubs do not loan out players to clubs at a level that does not suit the players development. It has to be stretching but achievable. Famewo is the one player that stands out as having the quality to move up a level, Stockley maybe. The rest? Your having a laugh. Watson at 36 tearing up the Championship 😂. 
    Please, do tell, which club have you identified currently outside the bottom three who would be looking to sign any of those?

Calm down.

Yes. "Tearing up the championship". That's what I said.

Away to your LB fan club meeting. You're late.
    Only a handful want him in our starting 11, But you think he is good enough for the Championship!

And while we are at it, I don’t want Bowyer to be sacked as I think we need stability. Still do.
    I like and appreciate good discussion, but will not accept joke criticisms like ‘he never discusses tactics’ and your type of assertion that he and our management team do not develop players. There is enough to stick into an argument as to team selection and formation to have a sensible discussion. No need to make it up as you go along. In fact I think I was the first person to suggest who should replace him if it came to that!

Morgan, who is one player who I think has developed enormously over the last two years, was on VP only today saying how much he has improved because of them. Or do you think he and all the others that have said that are liars?
    I think you are having an argument you want to have with someone who doesn't exist. I stupidly answered a question in a post of yours. I should have known better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Another speciality trait of this current team - we defend our own attacks for the opposition, via countless stupid offsides or fouls. 
  • Options
    Player for player the current squad is a shadow of the the team we had at Wembley two years ago. We are weaker in every single position.

Goals scored are a real concern.
    Goals are only scored by our forwards. Our defenders and midfielders rarely score.
    In 2019 we had Aribo & Belik scoring regularly from midfield. This doesn’t happen any more. You cannot be successful with just 1 or 2 people scoring.

Tactically we are shite, so predictable. Every move forward is the same.

Something needs to change.

I'm glad someone's finally on the same page as me. Might have to re-vist the "who's going to score the goals this season" thread and see what some posters said because we have been dire in front of goal this season. Doesn't help if 2 of your midfielders are so defensive they hardly get anywhere near the oppositions penalty area. Just remembering the past & some of Kins piledrivers.....or even Matty Holland popping up with a few headers. Graeme Stuart got a few from midfield as well. And even Keith Jones. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I have had enough of the blind loyalty being shown which is verging on the edge of stubbornness. Yes we all all glad we have a team to watch still. Yes we are all grateful that somehow we have been bought by what looks like a fantastic owner who is willing to back a plan with his money. However the performances are nothing like what he wants as an owner imo. People keep saying we havent lost when pratley and Watson play together. Personally I dont care about that stat the fact is we are just plain boring to watch when they both start. Can we please stop being so grateful we still exist and move on from the past shite. Start to build a team that plays bloody football that we can be proud of
    Hear hear. Give this man a promote.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I think Cullen, Bielik and Gallagher fed off the crowd at the Valley. Is it any wonder that the current crop of loanees don’t seem quite so highly motivated when they’re playing in empty stadiums?

So better quality doesn't come into it?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I think It might make sense for LB to go, we have no energy, no drive, very slow, boring football.

I would not miss anyone of these players. 

Proper clean out ala CP all those years ago, needed. 

I hope that the people TS has brought in will be able to advise him well. 

Dramatic change needed. 

We have stability, now let's use it. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I know we are switching roles here, but don’t agree. 

We must have known how Shrewsbury would set up with a midfield four playing about four yards in front of the back four. It should have been a Smith / Shinnie / Morgan with one of them. There was no point signing Smith if he was going to be at best a 4th choice CM when we already have others on our books. 
    Well that's beyond argument.

The point is that Bowyer has proved that he can't set up a team (this season) to defend properly without 2 of the 3 midfielders I mentioned.  When there is only 1 (I don't think there has ever been none?) teams just walk through our midfield and have pop shots that fly into to the top corner.  That hasn't happened in the last 4 games.  On the flip side when it's not JFC as one of them we become even more one paced and blunt.  We are hardly the 1970 Brazil team anyway. 

Its been obvious since November and wasn't addressed sufficiently in January.  The center halves being injured gave him an out in a lot of people's minds.

You can blame the lack of investment under Roland, the salary cap or the embargo.  But 2 transfer windows and 6 months on the training ground any defence of it is dubious at best. 
  • Options
    Millar - the initial spark seems to have gone. Looks like he’d jump on the first train back to Liverpool if given the chance.
    Jayesimi - did we sign an inferior clone of the dangerous Swindon winger?