Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Thread: Charlton v Shrewsbury | Sat 13 March 2021

Comments

• First half performance I felt we were doing the right things, remaining patient whilst testing the Shrewsbury defence and should have been ahead - We only needed to come out in the second and continue that momentum, instead as Steve Brown said we barely got in their half from our own kick-off!!

Disappointingly Shrewsbury came to win a point and try and gain all three if they could, with their games in hand I dont know why they didnt try and attack us more as they looked impressive going forward.

That point was certainly rescued as a result rather than being two points dropped.

It was a game ultimately that reminded me of the Lincoln game and my comments afterwards, to get promoted from this Division you HAVE to learn how to beat these sides that sit tight and take their chances, there are so many of them at this level who know how to be organised.

We're not going anywhere this season, I said after Northampton that six points from these next two home games was the only way that we could look at the teams above us but whoever is in charge next season must learn how to grind these teams down
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't believe despite other teams games in hand that there was another wasted opportunity today.

We are pony and a lot of the players seem to be on the beach already.

New season beckons and I'm sorry to say a new manager is needed... I will be a bit upset if LB gets another crack with money so hope TS does the right thing as we aren't making the playoffs... Period. 
  • edited March 2021
    Shows how much we rely on JFC, so poor today
  • esseffect said:
    Millar thrown to the wolves already
    On loan or transfer?
  • I honestly just don't see what Bowyer is when he plays Pratley and Watson in the middle together. They're not all of a sudden going to turn into Ineista and Xavi and start moving the ball around quickly. 

Against a team like Shrewsbury who you know are going to play compact and put every man behind the ball, we looks good when we moved the ball quickly along the floor. But that rarely happened for 60+ minutes of the game as we had no options of movement between the lines in the centre of the park to link up the play. 

I'm sure 90% of us think this. It just doesn't work.

What on earth possesses Bowyer to do it?
  • Gotta say Bowyer playing Watson and Pratley in the middle was negative, why we didn't go five in the middle and surrender one of the full back positions is beyond me.
  • Will they bother bringing Bowyer in for a post match interview or just replay one of his umpteenth interviews?
  • edited March 2021
    We played like we had fewer men, particularly in the second half. Second to everything and no creativity.

How many games has Jaiyesimi started, one? He's not been great but he's had no game time. He'll be another winger gone prematurely.

Stockley needs balls into his head. That didn't happen once today. We should have had two wingers today and Morgan and/or Shinnie in the middle. We don't set up to win. Instead we got outplayed at home by another team below us. 
  • edited March 2021
    Two massive mistakes cost us, Gunter not picking up the goal scorer (Gunter was hopeless all game).
    Aneke open goal fluff.
    However it was a terrible game, we offered little attacking midfield wise and it made it easy for them to defend.
    Don’t really understand Bowyers negative team selection when we clearly need wins to get anywhere near playoffs. What’s to lose we are safe now, shit or bust time surely.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2021
    Too many old footballers at the end of their careers - Watson, Pratley, Pearce, Gunter.

Watson and Pratley as a combo are too slow and unimaginative. Morgan our best player first half but disappeared in the second. Washington worked really hard and scored a good goal. Shame Chuks hit the bar. 

What’s up with DJ? Poor first touch, poor control and can’t seem to run with the ball. Or shoot.

We did our best to give them another one so happy with the point in the end. We could sneak into the playoffs like in Bow’s first season but this team just doesn’t seem to be good enough to win a final at Wembley.
  • cabbles said:
    Enjoyed that.  Nice, tidy play in defence and the middle of the park, some movement up front and something to build on as we hit the business end of the season. 
    I literally can’t tell if you’re serious @cabbles?
  • We are really crap and Bow refuses to play our best players... Washington doesn't deserve to be dropped but

---------------------Amos
    Matthews - Famewo - Pearce - Purrington 
    Jayesimi - Watson - Shinnie - Millar
    ---------Chuks - Stockley

Wins that comfortably... Why are we stating with Pratley and Watson together vs Shrewsbury? 
  • cabbles said:
    Enjoyed that.  Nice, tidy play in defence and the middle of the park, some movement up front and something to build on as we hit the business end of the season. 
    Glad you think it's funny
  • Chunes said:
    Shrewsbury put 11 men behind the ball and yet we started the two Dinosaurs in the middle. It makes no sense. 

Looked different with proper midfielders second half but it was too late. 

Gunter an absolute horror show. Pratley useless. Watson back to his old self. Millar shocking. 

I can't remember a Charlton squad I've disliked more.
    We played better first half overall. The 30 minutes between half time and the equaliser was god awful.
  • Very fortunate to get a draw. 

Very little quality,  pace or intensity. As usual. 

Second half was dreadful.  

Too many old blokes going through the motions for my liking. 

Basically, we are not very good. 
  • Bowyer’s had a haircut 
  • Bowyer on VP:

”Pros and cons. First half we started well, should have been leading at HT”
    ”We didn’t do the same second half. Stopped doing the things that caused them problems. We were slow and the tempo stopped”
    ”they got a goal and we had to make changes as we were sluggish”
    ”we became better team again. If Chuks scores we win the game. Conor took his chance well”
    ”but we could have lost the game. Vulnerable on the counter attack”
    ”point better than nothing. Disappointed. But players should be proud of themselves how many games they’re playing. They kept fighting until the end”