Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roy Hodgson on overambition for Palace.

Comments

• Options
    the same people calling for bowyer's head are the same that wanted rid of curbs.

Which should tell you all you need to know.

I'm sorry? With curbishley we reached a ceiling of where we could be and the club could go no further. Comfortable premier league club. Under bowyer we are heading towards mid table league 1!!!!. Are we supposed to accept that?
    i legit remember reading on various charlton message boards at the time that curbs had run out of ideas, had lost the respect of key players and we were playing negative football in a turgid 451 system and that we shouldnt accept that and get some one else in with fresh ideas. 
  • Options
    the same people calling for bowyer's head are the same that wanted rid of curbs.

I'm sorry? With curbishley we reached a ceiling of where we could be and the club could go no further. Comfortable premier league club. Under bowyer we are heading towards mid table league 1!!!!. Are we supposed to accept that?
    i legit remember reading on various charlton message boards at the time that curbs had run out of ideas, had lost the respect of key players and we were playing negative football in a turgid 451 system and that we shouldnt accept that and get some one else in with fresh ideas. 
    What 'various Charlton message boards' were these then?

Certainly no more than a few dissenting voices on here and ITTV didn't exist when Curbs was Manager.
  • Options
    I've become mildly obsessed with the notion that Fulham are going to soar out of the relegation zone and Palace will slide in there. What a day that'd be.

It'll end up being Newcastle going down on goal difference, won't it?
  • Options
    Spoke to a Palace fan this morning, who wants him out the door, 1 year left on his contract (4 million a year!) and lots of players contracts up in the Summer, thinks the football they are playing is turgid, and they need fresh impetus, and a rebuild, Eddie Howe incoming?

Lose tonight v Brighton , and against Fulham and Roys on shaky ground with the fans.
    I half expect them to move Roy upstairs to a DoF type role and appoint Lampard.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

What 'various Charlton message boards' were these then?

Certainly no more than a few dissenting voices on here and ITTV didn't exist when Curbs was Manager.
    addickted.net and the bizarre at times your views part of the official site.
  • Options
    Spoke to a Palace fan this morning, who wants him out the door, 1 year left on his contract (4 million a year!) and lots of players contracts up in the Summer, thinks the football they are playing is turgid, and they need fresh impetus, and a rebuild, Eddie Howe incoming?

Lose tonight v Brighton , and against Fulham and Roys on shaky ground with the fans.
    One question....why are you talking to a palace fan 😂
  • Options

Pretty bold and stupid statement there without much evidence to back it up.

I never once called for curbishleys head. It was obvious he had taken us as far as he could but that was pretty far and I was quiet happy meeting teams like Liverpool and Chelsea at home and finishing 12. I know people that called for his head and they stopped going to games once we got relegated from the Prem.

im now in the bowyer out camp because we are two divisions lower than the curbs days and play pretty boring football where we are supposed to get excited when we score two second have goals at home to rochdale. There are very few Charlton supporters alive that have seen Charlton finish lower than 13th in the third tier of English football but there is a massive risk of that happening this season. 

• Options
    Off_it said:
    So Hodgson said this,

“People need to be careful,” he said. “When Alan Curbishley left Charlton many years ago, they were constantly in the top half of the table, it was because fans were not happy and thought that finishing in the top half wasn’t enough and that they needed to kick on. They did, they kicked downwards and that is the only problem. You have to be careful."

We've all heard the "Charlton fans wanted him out" bullshit in the past, but this is now suggesting that this WAS the reason he left - due to the fans wanting him gone - which is even bigger bullshit.

There was no collective campaign to get rid of him. Sure, a few idiots rang up phone-ins to say he should go and I can even remember a couple of the people I went with at the time suggesting that maybe his time had come, but then you always get some idiots who want to sack the manager regardless of what has or hasn't gone on.

The vast majority of fans clearly wanted him to stay, but we understood why he was leaving, wished him well and have welcomed him back at almost every opportunity since (the big exception being when he managed West Ham against us!)
    We welcomed him back that day because we scored 4 against him!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021

One question....why are you talking to a palace fan 😂
    Because you lot are nuts at times! :-:wink:

Work related, known him a long time, never one to moan about Palace, appreciates where they’ve come from , doesn’t take premier league footie for granted, also mentioned about Roy going upstairs.

My cousin also supports Palace, I asked him, why why Palace??? He said he was told at school if he didn’t support Palace he’d get beaten up, I thought it would be the other way round!!

Last time I spoke to my cousin was just when Palace let in their 7th goal against Liverpool, I haven’t had the gall to phone him since!

• Options
    edited February 2021
    im now in the curbs out camp because we are a few places lower than the 7th place days and play pretty boring football where we are supposed to get excited when we score two second have goals at home to Middlesborough. There are very few Charlton supporters alive that have seen Charlton finish lower than 13th in the top tier of English football but there is a massive risk of that happening this season. 
    fixed that for you.
  • Options
    I've become mildly obsessed with the notion that Fulham are going to soar out of the relegation zone and Palace will slide in there. What a day that'd be.

It'll end up being Newcastle going down on goal difference, won't it?
    I've allowed myself to join that camp too, only weeks after I'd told myself to forget about them dropping this season. Lose tonight and against Fulham and it becomes a possibility but Newcastle look shot to bits so Palace will probably survive again. 
  • Options
    Said on another thread that whenever we talk like this Palace go on a winning run.
  • Options
    I knew Zaha was important to them, but according to the BBC tonight, they have lost 18 of the last 20 games they've played without him, and failed to score in 16 of those.  I think if he stays fit there are easily 3 worse teams than Palace but that's a pretty stark statistic.
  • Options
    No Zaha tonight , oh and they’re fucking winning 
    Cnuts ain’t going down this season ffs 
    it’s like a Millwall relegation thread , whenever we mention either of these cnuts might go down the opposite happens 

well Charlton aren’t going up are they , we all reckon that .....
  • Options
    Fluked their way into the Premiership at the ultimate sweet spot!

Brings a little bit of sick to my mouth every time I think about it...  Grrrrr!
  • Options
    Palace record v Brighton lately is similar to Millwall v us (off the top of my head).
  • Options
    Just read what this Nigel says? Such a boring club that always play boring football and they just cannot understand that everyone laughs about them?  And as for Grandad? Look up your history before talking sxxx when Palarse do not renew your contract!!

https://www.onemorepoint.co.uk/the-ghost-of-clownton-past
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Come on Brighton do a Golfie  ....1-1
  • Options
    Come on Brighton do a Golfie  ....1-1
    Let's hope so. :smiley:
  • Options
    Just read what this Nigel says? Such a boring club that always play boring football and they just cannot understand that everyone laughs about them?  And as for Grandad? Look up your history before talking sxxx when Palarse do not renew your contract!!

https://www.onemorepoint.co.uk/the-ghost-of-clownton-past
    Wankers club, to a man. 
  • Options
    Palace record v Brighton lately is similar to Millwall v us (off the top of my head).
    Just had a look. Not even close. They tend to share the points quite evenly 
  • Options
    Brighton’s finishing to blame for the loss
  • Options
    I thank you :smile:
  • Options
    Unbelievable 2-1 Palarse.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Ben White you absolute idiot. 

That’s one of the worst pieces of individual play I’ve ever seen.

Poor touch. Mishit cross. Spoons the ball in the air under little pressure.

Honestly WTF was that.