Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jake Forster Caskey - waiting to hear if club will exercise 1 year option (p11)

Comments

• Options
    Also possible that TS thinks it’s not a good look for his Healthcare company if he throws a player out on his ear having been injured at the club he owns?
  • Options
    Hope he's fully recovered before he joins Birmingham.  
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Great gig if you can get it. Sign for a football team for a year when you are currently injured & not likely to feature for at least 6 months.

Imagine that in any other walk of life. 

Oh, I dunno.

Plenty of people break a leg, accident, get ill or mental breakdown.
    Many employers will look after them on full pay for 6 months. 

It's not like JFC has just walked in off the street - he's been employed at Charlton for 4 years already.

Not really the same though is it. He was (quite rightly) paid whilst off "sick". But his contract has finished. As from June 30th he was no longer an employee. 

Imagine a brickie or chippy on a building site who are on a 6 month contract. 2 months to go & they fall off the scaffolding & do their coccyx. Employer carries on paying them until their contract ends. Do you really think that they would re-employ them for another year knowing that for the next 6 months they wouldnt be able to work at all. And pay them for those 6 months whilst they were off "sick".
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    Great gig if you can get it. Sign for a football team for a year when you are currently injured & not likely to feature for at least 6 months.

Imagine that in any other walk of life. 

Oh, I dunno.

Plenty of people break a leg, accident, get ill or mental breakdown.
    Many employers will look after them on full pay for 6 months. 

It's not like JFC has just walked in off the street - he's been employed at Charlton for 4 years already.

Not really the same though is it. He was (quite rightly) paid whilst off "sick". But his contract has finished. As from June 30th he was no longer an employee. 

Imagine a brickie or chippy on a building site who are on a 6 month contract. 2 months to go & they fall off the scaffolding & do their coccyx. Employer carries on paying them until their contract ends. Do you really think that they would re-employ them for another year knowing that for the next 6 months they wouldnt be able to work at all. And pay them for those 6 months whilst they were off "sick".
    But those brickies aren't worth money to another contractor, footballers under contract have a financial transfer value.
  • Options
    I think some of us are at risk of reminding the rest what short memories we have. When the Circus of all circus’ was in town last summer (no TS quite yet) and we were fearing we would no longer have our beloved club to follow, some pros decided to commit, fully aware of the sh*t show in the background and risk to their financial livelihood (if said Circus failed to meet pay etc. which we discussed a great deal on this site). Very few players ‘love’ the club they play for, unless on the rare occasion, they grew up supporting the club they are playing for. JFC did the right thing by us when he could have easily walked for a more assured livelihood last summer which I haven’t forgotten. I am really pleased he has signed again and TS/NA is rewarding him and doing the honourable thing for his loyalty last summer.
    So JFC was out of contract last summer and signed a one year deal?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I think some of us are at risk of reminding the rest what short memories we have. When the Circus of all circus’ was in town last summer (no TS quite yet) and we were fearing we would no longer have our beloved club to follow, some pros decided to commit, fully aware of the sh*t show in the background and risk to their financial livelihood (if said Circus failed to meet pay etc. which we discussed a great deal on this site). Very few players ‘love’ the club they play for, unless on the rare occasion, they grew up supporting the club they are playing for. JFC did the right thing by us when he could have easily walked for a more assured livelihood last summer which I haven’t forgotten. I am really pleased he has signed again and TS/NA is rewarding him and doing the honourable thing for his loyalty last summer.
    So JFC was out of contract last summer and signed a one year deal?
    The option was exercised, along with Williams and Amos.  Wasn't 100% clear who exercised it.  IIRC
  • Options
    we've done the right thing by him it seems and hopefully he can come back and be a useful squad member - if we are serious about automatic promotion, he wouldn't be in my starting line up even if he hadn't got injured - jfc signing is going to make no difference to our aims this season, same as watson and pearce, albeit they will be good fellas to have in and around the starters who need to do the biz for us.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    we've done the right thing by him it seems and hopefully he can come back and be a useful squad member - if we are serious about automatic promotion, he wouldn't be in my starting line up even if he hadn't got injured - jfc signing is going to make no difference to our aims this season, same as watson and pearce, albeit they will be good fellas to have in and around the starters who need to do the biz for us.
    If Jake had been our 3rd or 4th best midfielder last season we would have gone up.  It was the fact he was our best, by far, that was the problem.  He wouldn't have got in the team with Cullen, Beilik and Aribo, but Reeves, Lapslie and Marshall played over 40 games between them.

It's a squad game. Pre injury you weren't getting 6 center mids better than him. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    If Jake had been our 3rd or 4th best midfielder last season we would have gone up.  It was the fact he was our best, by far, that was the problem.  He wouldn't have got in the team with Cullen, Beilik and Aribo, but Reeves, Lapslie and Marshall played over 40 games between them.

It's a squad game. Pre injury you weren't getting 6 center mids better than him. 
    correct, i'd expect at least 3 better - it wasn't til cullen came back from injury that we could start playing our strongest midfield - the 3 u mention plus williams and it was only then that we started looking like a promotion side - if reeves, lapslie, marshall and to an extent, pratley, had been mainstays we woiuldn't have gone up - i put jfc in that category  
  • Options
    JFC is definitely a league 1 promotion calibre player. How he fairs when he comes back we will have to see but before his injury it was the best I had seen him for us. In a midfield 3 he looks very good. In a 2 he needs a destroyer next to him, worked well with Kashi. I imagine him and Dobson would work well together in a 2 from what we have seen and heard 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    So that’s three players we’ve signed who are not going to make a difference to our aims this season. Big gamble.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    So that’s three players we’ve signed who are not going to make a difference to our aims this season. Big gamble.
    Players are generally signed when available rather than in any sequence of priority.

Although new players should be signed that improve and upgrade the squad; and perhaps therefore are considered 1st choice for the team. That creates keen competition for 1st team places too.
    We don't really want to bring in reserves. 

Like you intimate, Large - me too, I would hope we're soon to bring in younger quicker players with ability.
    Re-signing 3 of last season's team at least helps give the squad depth and experience.

• Options
    Expect a better first choice CM to be coming in regardless of JFC staying on, good squad player to have (well for a few months anyway).  I doubt he's on a big wedge and the extra year covers us if he comes back in and has a good end to the season.

Gilbey - Morgan
    Dobson - Watson
    CM - JFC
    Vennings
  • Options
    No brainer this one. Hopefully he recovers well
  • Options
    wow
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:

The more I think about it he probably would have got in that promotion side. We’d have pushed Aribo up to the tip of the diamond and played JFC on the left side. Aribo played a few games there and no one really made it their role all season - we had Ward in the first half and Williams in the second, but they didn’t always start games.

Saying that had he been fit it might have meant a different type of midfielder would have been brought in rather than Cullen.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Don’t leave it there , spill the beans Redhenry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    wow

I said a couple of years ago you were a man of few words but......
  • Options
    The midfield needs major work imo.  Even with Dobson.  I’m not convinced about Gilbey, despite his run of games at the end of last season.  Agree with Doucher and Callum re: JFC.  Like Watson and Pearce, irrelevant signings as far as I am concerned.  

We have to remember that the team that got 7th last season pretty much coughed and spluttered it’s way there, despite the run of unbeaten games under Adkins.  I’m not excited about retaining the majority of that side.  In an ideal world, hardly any of last season’s cast list would be part of this season’s squad, but I know football doesn’t work like that.  I get the argument that had we had the form we showed under Adkins across the season, we would’ve gone up, but that’s purely hypothetical.  We don’t know if Adkins could’ve kept that up with those group of players across 46 games.  

The worry for me is that if we do fall short in bringing in new faces, suddenly the likes of Pearce play 30 odd games.  It could happen.  Then it will be a repeat of last season where we get everyone lauding his one warrior’s performance against Burton away or something, all the ‘well played Skip’ tweets etc etc, but what about the other 9 games.  

I know Adkins said he and Watson aren’t guaranteed first team football.  However, we do need to make sure these re-signings are just what they should be, squad players and players that can come on 10 mins from the end.  
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    We are building up a good squad for the training ground at Sparrows lane with JFC,Watson, Pearce etc, but the team that starts the first match in 4 weeks time is still short of a promotion winning team.

Not sure if all out fans appreciate the paradox of the players we required for a promotion push will also be players that 10 or so clubs in the Championship may want as well. It easier getting Bogle to sign than a Joe Pigott  for example. 

I have total trust that Thomas, Steve, Nigel, JJ are doing their up most to bring in the right players for a promotion push. If players are brought in nearer to when the window shuts at the end of August it really isn't ideal. No problem with one late addition similar to Yann after the season has started but the next two weeks are critical.*

* Patented by Jimmy Seed and my cheque is in the post James. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    wow
    I guess you've just seen the trainspotting thread.

8 trains in 40 seconds. 

• Options
    part of me would've preferred we let go of JFC, he's on the wage bill now injured for the entire season. 
  • Options
    part of me would've preferred we let go of JFC, he's on the wage bill now injured for the entire season. 
    I don't think Sandgaard will be waltzing around the ground with a bucket to fund this.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    JFC is definitely a league 1 promotion calibre player. How he fairs when he comes back we will have to see but before his injury it was the best I had seen him for us. In a midfield 3 he looks very good. In a 2 he needs a destroyer next to him, worked well with Kashi. I imagine him and Dobson would work well together in a 2 from what we have seen and heard 
    Is he? He’s never been promoted out of this division.

A list of seasons he’s played more than 10 appearances, the team and where they placed:

12/13, Oxford, 9th in League Two
    13/14, Brighton, 6th in Championship
    14/15, Brighton, 20th in Championship
    15/16, MK Dons, 23rd in Championship
    16/17, Charlton, 13th in League One
    17/18, Charlton, 6th in League One
    19/20, Charlton, 22nd in Championship
    20/21, Charlton, 7th in League One

He has exactly zero promotions in a decade long career, plus two relegations, narrowly avoiding a third with Brighton before they moved him on.

He’s a battler but I’ve never been convinced he’s a winner.
    Yes, some players you can just tell are good enough but sometimes it just doesn't happen for whatever reason, countless examples that I won't list for the risk of being asked if I am comparing him to x player. If he was fit he would have got a championship move probably, that to me says he is good enough to get promoted from this league, especially in the right formation 
  • Options
    Clubs do insure players too, so we are probably not considering all variables here if focusing on the monetary impact. 
  • Options
    We’ve got a tough start to the season, particularly in August, need to hit the ground running so to speak.