Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Valley Pitch

Comments

• Options
    Pelham123 said:
    They shifted tons of snow off it in December to get the game on. Don’t suppose that did it any good.
    Snow actually behaves like a greenhouse, but if it fell on frozen ground it may have warmed the top half inch or so only.
    This may have resulted in the grass roots breaking away at the frozen part of the ground.
    Just speculation on my part, but possible. 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Pelham123 said:
    They shifted tons of snow off it in December to get the game on. Don’t suppose that did it any good.
    I think that Cheltenham game, which we lost, messed the pitch up. That was the one where we were going to use the undersoil heating but didn't have any oil for the boiler.
    Someone ordered in an inappropriate temporary boiler, I believe the terminology used was........"It was more suited to heating a couple of flats than a football pitch".
    In fact someone saw exactly the same model boiler heating the academy rooms at Sparrows Lane and thought "Thats exactly what we need at The Valley for the pitch" and ordered it.
    As if someone would want to try to make a name for themselves and do something like that?
    Morning Burger Boy. ;)
    As an aside to this..............When you've made as many friends both past and present as Burger boy, when you f*** up, my phone goes into melt down with the amount people wanting to tell all about it. 
  • Options
    2nd annual museum volunteers outing last night 

First a Valley tour with @KillersBeard then a meal in the New Viceroy, the only restaurant in Charlton Village with a 2022/23 on the wall. Excellent food and value.

Delighted to be able to thank our band of fantastic volunteers for all their great work.

But relevance to this thread are the photos of the pitch being reconstructed

• Options
    Is it a better reconstruction than last summer?
  • Options
    who's paying for that

;) 
  • Options
    who's paying for that

;) 
    The museum paid for the food and drink 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    who's paying for that

;) 
    Yeah, I heard you sold some old rags from 1947 to pay for the poppadums
  • Options
    who's paying for that

;) 
    I was referring to the pitch maintenance
  • Options
    who's paying for that

;) 
    Yeah, I heard you sold some old rags from 1947 to pay for the poppadums
    Yeah, tatty old shirts but got £20 each
  • Options
    Afraid we're a football museum not a horticultural consultantancy so can't express a valid opinion at this stage 

: - )
    Being a pedant at times, the word in this case is Turfculture, grounds staff central concern is turf not flowers.
    Get it right next time 😇😉
  • Options
    who's paying for that

;) 
    Each member of the Methven consortium will pay for one blade of grass each
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Ain't the pitch lovely and flat now, after that kind Belgian man paid to get the hump in the middle of the pitch removed, and shortly before that naughty Belgian lady, paid to have some couple hump in the the middle of the pitch.
  • Options
    Seems they've started on the pitch early this year. Usually it's hired out during late may/early june before reconstruction starts mid-June. This year there's been no hiring out at all it seems (certainly not received the usual adverts regarding hiring the pitch)

Would indicate the major reconstruction that's been clearly needed, and avoided for the last few years, is finally being done.
    I know that it was used for hire last Saturday. 
  • Options
    They will have it in tip top condition for the start of the season will we get VAR now palace are coming to use it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Don’t think we have any thing to worry about with our pitch. This is Reading, I am no expert but…..
  • Options
    Yeah but aren't Reading in the shit financially? 
  • Options
    If Palace come we will need to get a boiler. But before undersoil heating I think the learning from last season is not to bust a gut to get a game on as per Cheltenham as the damage it does to the pitch is lasting.
  • Options
    Don’t forget the pitch covers weren’t even in the borough let alone on the pitch, the executive decision to send the covers to VCD in an attempt to get the women’s game on meaning The Valley pitch was already frozen before the covers went on. 

• Options
    We've been bought by an ice hockey team.
  • Options
    Don’t know why they bothered reseeding. After all, there wasn’t much football played on that pitch last season.