Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Valley Pitch

Comments

• The east terrace has changed since the last home game.
  • That`s what happens when the supporters go missing.
  • How has it got so bad this season? 

Also, how comes it is attracting pigeons? 
  • mendonca said:
    How has it got so bad this season? 

Cos Burger Boy forced out the groundsman cos he thought he knew better.
    Now they’re playing catch up & the weather hasn’t helped.

The pigeons have always been an issue.
  • Please stop calling him Burger boy, you know he doesn’t like it. …………… 
    ………
    In case you missed, a 28 year service Groundsman quit in the last week or so. 🤷‍♂️
  • T_C_E said:
    Don't they usually advertise The Valley pitch for use in the close season...I might apply, I need somewhere to grow me spuds and seasonal veg... ;)
    Keohane will be on the phone to Colorado first thing in the morning.

What for?  An infestation of beetles maybe?  ;)

(One for the gardeners...)
  • edited March 2023
    mendonca said:

The chief pigeon fancier (burger boy) is flying his mates in!
  • Sponsored links:

• Who is this fuckwit?  This club is so toxic, i mean i miss attending and CL is my only real connection nowadays but why are toxic twats like this character allowed to prosper?

I'll answer these questions myself of course, as I am 60 years old and have seen chancers like this in every walk of life but it does still frazzle my niblets...
  • edited March 2023
    At the end of the day this all falls on tight Tommy’s shoulders, on his watch he has reduced the playing squad to a laughing stock, decimated the backroom staff and ruined the pitch we used to win awards for.
    We didn't win awards when the pitch looked like a ploughed field because of the collapsed drainage.
  • Crusty54 said:
    At the end of the day this all falls on tight Tommy’s shoulders, on his watch he has reduced the playing squad to a laughing stock, decimated the backroom staff and ruined the pitch we used to win awards for.
    We didn't win awards when the pitch looked like a ploughed field because of the collapsed drainage.
    I never said we did 
  • edited March 2023
    T_C_E said:
    Crusty54 said:
    There was a problem in 2014 with drainage, but nothing since.
    Confirmed by former groundsman Nathan Chapman from a bar in Cyprus about 10 minutes ago.   😉😂
    There were big problems until new drainage was installed and the pitch was relaid by the same firm that worked on Wembley stadium.

• mendonca said:

This might upset a few people but when I worked on the Valley pitch with Maurice Banham as a kid during the summer hols and on weekends in the late 70's we used to shoot the pigeons in the old West Stand with a shotgun. 
  • Sponsored links:

• ct_addick said:
    mendonca said:

This might upset a few people but when I worked on the Valley pitch with Maurice Banham as a kid during the summer hols and on weekends in the late 70's we used to shoot the pigeons in the old West Stand with a shotgun. 
    Vermin, Fawlty 

• What exactly is wrong with the pitch?
    From the East stand, the grass appears (to my eyes) to be green and lush, although it has an odd texture, almost a spray on effect in places.
    The goal mouths appear to be kept in good condition, compared with the 'just ploughed' condition that was rife during the 1970/80s at most grounds.
    Perhaps there is a catering professional within the club, who is also an expert groundsman, who could provide an explanation?

• ct_addick said:
    mendonca said:

And we had a cat. 
  • T_C_E said:
    Crusty54 said:
    There was a problem in 2014 with drainage, but nothing since.
    Confirmed by former groundsman Nathan Chapman from a bar in Cyprus about 10 minutes ago.   😉😂
    Not a lot before either it's like they was letting it flood on purpose 
  • They shifted tons of snow off it in December to get the game on. Don’t suppose that did it any good.
  • ct_addick said:
    mendonca said:

Derek “killer” Hales per chance?
  • Pelham123 said:
    They shifted tons of snow off it in December to get the game on. Don’t suppose that did it any good.
    I think that Cheltenham game, which we lost, messed the pitch up. That was the one where we were going to use the undersoil heating but didn't have any oil for the boiler.
  • What exactly is wrong with the pitch?
    From the East stand, the grass appears (to my eyes) to be green and lush, although it has an odd texture, almost a spray on effect in places.
    The goal mouths appear to be kept in good condition, compared with the 'just ploughed' condition that was rife during the 1970/80s at most grounds.
    Perhaps there is a catering professional within the club, who is also an expert groundsman, who could provide an explanation?

From behind the Covered Upper where I am it looks very patchy and bobbly throughout in general. Also the immediate surrounding perimeter looks dark and tired. I remember when this was first put in think it's a 4G type surround it looked class and made the pitch look bigger.

As others have said it probably didn't help getting a few games on like Cheltenham, Bristol Rovers but then again I'm no expert either it's not like this winter weather has been a one off either.
  • Pelham123 said:
    They shifted tons of snow off it in December to get the game on. Don’t suppose that did it any good.
    The pitch did look quite poor after that.