Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vaccine

Comments

• Options
    Had mine yesterday felt very liberating! 
    It's this reaction that concerns me a little. It's perfectly understandable to feel a degree of relief that one's received an initial vaccination but I worry that too many people will let their guard down as a result.

I'm not saying you personally will do this but looking around my town and speaking to businesses and those in front line roles there's definitely a creeping attitude of complacency. With that comes recklessness and risk. My own mother's peer group for example are already "bending" their interpretation of the rules on the basis they've now all been jabbed. 

The fact is most of us haven't been vaccinated and very, very few of us have been fully immunised. I think this was alluded to in yesterday's briefing but something we all need to be mindful of. 

Probably mean it more than after this dreadful year there is light at the end of the tunnel. 
    Not like right I am off to the pub or on holiday !!
    Apologies, if wasn't intended as a dig at you if that's how it came across. Just a general point that imo there's been a change in approach from some as a result of being jabbed. 

BTW, I can 100% guarantee that there are people who are in Bournemouth, and presumably other seaside towns, today, who are having a holiday. 
  • Options
    I'm fairly certain that Drinkaware would advise you to stop drinking whether you're having the vaccine or not.
    This. When I googled it, I was sent to a diabetic page. Pretty sure what their advice would be
  • Options
    So glad you've had your jab, @Arsenetatters - every incentve to get the new hens settled quickly so if you do get a reaction this evening you can nurse yourself!

Did you ever manage to solve the problem of getting a polytunnel Ritz erected for the hens?
  • Options
    Just had a call - 2.30 tomorrow afternoon... 👍😊 
    good news mate
  • Options
    Just back from having the Pfizer jab
    If that doesn't send you to sleep, the football will....
  • Options
    Just had a call - 2.30 tomorrow afternoon... 👍😊 
    A shame it wasn't this afternoon!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    Just back from having the Pfizer jab
    If that doesn't send you to sleep, the football will....
    Just my luck it was 2pm and not 3. 
  • Options
    robroy said:
    I don’t think the government will say don’t drink as loads of people won’t get the jab, because giving up booze for two weeks will fill some with dread. 

I had mine yesterday and I’m off the booze, that’s mainly due to my partner being full term.

Yes - the thought of no Rioja for 2 weeks is horrific !!!

In fact, if I had to abstain for 2 weeks, I may well end up in hospital !!!
    Agree, and I know your only joking. but in all seriousness, if you were told that after having the jab if you drink alcohol it will lessen the chance of it being effective, wouldn’t it make you think twice? 

if people can’t go two weeks without a drink to give a vaccine the maximum chance of potentially saving their life, then they’ve a serious problem they need to address badly. 

Im surprised not more official guidance has been given on this 
    From what I understand its not that alcohol itself had any effect on the effectiveness of the vaccine but its more that affect your bodys immune response in the same way as tiredness or being run down can. 

Its the same as saying avoid having a poor night's sleep or over working after the vaccine. Now its easier to avoid alcohol than those. The point is that one beer isn't likely to have any impact but drinking regularly or excessively could inhibit your immune response.
  • Options
    robroy said:
    I don’t think the government will say don’t drink as loads of people won’t get the jab, because giving up booze for two weeks will fill some with dread. 

I had mine yesterday and I’m off the booze, that’s mainly due to my partner being full term.

Yes - the thought of no Rioja for 2 weeks is horrific !!!

In fact, if I had to abstain for 2 weeks, I may well end up in hospital !!!
    Agree, and I know your only joking. but in all seriousness, if you were told that after having the jab if you drink alcohol it will lessen the chance of it being effective, wouldn’t it make you think twice? 

if people can’t go two weeks without a drink to give a vaccine the maximum chance of potentially saving their life, then they’ve a serious problem they need to address badly. 

Im surprised not more official guidance has been given on this 
    From what I understand its not that alcohol itself had any effect on the effectiveness of the vaccine but its more that affect your bodys immune response in the same way as tiredness or being run down can. 

Its the same as saying avoid having a poor night's sleep or over working after the vaccine. Now its easier to avoid alcohol than those. The point is that one beer isn't likely to have any impact but drinking regularly or excessively could inhibit your immune response.
    Yes, alcohol in general affects your immune system, rather than there being a specific effect of alcohol on the vaccine

On the positive side fear (flight or fight) is good for the immune system, as are cold showers!
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    FFS why are we expecting teachers to go back to work without vaccinations?  If you are a local authority adult social care manager who works from home, never sees a patient, does all your supervisions by MS teams - you get the vaccine.  If you are a primary school teaching assistant working across several groups of children you are expected to go into work and have the little darlings grabbing you and coughing in your face all day long and wearing a mask is frowned on.  Utter hypocrisy.
    Not sure this is right, I think it's only front line care workers who are prioritised. If their manager gets a jab it'll be for other reasons. 

Speaking as someone who's in a front line, public facing role myself I do find it strange that some areas are moving on to vaccinating the under 40's while, in general, we aren't doing more focused vaccinations based on occupational factors. Like teaching, police, etc. I'm in my mid-50's and haven't heard a ducky bird yet so I'm just sitting tight. 

I think the reason given was it was basically too difficult to roll out on that basis and I presume they've considered it carefully but it does seem to create inconsistencies. 
  • Options
    Had the Astra Zenca yesterday. No problems, however my resting heartbeat shot up to 56 from 53 overnight, done a 2 hour dog work and then 15 minutes on my rowing machine, got a PB this morning of 587 on a program I've been using. first attempt on 14th Jan was 463.
    Show off!
  • Options
    FFS why are we expecting teachers to go back to work without vaccinations?  If you are a local authority adult social care manager who works from home, never sees a patient, does all your supervisions by MS teams - you get the vaccine.  If you are a primary school teaching assistant working across several groups of children you are expected to go into work and have the little darlings grabbing you and coughing in your face all day long and wearing a mask is frowned on.  Utter hypocrisy.
    Not sure this is right, I think it's only front line care workers who are prioritised. If their manager gets a jab it'll be for other reasons. 

Speaking as someone who's in a front line, public facing role myself I do find it strange that some areas are moving on to vaccinating the under 40's while, in general, we aren't doing more focused vaccinations based on occupational factors. Like teaching, police, etc. I'm in my mid-50's and haven't heard a ducky bird yet so I'm just sitting tight. 

I think the reason given was it was basically too difficult to roll out on that basis and I presume they've considered it carefully but it does seem to create inconsistencies. 
    Frontline care workers are vaccinated because of the risk to the people they work with, not because of the risk to themselves.

Yes, you are right, giving the vaccine on the basis of occupation generally is considered likely to slow down the giving of the vaccine overall so was dismissed as the basis for allocation.

Ms AA (61) and I (62), in Sydenham, had the AstraZeneca one yesterday, I've got a slight headache this morning but I often do anyway, probably because of my bad sleep, Ms AA felt a little rough last night but is OK to-day.  We went on the NHS website and booked on Thursday, even though the website says you have to be 64 or older.  I guess they let though slightly younger people if they've got projected capacity.  Certainly no one in the queue looked to anything like 64 or older.
  • Options

Frontline care workers are vaccinated because of the risk to the people they work with, not because of the risk to themselves.

Yes, you are right, giving the vaccine on the basis of occupation generally is considered likely to slow down the giving of the vaccine overall so was dismissed as the basis for allocation.

Ms AA (61) and I (62), in Sydenham, had the AstraZeneca one yesterday, I've got a slight headache this morning but I often do anyway, probably because of my bad sleep, Ms AA felt a little rough last night but is OK to-day.  We went on the NHS website and booked on Thursday, even though the website says you have to be 64 or older.  I guess they let though slightly younger people if they've got projected capacity.  Certainly no one in the queue looked to anything like 64 or older.
    I am 61, but booked via the NHS website & have an appointment for Tuesday this week at the Excel Centre.
    If anybody else wants to try to book an appointment try using this link
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/
  • Options
    edited February 2021
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Had the Astra Zenca yesterday. No problems, however my resting heartbeat shot up to 56 from 53 overnight, done a 2 hour dog work and then 15 minutes on my rowing machine, got a PB this morning of 587 on a program I've been using. first attempt on 14th Jan was 463.
    Show off!
    I posted as a lot of people were saying how ill they felt after having the vaccine, I just wanted to show that’s some people are not affected by it.

Showing off would be saying that after a five mile dog walk this morning, I had a new pb of 592.
  • Options

Nearly two million people aged 60 to 63 in England are now being invited to book their vaccine.

From Monday, people in that age bracket will start receiving letters explaining how to book a jab through the national booking service, NHS England said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56226020

• Options
    My missus (aged 59) was booked in for today so she asked if there were any cancellations for me (aged 60). She called me as I waited in the car park and I was straight in vaccine done and after the 15 minute wait was back in the car and on the way home. Very efficient.  :)
    I got in because some people hadn't turned up. That's the bit I don't get, if you have the opportunity why wouldn't you take it.
    Exactly that, so many people I know are getting it by being proactive and would otherwise have been waiting potentially months. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Got my first jab yesterday. No ill effects so far.

Great service BTW.
  • Options
    Got a letter giving me an appointment for 19th March which wasn’t good for me due to work, but the username given to me (by NHSScotland) enabled me to reschedule and I’ve now got an appointment for Tuesday 2nd 😊
  • Options
    Over 20m now vaccinated.
  • Options
    So - the deed is done, AstraZenica version. Second one about May 23rd. They are telling people to wait for half an hour before going home, here. I guess that is in case of allergic reaction? Told not to lift anything heavy with the injected arm for two days as well.