Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your England Squad For This Summer (vs Romania page 27)

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Croydon said:
    Feel like Bamford is getting the same treatment Darren Bent got.
    On stats alone, Bamford and Watkins were close this season. 17 goals and 7 assists for Bamford, 14 goals and 5 assists for Watkins. Walcott over Bent was different and still a joke to this day. 
    Not as extreme of course, but still leaving behind the second top scorer for players who have scored less. Southgate was supposed to be the champion of picking on form, but DCL has 3 goals in his last 13 games, and Bamford has 3 in his last 4.

• Options
    Not all about goals. 

Bamford isn't that great a player. 

DCL, Watkins and Kane lead the line far better than he does. 
  • Options
    I think Bamford's all round game is good.

Anyway, NO DIER!!!! YESSSSSSS.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I like Godfrey over Dier but I’d maybe have gone Konsa instead.

Theres so much talent in that squad it is ridIculous.
  • Options
    Dropped: 
    Ramsdale
    White
    Greenwood
    Saka
    Maguire (if not fit, Godfrey if he is) 
    Phillips
    Watkins
  • Options
    I think Bamford's all round game is good.

Anyway, NO DIER!!!! YESSSSSSS.
    In a good system. 

Before Bielsa he was an average Championship striker. 
  • Options
    Not all about goals. 

Disagree about DCL,I think he's bang average. Bamford wins headers and holds the ball up superbly.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Not all about goals. 

Disagree about DCL,I think he's bang average. Bamford wins headers and holds the ball up superbly.
    Ultimately if Kane gets injured we have problems. DCL or Bamford would be nowhere near good enough to fill his shoes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Calvert-Lewin: 21 goals in 39 games. 

Bamford: 17 goals in 38 games. 

Bamford 27 years old 

Calvert-Lewin 24 years old
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Not all about goals. 

Ultimately if Kane gets injured we have problems. DCL or Bamford would be nowhere near good enough to fill his shoes.
    If Kane gets injured I’d genuinely put Foden in there. 

Surround him with Grealish and Mount and try to play some really neat stuff.

• Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Croydon said:
    Not all about goals. 

If Kane gets injured I’d genuinely put Foden in there. 

Surround him with Grealish and Mount and try to play some really neat stuff.

I think if Kane was injured, the sensible thing would be play Rashford through the middle.
  • Options
    We have choices up front which is such a change to tournaments over the last 20 years. SGE taking Walcott and leaving out Bent was such a Shocking decision because when injuries hit he still didn't give Walcott a game. 

I wonder how many goals, Bamford, DCL, Watkins or even the superb Harry Kane would score if they played in the same team as Kevin de Bruyne ? ( Harry believes he would improve in that City side with KDB)  After the joke of Sterling being picked over two years for England when he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, and despite the free kicks he won the partnership of a jaded Kane and the profligate Sterling failed us in the Croatian semi final game.

Sterling may be the star of the show if he emulates his club form of two seasons ago but I don't believe he will start in the Champions League final under Pep.

If need be rotate the forwards to keep them fresh. Who knows who may drop out after the two European finals ?  Stand by Danny Welbeck !

Ben White similar to Bellingham scored good goals against Cafc and their careers take off.

So pleased Charlton have helped England !
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I can't think of when you'd really ever play Bamford/Watkins when Kane is healthy, and Calvert-Lewin is more of a straight replacement in terms of stature as a big strong centre forward. I wouldn't take Watkins either and would take Greenwood, think if you need a goal or a bit of magic late you are more likely to want him.

Could have a bit of Michael Owen at 98 about him with just his incredible finishing ability. And in the more likely situation that he (or whoever took that spot instead) doesn't see a minute of football anyway, you might as well take the future possible superstar at 19 than Bamford who has probably had the best season of his career that he will ever have.

I like Bamford but I think there is always such clamour for a player in form at a mid-table to club to take part, when really they aren't ever going to be one of our best 11. 
  • Options
    When you look at some of that midfield and attacking talent it will be absolutely criminal if Southgate plays it safe and not to our real strengths. He needs to be brave as I can imagine many teams at this tournament will dread facing England if we play attacking football. Yes questions still remain over the defence but for once let's make teams worry about what we can do to them and not the other way around.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Hope this isn't too easy, but what is unusual about Ben White at 23, being named in the provision squad ? Unusual but not unique.
    Ben may need Maguire to drop out to make the 26.
  • Options
    I would swap Sterling and replace with Grealish, other than that I like your team
  • Options

Bamford 27 years old 

I think the argument is more about what Bamford does for his team though. His all round play is better, which is surely what a manager wants from someone who leads the line. 

In the premier league this season:

Calvert-Lewin - 16 goals & 0 assists in 32 games
    Bamford - 17 goals & 7 assists in 37 games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bamford 27 years old 

Not all about goals. 

• Options
    Right but you're basically looking for a Kane replacement in the team. We are playing for Kane's skillsets. 

Calvert-Lewin is a lot closer to Kane than Bamford. 

Bamford benefits from a great system around him focusing on a high press and very fast transitions. Outside of that he's a tidy footballer but not someone that stands out leading a line. 
  • Options
    1 thing that England (and England fans/media) need to adapt to and get used to is using the squad. Other nations do it so well.

England teams of the past have had a set starting 11 and certain players that came off the bench. Other international teams would appreciate each individual players strengths and change the team to suit them as well as perhaps forcing a style of play that can beat an opponent.

There is nothing wrong with changing 2, 3 or even 4 players game to game if it suits us tactically. Especially now we have the options available, as the strength in depth has improved greatly.

After a compacted season it will be crucial more than ever before to make the most of squad rotation and using the full benefits of a 26 man squad.
  • Options
    Right but you're basically looking for a Kane replacement in the team. We are playing for Kane's skillsets. 

Calvert-Lewin is a lot closer to Kane than Bamford. 

Bamford benefits from a great system around him focusing on a high press and very fast transitions. Outside of that he's a tidy footballer but not someone that stands out leading a line. 
    Fair point although i'd argue that if we need to replace Kane then it doesn't matter who plays as we'd be fucked.
  • Options
    We've named a 33 man provisional squad.

Spain have named a 24 man squad. Couldn't even be bothered to name the full 26.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Interesting seeing the various stats for Forwards playing for their Clubs:

The stat that interested me before the WC in 2018 was that Sterling had played 27 games without a goal for England, yet was given the advanced forward's role with Kane. At times he was the main striker as Harry is great in the number 10 role as well as the 9.

Sancho has had a disappointing season but has come to life for Dormund since coming back from injury in the last six weeks and realising that his transfer will happen if he performs in the shop window of the Euro's.

Foden and Mount have opportunities to showcase their talents. Grealish is the wild card as sublime talents on the ball but one of the weaker midfielders when out of possession. Henderson as the water carrier and wise older head. Rice the defensive fielder and both doing the hard yards but unglamorous work in the team.

So looking forward to the Euro's after City beat the odious Chelsea in the Champions League final.
  • Options
    Hard to predict how we will do this year. Get our attack firing and we have as good a chance as anyone. 

I’d be happy with a Semi Final with some attacking football on show. I don’t think we are far off being a top side in all honesty.
  • Options
    I do like Henderson in the team. I think he brings a calmness to us and his experience would be hugely beneficial with the likes of Rice, Mount & Foden playing alongside him. Think he will be a big miss if he’s not fit for the Euros.
  • Options
    I do like Henderson in the team. I think he brings a calmness to us and his experience would be hugely beneficial with the likes of Rice, Mount & Foden playing alongside him. Think he will be a big miss if he’s not fit for the Euros.
    Beauty of it being a European wide Euros is the fact that England will be based at St. George's Park... Even if Henderson isnt fit I'd be surprised if he doesnt stick around in some sort of capacity to help with player morale
  • Options
    Very sorry for Konsa, especially with Mings being in the provisional squad!