Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jayden Stockley (Ed. Page 12- 15/6 - SIGNED on permanent deal)

Comments

• Options
    Top scorers in the division, already got 5 players who can play at ST, can’t defend to save our lives, no room to operate with the salary cap, and we’ve gone and signed a striker🤣
        While our two top defenders are still out we will still leak goals and we have to stop this.
    but will also need to score and stop missing so many chances, this new guy could improve that as he does take his chances 👍👍👍
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Preston fans' thoughts here:

https://www.pne-online.net/forum/index.php?threads/stockley-to-charlton-loan-confirmed.3432484/

Not overly fussed to see him go, but complimentary about his character.
    I see what you mean:

"Seems a nice guy.

Hope he doesn't come back."

What the fans of his last club thought isn’t reliable. So many factors go into whether a player does well at a club. Are they good enough? Will they settle in the area? Does the team play in a way which brings out their best? Do they like their team mates? Is their personal life/mental health in a good place?

QPR fans were upset Smyth was allowed out on loan, Gilbey was player of the year at MK Dons. Pompey fans said Bogle was decent but injury prone. Millwall think Amos is no good, Sunderland wanted shot if Matthews, 

Sometimes a change of club revitalizes a player, sometimes they carry on like they did before, and sometimes their form collapses. All that matters to us is what he does here, and we’ll have to wait a dozen games or so to start really figuring out what that will be. 
    I agree with all that, Exiled.

But my post was to highlight a random extract from the Preston forum (where there was a mixed feeling) ...... in direct response to Epsom Addick's post.

No more than that. 

• Options
    Leuth said:
    He won a penalty from Pearce, didn't score 
    Thats not an exclusive club is it though. If Bowyer is bringing in players just because of how they performed against Pearce then we are in real Barney.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    He won a penalty from Pearce, didn't score 
    Thats not an exclusive club is it though. If Bowyer is bringing in players just because of how they performed against Pearce then we are in real Barney.
    Our next signing?

• Options
    meldrew66 said:
    MattF said:
    When were the official photos taken, as he has a beard in them, whereas in that training video he looks like he's had a shave?

Well, he certainly LOOKS Danish!
    Touch of the Bjorn Ironsides about him....good luck mate and welcome to the Valley.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Am happy with this. Bogle has proved himself just a tad below average and we need somebody else.

A MaGennis type is what I'm expecting.
    Boyle is a magennis type, don’t score goals 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I think he is coming in to ensure the ball actually sticks to someone when Chuks is not playing

Biggest problem we have aside from our two centre halves being out is the ball not sticking in the opponents half and letting our players get up and support attacks 
    agreed
  • Options
    MattF said:
    MattF said:
    MattF said:
    When were the official photos taken, as he has a beard in them, whereas in that training video he looks like he's had a shave?

Good spot, photos done yesterday I assume when the news was breaking, must have been here before today if we've been working on it for a few days
    Or even were the photos done before Tuesday's game? Bowyer did seem to think he'd have a new player (presumably Stockley) available for that match
    More than likely, certainly wasn't today
    Just to clarify, video was filmed this morning and the photos were taken about two hours later at The Valley.  
    He has got a beard at training.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Preston fans' thoughts here:

https://www.pne-online.net/forum/index.php?threads/stockley-to-charlton-loan-confirmed.3432484/

Not overly fussed to see him go, but complimentary about his character.
    I see what you mean:

"Seems a nice guy.

Hope he doesn't come back."

What the fans of his last club thought isn’t reliable. So many factors go into whether a player does well at a club. Are they good enough? Will they settle in the area? Does the team play in a way which brings out their best? Do they like their team mates? Is their personal life/mental health in a good place?

QPR fans were upset Smyth was allowed out on loan, Gilbey was player of the year at MK Dons. Pompey fans said Bogle was decent but injury prone. Millwall think Amos is no good, Sunderland wanted shot if Matthews, 

Sometimes a change of club revitalizes a player, sometimes they carry on like they did before, and sometimes their form collapses. All that matters to us is what he does here, and we’ll have to wait a dozen games or so to start really figuring out what that will be. 
    Selecting part quotes is misleading as well. Many are saying he struggled up top on his own and speculated if their manager made the most of his strengths. One thing we know about Bows is that he likes two up top so I pleased he is here with us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jayden Stockley Charlton's number 9!

Welcome and all the best
  • Options
    I like this signing, we need a big bustling CF (as well as Chucks), if we can get the service to him I fancy he'll score a few and of course will be  very handy when defending corners! 
    Welcome Jayden, now show us what you can do. I hope he starts today alongside Ronnie, with Millar and Smyth providing the crosses, maybe Washington playing in the whole behind them?
  • Options
    Stockley and Schwartz on paper seem a textbook "big lump/goalscorer two up front" pairing. We then have the option to try and bring on either pace and running with Washington or a more technically skilled option in Aneke (or both) depending on the circumstances.

On the other hand this IS Charlton so who the hell knows what will actually be the case!!
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I'd like to see Stockley play with Aneke. Why not overload with a certain attribute, in this case physicality?
    What would be interesting with that partnership is Aneke could play higher up the pitch - Stockley would be the hold up player with his back to goal or dropping deep. Other than a short spell alongside Bogle, Aneke has always been the only physical striker up front, so he's been the one who needs to challenge in the air and hold up the ball.

I think this signing will see us mainly stick with 4-4-2. The diamond worked well with Taylor and Grant/Leko who were all mobile and able to run with the ball. Aneke, Schwartz and Stockley should have goals in them, but none of them have genuine pace.
    Aneke has only played 5 minutes alongside Bogle and we scored a goal in those 5 minutes! 
  • Options
    https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/football-news/matt-taylor-nicky-ajoses-continued-4914391

Interesting interview with Matt Taylor, both about Nicky Ajose (a flop at Exeter), but also Jayden Stockley

We have to be realistic, but we have spoken to Preston and we couldn’t get close to what their wage demands would be, even for a loan fee, let alone a permanent and I think Jayden will either go to a club in League Two that can pay astronomical money, or he will go to a big League One club where there is finances," Taylor said. "If not, he will stay in the Championship.

• Options
    Lee just said Stockley on the bench today, Chuks starting.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    My Preston-supporting mate around the corner likes the player and his attitude - he says that, while Stockley lacks a bit of pace, he has great aerial ability - being seemingly able to hang up there - and is a very disruptive player for opposition defences. His view is that, despite signing him, Alex Neil has never made the best use of him.

Whatever transpires, I think we can be assured that Stockley will be a significant upgrade on poor old Omar Bogle. A much needed addition to our forward options.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Yet he would have come in late but started at Peterborough. Umm.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Yet he would have come in late but started at Peterborough. Umm.
    Probably because Aneke was never going to start at Peterborough 
  • Options
    Very happy with this based on his performance against us last year. He was dominant. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Doesn't look a bad signing but another forward wasn't really a priority in my opinion. Wish him the best though.
    it was THE priority, trust me !!!!

Are you still sure a forward was THE priority Douch? Really?!?
  • Options
    From that cameo he looks quite useful.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Put in a new (lower) for Joel Randall at Exeter and offer them Bogle in part exchange as long as they take on his full wages, hopefully Exeter can afford that.

That way, we get the winger Bowyer wants, Bogle is off the wage bill, and Exeter get the striker they’re after.

Everyone’s happy (expect probably Bogle)
    No idea what Bogle is on but let's not forget the salary cap is even less for League 2 clubs. Be surprised if any League 2 club can afford Bogle's current wage. I feel if Bogle goes it will be on loan and we will be paying something of his wages. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Put in a new (lower) for Joel Randall at Exeter and offer them Bogle in part exchange as long as they take on his full wages, hopefully Exeter can afford that.

That way, we get the winger Bowyer wants, Bogle is off the wage bill, and Exeter get the striker they’re after.

No idea what Bogle is on but let's not forget the salary cap is even less for League 2 clubs. Be surprised if any League 2 club can afford Bogle's current wage. I feel if Bogle goes it will be on loan and we will be paying something of his wages. 
    Like with Lapslie and Oztumer loaning Bogle out means that none of his wages count towards our salary cap, so they can have him with us paying all of it if it means we get that sort of exchange 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Sage said:

Like with Lapslie and Oztumer loaning Bogle out means that none of his wages count towards our salary cap, so they can have him with us paying all of it if it means we get that sort of exchange 
    Yes of course. In that case I'm sure he'll go out on loan and I think it's good idea to use that to negotiate a deal for someone like Randall.