Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has Bowyer lost it?

Comments

• Options
    Valley11 said:
     Some wild leaps of faith here from people who have way too much time on their hands. 

I wonder what could possibly be the cause of this hmmm...
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    When you work on a game plan all week, then substitute 4 players at half-time, it really looks like you don't know what you doing. That you got it wrong in the first place and now you're desperate.  Can't see any other way of looking at it.
    We have made at least one substitution at half time in a lot of games in the last 3 months. Multiple times we have changed 2,3 or 4 players. That says a lot.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    This isn't Bowyer's first season either and we haven't heard stories about his behaviour in previous years. 

Something has clearly happened this year that has made Bowyer struggle. Maybe it's the pressure of performing? 

We never saw the press-conference 2021 Bowyer in previous years. Something has gone wrong somewhere. 
    Could have been last year... Solly & Bonne as examples. 
    Is Bonne a good example? Bowyer criticised him - and let's be clear, criticism of players shouldn't go in the same file that bullying goes in - in order to try and drive complacency out of his game. Bonne himself admitted that it spurred him on to do better and show that he could score goals, and it got him a £2m transfer in the summer. He will be earning more money at QPR so he'll see that as a successful move. He scored 11 Championship goals for us in his first season having been a non-league striker before that, but he has 3 goals for QPR this season. I'd say Bowyer knew a thing or two about how to get the best out of him.
    This is what Bonne actually said:

“He [Bowyer] had his methods and in a way it worked. In the moment when he is screaming and shouting I thought ‘he hates me and it must be something personal’.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    This isn't Bowyer's first season either and we haven't heard stories about his behaviour in previous years. 

Something has clearly happened this year that has made Bowyer struggle. Maybe it's the pressure of performing? 

We never saw the press-conference 2021 Bowyer in previous years. Something has gone wrong somewhere. 
    Is Bonne a good example? Bowyer criticised him - and let's be clear, criticism of players shouldn't go in the same file that bullying goes in - in order to try and drive complacency out of his game. Bonne himself admitted that it spurred him on to do better and show that he could score goals, and it got him a £2m transfer in the summer. He will be earning more money at QPR so he'll see that as a successful move. He scored 11 Championship goals for us in his first season having been a non-league striker before that, but he has 3 goals for QPR this season. I'd say Bowyer knew a thing or two about how to get the best out of him.

“He [Bowyer] had his methods and in a way it worked. In the moment when he is screaming and shouting I thought ‘he hates me and it must be something personal’.

Not exactly a glowing indictment and shows LB has been employing this borderline OTT tactic for quite a while...
  • Options
    I would love to win tonight just so we can put some distance between us and the bottom four.

However, after the last few weeks I just can't see it happening. 

If we lose will LB definitely get the sack? 

Probably no... but I suppose it may depend on the manner of the defeat.

Fingers crossed we will surprise everyone and win handsomely.... 

Back to the drugs now! 
  • Options
    Taking out the emotive elements of this debate, people can blame Bowyer and people can blame the players. But surely, ultimately it is a manager's job to get the best out of their team. It can never be the team's job to get the best out of a manager or it would be pointless appointing one. 

If Bowyer had justifications in his approach to the players, does it still make it right if it doesn't make the team perform on the pitch? Isn't that what he is there to do? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Dazzler21 said:

It's actually incredibly unfair to just cherry-pick a quote from an interview without the context around it. That's why this thread has got so horrifically over the top, because of things like this. This was an interview were Bonne was acknowledging how much he'd improved at Charlton. The full quote is:
    “He gave me a rifling after the Millwall game and I went on and scored three times,” said Bonne.

“I’ll be my own critic.

“I should’ve scored more goals – that’s what kills me. I got 11 and I could’ve finished on 15. But if I had taken all of them then I’d be in the Premier League. That’s why I’m not the finished article.

“But he rang me up when I signed for QPR and we had a good chat – he made it clear it was only to improve me. His words were ‘it’s some turnaround’.”

It's very funny that you highlighted a lot of sections of the snippet you quoted (only the snippet, because any more adds context), but you didn't highlight 'in the moment', which is the most important bit. That whole section is Bonne acknowledging that as it happens Bowyer's methods might not have been pleasant, but he came to understand them and they worked on him. You cut off the second paragraph, which is essential to the point he's making, which is that it's harsh but it isn't personal, it's with the player's improvement in mind. I don't particularly like that method myself, but Bonne objectively improved at Charlton, and he's regressed since leaving. Can we stop making Bowyer out to be some kind of monster? He's not doing a good job at the moment but bloody hell.

As Bonne said. He is his own critic. The "screaming and shouting" is something that LB does as a matter of course, If you think that works on every player then that's entirely up to you. But please bear in mind that LB only told Bonne after he left why he was doing it. Until that point Bonne was under the impression that he had it in for him.

What about calling out players in public? Do you think that that's OK too? 

• Options
    Vincenzo said:
    When you work on a game plan all week, then substitute 4 players at half-time, it really looks like you don't know what you doing. That you got it wrong in the first place and now you're desperate.  Can't see any other way of looking at it.

Ort perhaps its says you worked on a game plan all week, which the players then failed to follow so you had to make multiple changes to try and get 11 on who will do what is asked of them. More than one way to slice all of of this.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Lose tonight and I can’t see any way that Sandgaard can really keep Bowyer. That being said, I hope we win and it’s the start of a resurgence - seems unlikely however. 
    I genuinely thought the game was tomorrow! I wish I hadn’t read this, now I’ll have to watch it. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

It's actually incredibly unfair to just cherry-pick a quote from an interview without the context around it. That's why this thread has got so horrifically over the top, because of things like this. This was an interview were Bonne was acknowledging how much he'd improved at Charlton. The full quote is:
    “He gave me a rifling after the Millwall game and I went on and scored three times,” said Bonne.

“I’ll be my own critic.

“I should’ve scored more goals – that’s what kills me. I got 11 and I could’ve finished on 15. But if I had taken all of them then I’d be in the Premier League. That’s why I’m not the finished article.

“But he rang me up when I signed for QPR and we had a good chat – he made it clear it was only to improve me. His words were ‘it’s some turnaround’.”

It's very funny that you highlighted a lot of sections of the snippet you quoted (only the snippet, because any more adds context), but you didn't highlight 'in the moment', which is the most important bit. That whole section is Bonne acknowledging that as it happens Bowyer's methods might not have been pleasant, but he came to understand them and they worked on him. You cut off the second paragraph, which is essential to the point he's making, which is that it's harsh but it isn't personal, it's with the player's improvement in mind. I don't particularly like that method myself, but Bonne objectively improved at Charlton, and he's regressed since leaving. Can we stop making Bowyer out to be some kind of monster? He's not doing a good job at the moment but bloody hell.

As Bonne said. He is his own critic. The "screaming and shouting" is something that LB does as a matter of course, If you think that works on every player then that's entirely up to you.

You're arguing with yourself here, it's definitely not to do with anything I've said. I literally said in my above post 'I don't particularly like that method myself'. I also haven't said anything about it working on every player, Dazzler suggested Bonne as an example of problematic Bowyer behavior and I pointed at that Bonne might not be a good example as he is someone it obviously worked on, before you came in to misrepresent his views by chopping up an interview with him. I think you've got confused.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Dazzler21 said:

“I’ll be my own critic.

As Bonne said. He is his own critic. The "screaming and shouting" is something that LB does as a matter of course, If you think that works on every player then that's entirely up to you.

You're arguing with yourself here, it's definitely not to do with anything I've said. I literally said in my above post 'I don't particularly like that method myself'. I also haven't said anything about it working on every player, Dazzler suggested Bonne as an example of problematic Bowyer behavior and I pointed at that Bonne might not be a good example as he is someone it obviously worked on, before you came in to misrepresent his views by chopping up an interview with him. I think you've got confused.
    It was only after Bonne left that LB told him why he did it. He didn't pull him to one side and say that while he was with us. He left it 'til he was gone and then spoke to him on the phone. He then explained that it wasn't personal but it is the perception of what LB is doing is causing the harm, It doesn't matter whether LB thinks it isn't personal one little bit.

But let's say Bonne is the success story. I really honestly can't say that those methods be it "screaming and shouting" or publicly rebuking the player has improved a single one of them this season. And we've used 32 of them. Most have visibly gone backwards.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Johnny made his best appearance of the season against MK Dons, the game after Bowyer subbed him off and slaughtered him in the press. 
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Ort perhaps its says you worked on a game plan all week, which the players then failed to follow so you had to make multiple changes to try and get 11 on who will do what is asked of them. More than one way to slice all of of this.
    If a week of training hasn't come up with a plan 11 professional players understand it was either a terrible plan or you haven't explained it very well.

Or you chose the wrong players for that plan. It's still not a good look.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

But then you start the same players again and do it again. That's when it makes you look like you don't know what your doing and it destroys players confidence. 

In the Chelsea game on Saturday the commentary team were talking about it.  Hudson-Odi was substituted at half time (it actually turned out to be an injury but they didn't know that at the time) and had been subed as a sub in the previous game. Gary Neville was saying how it's a dangerous game to play with players and a quick way to lose the dressing room.

I know there are more half time subs now, due to the increase but the amount of half time sub we make is unbelievable. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Johnny made his best appearance of the season against MK Dons, the game after Bowyer subbed him off and slaughtered him in the press. 
    Didn't he then drop him the game after? 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Vincenzo said:

If a week of training hasn't come up with a plan 11 professional players understand it was either a terrible plan or you haven't explained it very well.

Or the players cba to apply his plan properly. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Vincenzo said:

Or the players cba to apply his plan properly. 
    If all of the players collectively decide not one of them can be bothered to follow the plan... That's bad management. An entire squad of professionals doesn't just spontaneously give up for no reason.
  • Options
    Firstly I cannot see anything but two defeats in the next two games against Wigan & Oxford.

I think that tonight’s performance will answer a number of questions.

This is now in the hands of the players.
    If they really want Bowyer out, all it will take is another piss poor performance. Another repeat of the Burton or Blackpool performance then Bowyer will surely be dismissed before Saturday.

However if the team try, and give it a real go then it would show that they are still playing for Bowyer. That he hasn’t lost the dressing room and the players do care.

I really wouldn’t like to say what team will show up tonight.

• Options
    7 changes FFS!

It's got to the point where he is dropping players he slagged off last week and replacing them with players he slagged off the week before!

He's nowhere to go with this. I predict another big kick on the gonads tonight.
    Jokers
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!