Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has Bowyer lost it?

Comments

• Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Sorry, haven’t had a chance to read in detail.

The game has changed. Bowyer’s a dinosaur. Always been a bully, hasn’t he? Wasn’t he convicted for it?

Football managers aren’t above the law where workplace bullying is concerned. Bullies need outing.

recently read an article about Andy Petterson who said he liked Curbs because he wasn’t a bully like most managers. Suggests it’s a massive problem in the game and maybe the next FA initiative.
    So when Bowyer goes, we have a limited choice of replacements, Curbs and a minority of other managers.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    What would someone have to say to you to actually make you cry? 

We're moving to Croyden
    Better schools down this way 
  • Options
    Disappointing to see these rumours.

If, and I hasten to add if, these are true then I have no idea why he’s still around.

TS needs to get to the truth.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    so would prefer it if we ended the relationship now before it becomes more toxic. 
    Charlton Life’s very own Marjorie Proops offering good advice here 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Croydon said:
    Tell you one thing, this thread highlights there is a hell of a lot more education to be done around mental health. Men's mental health especially.
    I can't belive the some of the reactions to it, and people wonder why there is a thread about "why is it so hard to talk about mental health" almost permanently on the front page. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    For me, the tell-tale signs we are going nowhere:

- I'm turning into the current Squad and CBA to finish this off after starting it in an okay fashion, as it's harder to apply myself to do so, than just give up.
    Pardon?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    This shows part of Bowyer's problem:

"I know I haven't become a bad manager, I am telling the players the right things every day. 
    You don't have players come here and go onto better things if you're not good, if you don't know what you're talking about. That's me and my coaching staff.

For whatever reason some players in this team that can't take in that information, that can't stop making mistakes. I can't control that, I'm sorry, all I can do now is bring them out the team"

He can't seem to understand that tactically we need to allow for our players mistakes in our tactics and formation etc. The tactics have to be achievable by the players available. You play to their strengths and prepare for their weaknesses. 
  • Options

Perhaps I could provide a small example of what Lee Bowyer is like, and regurgitate an anecdote I told once before. I "won" a chance at the Crossbar challenge and nominated my teenage son for reasons you can guess. Part of the package is to train with u18s at Sparrows Lane a couple of days before the game. Our session was the day after the takeover by our fake sheikh and the charm merchant Southall - November 2019? I walked in to Sparrows lane reception a few minutes after my son and found him chatting to Lee and Keith Peacock. Lee asked why he was there and then offered to coach my son. He spent 30 minutes coaching my son, with the U18s joining in, and seeming very relaxed in his company. Lee was patience itself and could not have been more friendly. Given he had a major game to manage the next day and probably umpteen meetings with new the owners and other leeches, it was act of kindness I won't forget.

I haven't got a Scooby what happens in the changing room. But I do know the Lee Bowyer I met for half an hour was a relaxed and generous man despite the whirl of events that surrounded him at that time.

Outrageous. I'm fuming. He should be giving all his attention to the first team at such a critical time. No wonder we went down last year with his attention split like this. Bowyer out!

Joking ofc - A nice story and good memory for you and your son 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    It is also true that mistakes can breed mistakes. If you make them regularly, you expect to make them and that becomes a problem.
  • Options
    Probably been said on here before but in my opinion, 'What goes on in the dressing room, stays in the dressing room'. These allegations whether true or not do not give anyone involved any credit whatsoever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jessie said:
    I've written quite a few posts on this thread recently but.... I have never said 'I want Bowyer gone' or similar because even now I still hope he can turn it around. I really do. I remember watching an interview with him for the first time (about 3 years ago) and I was a little surprised to see how calm and composed he was. He looked no different than any other experienced managers. I've written (translated) at least two long articles on my Weibo page since then, just to show my Chinese followers that Lee Bowyer has changed and matured. Most of Chinese football fans only knew him for his bad behaviours (notably the on-pitch fight with Dyer) as a player. I've spent time telling them he's not what they think he is. 

So it is quite sad to see him turn into a bad mode. The way he has treated some of the players is definitely wrong in my opinion. But I will never 'hate' him. How can you 'hate' him? The Wembley final is and will always be one of my fondest memories despite it seems like light years ago now. He's ten times better than most of the people that Duchatelet appointed. I had zero feelings towards those people when they were our managers. Bowyer on the other hand at least started his football career here so there's a connection. I sincerely hope he can stop the rot and the team can start to climb up the league table. But sadly the chances of it happening seem low at the moment. Is it possible that Curbs can give him some advice especially on man-mangement and how to deal with pressure as a manager?.... :D 

This. Post of the week for me
  • Options

Perhaps I could provide a small example of what Lee Bowyer is like, and regurgitate an anecdote I told once before. I "won" a chance at the Crossbar challenge and nominated my teenage son for reasons you can guess. Part of the package is to train with u18s at Sparrows Lane a couple of days before the game. Our session was the day after the takeover by our fake sheikh and the charm merchant Southall - November 2019? I walked in to Sparrows lane reception a few minutes after my son and found him chatting to Lee and Keith Peacock. Lee asked why he was there and then offered to coach my son. He spent 30 minutes coaching my son, with the U18s joining in, and seeming very relaxed in his company. Lee was patience itself and could not have been more friendly. Given he had a major game to manage the next day and probably umpteen meetings with new the owners and other leeches, it was act of kindness I won't forget.

I haven't got a Scooby what happens in the changing room. But I do know the Lee Bowyer I met for half an hour was a relaxed and generous man despite the whirl of events that surrounded him at that time.

Outrageous. I'm fuming. He should be giving all his attention to the first team at such a critical time. No wonder we went down last year with his attention split like this. Bowyer out!

Joking ofc - A nice story and good memory for you and your son 

and my son missed as well by about a yard - shows Bows isn't a good coach!

I knew I should have taken it...

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:
    Tell you one thing, this thread highlights there is a hell of a lot more education to be done around mental health. Men's mental health especially.
    I can't belive the some of the reactions to it, and people wonder why there is a thread about "why is it so hard to talk about mental health" almost permanently on the front page. 
    Exactly mate. It's staggering how many people's reaction to hearing a rumour about a man being reduced to tears at his workplace is 'oh well, it's football'.
    People’s dismissal of the issue could be considered as part of the problem, if those people are challenged as to why they are dismissing it, to the point of them losing their temper; this could also be a way of avoiding the issue.
    some people have such a stigma attached to talking about mental health that they would rather resort to violence and ridicule than tackle it (pun) head on. This does sound ridiculous I know, but it’s true and the situation is ridiculous when you look at it.
    But that still won’t make theses ‘old schoolers’ face the problem.

There is a lot to be said for the ‘blitz mentality’ and it did achieve a lot, but it also papered over a hell of a lot, and a lot of that is still present in our world today.
  • Options
    Appealing Chuks's red card is the work of the delusional.
    We all know CA didn't go looking to whack the seasider but he caught him bang on the jaw with a flying elbow - even without a shitforbrains egomaniac overweight bearded wankstain called Huxtable for referee, that's a red card all day long in every game.
    All that appealing against it is gonna achieve is adding a match or two to Chuks's suspension.
    I'm not sure 4 (5or6) games off for Chuks is all bad news.
    Rose tinted specs on: maybe, just maybe Chuks could dedicate the time to absolutely definitely getting himself y'know actually fit and strong enough to be a fulltime professional footballer, like he's been paid to be these last several years?  No more of this pissing about "oh he can't play 2 games a week, we have to manage him carefully", pandering piss weak excuse making bullshit.  He's nearly 28 FFS.
    He's supposed to be a professional athlete - chief occupational hazard, whatever the athletic pursuit, is always pain - suck it up or go do something you're better suited to.
    FA's independent makeitupaswegoalong commission as predictable as ever - never let the rules get in the way of creativity.
    Did they weigh (that's a pun) all of Huxtable's galumphing wuckfittery and attempt to redress some of the harm done?
    That's obviously way way beyond their remit but it's the only rationale that fits here.
    Trouble is, having the glass mannequin available for selection ain't gonna help Bowyer field a side that will have a flying fornication's chance of stopping the Latics from sorting out their goal difference 😖
  • Options
    So if I'm correct the current state of play on behind the scenes dressing room harmony is that:

@Covered_End_Lad - has mentioned an incident where Bowyer reduced Williams to tears and other senior pros had to step in. 

@MuttleyCAFC - has mentioned that Bowyer is apparently wierd/unsupportive around the younger players.

@J-Block - was told by a player in the dressing room the Bowyer has lost the plot.

If these things are true. The two questions I have are:

Why was the dressing room apparently so great during our promotion year. What's happened to change that ethos.

If things are as bad behind the scenes as people are making out, why would it change under a new set of players, and indeed would good players would even want to come to us? 

We need a Matt Holland situation - where he allegedly went in to see the chairman at half time and said “we can’t play for that manager”. 

I think the promotion year was an easy one for Bowyer - he had some quality players and couldn’t really go wrong. But let’s not forget, that season he still managed to handle a couple of players badly - Marshall and Fosu spring to mind. He made a hash of last season (yes he did have injury problems, the Southall saga and the Lyle Taylor situation  to contend with), but the way he set us up after lockdown was a joke. We had numerous opportunities to get out of jail......Brentford away 1-0 up with 15 left. Makes dreadful substitutions and we lose 2-1. Birmingham away, shocking subs at 1-0 up and we draw.

Speaking of Taylor, Bowyer was pissed off he wasn’t going to play, but he never publicly slaughtered him in the way he has players this season. This is a bloke who left us in the shit, yet still got clapped out of the training ground. 

In a nutshell, Bowyer is out of depth, lacks the fundamental man management skills that are needed and doesn’t take any responsibility. 

I really hope TS pulls the trigger - if we need to lose tomorrow and Saturday for that to happen, then so be it.  I’d take that if it meant we don’t have this poor excuse for a manager come Sunday. 
    Crikey, it's turning into a lynch mob
  • Options
    It would be a sad end to what looked like it would be such a great partnership between Bowyer and Charlton. If the rumours are true his position is definitely untenable and with the way things are going with Bowyer in charge and seemingly no hope of a change in fortunes, we are on course for our worst league position since 1926. 

I don't want to dislike Bowyer but some of the stuff that's happened recently is crossing the line. The day he turned on the 2000 fans allowed back into the Valley for not drumming up an atmosphere is the day he lost a lot of people's respect.

I said if he didn't go after the Blackpool defeat then it's likely he'll be the one to rebuild in summer. He is still here but if we do lose tonight, I wouldn't be surprised if Sandgaard does let him go.
  • Options
    Having read many posts relating to the rumours of what LB has done, giving credence to reasons behind this awful run. And I have already said that if these comments are true, Bowyer for me should go.
    What I do find strange, given how long this has been going on, is why this hasn’t this been addressed by the club? Given Charlton are a leading light, and take a strong stance regarding community trust, mental health, well being, racism, and many more social issues affecting us all these days. Surely there are people within the club, who players could relay the more toxic behaviour to, and the matter be dealt with. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!