Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    You can't ignore a leg spinner having a first class bowling average of 23 for long.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Blooding a legspinner against India in a non-dead rubber is probably the worst idea in the history of bad selection ideas, unless you're willing to accept that this might happen

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/india-tour-of-australia-1991-92-62295/australia-vs-india-3rd-test-63565/full-scorecard

Parkinson at The Oval might be the plan, although if it's a deciding Test...
    On balance, many would say that Shane Warne's career was broadly successful. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Leuth said:
    Blooding a legspinner against India in a non-dead rubber is probably the worst idea in the history of bad selection ideas, unless you're willing to accept that this might happen

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/india-tour-of-australia-1991-92-62295/australia-vs-india-3rd-test-63565/full-scorecard

Parkinson at The Oval might be the plan, although if it's a deciding Test...
    On balance, many would say that Shane Warne's career was broadly successful. 
    Shouldn't that be "baldly successful " ? 
  • Options
    edited July 2021

England men's players will meet with the England and Wales Cricket Board as some consider pulling out of this winter's Ashes if their families are not allowed to travel to Australia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57976072

Don Bradman would be turning in his grave, but I appreciate mental wellbeing is a huge thing in the modern world

Not sure what to make of this.  Thoughts??

• Options

England men's players will meet with the England and Wales Cricket Board as some consider pulling out of this winter's Ashes if their families are not allowed to travel to Australia.

Don Bradman would be turning in his grave, but I appreciate mental wellbeing is a huge thing in the modern world

It's good to start the talks sooner rather than later.  If the sticking point is the Australian government's intransigence over quarantine rules for partners, expect a lot of players deciding to pull out, the ECB threatening to cancel the tour and the Aussie government caving. 

There's precedent. The Australian (and New Zealand) teams pulled out of the Rugby League world cup.  Hardly anyone noticed.  If England pulled out of the Ashes, it would be a disaster for the Australian government.. 
  • Options
    I think the players should just go. It's their job. People in the services are often away from home for 6 months or more. 
  • Options
    I think the players should just go. It's their job. People in the services are often away from home for 6 months or more. 
    I’d like to think the people in the services knew that when they signed up , where as cricketers would have believed different .
  • Options
    I’d like to think the people in the services knew that when they signed up , where as cricketers would have believed different .
    Exactly and now they know the situation they can choose whether to sign up or not. I wouldn’t blame any player who decides against going.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

It's good to start the talks sooner rather than later.  If the sticking point is the Australian government's intransigence over quarantine rules for partners, expect a lot of players deciding to pull out, the ECB threatening to cancel the tour and the Aussie government caving. 

There's precedent. The Australian (and New Zealand) teams pulled out of the Rugby League world cup.  Hardly anyone noticed.  If England pulled out of the Ashes, it would be a disaster for the Australian government.. 
    there’s a lot of very hacked off Australians at the moment. Yes the government have contained the virus well, but their attitude to returning expats is disgusting and Australians (or at least the ones I know) are getting very shifty about the slow vaccine rollout there. They need to get their act together. 
  • Options
    I believe an England cricketer gets paid quite a lot more than any serviceman! 

Also I notice they don't threaten to pull out of T20 world cup or IPL because their families aren't allowed. They jet off there to earn megabucks without any thought for their families. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Exactly and now they know the situation they can choose whether to sign up or not. I wouldn’t blame any player who decides against going.
    I think a lot of it is based off players going to Pakistan on a white ball warm-up tour , then the T20 WC in the UAE and then The Ashes, then there's a tour to the West Indies next March. 
  • Options
    redman said:

Also I notice they don't threaten to pull out of T20 world cup or IPL because their families aren't allowed. They jet off there to earn megabucks without any thought for their families. 
    If the T20 World Cup or the IPL were four-month tournaments taking place over Christmas, I imagine some players with young families would want their families with them. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    redman said:

T20 tournaments are what , 3-4 weeks if you get to the final. I’m assuming that players find that acceptable. Spending 1/4 of a year away from your family is completely different. 

Regardless of your job and salary, what would you do if you were sent away for 3 months 4 years ago and could take your family only to be offered the same contract now but your family had to stay at home. Would you take it? Would you try and negotiate that they be allowed to travel?

just because they are handsomely rewarded sportsmen doesn’t mean that they have to take shit just because they are well paid.

edit

what would motivate Joe root more, spending down time with his young family, possibly seeing his youngest walk and talk for the first time or seeing the above on a WhatsApp call?
  • Options
    I'm sure if service men and women could safely bring their families along with them, they would. 
  • Options
    Not gonna lie I am slightly hoping the ahses gets delayed a year - not least because I think the test side will be in a much better place in a years time but also because I did have a month long trip to Aus planned for this winter and was going to coincide with watching a day (or 5 of test cricket) all purely by accident of course! Now that trip has been pushed back a year it would be pretty great if the Ashes were also put back a year.
    yeah, got quite a few friends who live in oz now - went to see them just before covid hit. Although next winter would be just after my wedding, so think flight's and tickets might be a bit too dear!
  • Options
    We were also hoping to go this year but have settled for a provisional trip to Barbados in March for the windies.  If that ends up not happening, and the ashes gets postponed it's a good back up!  
  • Options
    The only thing I'd wonder about it being put back a year is will it be much different in a year?  Aus and NZ are going down the very strict quarantine route for a while I'd imagine.
  • Options
    The only thing I'd wonder about it being put back a year is will it be much different in a year?  Aus and NZ are going down the very strict quarantine route for a while I'd imagine.
    rumours are q4 next year they'll start letting international travellers back in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Obviously I wish Ben well

I imagine he was one of the players reluctant to tour Australia without their families being there
  • Options
    Didnt seem to bother him when playing in the IPL. Hey ho. 
  • Options
    what a waste of DNA you are
  • Options

What a horrible thing to say.
  • Options
    This came out of nowhere - it's a bit of a shocker.

Hope the lad can recover and we get to see him in action again.

This isn't just a tragedy for Stokes and English cricket; it's a tragedy for cricket, full stop.

Get well soon, Ben.
  • Options
    Before you start yea it was a joke and and yes I know the England players were not available 
  • Options
    The really sad thing is that there will be any number of pro cricketers who are suffering in the same way but believe that they cannot afford to admit to to their county let alone go public. The ones who have little time left on their current contracts and who recognise that the any admittance of this could result in the end of their careers. The county should have a duty of care but who is going to pick a batsman or bowler who is not just out of form but mentally shot to pieces as a result?

Equally, there is a reason why cricket has the highest percentage of suicides especially amongst ex players. There is just too much time for self analysis and with that can come self destruction. Leaving for a game on a Wednesday afternoon, spending four nights in a hotel and not getting home 'til the Sunday night, having failed with bat and/or ball. This isn't quite the same as having a bad 90 minutes of football but getting back home that night.

I played a  couple of games with an up and coming lad back in the early 1980s by the name of Danny Kelleher. He went on to be on the Kent staff for half a dozen years, taking 6 wickets on his debut and also scoring a 50 against the Windies in a tour match. He was then released by Kent and joined Surrey but never played a game for them. At the age of 29 he took his own life by overdosing on the anti depressants that had been prescribed to help him with his issues.

Stokes isn't the first high profile player to admit to such issues and I hope that he won't be the last. The PCA do a tremendous job but Stokes going public might just help those further down the food chain to seek help too.

I played against Danny in school cricket and my dad was friendly with his dad, John.
    It was so desperately sad to lose a young man in the prime of his life.
    As you rightly say, cricket can be a cruel game, particularly at the top level and we can only hope that the Stokes case will help to increase awareness of this issue throughout the game.