Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Christmas songs? Bah humbug!

Comments

• Options
    Do they know it's Christmas?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Do they know it's Christmas?
    Correct.  Band aid, 84 & 89.  Then again in 2004
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited December 2020
    I remember being in a dingey bar in Rochester many moons ago one Xmas, DJ wasnt upto much, cheesy songs, until the last record of the night, got my fingers wet with some chav slapper 
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    My daughter's been trying to get me to like Christmas songs too. She's done me an advent calendar with a spotify link a day. They're all been obscure so far and not the sort of thing you'd hear on the radio but I've generally liked them: so far I've had 
    Nice Time by Toots and the Maytals, Christmas is going to the dogs by Eels, Space Christmas by Allo Darlin, Someday at Christmas by Jack Johnson, This Christmas by The Whispers, Lonely Man of Winter by Sufjan Stevens. So obscure, but I can't fault the effort (or most of the songs TBH).

The one well-known one I quite like apart from the Pogues is Christmas Rapping by the Waitresses
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nud2TQNahaU

Funnily enough, as I've got older and mellower, I'm a lot more relaxed about traditional carols, but you won't hear them on the radio normally. 

Your daughter sounds great and well done you for being willing to give them a go. 

I’m a big fan of The Waitresses’ one. 
  • Options
    Spice girls 3 years in a row 
  • Options
    2 Bohemian rhapsody- queen
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Beatles as well
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Yes, can you give me the years and the songs?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Beatles as well
    Didn’t know that.  Thanks 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    2 Bohemian rhapsody- queen
    Correct.  75 and 91.  91 of course being the year Freddie passed :-(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How are you for that last one @MrOneLung?  Same song, but two different artists.  
  • Options
    Struggling with that one cabbies. 
    You could say Do they know it’s Christmas as wasn’t it Band Aid 2 who released the later song 

spice girls was 2 become 1 , goodbye and one other one. No idea re which Beatles songs though 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Christmas (Baby please come home) - Michael Buble version

Feck off with your Buble. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    You could say Do they know it’s Christmas as wasn’t it Band Aid 2 who released the later song 

spice girls was 2 become 1 , goodbye and one other one. No idea re which Beatles songs though 
    Good work.  Spice girls were 96,97 & 98 and the songs were 

19962 BECOME 1
    1997TOO MUCH
    1998GOODBYE

The Beatles were 

1963I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND
    1964I FEEL FINE
    1965DAY TRIPPER/WE CAN WORK IT OUT   

They also had number one in 1967 with Hello Goodbye

The other one is tough, it’s actually Mary’s Boy Child, sung by Harry Belafonte in 1957, and then again by Boney M in 1978
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Which was the only act to be on both Band Aid and Band Aid II versions of Do the know its xmas
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

Which was the only act to be on both Band Aid and Band Aid II versions of Do the know its xmas
    Geldof?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

Bono
  • Options
    No to both
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    My family is giving me grief because I have announced that I basically can’t stand the vast majority of Christmas songs. As soon as one comes on the radio, I start moaning and groaning like an old Scrooge.

So far I’ve admitted to liking only three Christmas songs ever made:
    - Fairytale of New York by the Pogues and Kirsty MacColl (much discussed already this year)
    - 2,000 miles by the Pretenders
    - Stop the Cavalry by Jona Lewie

Surely there are some others out there. What am I missing? Or am I just being a miserable sod who should lighten up and sing along to Wham and Cliff Richard? 

AshBurton - a band called Bah & The Humbugs "Ruining The Holiday Season Since 1985" should be right up your street.  I can particularly recommend Inadmissible (about Santa failing to get past the US Border Force); Christmas Tree From Hell and Santa Pulled Down My Icicle Lights.  Listen to the full repertoire here: http://fjordstone.com/bah/download.html
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    I remember being in a dingey bar in Rochester many moons ago one Xmas, DJ wasnt upto much, cheesy songs, until the last record of the night, got my fingers wet with some chav slapper 
    Did she spill her drink?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really surprised that this one doesn't get the airtime it deserves.

By far the best Christmas song ever written.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af7LwnA913g&has_verified=1
  • Options

Awful.  Commits the crime of being a comedy song without being funny.  Why am I not surprised a Spanner liked this?
  • Options

Awful.  Commits the crime of being a comedy song without being funny.  Why am I not surprised a Spanner liked this?
    You sound like a right giggle to be around.

The fact you say it's a comedy song means it's subjective. Not awful, just not for you. That's it.

It was also posted in jest, which you massively missed. Why am I not surprised you missed it?
  • Options
    Perhaps this is worthy of a complementary thread but I'm getting back into the carols this year. For me, the GOATed carol is the Harold Darke setting of In The Bleak Midwinter (rather than Gustav Holst's more familiar setting): 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3FwwnLvELw

Any opinions are welcome. I'd also like to give a shoutout to the Elizabeth Poston setting of Jesus Christ The Apple Tree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPJBFYuUWvY
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:'
    MrOneLung said:

Bananarama
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

Dizzee Rascal?
  • Options
    "Crackerdile Shoes"?
  • Options

You sound like a right giggle to be around.

The fact you say it's a comedy song means it's subjective. Not awful, just not for you. That's it.

It was also posted in jest, which you massively missed. Why am I not surprised you missed it?
    Obviously I missed that it was posted in jest.  I'd never considered that because all the Spanners I know think "irony" means made of iron.
  • Options
    Lonely this Christmas by elvis